PDA

View Full Version : FUG vs Troy?

Ranger325
05-04-10, 08:12
After doing some searching, I thought I'd post the question and see what ya'll think.

My Noveske/VTAC is on order and I want to get a new forward grip. Looking at LaRue's FUG and Troy's Combat Grip. They both seem to provide the options of different lengths and some storage.

What are ya'll using and what do you like. Thanks.................

kmrtnsn
05-04-10, 08:33
I have the Troy. If you don't plan on moving it back and forth on your rail. Get the Troy. The checkering of the grip surface is really high friction, never a problem holding on to it. Some may not like that. The Troy screws on, making it one with the rail.

If you plan on moving your grip around, get the LaRue, with its throw lever attachment moving it around is a snap. Both are quality products, you won't do wrong either way.

Belmont31R
05-04-10, 11:44
I personally like the size of the FUG, and like that it is QD. Makes fitting into cases easier if needed, and I can take it off to shoot off a bench to check zero, and then put it back on to do drills. All without tools or having to slide it off the rail (PITA if you have rail covers on the bottom like I do).

I keep a small bottle of LaRue's Machine Gun lube and a seat of foamie ear plugs in mine with the small stubby bottom cap.

I would appreciate LaRue lowering the price, and offering one bottom cap instead of all 3 everytime. The medium and large just get tossed in a bin, and Im paying for parts I dont ever use.

Stickman
05-04-10, 12:24
After doing some searching, I thought I'd post the question and see what ya'll think.

They both seem to provide the options of different lengths and some storage.

What are ya'll using and what do you like. Thanks.................

I wouldn't personally store anything in a VFG, its extra weight that is being leveraged against you. Stick things in the pistol grip if needed.

I've got the TD, LT, Bobro, KAC, MVG and RVG as well as a few others floating around. The QD systems are nice if you are taking pictures all the time, and need to show a variety of different setups. For the weapons I shoot in a regular basis, I leave my VFG and handstops in one place, and they don't get moved around. I've never been in the middle of a priority call and felt the need to do a tactical move of my VFG with great speed.

Check around and see what is going to work best for your needs, but at under $25, its hard to see the need for something that is going to cost 4 times as much.

The RVG has solid texture and doesn't get slick with bloody/ wet/ muddy hands, or when its cold outside. The Troy also has an aggressive texture which holds well.

hellbound
05-04-10, 13:34
I have a few of the LT FUG's... the QD is nice, but i never use the flanged end cap, I use the medium or low profile ones.

lately i've been holding the rail more and using them like a handstop, so VFGs are sort of a waste for me...

d90king
05-04-10, 13:46
After using a variety of different VFG's including the TD, FUG, and KAC I found that I preferred the size, QD and flat bottom of the FUG. I use it at its shortest length, more as an index than as a grip...

My only complaint is the price which I think is a little high.