PDA

View Full Version : Phillies Fan Tasered, Soon To Be Classic Photo Included

Safetyhit
05-04-10, 09:19
Now that looks like a man determined to hit his target. Apparently the players had a good laugh watching it go on.

The legality of the incident is under review.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b32/Safetyhit/Taser.jpg

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/gallery?section=news&id=7421042&photo=1

jmtgsx
05-04-10, 09:25
"Don't Taze me. Bro!"

Abraxas
05-04-10, 09:25
Love the pic! Funny as hell

Mark71
05-04-10, 09:31
Here is a video of the incident.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqtPUhYdz6M&feature=related

John_Wayne777
05-04-10, 09:34
There's no "legality" to review. It's a perfectly good taze.

Safetyhit
05-04-10, 09:53

Personally I agree, but one of the morning radio shows here stated that they were still determining if he was actually a threat to anyone or just a blatant goofball who clearly meant no harm.

Again, their words and not mine. I think they did the right thing and likely even set a new precedent for such rowdy folks.

Macx
05-04-10, 09:54
Comments on the youtube firmly divided between "stupid kid got what was coming":cool: and "tasers are always bad & should only be used against George Bush" :rolleyes: Didn't see that coming.

I see there a kid that wanted his 15 minutes .. . . probably thought if he got hurt, he'd get on the Today show.

Irish
05-04-10, 10:27

I disagree. I don't know what the law states but a goofy teenager who's an attention seeking, towel waving knucklehead who's having fun doesn't need to be tased. Give him 30 seconds and he'll run out of wind, then toss him out of the park.

When you chase after him and tase him you run the risk of him being injured and then suing the city, police, etc. A waste of tax dollars fighting his case, administering the taser, arresting him, transporting and jailing him. He's a dumb kid who's looking to have fun and get attention not an out of control suspect who's a safety risk to others.

The picture is pretty funny and they did get a great photo :)

TOrrock
05-04-10, 10:30
Stupid's gotta hurt for people to learn a lesson.

John_Wayne777
05-04-10, 10:36
I disagree. I don't know what the law states but a goofy teenager who's an attention seeking, towel waving knucklehead who's having fun doesn't need to be tased. Give him 30 seconds and he'll run out of wind, then toss him out of the park.

He broke the law.

He was resisting arrest.

That's generally sufficient to justify the tase.

Safetyhit
05-04-10, 10:41
Updated FOX article:

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A police officer used a Taser gun to apprehend a fan who ran onto the field during a Phillies game Monday night, and the team and the police are investigating whether it was an appropriate use of force.

The fan, wearing a baseball cap, red T-shirt and khaki shorts, hopped a fence and scurried around the outfield, eluding two security officers in the bottom of the eighth inning against the St. Louis Cardinals. One officer used a Taser and the fan went down in a heap. Several Phillies placed gloves over their faces and appeared to be stifling laughter at the wild scene.

Phillies spokeswomen Bonnie Clark said the police department is investigating the matter and discussing with the team whether using the stun gun was appropriate.

Police spokesman Lt. Frank Vanore told The Philadelphia Inquirer police internal affairs will open an investigation to determine if the firing "was proper use of the equipment."

Vanore was not made available to The Associated Press when a call was placed to the police department's public affairs office late Monday night.

The teams said it's the first time a Taser has been used by police to apprehend a spectator who ran onto the field.

The fan was 17-year-old male and he will be charged with criminal trespass and related offenses, the team said. The Phillies did not release his name because he is a juvenile.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/05/04/phillies-fan-tasered-running-field/

Belmont31R
05-04-10, 10:43
He broke the law.

He was resisting arrest.

That's generally sufficient to justify the tase.

What was he under arrest for?

ETA: Read the article just posted.

05-04-10, 10:45
Annnnnnd we're off!

four
05-04-10, 10:45
I'm not trying to be smart, but is running on to the field during a game actually against the law?

it's not smart, I agree, but this seems similar to the old saw about suicide being against the law. Inadvisable, but not illegal.

subzero
05-04-10, 10:58
Non-compliance means you ride the lightning.

