PDA

View Full Version : MP top racking assist serrations

Steve
05-04-10, 16:45
My good Friend Doug did these up for me I wanted more of a purchase
when running the gun in training events as an option to other TTP's
of single hand running the gun........

gun will be on its way to Ben at boresight for grip and refinish and yes its aggressive

will wait for him to change it over some reason i thought he used bucket

Palmguy
05-04-10, 16:58
I'm not seeing a picture...

Steve
05-04-10, 17:00
arghhhhhhhhhhhh

Steve
05-04-10, 17:01
Help why wont it show up i see it

Erik 1
05-04-10, 17:03
It appears the site you used to host it requires you to be logged in to view the attachment.

Steve
05-04-10, 17:40
try again

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7480&stc=1&d=1273002742

gtmtnbiker98
05-04-10, 17:42
You see it because you belong to the site and have a cookie cached. We don't see it because we do not belong to the site. Use photobucket or similar.

nickdrak
05-04-10, 18:18
WTF Steve??? Pics man, PICS!!!:mad:

Steve
05-04-10, 19:09
working on it brother the guy who did the machine work hosted the shots on some goofey server

TomF
05-04-10, 19:12
You need a better photo guy... ;)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4580024744_1bd086b198_o.jpg

Ak44
05-04-10, 19:18
Pretty :cool:

Steve
05-04-10, 19:26
thanks brother

this sat you can shoot some

RogerinTPA
05-04-10, 19:28
Interesting. I think I'll stick with gloves. The existing serrations on the M&P already tear hands up without them. If I added them, I'd have hamburger mitts.

Gold or silver accents on the serrations may add more tactical bling though.

Steve
05-04-10, 19:29
......these across the top are very aggressive but are with purpose
but i understand
as for photos its in the raw state still be better once it gets redone

SmokeJumper
05-04-10, 19:40
Interesting. I'd like to see it after the Boresight Solutions treatment.

KeithD
05-04-10, 19:55
Dang you steve, 2 things.

1) im borrowing that pistol and getting some run time on it

2) im calling doug and sending in the g17!

bullitt5172
05-04-10, 21:58
Interesting. I think I'll stick with gloves. The existing serrations on the M&P already tear hands up without them. If I added them, I'd have hamburger mitts.

Gold or silver accents on the serrations may add more tactical bling though.

How are gloves going to help you when you need to charge the weapon, using one hand only and using your leg as leverage? I think you missed the whole point of the top serrations ;)

Looks pretty good Fish, can I have it???

Steve
05-04-10, 22:25

whatever you want, lunch friday i need that bag before my trip

Joeywhat
05-05-10, 06:20
2) im calling doug and sending in the g17!

I'm working on a design for my G17 as well...trying to do full slide serrations on the left, right and top of the slide. Still trying to figure out a good design with a lot of purchase, though...the stock serrations suck.

NCPatrolAR
05-05-10, 08:20
Nice thinking out of the box. Personally I'd stick with a ledge type rear sight, but we all like different things. :cool:

KeithD
05-05-10, 08:21
I'm working on a design for my G17 as well...trying to do full slide serrations on the left, right and top of the slide. Still trying to figure out a good design with a lot of purchase, though...the stock serrations suck.

thats exactly what i was thinking.

DasBulk
05-05-10, 08:28

I like it, but probably wouldn't do it.

Chevrons on a Glock would work nice I think. I'd do wide angle chevrons.
//////
\\\\\\
I guess like a tire tread.

RogerinTPA
05-05-10, 20:35
How are gloves going to help you when you need to charge the weapon, using one hand only and using your leg as leverage? I think you missed the whole point of the top serrations ;)

I guess so. I didn't realize that one handed racking, was the sole purpose of the Mod. There are alternate means of racking a weapon in a one handed scenario, beside the one Steve is advocating. It is an interesting alternative way, just not for me.

CCK
05-05-10, 21:44
If you mill your slide for a RMR the front of the RMR makes for a pretty good place to catch to charge your gun.

CK

Steve
05-06-10, 05:22
If you mill your slide for a RMR the front of the RMR makes for a pretty good place to catch to charge your gun.

CK

all ready have one of those done too...

RogerinTPA

Yes there are several and often at times i have seen many students and others miss with front sight/rear sights some sights wont allow it (NOVAK) styles without cut etc.......

