PDA

View Full Version : Suitable for 'yote hunting?

Uncle Alvah
05-05-10, 14:33
This is my recently purchased AR, just as I bought it. My intention is to use this for shooting coyotes brought to call. For the record, I've not shot this gun off the bench or any other "serious" evaluation as far as grouping, ect.
Bushy lower, DelTon upper, 1-9 chrome barrel
I'd be interested in opinions on the suitability of the gun for that purpose, as it sits, and also.....
I'm wondering what suggestions for mods anyone might want to offer to make it an even better rifle for dusting eastern coyotes?
Different barrel?
Different scope?
Fixed buttstock?
A bi-pod would seem mandatory almost yes/no?

THANKS!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/UncleAlvah1/DSCF0512.jpg

Tomahawk_Ghost
05-05-10, 16:09
Most of the coyotes I've killed was while I was out checking cattle or fixing fences. I'm using a 1-4x24 scope. If you're hunting in a swamp or dense woods where they're going to be close you may want to switch to a shotgun. For 50 to 300 yards the Trijicon should do the job. I would find a range to practice those long shots to check on your POA vs POI.

I would keep it as is and give it a try.

ALCOAR
05-05-10, 17:28
ILLUMINATION:) You are gonna need a strong 100 plus lumen light and mount....then some proper ammo and you are GTG:)

David Thomas
05-05-10, 17:28
acog is fine. the casv is fine. But when they are used together, not so much. The scope is too far above the bore. Get a new setup.

bipod is not mandatory.

TWR
05-05-10, 19:31
Called coyotes generally come in close and sometimes quick, I've said for years that the M4 or equivelent with a low powered scope or Aimpoint is as good as it gets.

I use Colt light weights with 1/7 twists but still shoot down to 50 grain bullets. I use Leupold 1.5-5 scopes on my LW's.

Leave the bi-pod at home, get some shooting sticks, they allow you to be more mobile when one jumps across your lap.

99HMC4
05-05-10, 20:55
ANY gun that kills yotes is good to go...;)

Pumpkinheaver
05-05-10, 22:15
If your Del Ton upper shoots as good as mine then you'll have plenty of accuracy for yotes. My coyote setup is similar to yours but I have a good old 3-9X40 on it. Not tacticool but it get the job done.

Todd.K
05-06-10, 00:02
acog is fine. the casv is fine. But when they are used together, not so much. The scope is too far above the bore. Get a new setup.

You will not be able to get a good cheek weld with the combo above.

99HMC4
05-06-10, 00:04
Chin weld...:p

Uncle Alvah
05-06-10, 15:03
You will not be able to get a good cheek weld with the combo above.

Indeed. That is why I was considering a solid buttstock with an added on pad to raise the comb???? Good idea/bad idea?
(I mean, God forbid one should be caught out in the woodlands attempting a shot meant to give mister Coyote his "Big Day"without ones cheek properly welded!;))

Even if I lose the ACOG, will not a conventional glass(3-9 40mm say) still be kinda high by virtue of sitting on the CASV? Put another way, maybe the casv is not a particularly good choice for an optic equipped AR?

rychencop
05-06-10, 15:09

bipod is not mandatory.

i agree....dump the casv and get a larue or dd rail.

Todd.K
05-06-10, 16:05
Indeed. That is why I was considering a solid buttstock with an added on pad to raise the comb???? Good idea/bad idea?

Bad idea. They get in the way of the charging handle and/or are too far back to do any good.

Go shoot the ACOG, if you really like it change out the rail. If you would prefer a regular hunting scope get a lower power or lightweight with smaller obj and it will mount up fine on the CASV.

trukreltrog
05-06-10, 16:19
Called coyotes generally come in close and sometimes quick, I've said for years that the M4 or equivelent with a low powered scope or Aimpoint is as good as it gets.

I use Colt light weights with 1/7 twists but still shoot down to 50 grain bullets. I use Leupold 1.5-5 scopes on my LW's.

Leave the bi-pod at home, get some shooting sticks, they allow you to be more mobile when one jumps across your lap.

+1, shooting sticks are a much better option. :)

ricky_arthur
05-07-10, 08:34
+1 I like shooting sticks for being lightweight and quicker to adjust. I also like more magnification for coyote hunting as I often have shots out past 300 yards.

Uncle Alvah
05-07-10, 11:55
Shooting sticks huh?

Uhhhhh....I'm being dense here maybe......I'm wondering whether ya'll mean sticks as in "buffalo hunter something fabricated in someones home shop" rig or do you mean some type of manufactured, "carbon fiber wonder material" kinda gizmo?

David Thomas
05-07-10, 12:25
Shooting sticks huh?

Uhhhhh....I'm being dense here maybe......I'm wondering whether ya'll mean sticks as in "buffalo hunter something fabricated in someones home shop" rig or do you mean some type of manufactured, "carbon fiber wonder material" kinda gizmo?

here you go:
http://tinyurl.com/32ufvgf

Uncle Alvah
05-07-10, 12:30
Sorry, that won't load on my POS computer.....:(

dway
05-07-10, 16:24
http://www.boggear.com
They have 2 leg and tri-pod versions.

GermanSynergy
05-07-10, 18:54
What distances are you going to be shooting 'yotes?

What is your budget?

TWR
05-07-10, 22:37
I've used Stoney Point collapsable sticks before, they are easy to carry but can get stuck in the mud and come apart if you have to readjust your shooting position. Not good if a coyote is on his way.

I've used 2 wooden dowels screwed together and while not the easiest to carry are cheap and they work.

Now I actually use a Stoney Point Mono pod, it adjusts to different heights, doubles as a walking stick and will fall out of the way if I have to move the gun quickly to shoot running targets or multiples. Regardless of what Uncle Jay says, they don't always stop!

The vast majority of my shots on called coyotes are 50 yards and under, a solid bench is not required but the sticks or mono pod allow me to shoulder the rifle and use my other hand to call with. If I get one that just won't come in, they are plenty stable enough to take a shot out to 300 yards. Bi-pods have their place but usually get in the way up close and the coyote doesn't read the script and comes in from a different direction.

Uncle Alvah
05-08-10, 11:05
What distances are you going to be shooting 'yotes?

What is your budget?

300 yards MAX, mostly 150 or even less.

Budget is tight. Frankly, It might/would be helpful to sell either/or both the CASV or the ACOG if favor of a simple tube FF handguard and anothe optic, like a 4-12 maybe. I'm not convinced that ACOG is the ticket for what I want to do, but I'll reserve judgment on that right now, gun is still "new to me".....

Pumpkinheaver
05-08-10, 22:41
A 3-9X is enough for 300 yards on yotes. If you prefer more power than by all means go for it but if your budget is a concern 3-9's are probably less expensive.