PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal SA-M7R Limited Edition

Ak44
05-04-10, 19:55
Just got an email from K-VAR for a new product. It's a Arsenal SA-M7R Limited Edition. It looks like a Classic except the gas block is different. Makes me think maybe I should get one cause TWO Blondes are better than one :cool::D;)
http://www.k-var.com/shop/images/d_1465.jpg

TOrrock
05-04-10, 20:25
That's basically the current/updated Bulgarian AR-M1, which uses an AKM weight barrel and an AK-74 gas block.

The AKM weight barrel is lighter and smaller in profile than the AK-47 barrel.

Instead of synthetic stocks, they slapped the blond elm stocks that they had made up for the Classics which are no more.

The M7 series is going to be an extremely limited item from now on, and I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped offering them all together.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Bulgarian%20AKs/INGwithBulgarianAK.jpg

Ak44
05-04-10, 20:48
Thanks for your post Temp! Man I dunno if I can spend more money on Ak's seeing how I don't have any ammo or mags for the one I have right now haha.

AJD
05-04-10, 22:05
I would advise getting a SA M7 on the used market. They don't command the super high prices of the Classic rifles.

Ak44
05-04-10, 22:08
I already got a Classic brand new. I don't like buying used stuff, had a bad experience.

DaBears_85
05-05-10, 08:29
That picture reminds me I need to work on getting a new stock for my M-7R. The factory NATO length stock it has on it is killing me. Why is it so freaking hard to find a WARSAW length buttstock nowadays?

TiroFijo
05-05-10, 08:29
Templar,

Do all AKM and their military clones (not commercial US frankenguns) use the thin barrel?
Do heavier barrels in the AK/AKM have any advantage?
Is there any advantage in the straight vs slant gas block?
Do all AKM and their military clones use the thin 1 mm stamped receiver or were some mande with heavier sheet metal? Is there any advantage in the heavier stamped receivers?

Lastly, why the bulgarian AKM shown does not use the slant muzzle brake?

TIA

TOrrock
05-05-10, 08:53
Templar,

Do all AKM and their military clones (not commercial US frankenguns) use the thin barrel?
Do heavier barrels in the AK/AKM have any advantage?
Is there any advantage in the straight vs slant gas block?
Do all AKM and their military clones use the thin 1 mm stamped receiver or were some mande with heavier sheet metal? Is there any advantage in the heavier stamped receivers?

Lastly, why the bulgarian AKM shown does not use the slant muzzle brake?

TIA

A lot of info can be found here.....

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=934

As far as the gas block goes, the Russians were getting some instances of jacket sheer on the older 45 degree gas blocks when they went to the early AK-74. They also found it was easier to come in on a groove rather than a land when they drilled straight down instead of at an angle.

To simplify production, the Bulgarians started installing the 74 style gas block on their milled 7.62x39mm rifles, as well as using the lighter AKM barrel.

I don't think there's a significant advantage for most end users with either style.

The Bulgarians don't do a stamped 7.62mm gun, they stuck with milled receivers, and kept the muzzle nut rather than a slant brake, which really doesn't do a whole lot for you.

texasyid
05-05-10, 10:39
It looks to me like your paying 200 for the wood stocks over the standard model. I would rather buy the standard SAM7R and find some nice Russian or polish wood for it. It does look good though.

Newaza
05-06-10, 23:38
Templar was kind enough to exchange PMs with me and walk me through the AK world 5 years ago, and convinced me to buy the best: a SAM7 carbine (right after the AWB ended). And I'm very, very glad I did. Thanks, Templar. They were ~650 then, and it's the best purchase I ever made. Later, I installed a mid-length polymer stock that KVAR offers, along with the Bulgarian SAW-style grip. The result is that the ergonomics on this rifle are incredible. IMO better than any AR I've ever held. But it's all polymer furniture. If I was to acquire one of these SAM7s with wood furniture I'd pull off the wood immediately and replace it with the polymer. To me, it looks better and it feels better. These changes made a huge difference.

