PDA

View Full Version : Apex Hard Sear and Ultimate Striker Block?

mwt1980
05-05-10, 12:31
Picking up my new M&P9 Today.

Purchased the Apex products. Watched the videos. Seems simple. Is it?

Should i do this myself with guidance from the videos or do you guys advise taking the gun to a gunsmith?

John_Wayne777
05-05-10, 12:58
Picking up my new M&P9 Today.

Purchased the Apex products. Watched the videos. Seems simple. Is it?

I thought so. It took me about 10 minutes to replace the sear on my gun...15 to do the SB and the sear on my 9C.

Should i do this myself with guidance from the videos or do you guys advise taking the gun to a gunsmith?

How much experience do you have working on guns? If the idea of taking the gun apart beyond normal disassembly troubles you, the services of a gunsmith might be a good idea. If you've worked on your own guns before it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

GaryXD
05-05-10, 15:46
If you have a sight pusher it is very easy. I've done six of them but have never tried it without a pusher.

vicious_cb
05-05-10, 15:53
Sear = easy
Trigger spring = a bitch and a half

TehLlama
05-05-10, 15:56
Do it slowly, patiently, don't be afraid to observe multiple times and approach tediously, but it's a straightforward install. I didn't do the trigger spring...
Can't hurt to have it looked over by a competent gunsmith, as always.

BVickery
05-05-10, 16:09
I watched the video, don't have the tools, and with not being the most dexterous of people with my hands, just going to pay a gunsmith to do it (as well as probably installing new sights).

Erik 1
05-05-10, 16:25
I did the duty/carry package. If you're mechanically inclined, it's very straightforward. If you're not, I wouldn't recommend it. Some of the small parts are spring-loaded. Be careful.

mwt1980
05-06-10, 01:15
Installed the Sear and the USB...Piece of cake.

Not sure why anyone would need a gunsmith for this.

BVickery
05-06-10, 09:13
Installed the Sear and the USB...Piece of cake.

Not sure why anyone would need a gunsmith for this.

I have very large hands with arthritis. Knowing the PITA that putting together a AR lower was, and looking inside at how small the parts are, for me, easier/safer to just have someone do it.

G34Shooter
05-06-10, 10:30
I have very large hands with arthritis. Knowing the PITA that putting together a AR lower was, and looking inside at how small the parts are, for me, easier/safer to just have someone do it.

Fat fingers and tiny parts are a no go for me, plus if you have Apex install it you can get it polished or have other service done like Sights installed, plus my install was less than straight forward as Randy Lee described:

It was the vertical extension that lifts the striker block as you pull the trigger. Your slide sits lower on the frame rails than most, so the top of the trigger bar was dragging along the underside of the slide as you pulled the trigger, as you removed and installed the slide on/off the frame as well as when the slide cycles.
All better now.
-Randy

green.catcher
05-07-10, 13:39
Just installed this kit into the M & P 45, had a buddy help me. It was not to bad of a job, but it is worth the money. It makes the trigger pull great. I sent a M & P 40 back to S & W Performance Center to have the PC sear installed, the Apex is a better sear.