PDA

View Full Version : Was I out of line?

michschi
05-05-10, 23:27
I was cruising the interweb at another forum where I am a member when I stumbled across a thread title "DPMS best start" so I clicked! Once inside the op stated that after looking around he has made his mind up that DPMS is his brand of choice going on to say that throne he was looking at was $1000.00!!! I offered some friendly advise after going to Bravo Co, and Grants site about being able to buy a BCM rifle for about the same or less then a grand! I also offered a break down of what the BCM would include as far as parts and components, then a bunch of dude jumped on my case telling him to get the DPMS and it is a great rifle and with suit him fine and more or less made me out to be a snob which was not intended! I thought I was trying to steer someones the right direction! Did I cross a line?

This was my post to him!

Here you could have a complete BCM (Bravo Company Manufacturing) AR15 for less or close. While I don't have anything against DPMS, I think you would have to look long and hand to find someone to tell you that DPMS is better the BCM! DARE I REFERENCE "THE CHART"

Now while I don't believe the chart is the perfect answer for newbies, it should help you make a informed decision, and iF you take a look at the chart you will see that the BCM is as good or better in every category, which brings me to my conclusion!

WHY PAY MORE OR THE SAME FOR LESS!

BCM uppers offer these Mil-Spec Features:
* M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension
* M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver
* T-Marked Upper Receivers
* USGI 1/7 Twist Rates
* USGI 5.56 NATO Chambers
* Mil-Spec 11595 - 4150 Grade Barrel Steel
* Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
* Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish
* Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sights
* USGI Government Profile Barrels
* HPT (High Pressure Test) Barrels
* MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) Barrels
* BCM auto BCG
* BCM Gunfighter Charging handle

$636.00

* All BCM4 Lower Receiver Groups feature
* Machined from Aluminum Forgings 7075 T6
* Hardcoat Anodizing: MIL-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2
* BCM Milspec Receiver Extention
* USGI Mold M4 Stock
* Staked M4 Lock Nut
* USGI H Buffer (1 GI Tungsten, 2 Steel)
* Magpul MOE Enhanced Trigger Guard
* Low Shelf for RDIAS installation
* Low Shelf for Accuwedge use
* Un-notched Hammer compatible with 9mm use
* Fire Controls marked SAFE and SEMI

$350.00

$636.00
+350.00
----------
$986.00 Grand Total with no salestax

DoomOnYou
05-05-10, 23:32
Nonsense, obviously they don't know what their talking about. You can't go out of line when suggesting something. Ignore the mindless mob.

opmike
05-05-10, 23:33
You gave your .02, about all you can do really. You were not out of line. I tend to just voice my opinions in threads like that and proceed to ignore them after I hit post.

I recently had someone get all pissy at me for suggesting they reevaluate some accessories they purchased and were planning to purchase. The guy bought a UTG rail and was looking to add a Magpul ACS stock :rolleyes:

Tom Swift
05-05-10, 23:37
Nope not at all, here in Canada my friend got a Norinco Chinese AR15 Clone. I got an LMT he whined about how I over payed and how his Norinco was just as good. He also got pissy when I told him I'd be buying an Aimpoint and not the same Vortex Aimpoint clone that he got.

I find that most people that knock the real deal, really just can't afford it and want it. Your not a snob they're just sore losers.

michschi
05-05-10, 23:42
Nope not at all, here in Canada my friend got a Norinco Chinese AR15 Clone. I got an LMT he whined about how I over payed and how his Norinco was just as good. He also got pissy when I told him I'd be buying an Aimpoint and not the same Vortex Aimpoint clone that he got.

I find that most people that knock the real deal, really just can't afford it and want it. Your not a snob they're just sore losers.

This is the part that bothers me is that I was showing that you could have a rifle the caliber of the BCM over a DPMS for the same or less money and they were arguing the the products where comparable to warrant the same cost!

