PDA

View Full Version : Carbine Setup Advice

Skyyr
05-05-10, 13:36
Hey guys...

I'm thinking about redoing the optics on my carbine and wanted advice on the setup from a functional standpoint (and not a variable vs RDS debate).

Currently, I'm running a 16.1" Noveske Recon (stainless) with Geissele SSA, UBR stock, Gunfighter Mod4, yadda yadda - basically a super-accurized Recce (or a 16" SPR, if you will).

The current optic is a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 Mil-Dot with mil-rad ZeroStops in a NF Unimount. I went with this optic because I initially wanted a super-accurate build capable from 50-600yds (yes, I know the 600yds is most likely outside the window of any realistic needs, but I still like having it nonetheless).

The thing is, after it's all said and done, I don't think I like having $1700+ of optics and mounts tied up into a 16" carbine. I initially wanted an Aimpoint, but decided against it as blasting targets at short range (I define "short" range from 0 - 200yds) is rather easy, even with irons, and is somewhat boring for me.

After tallying my costs, and comparing them to an Aimpoint, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have purchased an Aimpoint to begin with. If I were to go with the Aimpoint, I'd probably sell the NF scope, mount, and Seekonk torque wrenches for $1,500-1,600 as a set. I would have an extra $600-700 left over after purchasing an Aimpoint M4. This extra money could go towards ammo, a good training class, and/or a handgun.

While the above seems sound to me, I do feel that "downgrading" to an Aimpoint will be wasting the rifle's potential.

That said, any advice?

rychencop
05-05-10, 13:51
i would keep the NF and get something like this... http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=383

hellbound
05-05-10, 14:47
i have the same predicament with my 18" LT stealth. I feel like the NF NXS 3.5-15x50 is way too much scope for me, especially since I could probably sell the scope/mount, buy another optic, and still have enough money for the G21SF or a new telescope.

I've considered a low power variable scope (1-4x like an accupoint, NXS, or leupold) but i wouldn't use them at less than 4x. I've also considered an ACOG but i feel like the reticles are designed more for practical accuracy over precision.

branson1369
05-05-10, 16:12
Running a NF 1-4 and love it! Still at times have buyers remorse until I hit the range. Went with 4 sets of glass before putting NF 5.5 -22 on the Tikka T3 Tactical .308. By the time you burn through cheaper glass the NF is worth the $$$.

I am curious how you find the 2.5-10 for CQB or 3 Gun

Skyyr
05-05-10, 16:48
I am curious how you find the 2.5-10 for CQB or 3 Gun

For CQB-type shooting, it is somewhat slow as it lacks an overly-obvious reticle conducive to that type of shooting. Past 50yds, it does well. It's nice having the magnification range higher than 4x and 6x seems about perfect for most precision applications. I'm sure an FC2 reticle would also help, but that would limit longer-range shots.

For 3-gun type shooting, I've yet to participate in an event myself, but I've done similar non-competition shooting. The downside is, again, the minimum magnification of 2.5x. From 100-300yds, the magnification range the scope offers really shines and 6x seems to be the sweet spot. My original intentions were to add a secondary RDS, namely a T-1 in a 1 o'clock mount. Since many respected shooters use a setup like this (such as Jerry Miculek), I see no reason why it wouldn't work well. The downside is the cost and added weight ($650 for a T1 and mount would bring my optics cost past $2,200... and for a carbine, that's just insane to me at this point).

All in all, I found a 1-4x to be lacking in power for the capabilities of the rifle, whereas the NF 2.5-10x limits the use of the rifle in CQB-type shooting. The obvious answer would be a 1-6x or 1-8x, but since one doesn't exist (at least from NF), I was forced to make a choice. It's a great scope by all accounts and VERY versatile, but I'm having a hard time justifying the costs in light of what else could be afforded. An Aimpoint M4s + H&K USP9 + 300 rounds of ammo seems rather appealing compared to simply a NF scope.

strambo
05-05-10, 16:57
My first thought was to add an H1 in either a DD 1 o clock mount or the Larue mount as mentioned above. Best of both worlds for an awesome rifle. Still biased towards medium range, but now it would be much more short range capable.