PDA

View Full Version : Boston - People fighting for water. Are you prepared? (VIDEO)

Irish
05-04-10, 15:54
In a non-emergency people have swept through these stores like a swarm of locusts. Think of what's going to be happening when a real emergency, either natural or man made, hits your local area. Will you be prepared prior to the chaos or will you be marching off the cliffs with the lemmings. This is just a small reminder of what happens when wide spread panic starts to take hold. VIDEO: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/23407981/detail.html

BOSTON -- The run on bottled water caused near panic at some stores throughout the Boston area Saturday night.

At the BJ's in Revere, the crowd got so big and the rush for water so intense that police were called in. In order to maintain control, of an unruly crowd the store was shut down for the night.

Shortly after residents in Boston received an emergency call warning them of the water crisis, supermarket aisles stocked with water were quickly wiped out.

"They are fighting over it, literally fighting over water," said a customer at the Roche Bros. in West Roxbury. "I just had to fight my way through the aisles cause it's crazy in there."

"Not since Blizzard of '78 have I seen something like this," said the store manager. New shipments that arrived were gone within seconds.

Restaurants in Lexington shut down Saturday night when they were unable to wash dishes or serve customers clean water.

In Newton, stores were flooded with residents buying bottled water, WickedLocal/Newton reported.

The shelves of the Walgreens in Newton Centre were flushed clean within half an hour of Mayor Setti Warren announcing the order for the city, said store clerk Natali Tene.

In Quincy, at Roche Bros. on Quincy Avenue, shoppers began streaming into the supermarket after the 6 p.m. news and while bottled water remained on the shelves into the early evening, it was selling fast, Manager Matt Mahoney said. "I'm too busy to talk more right now," he told the Patriot Ledger.

"They are scooping up the bottled water, as well as the beer and wine," he said. "We have some stock up on frozen meals so they wouldn't have to cook."

An Auburndale Star Market ran out of water and requested an emergency shipment. In Coolidge Corner in Brookline, long lines formed at Trader Joe’s, CVS, and Walgreens for any kind of bottled water, including sparkling and pricey designer bottles, the Boston Globe reported.

Jessica Fuentes, a manager at Abe & Louie’s in Boston , told the Boston Herald that the restaurant stopped serving tap water immediately after being notified just before 4:30 p.m.

“We went out and got extra bottled water and disconnected our ice machines,” she said.

Dunkin’ Donuts ordered franchise owners to close if they cannot boil water for ice, coffee or tea.

Irish
05-04-10, 16:01
Another article: http://www.wickedlocal.com/newton/news/x1540367420/Newton-residents-strip-shelves-of-bottled-water-following-boil-water-order

Newton — Stores were flooded with residents buying bottled water in Newton after the state declared a boil water order for 31 communities in Massachusetts.

The Massachusetts Water Resources Authority issued a boil water order to residents of Newton and 30 other customer communities east of Weston Saturday following a major water pipe break in Weston.

The shelves of the Walgreens in Newton Centre were flushed clean within half an hour of Mayor Setti Warren announcing the order for the city, said store clerk Natali Tene.

“I got here at 2 and as soon as people came in, they were just taking it off the shelves,” she said. “Before I knew it they were taking whatever they could. Before we could get it on the sales floor they grabbed it—we couldn’t even get it out of boxes.”

Tene said the store wouldn’t be getting another shipment of water tomorrow, Sunday, May 2, and didn’t know when a new shipment of water would be coming in.

The lack of water could take its toll on the Walk for Hunger volunteers passing through Newton and other cities and towns tomorrow, she said.

Residents Alan and Eva Radding, however, were lucky enough to grab a large case of Poland Spring water bottles before the store shelves were emptied.

“We’ve got tickets to a concert tonight but we noticed CVS had some water left, so we thought maybe we should get some,” said Alan Radding.

The Raddings said they received an e-mail from Mayor Setti Warren’s office as early as 2 p.m. following the announcement by Gov. Deval Patrick, but the reverse 911 calls sent out by the city of Newton never reached the Raddings home phone.

In Brookline, some residents weren’t fortunate enough to walk away with any bottled water when the shelves started to clear at the CVS on Harvard Street.

“We went through a lot of water. Fast,” said Supervisor Rafael Minllety. “There were really long lines for most of the day, and we ran out at about 7 p.m.”

Follow link for rest of story.

News report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1fZtQFolHQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ISlPkjCBc

Abraxas
05-04-10, 17:05
Just what one would expect.

