PDA

View Full Version : Too many barrel choices - HELP!

mtdawg169
07-19-06, 10:50
OK, I know this has been asked before, but I'm at a loss right now. I've been piecing together parts for a recce build and have hit a snag. Several dealers offer thier version of a White Oak SS barrel, some say Noveske is the only way to fly and Kreiger is just too expensive. Are there other options out there that i have overlooked? I'd like to spend between $250 - $350 on the bbl. I want a midweight, midlength, SS, M4 cut, 1/7 or 1/8 twist barrel. I want an accurate setup that is still fairly quick handling. A few questions:

1. Is Noveske worth the extra $$ vs. White Oak or some other brand I may be overlooking?

2. What are the contours / weights for the Noveske medium & light profile Recon barrels? (the light profile doesn't look too light)

3. CTS, Global Tactical, JTAC & Adco all offer a WOA barrel turned to varying specs. What are some of the pros and cons between Denny's Recon, JTAC's recon, CTS Mk16 (new in the EE), or an Adco 16" SPR contour? I beleive all of these are turned from WOA blanks.

4. Am I mistaken in thinking that these various WOA bbls should perform relatively similarly?

I need some real pros & cons here so I can narrow down my choices.

Thanks

Matt

Aardvark
07-19-06, 18:39
I can't tell you about the other companies or barrels, but I can tell you about the SABRE DEFENSE barrels purchased from PK Firearms: Fantastic. 'nuf said :p

Really tho, I purchased two stainless, 16", M4 cut, mid-length, 1:8 twist, fluted barrels from PK and I love 'em. Beautiful flat finish (I Hate bling) on the stainless, weight seems to balance perfectly. I have no doubt they'll be accurate and meet my full needs.

I emailed Adco a few times but never got a reply. Just busy folks I guess. I think they turn down RR barrels. WOA seems to put out a great barrel, but again, no experience. I've only heard good about WOA. I have a Noveske 18" lightweight on order. I was told it's a pretty slim barrel (.740 before gas block, .750 gasblock, .760? behind?). I can't remember the numbers. Pretty much all the companies you've mentioned have terrific reps, and it becomes a matter of which you feel like dealing with. For me, PK has been fantastic in all my dealings.

bigbore
07-19-06, 18:49
Define what you need and buy what you want.
There is a point of diminishing returns when you start stepping into the more expensive barrels; you need to determine where that point is for you. All mentioned above will do everything you need them to do.

IMO, well, everyone already knows my opinion on the matter.......

DevilDog
07-19-06, 22:02
Define what you need and buy what you want.
There is a point of diminishing returns when you start stepping into the more expensive barrels; you need to determine where that point is for you. All mentioned above will do everything you need them to do.......

I can't say it any better than that. I've shot enough highpower matches and have seen too many good scores with barrels that some might consider from the "bargain aisle" to think that a premier name and price is an answer all by itself. I often switch between a CLE upper with a Krieger and a Bushmaster factory DCM and if I compare my scorebooks for each, I really have a hard time telling which barrel shot which score.

So for your first question, is a given barrel brand is worth the extra $$? If that brand is what you want, than it is worth it. If it isn't, than its not. If you want to shoot a Krieger or a Noveske, get it and don't look back.

I can't speak to your second question on the Noveske medium & light profiles other than if you expect to carry it more than shoot it, then get the light. If you are going to shoot it much more than carry it, get the medium.

On your third and fourth questions, I think you will be very happy with a barrel from any of the venders you mentioned. And if you got one from each, I'd expect you'd see very similiar performance from them. You may have to base your decision more on other factors than barrel performance.

IMHO, those barrels built from WOA blanks by the venders you mentioned are a great way to go. Then use the extra $$ from better glass, a better trigger, better ammo, better reloading components, whatever. Shoot out the barrel, and then decide if you want another, or to go to a higher end barrel.

I hope some of that is useful to you.

C4IGrant
07-20-06, 07:45
The question I always like to ask when people talk to me about getting a SS barrel, is are you going to be able to take advantage of its capabilities? Meaning, if you run Wolf ammo, a 10lbs trigger and an Aimpoint don't bother with the SS barrel! If you have a quality trigger, magnified optic and shoot quality ammo (Black Hills, Hornady, etc) then get a SS barrel as you WILL notice a difference over a chrome lined barrel.

C4

mtdawg169
07-20-06, 07:56
I can't say it any better than that. I've shot enough highpower matches and have seen too many good scores with barrels that some might consider from the "bargain aisle" to think that a premier name and price is an answer all by itself. I often switch between a CLE upper with a Krieger and a Bushmaster factory DCM and if I compare my scorebooks for each, I really have a hard time telling which barrel shot which score.

So for your first question, is a given barrel brand is worth the extra $$? If that brand is what you want, than it is worth it. If it isn't, than its not. If you want to shoot a Krieger or a Noveske, get it and don't look back.

I can't speak to your second question on the Noveske medium & light profiles other than if you expect to carry it more than shoot it, then get the light. If you are going to shoot it much more than carry it, get the medium.

On your third and fourth questions, I think you will be very happy with a barrel from any of the venders you mentioned. And if you got one from each, I'd expect you'd see very similiar performance from them. You may have to base your decision more on other factors than barrel performance.

IMHO, those barrels built from WOA blanks by the venders you mentioned are a great way to go. Then use the extra $$ from better glass, a better trigger, better ammo, better reloading components, whatever. Shoot out the barrel, and then decide if you want another, or to go to a higher end barrel.

I hope some of that is useful to you.

Very good advice guys. I appreciate it. Steve, Thanks again. Your feedback on the other board has been very helpful as well. I think I've decided to go with a WOA variant and like Devildog said, put the extra $$ towards better glass.

mtdawg169
07-20-06, 08:02
The question I always like to ask when people talk to me about getting a SS barrel, is are you going to be able to take advantage of its capabilities? Meaning, if you run Wolf ammo, a 10lbs trigger and an Aimpoint don't bother with the SS barrel! If you have a quality trigger, magnified optic and shoot quality ammo (Black Hills, Hornady, etc) then get a SS barrel as you WILL notice a difference over a chrome lined barrel.

C4

I with you Grant. I'm definitely going the other route on this build & never shoot Wolf.:p I'm just trying to narrow down the many choices.

C4IGrant
07-20-06, 08:08
I with you Grant. I'm definitely going the other route on this build & never shoot Wolf.:p I'm just trying to narrow down the many choices.

I think the choices you have listed are all quality. Whether or not one is better than the other is really hard to say. I run all Noveske barrels and I think Steve mostly shoots WOA barrels. Neither of us have any problems getting hits with them. ;)

C4

blackwind
08-09-06, 22:53

C4

Hey! Whats wrong with Wolf?? :p

mtdawg169
08-10-06, 07:44
Wolf... everybody's shooting it!

at least that what the local "expert" at my gun store says.;)