Texpatriate
05-05-10, 23:51
You did nothing wrong, but to avoid all the crap, I've occasionally sent PM's to guys on other forums when they seem to be going down the wrong path. Guys who already own something can get defensive if you say that there is something better out there. I'd rather not start a thread fight, so I've decided that a politely worded PM is the way to go. Plus, you don't run the risk of embarrassing the OP publicly, while offering him good advice than he can take or leave. I don't really feel that I'm an expert on the AR platform and I don't want to present myself as one publicly. I'm just someone who has read and taken what I think is good advice from those on this forum who know more than I do. That's how I've handled it at least.

djegators
05-05-10, 23:59
After seeing too many pointless, confrontational, and often uninformed pissing over AR (and other firearms) brands and parts, I have decided to avoid them.

Cameron
05-06-10, 00:06
There is absolutely no way you should worry or get frustrated about idiocy on the internet, or in the real world for that matter. You did more than enough in providing a information about a superior alternative.

The reality is that people make stupid choices everyday for a myriad of stupid reasons. There is not enough time in the day to argue with stupid people.

The best thing that you can do, is to be an excellent example. Pony up and buy yourself another BCM! Got an M4, then get a middy, got a Recce then get an SPR. Be a wonderful example.

Cameron

Oscar 319
05-06-10, 00:10
Don't tell the Goobers our secrets. SShhhhhhhh!

Fireglock
05-06-10, 00:21
The vast majority of folks have never heard of BCM. And while DPMS is a dirty word here there are lots of folks who like them for one reason or another. You shared the knowledge you had and that's all one can ever do, it's up to them to use it or not.

Titleist
05-06-10, 00:28
Got an M4, then get a middy, got a Recce then get an SPR.

Cameron

I read that out loud and my wallet just ran screaming from the room.

JimT
05-06-10, 00:45
After seeing too many pointless, confrontational, and often uninformed pissing over AR (and other firearms) brands and parts, I have decided to avoid them.

Amen.

A lot of my coworkers come to me and ask what I recommend. I throw in my two cents and reasons why to choose certain brands. Almost all of them disregard my advice.

You can lead a horse to water...

the_fallguy
05-06-10, 04:18
I try to avoid telling anyone specifically what to buy anymore. I just tell them what I have tried, what I did or didn't like about it and what I eventually settled on (and offer to let them try it out if they're local).

So far, only one of them actually sprang for a BCM, but a lot of my shooting buddies have Glock 19's now...

120mm
05-06-10, 04:24
Derrrrr! but the gunstore only has DPMS and Bushmaster, Derrrr! And the expert there tole me they were a STEAL at only $1400 out the door.... Derrrr!

The counter guy never even heard about now LMT, BCM or KAC. Them must be little companies that make crap! Derrrr!!!!

DaBears_85
05-06-10, 05:07
Derrrrr! but the gunstore only has DPMS and Bushmaster, Derrrr! And the expert there tole me they were a STEAL at only $1400 out the door.... Derrrr!

The counter guy never even heard about now LMT, BCM or KAC. Them must be little companies that make crap! Derrrr!!!!

"And I really shouldn't even be giving it up for $1400, the boss is gonna kill me. But I wanna get you started off right..."

I hate that shit. I understand it's a business and they're there to make money but some of that shit borderlines on malicious. There's a good chance they're gonna figure out that you screwed them when they get on the net awhile down the road trying to figure why their new "top o' the line" rifle continues to have FTF's. So why not genuinely try and help someone make an informed decision and hopefully earn a loyal customer in the process? Unfortunately, I know that makes too much sense to be applicable in the real world.

Sorry to take this thing seriously off-track. I just get pissed when I see or hear about these things.

Edit: You didn't cross the line. Most times people already have their minds made up before they even begin asking for advice and anything you say that's contradictory to their pre-concieved notions is gonna fall on deaf ears. They're just looking for people to re-enforce their decision, no matter how absurd it might be. In turn, those are going to be the only people they listen to. It's basically an excercise in futility.

It's not just on other sights either. How many times have you seen threads started here where people ask for advice on a purchase and no matter how much advice and quality info they receive from others in the know end up buying a Double-Star or some equivalent?

Iraqgunz
05-06-10, 07:03
Good advice, but as my old Doc used to say "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't suck its' ass to make it drink".

I would probably have tried to PM him.

Robb Jensen
05-06-10, 07:17
I try to avoid telling anyone specifically what to buy anymore.

