PDA

View Full Version : does steel case hurt?

INMIline
05-05-10, 20:18
I have two cases of wolf and they just sit there. I thought about blasting it but all my Ar's are Colt. They are my babies and I'm affraid. Should I just sell it?

thopkins22
05-05-10, 20:22
1)Grow balls and shoot Wolf...it's fine.

2)?

3)Profit.

Oscar 319
05-05-10, 20:24
Send me a case and I'll run it through my Colt. I'll let you know how it works. ;)

Steel runs just fine. It's just dirty and smells bad (IMO). The older Wolf had a red laquer on the cases that would leave residue in the chamber. It will wipe right off.

Shoot that shit.

usmc6177
05-05-10, 20:37
Shoot it. Just keep an eye on the extractor and firing pin channel as the sealing polymer they use can build up. As long as you keep up with cleaning you will be fine. I shoot wolf because its what i can afford and it runs fine in both my guns.

Belmont31R
05-05-10, 20:38
Its fine as long as you clean the sealant out of the gun after shooting a few rounds (many hundreds). That crap is gummy when warmed up and slicked with oil.

I dont personally shoot much of it because its so weak, and the smell is horrid.

Kiznelly
05-06-10, 01:24
I put 78 rounds of Woof through the Colt 6400 barrel I built up this week. Shot good after it loosened up (new bolt carrier & upper)

My buddy gave me 1/2 a case and I have been using it as test ammunition.

It the weapon will shoot Wuf it will shoot tampons.

boltcatch
05-06-10, 01:24
Denatured alcohol will take the red sealant right out pretty much instantly, which is good. Even with the newer ammo that only has it around the primer, it gets everywhere... swab a q-tip with alcohol on it around in the receiver extension and it will come out bright red after shooting a hundred rounds or two of Wolf.

Frens
05-06-10, 04:31
dont need to worry since you have chromed chambers ;)

jwperry
05-06-10, 07:03
55gr Wolf cycles poorly in my SR15e3(consistently stovepipes), but works find in my ST15. I've been told its because of the midlength gas system. Anyone have any ideas?

djegators
05-06-10, 07:41
I'm sure the steel cased stuff is probably fine, and my ARs can "handle it", but I choose to only shoot Wolf and others like it through com-block weapons.

ghostman1960
05-06-10, 07:44
In my experience it only hurts when the ejected case goes down the front of your shirt.

ForTehNguyen
05-06-10, 08:21
55gr Wolf cycles poorly in my SR15e3(consistently stovepipes), but works find in my ST15. I've been told its because of the midlength gas system. Anyone have any ideas?

my two rifes with BCM middy with H buffer, eats wolf all day long with no problems

SteveL
05-06-10, 08:50

I'm surprised to hear a KAC rifle hangs up on it.

JSantoro
05-06-10, 10:25
A low-pressure Wolf round in a gun designed for NATO-level loads? It's not implausible.

1)Grow balls and shoot Wolf...it's fine.

2)?

3)Profit.

LOL :D

120mm
05-06-10, 13:23
Actually, it hurts like hell when Wolf 7.62 x 54mm ejects out of a PS-1 and hits you in the forehead at .999 C.

UVvis
05-06-10, 14:16
There are several other brands that use similar primer sealants that goop up bad. I think some Prvi and PMC use heavy coats of similar flaky gooey style sealants.

The biggest problems with steel cased ammunition are that many loadings are somewhat underpowered, the cases supposedly don't seal the chamber as well increasing fouling in the chamber, and the powders used don't always fit the DI gun gas systems the best.

I have never heard of weapon damage from steel cased ammunition, even on the internet. I have heard of poor function, which can be related to the above.

Littlelebowski
05-06-10, 14:28
No, you should not sell it and honestly, this has been talked about many times over. Not being a hardass but did you search before you posted?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=wolf+ammo+ar15+site:m4carbine.net

opmike
05-06-10, 19:00
Actually, it hurts like hell when Wolf 7.62 x 54mm ejects out of a PS-1 and hits you in the forehead at .999 C.

.999C?

I know a few physicists that would like to get their hands on that rifle.

Pappabear
05-06-10, 19:59
I shoot that Silver Bear sometimes and have never had a problem. For shooting steel in the desert, it works fine.

120mm
05-06-10, 22:53
.999C?

I know a few physicists that would like to get their hands on that rifle.

Sorry, PSL. That little Romanian bitch ejects with some authority.

shadow65
05-07-10, 06:34
I always get a kick out of these "Steel cased ammo" threads. Couple years ago before ammo went up, Wolf was the "Kiss of Death" for your AR. Now that 5.56 is .50 a round, Wolf is ok.
I've shot Wolf for years. Other than dirty and stinks, I never had one rifle go tits up ver Wolf.
I had a clown at a gun shop tell me when the round was fired, the sudden heat would harden the steel and ruin the chamber, extractor and bolt. :rolleyes:

djegators
05-07-10, 06:57
Well, what does happen when a round is fired is the case expands under the pressure. Brass will contract almost to its original dimensions, but steel cases contract very little. It may not mean much, but the steel is harder than the brass obviously, and the spent case is slightly larger.

shadow65
05-07-10, 08:09
That is a fact. But the steel is still soft steel. This guy was trying to tell me the sequence would turn it into "hardened steel"

graffex
05-07-10, 10:43
That is a fact. But the steel is still soft steel. This guy was trying to tell me the sequence would turn it into "hardened steel"

This is why you never listen to the dip shit's that work in gun stores. They're usually fudds that dont know the difference between a weapon and there own ass. They like to peddle rumor's and conjecture as facts. Obviously this isn't the case with all places but I'd estimate 90% of them fall under that category.

glockeyed
05-07-10, 12:20
i thought someone here found out that the steel used is actually softer than brass?

plk1222
05-07-10, 16:33
im afraid to shoot it in my LMT after the case got stuck in my Stag. and it was hard to get the case out. was this just a rare incident?

Abraxas
05-07-10, 16:37
im afraid to shoot it in my LMT after the case got stuck in my Stag. and it was hard to get the case out. was this just a rare incident?

Stags are more likely to have an out of spec chamber

plk1222
05-07-10, 16:54
like the rest of the gun compared to the LMT :D

RogerinTPA
05-07-10, 18:31
PM me if you want to properly dispose of it.

I've shot over 20K of Wolf and Barnaul through two 6920s, an LMT and a Sabre Defense upper Middy/Colt lower.

Much Ado about nothing. Lube and shoot.

RogerinTPA
05-07-10, 18:34
Stags are more likely to have an out of spec chamber

Agreed.

To the OP, stuck cases normally are from A.) Weak or bad extractors and B.) .223 chambered weapons.