PDA

View Full Version : Armadynamics Ambi Charging Handle

Gutshot John
05-03-10, 20:17
Caveat: I haven't contacted the manufacturer simply because I can't find any contact information. I purchased the charging handle through a retailer but since it's probably well out of warranty I'm sure they couldn't even cover it. If anyone has contact information for Armadynamics I'd love to hear what they say.

Subjective: I purchased it about 14 months ago to put on a Colt, as a lefty I've decided I prefer being able to function the weapon as a righty would. Since then I've run it for about 5-6K rounds without any problems until his weekend at the group shoot I had some trouble with it.

Concept:The ambi charging handle relies on a hinged release that is activated with rearward movement of the charging handle. There is a very tiny "tab" to unlock it in the traditional location but I've never had to use it before. It is a more complex device than the traditional charging handle.

Problems:The problems started slowly at first (once or twice in the middle of a drill) but then became permanent. Essentially the rearward pull would not unlock the charging handle. The hinge release seems to have lost a spring or pin or both.

Assessment:After ~5K rounds I can't say I'm totally miffed. It seems to me that stuff breaks on a rifle and the charging handle is no exception. I'd have preferred that it would last longer but the concept worked very well if you're a lefty tired of fumblef#*king your rifle. I'm curious as to how the company responds when I can find them. Though inconvenient the failure did NOT render the firearm inoperable or induce any malfunction. It has a built-in redundancy so I simply had to revert back to the traditional method of operating the charging handle. I really like the mechanism I just need a bit more confidence in its durability.

Plan: Switching back to a PRI handle or probably picking up a gunfighter and see how well it works for a lefty. I'll let you guys know what the company says.

militarymoron
05-03-10, 21:47
PM sent with company contact info.

Gutshot John
05-06-10, 18:15
Thanks to the good offices of Militarymoron I spoke with Tom from Armadynamics today.

He said to send it back and they'd replace it no questions asked. He also said that significant improvements have been made to the mechanism in the past year (subsequent to the purchase of my handle) and that I would be very happy with the new model.

You gotta love that customer service.

Hoss356
05-06-10, 23:18
That's good to hear, I keep hoping that the customer service of a lot of firearms companies catches on in some of the other industries.

Gutshot John
06-01-10, 07:55
UPDATE:

Got my brandie-new charging handle back from Armadynamics. As promised there were several visible improvements to the design most notably what looks like a delrin slider between the t-handle and the "rod."

It became clear that in talking to Armadynamic prior to sending it in that the problem was mostly me. The design of the ambi handle requires that the bolt apply some forward tension on the charging handle for the hinge mechanism to work properly. If the bolt is locked to the rear, simply pulling on the right side won't disengage the latch. You have to roll it over and activate it the traditional way from the left side. It really isnt' a big deal as I wouldn't sling-shot the handle in most circumstances on a bolt lock-back anyways. It does however complicate dry-fire/malfunction drills.

Despite the problem being my own, Armadynamics was intent on replacing my handle because they thought I'd be "very happy with the new improvements and we want to make sure our customers get taken care of."

As stated originally I've been very happy with the handle in general and to get a company stand behind their product even after I've had it for more than a year and used it quite extensively is a first-rate experience.

Thanks to Armadynamics and to MilitaryMoron for hooking me up with contact information.

militarymoron
06-01-10, 10:44
glad to hear that it armament dynamics stands behind their products. thanks for the update.

10MMGary
06-01-10, 11:57
I am a left handed shooter and use left handed AR uppers. I had been on the fence on getting one, but after reading how the manufacturer took care of a customer I took the plunge and ordered it. FWIW I just ordered one from Botach tactical, with the discount code offered on their website it cost $87.87 delivered to the Tampa FL area. I am looking forward to putting it through some use.

BTW I am not affiliated with Botach tactical in any way other than being a first time customer. They popped up when I did a foogle search on Armadynamics.

steeltoe
06-02-10, 00:18
I've been waiting patiently for Troy to produce theirs but this brand might be what I need. Thanks for the info.

10MMGary
06-10-10, 21:08
Mine arrived yesterday via UPS, not sure why they don't send them USPS as it would be much cheaper, but hey I knew going in they used UPS and it shipped within a day or two from the day I ordered it.

It dropped right in my CMT/Stag left handed upper and I will see how it fairs this weekend during actual firing situations. Just doing simple drills at home in the workshop it is already proved to me I should have bought one sooner.

FWIW mine came with a printed explanation, aka the "ACLM Charging Handle Supplemental Instruction Sheet" on the need for some forward tension for proper functioning without using the "manual latch override button". Seems well built enough, time will tell.

circuit
06-10-10, 22:56
does anybody have this and a bcm gunfighther. I purchased a gunfighter recently and I love how sturdy it feels and everything about it. And I want to try this but I don't know if it will have that same feeling. Also, can you pull it back with just like one side using the palm of your hand or do you have to pull from both sides?
Thanks

10MMGary
06-11-10, 09:16
does anybody have this and a bcm gunfighther. I purchased a gunfighter recently and I love how sturdy it feels and everything about it. And I want to try this but I don't know if it will have that same feeling. Also, can you pull it back with just like one side using the palm of your hand or do you have to pull from both sides?
Thanks

I don't have any experience with the BCM GF, but I did just charge/cycle mine(ACLM charging handle)using the palm of my right hand(I am a lefty). I have a MBUIS and an EOTech 553 mounted so there is not a lot of space for a really secure purchase on the left side of the charging handle using only my palm, but I was able to cycle it relatively easily and repeatedly. I was also able to cycle it from the left side using my left hand palm but not nearly as easy due to the forward assist protruding out from the receiver. I hope this helped or at least made sense:D.

Gutshot John
06-11-10, 09:34
Thanks

Yes they are of equal strength. I believe both are milled rather than cast.

The palm method isn't really the standard anymore since it occasionally results in a bent handle. The preferred method is a one handed pinch.

circuit
06-11-10, 11:51
yeah lol i wanted to say the one handed but at the time I couldn't figure out how to describe it so thats why I just said the palm. And 10MMgary thanks A lot but like if you have used a regular charging handle which I'm sure you probably have you can charger it with either hand but like it's not the same as a gunfighter I don't know I think I'm just going to have to purchase the ACLM and see for myself but thanks so much anyways.

militarymoron
06-11-10, 12:20
circuit - i have both the ACLM and gunfighters. if you're a righty, and like the gunfighter, then stick with it. if you're a lefty looking for an ambi CH, then that rules out the gunfighter. i find the ACLM more efficient for me to use (using the 'pinch' gutshot john described) than any right-handed CH i've ever used, simply because i don't have to roll the rifle over or reach over. also, you'll REALLY appreciate it if you have a scope.

circuit
06-11-10, 12:27
militarymoron but like do you get what I'm saying, like with a traditional charging handle if you try to pull with one side it's not sturdy and it seems like its coming at an angle, is that the case with the aclm?
Thanks A lot

edit:bad grammar

militarymoron
06-11-10, 14:39
the serrations on the ACLM handle help provide purchase for the 'pinch', which give you more control over how you're pulling the handle. i feel that i can get a straighter-back pull with the ACLM than with a standard charging handle, and don't induce as much of a side load into it.
how much side load is introduced into the charging handle has a lot to do with the user and how they grab and pull back on it.