I'm not a big fan of the idea, but anyone who runs up against an LEO in this day and age has to know that's a likely consequence.

orionz06
05-04-10, 12:03
There was a steeler a few years back who body slammed a browns fan who ran onto the field. It is pretty ironic that a philly fan and a cleveland fan get pummeled and tazed.

signal4l
05-04-10, 12:36
That would be a good use of the Taser in my department. Much less chance of injury than the grab and slam approach.

rubberneck
05-04-10, 12:43
I'm not trying to be smart, but is running on to the field during a game actually against the law?

it's not smart, I agree, but this seems similar to the old saw about suicide being against the law. Inadvisable, but not illegal.

In NY it is a misdemeanor to trespass on the playing surface of a major sporting event. IIRC the penalty is up to a year in jail and a $5000 fine.

Rated21R
05-04-10, 13:19
that is too funny. got what he deserved.

madisonsfinest
05-04-10, 13:37
It will obviously be up to the policies of the department involved in this incident. Departments differ in policy in re guards to the application of the taser, some are more restrictive than others.

hellbound
05-04-10, 13:45
Between this and the kid the other week that intentionally vomited on another fan, security and the Philly PD need to set a precedent that this behavior won't be tolerated. We already have a reputation for some of the worst fans in all of professional sports.

The same people that are saying that they shouldn't have tazed him would have been flipping out if he had attacked a player on either team, and blamed security and the police for not doing their jobs.

Alex V
05-04-10, 14:02
My boss was at the game lol

He was telling me about this, this morning. But from his vantage point, he did not see the use of the TASER. He thought the kid gave up and hit the deck on his own.

This is too, too funny.

cop1211
05-04-10, 17:01
How do you know if that in 29 seconds he doesnt pull out a knife, or gun? Are you 100% sure he is just a harmless drunk, looking for a laugh, or is he on narcotics and could hurt someone if they went hands on first?
It was not excessive nor out of line, but knowing how the U.S. works, this moron will sue and get $200,00.

When you chase after him and tase him you run the risk of him being injured and then suing the city, police, etc. A waste of tax dollars fighting his case, administering the taser, arresting him, transporting and jailing him. He's a dumb kid who's looking to have fun and get attention not an out of control suspect who's a safety risk to others.

Dennis
05-04-10, 17:17
I'd rather get TASED than tackled...

Irish
05-04-10, 17:18
How do you know if that in 29 seconds he doesnt pull out a knife, or gun? Are you 100% sure he is just a harmless drunk, looking for a laugh, or is he on narcotics and could hurt someone if they went hands on first?
It was not excessive nor out of line, but knowing how the U.S. works, this moron will sue and get $200,00.

You could say how do you know that he wouldn't do the same thing in the stands? How do you know he wouldn't pull out a bazooka in the midst of the crowd and blow everybody to kingdom come? Or maybe he'll be utilizing the "shoe bomb" since they didn't make him take them off at the entrance to the park? Or maybe... I'm just not that paranoid about the antics of a young, dumb, 140 lb skinny kid I guess.

cop1211
05-04-10, 17:42
They werent dealing with him just sitting in the stands. They were dealing with somebody not acting normal.

As a police officer I've dealt with plenty of 140 pound kids,men,and women that have been armed with either a gun or knife. Or have had to be taken into custody by 5-6 officers after being tased, sprayed, and other control means being used, because they were on narcotics.

Dont under estimate someone by their looks, age, or weight.

If you do it'll catch up to you sooner or later. If you want to call that being paranoid, so be it if it keeps myself and other officers safe and alive.

rubberneck
05-04-10, 17:51
They werent dealing with him just sitting in the stands. They were dealing with somebody not acting normal.

Actually a fan running on to the field of play is not that abnormal. I don't have a problem with the officer tasing the kid but any officer that has worked a major sporting event knows that fans from time to time interrupt the game.

