PDA

View Full Version : m4 barrel

colek50
05-04-10, 00:10
mates , what is the difference between the pistol barrel and the carbine barrel?

i saw at m1sales that their pistol barrel has a 11.5 incher barrel (no ffl restrictions) and they have a carbine type barrel at 11.5 inches also with ffl restrictions....

are they the same? with same gas port location?

thank you very much mates...

spamsammich
05-04-10, 02:12
ANY 11.5" barreled upper will be subject to NFA restrictions. This is why you have to skirt NFA restrictions by placing the upper on a lower receiver that is built as a pistol lower receiver. That being said, I hated owning an AR pistol, it wasn't practical for my needs, and I wouldn't buy jack shit from m1s.

I am assuming you were looking at the 11.5" barreled uppers with a permanently attached 5.5" flash hider to avoid NFA restrictions, that's a stupid idea. All of the benefits of a barrel that handles like a 16" barrel and NONE of the benefits. I suppose they make good dirt shooters and arfcom booger picker guns.

colek50
05-04-10, 09:14
thank you for the info ....

but is the gas port position of a 11.5 inch pistol barrel the same as the position of the 11.5 inch carbine barrel?

will appreciate very much your answers bros...

The Morrigan
05-04-10, 09:35
It should be exactly the same.

The only difference between a carbine and a pistol is the pistol upper has to be mated on a lower receiver designate as a pistol lower at its time of manufacture (which I think is what the poster above was trying to say.

The gas port, and everything else, should be the same between the two.

The only reason one would require an FFL would be if you're looking at the complete unit with the lower receiver.

Or, you're looking at an SBR setup, in which case, you need a dealer that can handle NFA firearms.

Oh, and I agree with the above, I'd stay away from Model One Sales.

hellbound
05-04-10, 13:09
i took a quick look over on their website...

those commando style 11.5" barrel looks identical to the 11.5" pistol barrel... but it appears you can't order the 11.5" commando barrel online, you have to call...

some manufacturers and resellers won't sell a <16" barrel without seeing your approved Form 1 to cover their ass... i'm assuming that's what is happening here...

putting an 11.5" barrel on a regular AR15 without tax stamp or without a permanently attached 5.5" flash hider is a NO-GO.
putting an 11.5" barrel on an AR15 pistol, registered SBR or MG is OK.

personally, I would stay away from Model 1 Sales not to mention any company that wants to see my Form 1 before selling me something...

colek50
05-04-10, 22:34
wow, thank you very much for that info bro hellbound...

what store would you recommend? one that would not want to look at our papers first before taking our orders? pls give me their website bro.

thank you very much sir...

spamsammich
05-04-10, 22:41
Are you currently in the Philippines? If not, you will do no better than buying from one of the site sponsors like bravocompany or G&R Tactical. Both carry the BCM line of complete upper receivers which will be the best value out there for a milspec upper.

colek50
05-05-10, 01:32
yes bro im in the philippines... but im just asking for my friend who is currently in california...

he does not have time to search the web, and just ask me whenever we are on the phone...

thank you very much...

not everyone knows what is really the difference between the pistol type barrel and the carbine type barrel is... specially that there are both 11.5 incher with both barrel types...