05-06-10, 08:03
http://marinesmagazine.dodlive.mil/2010/04/05/maul/

Rated21R
05-06-10, 08:32
that's just mean. it fits the Marines.

JSantoro
05-06-10, 10:03
No, it's freakin' dumb.

STILL hanging it off the gawd damned barrel. Jeez, how much more does that forward attachment mess with jump angle?

A supplement to or replacement for the M1014? The Corps already has units that rate 8 M1014s that still have 8 pump guns because autoloaders don't cycle nonlethals. So, the idea is to add YET ANOTHER shotgun that won't do so? This thing says it does, but I'll bet that it's manual-cycle only, and not a true semi-auto on the nonlethal side. Type-specific units already have the shotguns they like to use for breaching.

So, replacement for M1014 or supplement to? If Supplement, it's a twice-over redundant capability that costs $$$ that could be used somewhere that makes sense. If a replacement, all it's gonna do is reduce the need to carry another gun slung, which further menas that the reduced weight and bulk on an individual warfighter is gonna get filled up with something else, because that's the way the leadership thinks:
"Well, this weighs less/takes up less space. That means that I can now make my Marines carry this, this, that, and this instead! I'm a genius!"

Taking it further back, before everybody gets all turgid, is this a Program of Record, or is it merely a concept that's being toyed with?

Overenthusiasm masquerading as common sense.

YATYAS
05-06-10, 14:52
No, it's freakin' dumb.

STILL hanging it off the gawd damned barrel. Jeez, how much more does that forward attachment mess with jump angle?

A supplement to or replacement for the M1014? The Corps already has units that rate 8 M1014s that still have 8 pump guns because autoloaders don't cycle nonlethals. So, the idea is to add YET ANOTHER shotgun that won't do so? This thing says it does, but I'll bet that it's manual-cycle only, and not a true semi-auto on the nonlethal side. Type-specific units already have the shotguns they like to use for breaching.

So, replacement for M1014 or supplement to? If Supplement, it's a twice-over redundant capability that costs $$$ that could be used somewhere that makes sense. If a replacement, all it's gonna do is reduce the need to carry another gun slung, which further menas that the reduced weight and bulk on an individual warfighter is gonna get filled up with something else, because that's the way the leadership thinks:
"Well, this weighs less/takes up less space. That means that I can now make my Marines carry this, this, that, and this instead! I'm a genius!"

Taking it further back, before everybody gets all turgid, is this a Program of Record, or is it merely a concept that's being toyed with?

Overenthusiasm masquerading as common sense.

Yeah, but I still want one! OOH RAH!

JSantoro
05-06-10, 15:21
____:D____

CarlosDJackal
05-06-10, 15:34
It says that it's a 5-shot. Where is the magazine located?

HK51Fan
05-06-10, 15:41
They're stacked in the barrel and each one if fired with an electric charge. Then you switch out the barrel and stick another in and you have 5 more shots.

m24shooter
05-08-10, 13:29

Actually, it looks to be electrically fired with the rounds stacked in the mag tube/barrel. Makes sense seeing as it appears that Metal Storm came up with the idea and that's what their stuff is based on.
Now if it works is another question.

JSantoro
05-08-10, 13:53
Yeah, I picked up on that. Another limited-application system.

EDIT: My apologies; the first part of the sentence directly above isn't worded correctly, but I'm leaving the error in place. I "caught" it in the sense that I asked One Who Knows (I refer to them as the "glittery people") about the silly thing after my initial submission. Figured I'd ask if some genius had figured out how to make an autoloader reliably shoot nonlethal rounds. Alas, nobody's that smart, yet.

It works, but it doesn't make sense. We've got a similar, nonlethal, system called Venom that lobs flash-bangs. Same sort of firing system, same the-tube-is-the-round feed, and the same sort of limited-application. I see it as being great for something like embassy security and tossing distraction devices near/into crowds, but they want to hang the things on gun-truck turrets, ffs. Moronic, another material solution to a training hurdle.

The tube IS the round(s), as it were, so instead of carrying shotgun rounds with you, you have the bulk and weight of the whole tubes. Nobody wants to carry that in their assault pack when they can just stick shotgun rounds on a shellcard or in a dump pouch or whatever. You can often FEEL in limited visibility what sort of shotgun round you feed the gun, can't do that with an electrically-fired cylinder loaded with 0000 buck when you want stingballs. Also, now you want to hang another power supply (other than optical devices) on the rifle?

Hogwash. The Master Key is out there, plus the stock 870s/500s, plus the M1014. The Emperor is crowing about his new clothes he bought. The crowd is so wowed by the sheer novelty of it all that nobody's pointing out that they can see his junk because he's really just naked.

Failure2Stop
05-08-10, 16:20
I am so feaking disappointed in acquisitions.

JSantoro
05-08-10, 17:40
Too many folks listening to this @#$%

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/855/goodideafairy.jpg

DMR
05-08-10, 19:50
Too many folks listening to this @#$%

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/855/goodideafairy.jpg

The solution we provided to shotgun configuration to our customers was MUCH simpler. That said I am looking forward to sending out our objective mod. Live fire testing is on going:D