Me too. Working in a gunstore I show them what we have. I explain the different attributes of each. I tell of my experiences with using them and working on them and let them make their own decision. Some brands we don't carry because we don't have the room, but some brands we just don't carry simply because they suck. We offer transfers for that junk. Some then get that junk (because their buddy has one or recommends it) and later come in to ask if I can make it run. The old saying is "pain is a wonderful teacher".

Sometimes that 'pain' is from a wound to the wallet.

Abraxas
05-06-10, 07:24
I thought I was trying to steer someones the right direction! Did I cross a line?

Pearls before swine my boy.;)

bobvila
05-06-10, 07:28
I look at it like religion, just because you found a better way, if you go preaching it to random people they will get pissed off. Jehovah witnesses might have the best religion, but when they wake me up on a Saturday morning I want to shoot them in the face, and refuse to listen to them.

luckybychoice
05-06-10, 07:42
well i appreciate the info,sorting thru the AR possibilities myself,always leaning to the BCM,KAC side anyway,your information just reinforces my thoughts,although i have experience shooting ARs,I am looking to purchase/build one,kind of a fan of trying to do it right the first time too.So no you didn't cross a line,and yes your info has helped.

ralph
05-06-10, 08:06
To the Op;
No, you did'nt get out of line at all, you shared your knowlege, As was stated above, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" That is quite true, I've done the same thing, guys at work would ask me about buying a AR, I'd tell them what I know,Usually, they balk at the price,Alot of these guys think paying $1000 for a rifle that is reliable,accurate, and capable of saving your ass in a pinch, is waaay to much to spend.I ask them "how much is your life worth?" Almost always get "the deer in the headlights" look. A couple of times I even printed up "the chart" complete, with all the text, told them to sit down and read before buying..it was pointless. In almost every case, they ran right out and bought the first AR they saw, usually,something on the very low end of the chart..and usually, they overpaid. Anymore, I don't offer advice..Pain really is the best teacher,That, and when they figured out they got screwed by the shop they bought it from..

C4IGrant
05-06-10, 08:13
First, good attempt.

To be honest though, the DPMS might actually "fit" his needs just fine (as he will never shoot it and just wanted a black rifle to show his "buds".)

C4

SteveL
05-06-10, 09:12
No you did not cross the line. I've seen it happen time and again in other forums of various topics. Any time someone pops in asking if the decision that they've already made is good as opposed to asking for help in making the best decision possible, a red flag should go up because you may get jumped on for answering honestly.

Truggy
05-06-10, 10:35
All I can say is Thanks... Because of users like you - helped me make the right decision when I was looking along with the "chart".... you tried and did you best... some people it may not make a difference... other learn the hardway...

My brother in law has a DPMS (not his choice) hi gun guy bought it for him at a discount. You can see the differences when you compare my DD to his. Although I will admit his gap and wiggle is prob less than mine. I do like the DPMS plastic mold on the inside. Looks like it can hold a lot of different configurations compare to the egg carton foam in my DD came in.

Beat Trash
05-06-10, 10:52
Grant had a point.

Many who go out and buy an AR15, might shoot a few rounds through it at first. But then, they turn it into a safe queen. These are the folks who don't want to shoot it, because the ammunition is too expensive. If you think about it, there is nothing wrong with this.

To those folks who want to own a gun to brag about, or plink a magazine or two per year, then the DPMS might be just the ticket. It looks "cool" enough!

Some people take advice in quantity, not in quality.

With this thought in mind, many will bash well established brands because the individual either can't afford it, or is trying to justify (sometimes to themselves) why they didn't buy the established brand.

Many will defend their decision to their dying breath, rather than admit they made a poor choice. These types can be rather vocal on the internet.

I grew up hearing the phrase, "buy quality, buy once, buy crap, buy often". This was in reference to hand tools and guns.

To the OP, your intentions were noble. But I have found that internet sites tend to attract individuals of like interests. On gun sites, some are centered around those who like to own guns, and on occasion, shoot them a bit. But not too much, as bullets are expensive, and range time takes away from building up high post counts!

