PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioned Glocks?

Dunderway
05-03-10, 21:20
I did a search but couldn't find anything other than a couple of mentions of them.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I decided that I needed to have a G19 recently, and the only thing local that I could find was a shop that had several reconditioned ones. Price wasn't bad for the area so I went ahead and bought one.

I know a smarter man would have asked here first, but I decided to go ahead and get one. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

M4arc
05-03-10, 21:25
Fear not my friend the reconditioned Glocks are, for the most part, good to go. In fact I know people that specifically seek them out because they wind up getting a like new Glock for a used Glock price!

When departs upgrade or switch Glock buys them back and goes through them with a fine tooth comb; replacing parts, springs, test firing and cleaning.

You did good so go enjoy your new Glock!

Dunderway
05-03-10, 21:38
Awesome, that gives me a lot of confidence in my purchase. It has a number scrolled into the underside of the triggerguard, I assume this is some sort of PD issue number or did Glock do this for some reason?

Oscar 319
05-03-10, 21:51
Absolutely GTG.

Around here they (reconditioned or "turn in" G19's) go faster than they can hit the shelf. Did you get a Gen 2 or 3?

I'd like to find me a Gen 2 G19.

Gutshot John
05-03-10, 21:54
Absolutely GTG.

Though don't be surprised if you end up getting a finish more like park than the newer Glock finish.

SeriousStudent
05-03-10, 21:59
I have three, bought them all used.

A factory-reconditioned Gen 3 G19, and a Gen 2 G19 and Gen 3 G17.

The last two I just ordered the parts from Top Gun Supply, and did the work myself. It's honestly not hard to take apart a Glock, and put it back together. You can find all the videos you need on YouTube.

I think the most I paid was $400 shipped for the G17.

I'd love to find a used G26 to refurb.

DacoRoman
05-03-10, 22:58
I sent a Gen 2 G17 that was in my family since 89 to Glock for a parts upgrade and they upgraded the parts for free, and re-Tennifered the slide, all for FREE.

So if you find a used Glock, even if its un-refurbished, I suspect that Glock would refurbish it and refinish it for free (of course I can't promise that so don't hold me to it if they don't :) )

Dunderway
05-03-10, 23:08
Absolutely GTG.

Around here they (reconditioned or "turn in" G19's) go faster than they can hit the shelf. Did you get a Gen 2 or 3?

I'd like to find me a Gen 2 G19.

It is a Gen 3, which is what I wanted (light mount). I was looking for a new G19 with plastic sights, so I could replace them with 10-8s. This one comes with Glock night sights, but I'll give them a fair try before I buy anything else.

Dunderway
05-03-10, 23:10
Absolutely GTG.

Though don't be surprised if you end up getting a finish more like park than the newer Glock finish.

I considered buying a brand new G26, and held them side by side. The finish seemed to be identical. I've always thought park was a great finish, so it won't hurt my feelings if that's what it is.

bkb0000
05-03-10, 23:16
I'd love to find a used G26 to refurb.

i've been searching high and lo. the 19s and 17s are hard enough to get your grubbers on, the 26s are like purple jackalopes. i dont think they get too many of them back.. and probably almost none through the buy-back program.

Dunderway
05-03-10, 23:44
i've been searching high and lo. the 19s and 17s are hard enough to get your grubbers on, the 26s are like purple jackalopes. i dont think they get too many of them back.. and probably almost none through the buy-back program.

Last time I was visiting family I saw a guy contemplating a $200 trade in for his very nice G26 with 5 ro 6 mags, at a local shop. I kick myself for not following him to the parking lot and offering $250 cash.

ck1
05-04-10, 00:15
In my experience Glocks don't really wear out, new, old, 100rds or 10,000, they just become somebody else's Glock...

Assy Mcgee
05-04-10, 01:41
in my area one my shops has some unissued Detroit pd GEN2 glock 23's for $499.

hard to find an unused gen 2 nowadays...

deuce9166
05-04-10, 06:44
I am pretty sure the factory refurbished guns also have the same warranty.

DocH
05-04-10, 08:42
The upgrades are free. I picked up my third Gen.2 G19 back last summer that looked like hell but worked fine. I live within an hour and a half from Glock,Smyrna so I took it down. All new internals in frame and slide,springs,everything. I did have to pay $60.00 to refinish the slide and barrel,and $52.00 for new Glock night sights,but that's really nothing for basically a brand new pistol.

