PDA

View Full Version : Color Standardization

Slinger646
05-05-10, 13:55
Is there a spec in reference to the popular colors such as OD, FDE, Foliage, etc. or will the be variations between manufacturers?

ghostman1960
05-05-10, 14:04
Is there a spec in reference to the popular colors such as OD, FDE, Foliage, etc. or will the be variations between manufacturers?

I am not sure but I like my EBRS all black. I cringe when people krylon their expensive rifles.

Skyyr
05-05-10, 14:08
Yep - there's almost always variation, unless you stick with the same manufacturer for all parts.

Whootsinator
05-05-10, 19:19
I am not sure but I like my EBRS all black. I cringe when people krylon their expensive rifles.

Would you be offended if I asked why?

Avenger29
05-06-10, 01:40

I'm going to break out the rattlecans and get to work then...I've got a rifle that needs painting...

ghostman1960
05-06-10, 03:38
Would you be offended if I asked why?

I can't put my finger on it. I feel like it ruins them.

120mm
05-06-10, 04:11
I can't put my finger on it. I feel like it ruins them.

Well, since our feeeeeeelings are the most important thing....:rolleyes:

ghostman1960
05-06-10, 05:45
Well, since our feeeeeeelings are the most important thing....:rolleyes:

Well I "feel" that if it affects the resale value of my rifle and serves no other purpose except to look cool, it screams poser.

Now furniture color standardization is another story and I think that is what the op intended this thread to be about. Hijack over. Sorry op.

Robb Jensen
05-06-10, 06:55

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Here's me shooting a USMC owned M40A3. It's quite expensive, S&B scope, McMillan stock with a duct taped on cheek-peice and painted with Krylon well worn finish off the receiver and bolt but regardless of all that it shoots like a dream. Sometimes simple simply works.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Quantico3gun2010/robbM40A3closeup.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
05-06-10, 07:51
I love seeing actual combat rifles that have been hit with rattle can and worn off from the rigors of fighting. It gives them character! :cool:

CENTCOM_Survivor
05-06-10, 10:39
This might help: The History of Federal Standard 595 (http://www.colorserver.net/articles/info_fs595_history.htm)

Slinger646
05-06-10, 11:22
I would love to see a standard so I could mix-n-match, but I guess the variances keep the people who want matching colors brand-loyal....Thanks!!

87GN
05-06-10, 11:46
There will be color variations even among different batches of parts from the same manufacturer.

Well I "feel" that if it affects the resale value of my rifle and serves no other purpose except to look cool, it screams poser.

Now furniture color standardization is another story and I think that is what the op intended this thread to be about. Hijack over. Sorry op.

Krylon can be removed with absolutely no trace or evidence that it was ever there.

If you just go to the range, black is fine. However, black sticks out in the field.

TOrrock
05-06-10, 11:48
I would love to see a standard so I could mix-n-match, but I guess the variances keep the people who want matching colors brand-loyal....Thanks!!

I wouldn't sweat it much.

Good to see you over here! :cool:

Byron
05-06-10, 12:03
I've had good luck getting colors to match up between Magpul and Tangodown. Can't think of any other brands off the top of my head that I've tried to mix-and-match.

As noted, even different items from the same company will sometimes look (very slightly) different. Unless you are extremely anal about color matching, I don't think you should worry. Even variations between companies are usually "close enough" to look fine when put together.

If you just go to the range, black is fine.
I hate the amount of heat that black absorbs/retains on a sunny day. So even under beautiful range conditions, I still prefer color furniture.

120mm
05-06-10, 13:15

**** it. You aren't worth the words.

Slinger646
05-06-10, 13:19
I wouldn't sweat it much.

Good to see you over here! :cool:

Glad to be here, dabbling in the dark side. ;)

This thing shoots like a dream, I'm thinking about selling the jeep I traded my last AR for to fund stuff for this one...

I'm really digging the modularity of the platform.

In Soviet Russia, rifle customizes you.

TOrrock
05-06-10, 13:24
Glad to be here, dabbling in the dark side. ;)

This thing shoots like a dream, I'm thinking about selling the jeep I traded my last AR for to fund stuff for this one...

I'm really digging the modularity of the platform.

In Soviet Russia, rifle customizes you.

Vickers has got a 3 day advanced class at USTC (old Blackwater) coming up in July.....maybe your dept. can pay for it.......

Regardless, we should get some trigger time.

As far as the colorization.....FDE or Ranger Green or OD, or whatever....will vary in tone and in batch to batch within manufacturers....so I don't think it's really all that big a deal.

Buy the gear you want based on your needs/perceived needs....and don't worry about the tone matching so much.

ghostman1960
05-06-10, 13:34
**** it. You aren't worth the words.

Yeah I can think of a few things your not worth either. If I remeber right you said something about passive agressive pussies. Writing a angry name calling reply and then editing it out is the definition of passive agressive.

TOrrock
05-06-10, 13:39
120 and ghost, knock it off.

If you guys want to argue, take it to email or pm.

ghostman1960
05-06-10, 13:41
120 and ghost, knock it off.

If you guys want to argue, take it to email or pm.

Will do.