Safetyhit
05-04-10, 17:56
Lot's of good points here. But let's remember, this is meant to be a humorous thread.

:)

IRON DUKE
05-04-10, 18:30
He broke the law. He got tasered. He should have been taken to jail and charged with disorderly conduct. He got tasered because he was actively resisting the officers lawful orders, end of story. The taser is there to prevent serious harm to the officer and the defendant, as a taser instructor I see no problem with this officers deployment of the taser, as long as his departments use of force policy permits the use of same. People die from being tasered because of pre-existing health problems that they have prior to being tasered, it is not the duty of the officer to ask a criminal bad actor if the have any health problems before deploying the taser. If people don`t like being tasered stop doing dumbs#!+. I`m in fairly good shape and I`m not going to chase or fight anybody for anything it ends before it starts as far as I`m concerned. On a lighter note I thought it was funny as h#ll.

parishioner
05-04-10, 19:40
When you buy a ticket, you are permitted to sit in the seat assigned on the ticket and that is all. It does not grant you permission to run around the outfield like a jackass.

When you do things out of the norm, don't be shocked(you know you like that pun) when you are met with adverse events.

If I were him, I would frame that picture.

JHC
05-04-10, 19:53
Comments on the youtube firmly divided between "stupid kid got what was coming":cool: and "tasers are always bad & should only be used against George Bush" :rolleyes:

ROFL!

Can the highly trained here tell if the officer is using his sights, is target focused point shooting, or just the "metal on meat" in between?

Entropy
05-06-10, 08:04
This was a great situation for taser deployment. It was very low risk to the 17yr old moron with the soft grass to fall on. Advantages to using the taser are that it actually reduces injury to the suspect, as well as the officer. DHS has reported a 60% decrease in officer related injuries during arrests due to the use of the taser. It looks like the Phili chief of police has publically announced that he supports the officer 100%.

As far as justification goes, this is absolutely justified. Running from the cops is called Eluding, and in this case it could be articulated as resisting arrest. Obviously the suspect is also being charged with criminal trespassing too. The primary argument I keep hearing for denouncing the tasing is that the guy on the field wasn't doing any harm, or that it wasn't "fair" for the officer to not go hands on. Give me a f***ing break. :rolleyes:

deuce9166
05-06-10, 09:22
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

It would be perfectly fine to tackle this kid but not taze him? I guess I'm not tracking here.

The "kid" is the one that chose it be disorderly, and the officer has the duty to take him in to custody in the safest way possible, for the officer.

CENTCOM_Survivor
05-06-10, 10:29
Great use of the taser (unlike the armed carjacking guy with the gun). People would be crying foul if the kid was tackled and broke a bone. If the officer tackled him and got hurt do you think anyone would care? Nope.
Thats what the Taser is for, officer safety not the suspect.

kwelz
05-06-10, 10:31
I think Tasers are a great Law enforcement tool. I also think they are used for some of the dumbest reasons, like this one.

citizensoldier16
05-06-10, 13:24
Where I come from, the taser is a defensive weapon just like the officer's sidearm; it's just further up on the escalation of force. In this case, the officer used the taser to subdue an individual who posed no threat to the him. If the officer worked here, he'd have a nice vacation with pay while the department placed him on investigative suspension.

Not a legitimate tasering IMO.

Was he evading arrest? Yes...
Was he VIOLENTLY evading arrest? No.

CarlosDJackal
05-06-10, 13:28
Personally I agree, but one of the morning radio shows here stated that they were still determining if he was actually a threat to anyone or just a blatant goofball who clearly meant no harm...

Commenting on the comment by the radio show posted above. IMHO, this does not matter. It's the perceived intent that matters. The retard broke the law in the first place by jumping onto the field (Trespassing). Then he made the conscious decision to ignore the Officer's lawful orders and actively evade said Officer.

The funny thing is, if they let this idiot run loose and he ended up causing a career-ending injury to a Player, the same radio show would probably ask why the Police didn't stop him. JM2CW.

