PDA

View Full Version : Help with handguard-mounted light

wintermute
05-05-10, 10:02
I want to mount a light on my carbine length AR but I truly have no clue how to set it up. I don't run a vertical grip nor do I want a free float rail system (want to keep it light weight). I was thinking of picking up a Magpul MOE handguard and mounting a light to that. I looked at the MOE illumination kit, which seems pretty awesome, but then took a look at the Surefire Millenium series that the kit appears to be geared towards, and those lights are way out of my price range. How do I go about this? Thanks.

Dos Cylindros
05-05-10, 10:16
You could pick up the Magpul illumination kit ($20.00), a Vltor scout mount (not the offset mount, $35.00), and a Surefire G2 or G2L (LED Model, which I think is slightly better) ($40.00 for the standard G2 to $70.00 for the LED). The Vltor scout mount will bolt right up to the illumiation kit and the G2 or G2L slides right into the scout mount. Fairly cheap, very light weight, and a very solid quality setup that will serve you well.

Good luck.

Dennis
05-05-10, 11:45
I use an even cheaper and simpler solution on my lightweight build. Just bolt a short piece of rail, a piece of leftover weaver rail works best, to your existing handguard at 11 or 1. Then mount a 6P/G2 with a 1" weaver ring mount. This will allow for easy activation from a normal forend grip.

Dennis.

JSantoro
05-05-10, 19:48
It helps to look at the stickied threads at the top of the forums.

This is the very first one, you may find something useful: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=22625

SpeedRacer
05-05-10, 21:09
I really like the Midwest Industries FSB mount. Especially when chopped down to reduce the weight. When used in combo with the Vltor Scout it's simple, lightweight, rock solid and frees up room on the handguard. I tried 3 or 4 different mounting options on my MOE handguard and nothing felt comfortable.

More info: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37666

wintermute
05-06-10, 13:39
Thanks all! I had taken a look at the weapon light photo thread, but most of the setups there were way out of my price range or more for use on complete mult-rail systems. I have a side sling mount at my FSB, so an FSB mount won't work. So it looks like Dos Cylindros' idea is going to work best for me. Cheap, lightweight, practical, and durable. I like it!

Dos Cylindros
05-06-10, 17:33
Thanks all! I had taken a look at the weapon light photo thread, but most of the setups there were way out of my price range or more for use on complete mult-rail systems. I have a side sling mount at my FSB, so an FSB mount won't work. So it looks like Dos Cylindros' idea is going to work best for me. Cheap, lightweight, practical, and durable. I like it!

Glad to be of help. I currently have a full Danile Defense 12" lite rail and Surefire Scout M300A mounted to it. I will be doing a standard middy build soon, and I am going to go with the setup I just recommended to you. Post up some pics of how it comes out, I am interested to see it.