Here's the grip: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16952&cat=301&page=2
And here's the stock: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17063&cat=283&page=3

DaBears_85
05-07-10, 04:04
Templar was kind enough to exchange PMs with me and walk me through the AK world 5 years ago, and convinced me to buy the best: a SAM7 carbine (right after the AWB ended). And I'm very, very glad I did. Thanks, Templar. They were ~650 then, and it's the best purchase I ever made. Later, I installed a mid-length polymer stock that KVAR offers, along with the Bulgarian SAW-style grip. The result is that the ergonomics on this rifle are incredible. IMO better than any AR I've ever held. But it's all polymer furniture. If I was to acquire one of these SAM7s with wood furniture I'd pull off the wood immediately and replace it with the polymer. To me, it looks better and it feels better. These changes made a huge difference.

Here's the grip: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16952&cat=301&page=2
And here's the stock: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17063&cat=283&page=3

I prefer the polymer furniture as well. What's the length on that stock? If it's warsaw length I'm ordering one.

I'm assuming that pistol grip would make a stock M7R non 922 compliant?

TOrrock
05-07-10, 06:40
I prefer the polymer furniture as well. What's the length on that stock? If it's warsaw length I'm ordering one.

I'm assuming that pistol grip would make a stock M7R non 922 compliant?

That stock is smack in the middle of the Warsaw Pact length and the NATO, more towards the Warsaw Pact end of things.

They're comfortable for me.

No worries on the 922R, as the buttstock makes up for the pistol grip.

The milled M7 series requires fewer US parts.

Newaza
05-07-10, 09:25
Templar, do you know why KVAR states that this Bulgarian SAW grip can only be used on milled rifles? I installed one on an SGL20, and it seemed to work just fine.

TOrrock
05-07-10, 09:34
Have no idea man.

Spooky130
05-10-10, 11:20
Have no idea man.

Dude... I think hell just froze over...

DaBears_85
05-10-10, 15:27
I got my Warsaw length polymer buttstock today from Midway USA. Only problem is that they sent me an intermediate length, not a Warsaw pact length. This thing is 10" no matter how I measure it. It's not a big deal really, I'm just trying to decide wether or not to keep the 10" or send it back for the 9.25". What are your guys thoughts on this? Templar, I know you and a couple others said they find the 10" comfortable, but do you prefer them over a Warsaw pact?

Sorry for the thread jack ak44.

TOrrock
05-10-10, 18:01
I got my Warsaw length polymer buttstock today from Midway USA. Only problem is that they sent me an intermediate length, not a Warsaw pact length. This thing is 10" no matter how I measure it. It's not a big deal really, I'm just trying to decide wether or not to keep the 10" or send it back for the 9.25". What are your guys thoughts on this? Templar, I know you and a couple others said they find the 10" comfortable, but do you prefer them over a Warsaw pact?

Sorry for the thread jack ak44.

I haven't had a lot of time on the K-Var mid length 10" stock. The time I've used them they were comfortable and I didn't feel that it was too long, like I do when I'm behind a K-Var "NATO" length stock.

I'm 6'2" and I find the standard length AK-47 and AKM stocks to be comfortable and useable, especially the milled AK-47 and the Chinese Type 56 stocks, which have much more drop to them than an AKM, which comes straight back to you.

I know you were probably hoping for a definitive "yes" or "no" answer, but everyone is built differently so I really hesitate to recommend something like that.

However, the 10" K-Var stock is MUCH better than the NATO length.

DaBears_85
05-10-10, 18:34
I haven't had a lot of time on the K-Var mid length 10" stock. The time I've used them they were comfortable and I didn't feel that it was too long, like I do when I'm behind a K-Var "NATO" length stock.

I'm 6'2" and I find the standard length AK-47 and AKM stocks to be comfortable and useable, especially the milled AK-47 and the Chinese Type 56 stocks, which have much more drop to them than an AKM, which comes straight back to you.

I know you were probably hoping for a definitive "yes" or "no" answer, but everyone is built differently so I really hesitate to recommend something like that.

However, the 10" K-Var stock is MUCH better than the NATO length.

I'm just looking for peoples own experiences with the two different lengths. I've never used a 10", I really like the Warsaw Pact length on my Classic. I feel like I can really "stay on top" of the rifle while firing. The NATO length is just too long no matter how you dice it. It might be comfortable if I was 6'8 or something.

I've got the 10" on now, haven't drilled the holes yet. It feels nice so I think I'm gonna go ahead and give her a whirl. Plus, I don't have the patience to send it back and wait for the 9.25".