Irish
05-04-10, 19:24
Just what one would expect.

I expect similar things to happen more frequently and in many more locations. I think people are being naive if they don't see something similar happening in their future.

05-05-10, 08:08
Saw fighting over water while we lived on St. Maarten after Hurricane Lenny. Thank goodness I have streams on our property.

ICEPICK
05-10-10, 21:25
WOW. I need more water.

Jerm
05-10-10, 22:49
Not surprising when you can see soccer moms in fist fights over a Tinkle Me Elmo.

It doesn't take much...

People getting trampled to death over the latest Christmas toy/gadget.

...From personal experience I've learned to never go near a bridal shop during a big sale.:eek:

Fighting over a water shortage(however minor) actually seems sane in comparison.

bkb0000
05-10-10, 23:06
"i literally had to fight over water becawwwse is was so crazy in there!"

....and literally fighting over water isn't why it was crazy? how the hell can people be so blind to their own contributions to the collective craziness...?

brit
05-11-10, 02:10
They were obviously wicked thirsty. During tough times, I guess everyone has a little Masshole in them. :D

Chameleox
05-11-10, 09:16
One of the labels had a hidden Sox-Yanks ticket.

mrjones
05-11-10, 11:46
When the BPD came through my neighborhood on their loudspeakers blaring "CITIZENS OF BOSTON! DO NOT DRINK THE TAP WATER! BOIL IT FOR AT LEAST 1 MINUTE!" I'll admit I was a bit surprised.

I put a big pot of water on the stove and boiled the living hell out of it. Then I went down to the basement and picked up one of my gallon jugs of bottled water that lives there. Mrs. Jones and I made it through the weekend without a problem. The hordes of crazies, however, do make me wish I could have brought my AR with me when I moved up here last year from the Lone Star State.

On Monday I swung down to LL Bean and picked up a Katadyn Base Camp filter, which I have been very pleased with. I could drink the nearby pond with that thing in a pinch.

Moose-Knuckle
05-21-10, 07:37
This reminds me of what gas-stations were like on the afternoon of 11 September 2001.

I always have at least one unopened case of bottled water in the pantry. It never ceases to amaze me how the sheep are so illy prepared.

ra2bach
05-21-10, 10:33
my local Costco sells a case of 6 individually sealed gallons of Crystal Springs water for $3.99.

my wife thinks it's silly but I keep a couple cases in the garage...

Zhurdan
05-21-10, 10:41
No need to worry at my house. Got 6 -6gal water jugs that get rotated out every other month, plus a Katy-dyne water filter with replacement parts. That'll get me, the wife and our two small dogs thru for a while.

I wouldn't count on getting water from small streams or rivers if there are many people upstream of you. One summer, years ago, during a dispute over water rights, a farmer showed just how much control he had over the water that ends up downstream. He essentially brought the river to a trickle in less than 3 days, just to prove a point.

WillBrink
05-21-10, 11:14
In a non-emergency people have swept through these stores like a swarm of locusts. Think of what's going to be happening when a real emergency, either natural or man made, hits your local area. Will you be prepared prior to the chaos or will you be marching off the cliffs with the lemmings. This is just a small reminder of what happens when wide spread panic starts to take hold. VIDEO: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/23407981/detail.html

I'm in the area and saw some of this first hand. I commented to other like minded friends how dumb people are. Remember, no one had their water shut off, only told to boil it before drinking. Can you imagine how they would act with their water cut off for a few days? A week? I keep 20g of water on hand at all times, could drain my pipes/water heater for another 50g+ and own a portable water filter (the same used by mil) in case I ran out of that and had to go to the nearest lake for some water.

This sh&% aint rocket science.

drsal
05-21-10, 11:46
This was pretty funny..in South Florida almost everyone I know has a multi gallon 'hurricane' water stash in their garage.

tpd223
05-22-10, 12:49
Will,

You assume a great deal when you think some folks still know how to boil water.

vietboy1st
05-22-10, 20:29
Hhahaha, i am from Boston , mass myself. I didn't buy any water and i still brush my teeth and shower with those water. It is not like you are going to die. But seriously i still don't drink those water either they are fresh or not. I don't get the point of people are trying to kill each other for fresh water lol. :D Trust me 90% Bostonians are chicken and liberal.

WillBrink
05-23-10, 08:35
Will,

You assume a great deal when you think some folks still know how to boil water.

I assume no such thing! :eek::cool::eek: