PDA

View Full Version : Glock 34 vs. SW M&P 9 Pro?

mwt1980
05-03-10, 23:42
Can't decide which one to get..

What do you guys think?

I own a Glock and an M&P.. like them both if i had to lean one way i would lean towards the m&p.

ck1
05-03-10, 23:54
I've had both, in my experience the M&P's are less reliable (still far more reliable than most) and while you can get a great trigger pull and break out of an M&P with a little gunsmithing, their weaker reset which you can shorten but not add much more snap to had me experiencing trigger-freeze now and then. I had 3 strikers snap on me during dry-fire practice and once I got sick of talking to S&W CS to get replacements I went back to the Glock. Plus, once you doctor up an M&P trigger it's hard to go back without another sear handy or the option of changing it slightly with a trigger spring or connector change like with a Glock. Also, if an M&P needs any extractor work which sometimes happens you'd better be prepared to really wack the s**t out of that pin to remove it as S&W uses a 20,000lb press to put that factory extractor pin in there.
IMO unless you really need the shorter trigger-reach and smaller grip the small M&P back-straps deliver, I'd choose the G34.

Oscar 319
05-04-10, 00:00
I don't know what your intended use is, but between the two, I would take the G34 in a heart beat.

I am a huge M&P fan, however, IMO the Glock 9mm can't be beat.

In .40 and .45, it's a different story.

Bryan W
05-04-10, 00:29
I'm going to echo some of what's been said already. I've owned both and have also broken several strikers in the M&P... Always had spares though so it wasn't a big deal to fix - all busted in dry fire. Had some extraction issues as well with the PRO so I sold it, along with my two 4" 9mms. I still shoot Glocks. I do like the M&P..ergos are awesome, and its a damn fast shooting gun, but I can shoot the G34 better and just as fast.... I think once they get some more QC issues ironed out I may try them again but for now I'm still firmly in the Glock 9mm camp.

Magsz
05-04-10, 01:12
Man,

What the heck are you guys doing to your strikers to break them? Are you guys handing the guns off to hyperactive psycho dry fire nymphs or something?

I say get whichever pistol you feel fits your hand better. To take it one step further get whichever pistol you shoot better.

They're both good pistols and generally not regarded as carry pistols so the reliability issue is somewhat moot.

Bryan W
05-04-10, 01:33
Man,

What the heck are you guys doing to your strikers to break them? Are you guys handing the guns off to hyperactive psycho dry fire nymphs or something?

I say get whichever pistol you feel fits your hand better. To take it one step further get whichever pistol you shoot better.

They're both good pistols and generally not regarded as carry pistols so the reliability issue is somewhat moot.

No psychos nymphs dude, just dry fire. Just sharing my experience with both guns. Both are solid choices and there are lots of dudes that will report they've had zero issues with their Smiths. I'm a competitive shooter so I tend to beat the hell out of the guns I'm running. It didn't take much beating the break the early gen Smith strikers though...they are pure junk parts. I have no doubts it will be fixed with newer generation parts, though.

Magsz
05-04-10, 01:37
Roger that brother. Im not questioning your findings as i know its definitely the reality.

Im just wondering exactly how much you guys are dry firing to get these bad boys to break. I thought i dry fired alot but apparently not as i cannot get the striker in any of my guns to give up the ghost.

gtmtnbiker98
05-04-10, 06:46
I say go with the G34 as well. I have owned both and my Pro had extraction issues. I have since sold both, but the G34 never gave any issues. Now I prefer the P30L.

JHC
05-04-10, 07:01
I owned a G34 for a spell as well as a 17L and shot them a good bit but not in competition. I shoot and manipulate my Pro 9 a good deal more accurately/quickly than either in "action shooting" type formats.

I've got vastly more time with my entire battery of Glock 9mms than my new Pro9 (just finished 2K rd test) but from the first mag through the Pro 9, this was the case. It was true for my 21 year old (total Glock fanboy btw) also.

The Performance Center trigger is pretty fine on this gun and this imo is the most significant advantage.
I do not consider the Pro 9 the equal of my Glock 9mms as a carry/self defense gun for the reasons stated by others here, on the "problems with M&P" thread here and on Brian Enos' Maku Mozu board but to my satisfaction it offers fine reliability for my level of local club matches.

GaryXD
05-04-10, 07:23
I've owned both and would definitely say go with the M&P. I've had zero issues shooting mine. People keep complaining about the striker issue but if you use a silver striker you won't have problems.

kgwld1
05-04-10, 07:23
I just bought the 34 I went through the same two choices also. what made my mind up besides shooting one better was the Glock is so simple to work on. I now have a 26,19, and a 34.

maximus83
05-04-10, 09:40
I would cast a vote for the M&P Pro. Mine has been absolutely reliable since I purchased it, not a single issue in 1200+ rounds. I love the factory FO front sight, although I replaced mine because I wanted the option to use the Pro in the nightstand. The trigger with the Pro sear has smoothed out nicely, and I am not having any issues with reset, nor do I have any issues with extraction when using WWB ammo (in fact, that's about 90% of what I use). My offhand accuracy with the Pro is slightly better than with an M&P FS, which is probably due to the longer sight radius.

C4IGrant
05-04-10, 09:55
I've had both, in my experience the M&P's are less reliable (still far more reliable than most) and while you can get a great trigger pull and break out of an M&P with a little gunsmithing, their weaker reset which you can shorten but not add much more snap to had me experiencing trigger-freeze now and then. I had 3 strikers snap on me during dry-fire practice and once I got sick of talking to S&W CS to get replacements I went back to the Glock. Plus, once you doctor up an M&P trigger it's hard to go back without another sear handy or the option of changing it slightly with a trigger spring or connector change like with a Glock. Also, if an M&P needs any extractor work which sometimes happens you'd better be prepared to really wack the s**t out of that pin to remove it as S&W uses a 20,000lb press to put that factory extractor pin in there.
IMO unless you really need the shorter trigger-reach and smaller grip the small M&P back-straps deliver, I'd choose the G34.

Some of this info is dated and or not correct.

The new M&P's come with a striker rated for 70,000 dry fires.

Extraction issues with the 9mm are related to the WWB ammo and not all M&P's have issues with this ammo (mine does not).

You can upgrade the trigger in the M&P for $67 dollars (no gunsmith needed).

C4

ROCKET20_GINSU
05-04-10, 17:07
Use the same brand as what you carry, if you carry that is :p

That said, I'm on the glock side of the fence for now. I love my production / SSP gun a G34, w/ warren / sevigny FO sights, VANEK trigger, tru grip, factory extended mag release and slide stop, the thing runs great! Additionally, I've got alot invested in the platform (19, 26, 17, 34) and associated mags, tools, holsters, sights, and trigger time (muscle memory) so moving over to a comparable platform is not extremely attractive at the moment, but if the M&Ps really prove themselves in the upcoming years I'll reevaluate.

But my fiancee and kids for that matter...they may be encouraged to try the M&P out :D In a couple of years if the .40 cal Gen IV glocks don't squash some of the frame flex / tac light issues I may give the line a whirl if I start shooting limited.

GU

kgwld1
05-04-10, 17:57
Amen brother, that's what I wanted to say. Now that I Have my Glock 9mm collection done. I'll spend some more money maybe I'll start my M&P collection. I really don't think you ago wrong with either one. I just started with Glocks .

ShipWreck
05-04-10, 20:55
I have had a Glock 34 before - As I started to get other guns, I found I preferred my P99 to the Glock, and sold the Glock. But, the G34 was my fav Glock. Great gun

mwt1980
05-04-10, 21:53
I am looking to use it as my 3 gun pistol and am also looking to get into some shooting competitions.

Does this change your recommendations?

Or should i save my money and wait to buy an 1911?

Pappabear
05-05-10, 00:07
M&P Pro, just shoot it! the Pro needs nada;

It has a great trigger and great sights. All it needs is some 9mm for breakfast , lunch and dinner.

pb

ranburr
05-05-10, 04:22
Glock = Good

M&P = Bad

jwfuhrman
05-05-10, 06:48
If I had the choice to do it all again, Id probably go with the M&P line for my Carry(45), but the Glock 34 is hard to beat for Competition which is what I use for. Its very easy to shoot. I love my Glock 21SF dearly, but I think the M&P45 would have been a better choice for carry.

Spike59
05-09-10, 09:44
I am a huge Glock fan, but I shot my first match with a G34 yesterday and I was terrible. Just what do you have to do to a Glock to make it more match friendly? My G34 is completely stock. I bought it with the intention of shooting matches with 9mm. I did so bad with my 34 that I am considering shooting my 1911 next month. I had problems with trigger pull. Seems like it would break inconsistently. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated!

kgwld1
05-09-10, 10:38
Just practice with it, try lots of dry firing and get rid of those stock sigjts.

RB-S13
05-09-10, 18:41
They are both great guns. Just pick whatever feels best. Personally I like the M&P.

Bryan W
05-09-10, 22:38
I am a huge Glock fan, but I shot my first match with a G34 yesterday and I was terrible. Just what do you have to do to a Glock to make it more match friendly? My G34 is completely stock. I bought it with the intention of shooting matches with 9mm. I did so bad with my 34 that I am considering shooting my 1911 next month. I had problems with trigger pull. Seems like it would break inconsistently. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated!

Here's a suggestion on the 34, if you're going to use it for competition. Skip the trigger kits - do the .25cent polish job, LW 3.5lb connector, add a butt plug, and Warren/Sevigny or Dawson sights - Dry fire, shoot, and repeat. Grip tape also if you need it...

I wouldnt grade a guns performance so much at your first match... you were likely jerking the crap out of the trigger which happens to all of us...:D

Magic_Salad0892
05-10-10, 01:47
Glock 34.

Also...

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

You can't beat that. ;D

Even if it was a G21 that did it, what does that say about the platform as a whole?

Magic_Salad0892
05-10-10, 02:40
Glock 34.

Also...

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

You can't beat that. ;D

Even if it was a G21 that did it, what does that say about the platform as a whole?