They told me 4 weeks approximately turn around. They call a week and a half later to tell me it was ready.Went down and picked it up. Very happy with the service. I got it on an even trade for an older revolver that never got used anymore,so very little invested in it.
Shoots like a house-a-fire,just like they all do.:cool:

ROCKET20_GINSU
05-04-10, 16:54
Glocks are the only guns I buy used without reservation. In my humble opinion, in their 9mm offerings, they are about as bombproof as guns get so I don't worry about function. As long as its in stock or close to stock configuration there is little that the prior owner could have done to stop it from running. So enjoy your new blaster :D

GU

Dunderway
05-14-10, 18:35
Just wanted to follow up on this thread. The CA JOD waiting period finally just ended (Lord it was long) and happened to fall on my graduation day. So I just got home from shooting 200 rounds of WWB out of my grad present to myself.:)

The pistol looks brand new. It has the new style extractor, but is an older two pin, 3rd Gen frame. Please correct me if my nomenclature is incorrect, as I am very new to glocks.

I am very impressed at how accurate and all around shootable this little pistol is, as I've never fired a 9mm Glock until now. I appreciate the advice from everyone on M4C (it's never failed), and will probably be hunting down a twim shortly.

I'd post a pick, but I'm sure everyone has seen a stock G19 before.

skyugo
05-15-10, 01:54
Just wanted to follow up on this thread. The CA JOD waiting period finally just ended (Lord it was long) and happened to fall on my graduation day. So I just got home from shooting 200 rounds of WWB out of my grad present to myself.:)

The pistol looks brand new. It has the new style extractor, but is an older two pin, 3rd Gen frame. Please correct me if my nomenclature is incorrect, as I am very new to glocks.

I am very impressed at how accurate and all around shootable this little pistol is, as I've never fired a 9mm Glock until now. I appreciate the advice from everyone on M4C (it's never failed), and will probably be hunting down a twim shortly.

2 pin 3rd gen? i'd actually like to see a pic of that. i thought all the 3rd gens were 3 pin. (don't forget the pin on the backstrap)
3rd gen frames=accesory rail+finger grooves
anyway, you got yourself the number one recommended gun on this and many other forums, should be good to go. i got 7 or 8000 rounds through mine :D

Dunderway
05-16-10, 23:31
2 pin 3rd gen? i'd actually like to see a pic of that. i thought all the 3rd gens were 3 pin. (don't forget the pin on the backstrap)
3rd gen frames=accesory rail+finger grooves
anyway, you got yourself the number one recommended gun on this and many other forums, should be good to go. i got 7 or 8000 rounds through mine :D

I knew I'd get something wrong in that post. I thought that the pin count only concerned the pins that go through the trigger and locking block. After looking through some pics of older Glocks, I see that mine is a "3-pin".

opmike
05-17-10, 01:04

Nonsense.

Guns are like women. Seen one of them...you wanna see the rest of them :D

GermanSynergy
05-17-10, 12:47
Nothing wrong with a reconditioned Glock. I have one I bought years ago (Gen II 17) that was carried alot and shot very little. I just refurbed it and it shoots as well as a new pistol.

Need Help
05-17-10, 21:29
My first GLOCK was a factory reconditioned model 17. If you separate the slide from the frame and look down onto the frame (in the area where the recoil spring would be housed), opposite the serial number plate, you will see a number stamped there. That's the "bench" that did the recondition at GLOCK. Mine's number 7.

dcs12345
05-18-10, 14:17
I just bought a police trade-in gen 2 model 22 from Mark summitgunbroker.com

He told me that he is expecting some more model 23 Gen 2s soon for y'all finger grove haters (me included).

TY44934
05-18-10, 14:29
These are good buys. Glock backs up their product - without question. Even where a reloader makes a mistake & blows up a gun, Glock will usually replace the frame & other parts at dealer cost (though the damage was not Glock's fault at all).

A close friend bought 2 police trade in G17s (his & hers) for competition use (we shoot USPSA). The ONLY difficulty I have ever heard of comes from the damage caused by dropping a Glock slide onto a concrete floor & having it hit the rear underside corner; under this VERY RARE circumstance, the rail can crack at that point. ONE of his police trade in G17s had such a crack. The dealer replaced the slide without question.

Buy without hesitation.

SeriousStudent
05-20-10, 21:30
Woot!!

I just scored a used G-26 off Craigslist (of all places) for $400. :D

Now I have that backup I have wanted for my church blazer.

Uh, Robb, can you do another sight install for me?

TheSmiter1
05-21-10, 01:42
Woot!!

I just scored a used G-26 off Craigslist (of all places) for $400. :D

Now I have that backup I have wanted for my church blazer.

Uh, Robb, can you do another sight install for me?

I didn't think firearm sales were allowed on cragslist. I haven't used it in a while, so things could have changed...

bkb0000
05-21-10, 09:56
I didn't think firearm sales were allowed on cragslist. I haven't used it in a while, so things could have changed...

they are not.. but people still do it. i've sold several on CL

SeriousStudent
05-21-10, 17:20

Correct, his ad was deleted about 2 hours after he posted it. And it was very craftily worded.

But he did include a contact method, and we arranged the sale.