Some sites (such as this one) tend to attract individuals who find the above, well, rather annoying. Sites such as this one tend to attract individuals who actually use their guns, train to use their guns, and view their guns more as tools vs. toys.

Many Officers within my Department came to me with questions about buying an AR about 6 months go. These were basically inter-city officers who wanted to have a carbine around just in case. For those not in Law Enforcement, most LEO's are cheap... Very...

When the conversations came to the point of "well, do I really need to buy a ___? Isn't a ___ almost as good?" I remind them why they said they wanted to buy the gun. I also tell them if they ever need this thing, then they really need it to work. None of these individuals bought a DPMS, or a Bushmaster...

hellbound
05-06-10, 10:55
was this on arfcom?
in the minds of half of those jackasses, if it's chromelined and isn't an HBAR, you are a gun snob.

BVickery
05-06-10, 11:45
I've gone the route of asking what they are going to use the rifle for. If its plinking/range use, then a DPMS would be fine. But if it has any remote chance of being used for self defense then go BCM, LMT, Noveske etc.

The moment they say 'This is just as good as the others, it just costs less" I ask them how the hell do you think they get it so cheap, but cutting corners where they can, or using lesser quality components.

I had a guy extoll how his Del-ton upper runs just great. When I asked how it was in a class, or run hard he says he hasn't run it hard.

Now, when subject about AR uppers comes up he never chimes in anymore with 'I have one and it runs flawless'. I'm guessing he ran it hard and found out he got what he paid for.

d90king
05-06-10, 11:56
No you weren't out of line. That said OPSEC on BCM with the idiots, its hard enough for the guys who want to buy the best to find them.

Let the Oly, DPMS and Shrubmasters fanboys stay content with their choices so that it leaves more Bravo for us.:D

scottd907
05-06-10, 12:32
I try to push a person towards something they'll like rather then what's cheaper or better for their needs. Like you have done. Just because a rifle has better features doesn't mean you'll be winning matches or shootin like a pro. Only time and lots of shooting(getting use to your rifle) will get you to those levels of Black rifle shooting.

It took me 2 rifles to figure out what I was looking for. And I had all this info to use, no excuse other then lack of local choices. My lack of patients has cost me in the long run, but iv learned a lot while making these poor choices.

Scott

michschi
05-06-10, 12:55
No you weren't out of line. That said OPSEC on BCM with the idiots, its hard enough for the guys who want to buy the best to find them.

Let the Oly, DPMS and Shrubmasters fanboys stay content with their choices so that it leaves more Bravo for us.:D

LOL! My wife won't be a fan of more Bravo for me!

michschi
05-06-10, 12:58
With this thought in mind, many will bash well established brands because the individual either can't afford it, or is trying to justify (sometimes to themselves) why they didn't buy the established brand.

That was just the thing. I proved to him that a BCM could be had for the same money or less and other jumped on me for it. I never even said you should pay more for better quality, I merely said you could pay the same or less for better quality so why wouldn't you!

Abraxas
05-06-10, 15:31
Jehovah witnesses might have the best religion, but when they wake me up on a Saturday morning I want to shoot them in the face, and refuse to listen to them.
I thought I was grumpy in the morning

cannarella
05-06-10, 16:28
I was and still am an uninformed person when I was purchasing my AR but I got kicked in the head enough here to LEARN before making a mistake and am thankful to the guys here that guided me in the right direction. I got a much better setup then if I was on my original course. I think showing someone another option is not wrong. In the end it is your opinion and you got that from experience and education and they can take it or leave it. It is their loss of gain. Good for you for speaking up.

Norinco
05-06-10, 16:51
You were deff not out of line. Some people make up their mind about something and there is nothing you can say or do to open their mind. There was nothing offensive about your post and if I were new to firearms and thought DPMS was a good rifle, I would find your post quite informative...but some people just won’t listen.

Hersh
05-06-10, 17:19
To the OP, you weren't out of line at all imo. The guys that jumped you probably didn't know what all those specs. you shared meant anyway.

Beat Trash
05-06-10, 17:51
That was just the thing. I proved to him that a BCM could be had for the same money or less and other jumped on me for it. I never even said you should pay more for better quality, I merely said you could pay the same or less for better quality so why wouldn't you!

Especially in today's AR market, better quality doesn't always mean it will cost alot more money.

To the OP, your heart was in the right place, all you can do is give the best advise you can. When it is ignored, try not to laugh too hard when you get the opportunity to say, "told you so...".

RogerinTPA
05-06-10, 18:18
Next time, post links to the Chart and Oh no....I bought a BM, OLY, Stag, before I knew better....that will cause numerous heart attacks and get you attacked like a school of Puranas.:p

kalibos
05-06-10, 18:33
i'm glad people like you are willing to share your opinion on things that you have researched and know about. if it were not for this site and the people on it giving their opinions and advice i would still have my first ar...a del-ton.
the day i bought it i found this site and sold the rifle the very next day for a slight profit and built a totally better gun consisting of a noveske lower, larue stealth upper, BCM bcg, DD chf barrel and DD lite rail...completely different animal than the del-ton i must say:D

30 cal slut
05-06-10, 21:07
Next time, post links to the Chart and Oh no....I bought a BM, OLY, Stag, before I knew better....that will cause numerous heart attacks and get you attacked like a school of Puranas.:p

I think I have contributed to more than my fair share of heart attacks by passing that link around.

In the end, though, serious folk tend to accept The Chart and act accordingly.

The_War_Wagon
05-07-10, 07:58
Welcome to the Interweb! They can't ALL be M4C! :p

QUALITY is an acquired taste - it took me a while. Let the crowd spend a fortune making their rifles "as good as" - and it's STILL not - & sometimes that becomes a better teacher, than the most wisened, reasoned, voice among us. Besides - maybe you'll be able to get some of their gear cheap, when they break up their old rifle for sale! ;)

michschi
05-07-10, 08:25
Welcome to the Interweb! They can't ALL be M4C! :p

QUALITY is an acquired taste - it took me a while. Let the crowd spend a fortune making their rifles "as good as" - and it's STILL not - & sometimes that becomes a better teacher, than the most wisened, reasoned, voice among us. Besides - maybe you'll be able to get some of their gear cheap, when they break up their old rifle for sale! ;)

Good to see ya bud, yeah no, kidding, you can't hide on the interweb. By the way your new build is gorgeous!

scfast
05-07-10, 19:42
Next your going to tell me Oly is crap to:DThey told me Oly was milspec and all the others are out of spec LOL

michschi
05-07-10, 19:50
Next your going to tell me Oly is crap to:DThey told me my Oly was milspec and all the others are out of spec LOL

LOL, nice bro!

onado2000
05-08-10, 10:17
Sometimes its better to give advice when asked. People dont want to be wrong, they are fragile & it hurts their ego. So when his P.O.S.-AR craps out and he is left wondering why, or when he is “that guy” at the range tinkering instead of shooting, he will figure things out and ask questions. Im not a consultant, I dont hang a shingle on my front door offering advice, so if they want advice they have to ask for it . You did a righteous thing offering your knowledge, and you got crap for your effort. Live & learn .

motorolahamm
05-08-10, 12:25
Its just advice and good advice , but they can take it or leave it some people just have there mind made up from the begining and you cant change it. i own a colt , a colt lower with lmt upper , and a complete bushmaster some will say bushy is a pile of crap . but hey bought it from a friend in need of some help and have never had an issue with it . and have put about 500 rds thru it or so , but did take the advice from Iraqgunz and quib on a couple things that would improve the weapon. and so I did it was great for me to get the advice from some of the more experts .

GSA
05-08-10, 13:35
You definitely did the right thing. I'd actually be pretty annoyed if I asked the question and only found out later that I got fed a bunch of crap, . . . and he will find out at some stage.

Quentin
05-08-10, 17:33
You did the right thing michschi and your efforts did educate the OP. Not out of line at all. I saw that thread and you were extremely helpful to him and he was starting to see the light. Last time I saw it he was leaning heavily to BCM due to your help and all the links you provided.

It was surprising to see how many responders recommended the DPMS even at $1400 but then that site often gives bad information.

michschi
05-08-10, 17:48
You did the right thing michschi and your efforts did educate the OP. Not out of line at all. I saw that thread and you were extremely helpful to him and he was starting to see the light. Last time I saw it he was leaning heavily to BCM due to your help and all the links you provided.

It was surprising to see how many responders recommended the DPMS even at $1400 but then that site often gives bad information.

While I enjoy my time there, sometimes I feel they are a little easy going on people, I say on another thread, someone asked what a good choice for an upper was, and here I will post what was said! An example of bad advice!

OP-I want a flat top with M4 feed ramps. If the price is right I would like to get a complete upper (BCG, barrel, upper, etc, etc...)

I shoot lefty, so I was thinking about getting a lefty upper, but am not married to it.... Your thoughts on Stag? Any other lefty uppers you recommend?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Advise from another member with 4,000 posts mind you!
Any upper will be GTG. Welcome to BRD.

Then my post!
QUOTE (xxxxx @ May 5th 2010 10:41 PM)
Any upper will be GTG. Welcome to BRD.

Well I don't agree with this! I think we owe this new member better leadership then that. There are plenty of good uppers are there, but I would not say any are good to go. A BCM upper can be had for like 425. I have heard good things about the left handed Stag upper, and since I am not left handed I can't tell you I know how to feel to be a lefty in a righty world. Do some more reseach. But if m4 feedramps are one of your major hangups, that will rule out a couple makers like RRAs and a couple others, so just look around, and make sure it has what you want, In the AR market there are so many options you shouldn't have to settle! From the sounds of things your lower will be solid, and you will like that RRA LPK, its nice! You can always pm me and I will try to help best I can!

opmike
05-09-10, 01:26
While I used to recommend BCM, LMT, DD, Colt, Noveske, etc. quite frequently whenever people have been in the market for an AR with 1000 dollars burning a whole in their pocket, now I just try to get a feel for what the OP's experience level is and what he wants to do with it. I then work from there.

Honestly, for someone looking for a range toy to toss a UTG rail, a bipod, a laser and a bunch of other junk, and only plan to shoot like 1,000 rounds a year if that, it probably doesn't even matter what they buy. It's quite easy to figure out people who are wanting to go down this route.

For someone who seems they will be getting more serious use out of their rifle, I tend extend more help and input.

conservahaulic
05-09-10, 21:56
I would rather have my $600.00 dollar Del Ton upper w/ M&P lower than the DPMS, but thats just me.

pleaforwar
05-09-10, 22:46
LOL, you crack me up Michschi.

michschi
05-09-10, 22:48
LOL, you crack me up Michschi.

WHY is that?

pleaforwar
05-09-10, 22:55
WHY is that?

Yikes, busting out the caps lock. :eek:

I remember some threads about a particular forum. Something about how receptive they were to your RRA, and another about a moderator that kept locking your threads.

Now you are here, describing the very same forum you created those threads in.

Where you out of line in that post? Not at all. Coming here and making that entire forum sound like a bunch of amateurs? LOL, that my friend, is what cracks me up.

michschi
05-09-10, 23:05
Yikes, busting out the caps lock. :eek:

I remember some threads about a particular forum. Something about how receptive they were to your RRA, and another about a moderator that kept locking your threads.

Now you are here, describing the very same forum you created those threads in.

Where you out of line in that post? Not at all. Coming here and making that entire forum sound like a bunch of amateurs? LOL, that my friend, is what cracks me up.

I hear you, I was just upset, wanted a second opinion, thats all! I never meant to make them sound like amateurs. I learned the hard way, and I was upset with people here, It is hard to accept you made a mistake that was well over a $1000. I was trying to help that member learn from my mistake, and some of the advice he was given I felt was questionable at best. I have done alot more reading and reasearch since my mistake and I won't make it again. On the otherhand, I love that forum, I just wanted a second opinion that is all. Props on how observative you are. I can't hardly remember what I had for dinner much less posts by others. Good memory.

pleaforwar
05-09-10, 23:10
I hear you, I was just upset, wanted a second opinion, thats all! I never meant to make them sound like amateurs. I learned the hard way, and I was upset with people here, It is hard to accept you made a mistake that was well over a $1000. I was trying to help that member learn from my mistake, and some of the advice he was given I felt was questionable at best. I have done alot more reading and reasearch since my mistake and I won't make it again. On the otherhand, I love that forum, I just wanted a second opinion that is all. Props on how observative you are. I can't hardly remember what I had for dinner much less posts by others. Good memory.