Kentucky Cop
05-06-10, 14:34
That would be a good use of the Taser in my department. Much less chance of injury than the grab and slam approach.

Same here. Use the taser to prevent injury to the officer making the apprehension and the suspect. You could blow your shoulder or knee out attempting to take him into custody after he fails to obey your lawful commands and flee's. Great photo, good job officer.

Ky Cop

kwelz
05-06-10, 14:40
Same here. Use the taser to prevent injury to the officer making the apprehension and the suspect. You could blow your shoulder or knee out attempting to take him into custody after he fails to obey your lawful commands and flee's. Great photo, good job officer.

Ky Cop

Why not just preempt everything and taser people at first contact then? Would make traffic stops a lot safer right?

Sorry I know that is snarky, but I get disturbed by comments like the above. Officer safety is important to me. But so are people rights and safety. I feel tasers are overused in situations like this.

trunkmonkey
05-06-10, 15:00
That will teach you not to cross the border into Arizona!!!!

Entropy
05-06-10, 15:11
Why not just preempt everything and taser people at first contact then? Would make traffic stops a lot safer right?

Sorry I know that is snarky, but I get disturbed by comments like the above. Officer safety is important to me. But so are people rights and safety. I feel tasers are overused in situations like this.

If a taser is deployed, it is always followed by an arrest(or protective custody). When we make a traffic stop, we haven't decided if the driver needs to be arrested for anything yet. Even if we strongly suspect a vehicle of having a DUI driver, we have to investigate before we can determine whether the person needs to be arrested or not.

If the person to be arrested complies with an officer's commands, then no additional tools(taser, pepper spray, baton) or force is needed to effect the arrest. In this case, the suspect was actively resisting arrest and the officer can legally deploy what is necessary to effect the arrest. Obviously deadly force is not needed here. The taser was the most effective tool on his belt for stopping the suspect quickly and can easily be articulated in court with studies to back it up that it was the most likely action available to reduce risk of injury to the suspect and the officer.

Cascades236
05-06-10, 15:12
If you want to be a clown, join a circus.

The biggest skeptics of Tasers are those that know nothing about them. It stopped the kid and he wasn't hurt, chunky cop got a bit of exercise... good day for everyone.

11B101ABN
05-08-10, 15:35

Nope. Compliance tool. No compliance? Use the Taser. The suspects safety is not of prime importance.

The Taser belongs right where it is . Our is at the same level as pepper spray. Any higher really makes no sense at all.

skyugo
05-08-10, 17:31

i think creating funny internet photos and videos like this is a valid use of tax dollars. :o

skyugo
05-08-10, 17:34
This was a great situation for taser deployment. It was very low risk to the 17yr old moron with the soft grass to fall on. Advantages to using the taser are that it actually reduces injury to the suspect, as well as the officer. DHS has reported a 60% decrease in officer related injuries during arrests due to the use of the taser. It looks like the Phili chief of police has publically announced that he supports the officer 100%.

As far as justification goes, this is absolutely justified. Running from the cops is called Eluding, and in this case it could be articulated as resisting arrest. Obviously the suspect is also being charged with criminal trespassing too. The primary argument I keep hearing for denouncing the tasing is that the guy on the field wasn't doing any harm, or that it wasn't "fair" for the officer to not go hands on. Give me a f***ing break. :rolleyes:

yeah i don't really buy the whole anti-taser argument..
would they really prefer cops go back to the old fashioned method of beating the suspect with a stick until they stop resisting? :rolleyes: the taser isn't perfect, but it's a big improvement.

the1911fan
05-08-10, 18:34
Nope. Compliance tool. No compliance? Use the Taser. The suspects safety is not of prime importance.

The Taser belongs right where it is . Our is at the same level as pepper spray. Any higher really makes no sense at all.

Amen to that

Quiet-Matt
05-08-10, 19:17
If the officer would loose a few, maybe he could have cought him. That was a nice shot though.:D