PDA

View Full Version : Prisoners-What To Do With Them?

05-06-10, 08:16
What should be done with all the prisoners in a situation where they would not be able to be guarded? As in the guards are going to flee and just leave them. Joe Shmo in for a DWI or non-violent crime such as shoplifting wouldn't deserve to be shot. Then we come to the rapists, murders, and habitual violent offenders. Not sure who would do it, or who would make the call, but I'd probably vote for a lead infusion. If it was obvious it was going to be years, if at all, before a functioning government would be up and running..... I feel it may fall to whomever is left in the area to protect what is left of society by dispatching the worst offenders. This is a tough call. My wife and I were discussing preps. when she brought the subject up. Got me to thinking. Thoughts, ideas?

Tactical_Machete
05-06-10, 08:59
Not too many options for things like that. I think it is similar to hospitals for the mentally ill. What do you do?

tc556guy
05-06-10, 11:05
I doubt very much that SHTF so fast that the system will not have dealt with it. Non-violent offenders in county lock ups will have been RORd or sentences commuted. State parole violators are the property of the state, not the municipality holding them awaiting their parole hearings, so the state would dictate what happened to "their" inmates. As for the state prisons...I have to believe that the state has some sort of plan in place for a major disaster. I wouldn't want to live in one of those rural towns who've welcomed the construction of prisons in recent years.

Eddiesketti
05-06-10, 18:57
It really depends on the situation. The guards might eventually leave and let the prisoners die. They will either starve/be killed or raped and killed if they cannot escape. To some, that is a great way not to waste our money... if that would even matter anymore. Other people in prison/jails might be innocent or have done lesser crimes. Where to move killers/rapists is the question? Where is the populace located in regards to where the criminals need to be moved to?
If they escape, who is responsible?

Let them rot. Sometimes a few good people have to die for the greater good. They might not be able to get out, but what if someone tries to break them out. That is like a free army. I am sure they would pack together and take whatever they could once on the outside.

That would be like someone printing off the convicted sex offender list from the local pd and hunting them down when shtf. People will do these things.

kalikraven
05-06-10, 19:34
Funny. I'm a CO working in a jail right now. If TEOTWAWKI happened or a EMP burst, my first priority would be my own familys safety and security. The biggest problem for me would be getting out myself. Hopefully the other co's would get the emergency keys and let me out of here before they leave. In these modern jails it's all electronic locks and if they went down and nobody came to let me out I'd be trapped in my control room.

As far as the inmates... I wouldn't harm the inmates but I damn well wouldn't set the loose either.

jklaughrey
05-06-10, 22:43
I have a very good friend who works for DOC in my state and they have a set of rules for close and medium custody. Execution for those serving life, execution for all violent offenders or career criminals. Sex crimes and things of that nature are execution. Non violent are to be released if found no longer a threat. Minimum and community are released. So if you are a criminal better be like a non violent bank robber who has no assaults during your sentence. Cheers!

kalikraven
05-06-10, 23:24
That sounds like a plan that would work. I'm at the county level and we havn't planned for an event that would require those actions. Most of our inmates are pretrial with the sentanced ones being less tahn a year for misdemeanors. As soon as they get convicted as a felon they get trucked off to the state DOC.

RiggerGod
05-09-10, 01:26
Not sure who would do it, or who would make the call, but I'd probably vote for a lead infusion.

Actually infusing lead is just silly and impractical. ;) As for shooting them... ammo is a precious commodity and getting awfully expensive these days! Unleaded fuel however is only shelf stable for a few years and ignitions sources are cheap, plentiful, and easy to improvise! Better still a rope is eco-friendly! Reduce, reuse, recycle! :)

Moose-Knuckle
05-21-10, 07:26
Funny. I'm a CO working in a jail right now. If TEOTWAWKI happened or a EMP burst, my first priority would be my own familys safety and security. The biggest problem for me would be getting out myself. Hopefully the other co's would get the emergency keys and let me out of here before they leave. In these modern jails it's all electronic locks and if they went down and nobody came to let me out I'd be trapped in my control room.

As far as the inmates... I wouldn't harm the inmates but I damn well wouldn't set the loose either.

Same here, I work for a municipal LE agency and in the event anything should happen my family comes first. Criminals our a cancer to society...they feed on off the herd. In a SHTF event they would make a target rich environment. ;)

QuietShootr
05-21-10, 07:33
http://www.openpit.com/_images/original_sauces_pac.jpg