I learned a very important concept in the Corps, and that is to police your own. There is no reason to hang dirty laundry where it doesn't belong.

I understand learning the hard way. I thought I was set with my Bushy ORC I had back in '08. I now longer own it.

Some people refuse to listen. It is a fact of life. I just recommend you ignore detractors and keep trying to help those that are receptive.

S/F,
Dan

michschi
05-09-10, 23:12
I learned a very important concept in the Corps, and that is to police your own. There is no reason to hang dirty laundry where it doesn't belong.

I understand learning the hard way. I thought I was set with my Bushy ORC I had back in '08. I now longer own it.

Some people refuse to listen. It is a fact of life. I just recommend you ignore detractors and keep trying to help those that are receptive.

S/F,
Dan

I hear ya, Thanks for you service. I am sure you hear that everyday, but seriously thanks!

fdxpilot
05-10-10, 00:32
I saw that thread. You did notice that DPMS is a Sponsor of that forum, and very little negative gets said about DPMS. In fact, it seems that any rifle this side of Oly or Blackthorne gets a GTG over there.

michschi
05-10-10, 00:41
I saw that thread. You did notice that DPMS is a Sponsor of that forum, and very little negative gets said about DPMS. In fact, it seems that any rifle this side of Oly or Blackthorne gets a GTG over there.

I know right, like the post, any upper and your GTG! I was like really?

Jeff Franz
05-10-10, 07:18
Michschi,

As you well know, I've had my dust-ups over on TOS on everything from why UTG rails are great, why would anyone buy a KAC Triple Tap, and why buy another Chinese made low end optic. When I post objective data, I get attacked as self-aggrandizing and a "know-it-all," and a gear snob by certain guys over there. One thing to keep in mind is that the majority, if not all, of those throwing stones over there are at best once a year shooters. The OP on TOS is probably going to buy a rifle, fire maybe 200 rounds through it, and it will sit in his safe. In that role, a DPMS will serve him great. As I posted in my response over there, if he runs it hard in a class or competitions, he will find out the shortcomings of an inferior rifle, and will be upgrading if he wishes to continue. You posted solid information on why he should purchase a BCM product (as I recently did - middy BFH upper with KAC URX rails), and you got him thinking. If he doesn't take your advice, you led him to water. That's all you can do. Who gives a shit what the others think? If you notice, it is a vocal minority who know it all and bash those of us who buy quality gear and spend time and money training and actually shooting. **** those guys. The majority over there are good guys who actually read others' opinions and weigh them in their decisions. At the end of the day, it's like arguing politics. With some, no matter what facts or real world experiences you present, you will not change their minds.

5.56LEO
05-10-10, 08:29
michschi

I don't think you were out of line. Having been a long time member on another forum. You'll always have people who won't agree, or who have a emotional interest in a specific firearm.

I look at firearms as tools, and some tools are better than others, or better suited for a certain job.

I'm a Bushmaster Armorer, and carry a Bushmaster at work. I've made sure that our work carbines are good to go and that any potential issues have been checked and taken care of.

That being said, I own 2 S&W M&P 15's, a 15 and a 15T. I recognize and prefer the quality they exhibit. It doesn't mean that others won't prefer something else. Someone may come along in 2 minutes and bash them. To each his own.

Luckily I haven't seen that much here, and is why I decided to become a member here.

I think you did the right thing, for what it's worth.

QuickStrike
05-10-10, 12:04
Good advice, but as my old Doc used to say "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't suck its' ass to make it drink".

I would probably have tried to PM him.

WTF??!!1 LOL! :D

OP,
You did good, if the person doesn't listen then it's his problem.

Magic_Salad0892
05-11-10, 03:32
As everybody else has said. You weren't out of line.

You should have recommended an Olympic Arms though. Isn't that what the military uses? Totally worth the $1,900 I saw a firearm vendor sell it for the other day.