I wanted a functional at any angle on any surface etc..... plus its just mean.... while doing some combative drills on dummies(3d) i found i was able with slide at locked empty mag in place etc i was able to case some good damage to the face of the dummies using the gun as impact weapon and rack,,( yes i know unlikely etc.. knife 2nd gun etc,,, are all factored in) i practice for it all)

another reason i was bored... i also have shooter i teach who has One arm..... it has helped him quite a bit in testing

bullitt5172
05-07-10, 15:33
You need a better photo guy... ;)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4580024744_1bd086b198_o.jpg

I think you are right, do you know one :D

Joeywhat
05-07-10, 16:43
Might have something done on a certain Glock 17 here real soon......

RogerinTPA
05-07-10, 18:51
all ready have one of those done too...

RogerinTPA

Yes there are several and often at times i have seen many students and others miss with front sight/rear sights some sights wont allow it (NOVAK) styles without cut etc.......

I wanted a functional at any angle on any surface etc..... plus its just mean.... while doing some combative drills on dummies(3d) i found i was able with slide at locked empty mag in place etc i was able to case some good damage to the face of the dummies using the gun as impact weapon and rack,,( yes i know unlikely etc.. knife 2nd gun etc,,, are all factored in) i practice for it all)

another reason i was bored... i also have shooter i teach who has One arm..... it has helped him quite a bit in testing

That's cool Steve. Innovative solutions to other methods, is a good thing in my opinion. Only time will tell if this is indeed a worth while alternative. I"ll be looking forward to hearing more from you about this alternative concept. I, on the other hand, am concerned with a "cheese grater" effect from doing this kind of manipulation. Now I'm off to the gym to work on my love handles...

Steve
05-07-10, 21:01
Its a nice angle not to sharp but course enough but i like it a bit rough

bsf
05-08-10, 20:14
I had an opportunity to briefly check this out today. The top of the slide definitely is grippy. It makes 1-handed racking stupid easy. Not going to run out and get it done to any of my guns, though. Want to see the review after going through some courses, competitions, grocery getting, etc.

Steve
05-08-10, 20:19
soon enough i have no doubt of there usefulness

Robb Jensen
05-08-10, 20:27
IMHO anything serrations wise in front of the breechface on top of the slide toward the muzzle are for decoration cosmetic reasons only. One shouldn't rack the slide forward of the breechface. I know a two people who've injured themselves getting the palm of their hand over the breechface and clearing a failure to have a rounds primer find the ejector and the casing explode into their hand. Thing is you'll only do it once as pain is a wonderful teacher....

Joeywhat
05-08-10, 20:50
IMHO anything serrations wise in front of the breechface on top of the slide toward the muzzle are for decoration cosmetic reasons only. One shouldn't rack the slide forward of the breechface. I know a two people who've injured themselves getting the palm of their hand over the breechface and clearing a failure to have a rounds primer find the ejector and the casing explode into their hand. Thing is you'll only do it once as pain is a wonderful teacher....

The idea is to be able to run it off your pants, holster, shirt, table, whatever else is around you. if you're other hand is working then you'd just use your other hand to properly operate the slide.

The point of running them all the way to the front is to ensure that when running the slide of an object it has the maximum ability to grab that material and successfully operate the slide. Maybe the only part of the slide you could get to grip was the front...?

Robb Jensen
05-08-10, 21:45
The idea is to be able to run it off your pants, holster, shirt, table, whatever else is around you. if you're other hand is working then you'd just use your other hand to properly operate the slide.

The point of running them all the way to the front is to ensure that when running the slide of an object it has the maximum ability to grab that material and successfully operate the slide. Maybe the only part of the slide you could get to grip was the front...?

Good point.
I tend to like using the rear sight if it's square enough to use. If it's not I like to use the slide racker (http://www.hatfieldsgunsmithing.com/).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/hatfieldgunsmiffin/slideracker1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/hatfieldgunsmiffin/slideracker4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/hatfieldgunsmiffin/slideracker6.jpg

eternal24k
05-09-10, 08:59
Nice thinking out of the box. Personally I'd stick with a ledge type rear sight, but we all like different things. :cool:

same, I feel like I would not be able to manipulate the slide with those, but cool regardless.

Steve
05-09-10, 17:36
they aren't that sharp that normal slide use is an issue, I thought of that. this inst my first rodeo guys.

as for sights
yes i use them too but i have seen miss and or come off holsters at bad angles not catch anything can happen

My current mp have Novak style sights until i change them out if i do it will be henies

Magic_Salad0892
05-10-10, 04:49
I really like the slide racker...

I want one... >:]