PDA

View Full Version : Deputy Uses AR-15 To End Home Invasion

woodandsteel
05-06-10, 09:12
I remember there being a thread about if normal patrol officers have ever used there patrol rifles in the line of duty before. This is a good example to use when others (including some officers :rolleyes:) scoff at the idea of police having patrol rifles in their squad cars, with them.

http://my.att.net/scripts/editorial.dll?eeid=7291369&eetype=Article&print=printarticle&_sitecat=1522

5 shot, 2 dead, when gunman invades LA area home

HAWAIIAN GARDENS, Calif. (AP) - A gunman with an assault rifle stormed his ex-girlfriend's California home early Thursday and shot four people, killing two of them, before a sheriff's deputy confronted and shot the attacker.

Los Angeles County Undersheriff Larry Waldie says a deputy on patrol heard automatic weapons fire, grabbed his AR-15 rifle and confronted the gunman outside the home. The gunman then pointed his AR-47 at the deputy, who fired twice and wounded the man.

The deputy wasn't hurt.

The deputy went inside the home in Hawaiian Gardens, south of Los Angeles, and found the bodies of the man's ex-girlfriend and her 14-year-old brother. Her father and mother are hospitalized in critical condition with gunshot wounds.

Waldie said the gunman was distraught over the breakup.

"He made kind of a dying declaration, saying 'I was upset with the family because of the relationship,' " Waldie told KTLA-TV.

No names were released.

Another six people inside the home at the time escaped, Waldie said.

The undersheriff said lives were saved because of the deputy's reaction, noting the gunman was carrying a gasoline can and apparently planned to shoot others and burn down the home.

"With those running out and the amount of shooting going on, he could have killed all 10 people," he said.

Waldie said the gunman first "shot his way into a side door" and shot the woman's father at the door. He then went through the house, shooting the mother, and then headed upstairs, where he killed his ex-girlfriend and her brother.

Good job on the deputy's part. Especially while looking down the barrel of a rifle.

Not sure about the AR-47 reference.

Littlelebowski
05-06-10, 09:48
Too bad that a normal citizen would probably caught all hell for using an "assault" rifle in the same scenario in CA.

bkb0000
05-06-10, 09:58
i'd really like to see what this asshole's rifle looks like

Buck
05-06-10, 10:00
Too bad that a normal citizen would probably caught all hell for using an "assault" rifle in the same scenario in CA.

From who???

JSantoro
05-06-10, 10:19
From who???

80% of the population.

Statist politicians.

The police.

Prosecutors.

Pick somebody. It's California.

500grains
05-06-10, 10:21
A left wing prosecutor can ruin your life, even if you do a good deed. I agree that an ordinary citizen doing the same in CA stands a good chance of going to the slammer. It's not right but it is reality.

bkb0000
05-06-10, 10:26
From who???

funny guy

Irish
05-06-10, 10:27
Not sure about the AR-47 reference.
There are multiple news outlets that all list the same "AR-47" in their articles as well. Good job on the Deputy's part.

NCPatrolAR
05-06-10, 10:28
I think Buck might be able to provide some actual insight into a person getting charged or not as opposed to reciting the same old lines everyone seems to throw it when this topic comes up.

bkb0000
05-06-10, 10:30
most people think "AR" is simply abbreviation for "assault rifle," therefor all "assault rifles" are ARs.

even my own wife thought this, apparently, until about a year ago... i took a shit right there in the middle of the living room floor.

bobvila
05-06-10, 10:32
I call bullstuff, the gun laws in CA prevent those things.

Entropy
05-06-10, 11:36
Good judgement on the deputy's part. Bring an intermediate to a fist fight, bring a handgun to an intermediate fight, and bring a long gun to a gun fight.

Littlelebowski
05-06-10, 15:52
I think Buck might be able to provide some actual insight into a person getting charged or not as opposed to reciting the same old lines everyone seems to throw it when this topic comes up.

I was not only referring to potential legal problems but mainly media hype over an assault weapon in CA.

Cascades236
05-06-10, 18:30

let me guess, cops can never do right by you eh?

anytime we shoot someone we are second guessed no matter how justified. Oh the bad guy was changing his life, we should have used a taser blah blah blah, a citizen would catch all hell for doing this...

I get it, you and your family don't need us because you're the definition of warrior and can do it yourself but in this instance there is probably 6 people pretty damn grateful that a man with no connection to them ran towards the sound of automatic gun fire.

Littlelebowski
05-06-10, 18:41

anytime we shoot someone we are second guessed no matter how justified. Oh the bad guy was changing his life, we should have used a taser blah blah blah, a citizen would catch all hell for doing this...

I get it, you and your family don't need us because you're the definition of warrior and can do it yourself but in this instance there is probably 6 people pretty damn grateful that a man with no connection to them ran towards the sound of automatic gun fire.

Kindly take your job and publicity complaints elsewhere. I'm referring to the ability of the LEO to use that weapon in defense of his home but more than likely a private CA citizen would catch hell over it one way or another.

I never see the cops unless I'm hanging out with my friends that are LEOs (going camping and shooting with one next weekend). Spotless record but nice try.

JSantoro
05-06-10, 19:44

On a scale of 1 to 10, your reading comprehension is a -4. It'd be mildly amusing if adult illiteracy weren't so tragic.

Go back and try again.

FMJ556
05-06-10, 19:55
http://cdn1.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/guide_to_firearms_tfb-tfb5.jpg

Or an AR15 + AK47 = AR47 ? The secret Stoner-Kalashnikov collaboration rifle.

graffex
05-06-10, 20:03
http://cdn1.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/guide_to_firearms_tfb-tfb5.jpg

Or an AR15 + AK47 = AR47 ? The secret Stoner-Kalashnikov collaboration rifle.

Haha, so true.

GermanSynergy
05-06-10, 20:37
What the heck is an AR-47? :confused:

nickdrak
05-06-10, 20:45
From who???

A left wing prosecutor can ruin your life, even if you do a good deed. I agree that an ordinary citizen doing the same in CA stands a good chance of going to the slammer. It's not right but it is reality.

On what basis do you have to back this up? Who is going to arrest, charge and convict a guy who stopped/shot/killed a "Bad-guy" who just slaughtered an entire family with an AK47?

funny guy

Buck has a valid question....

The media? Who cares?

Politicians? Who cares, ****'em.

The shithead's family? Yep, they'll probably sue you, but **** them too.

Prosecutors? While there are certainly incidents of citizens rightfully defending themselves or the lives of others and getting a raw deal across the country, in this situation NO prosecutor is going to push for charges to be filed against a citizen who stopped a murderous thug who just wiped out an entire family with an AK47.

Littlelebowski
05-06-10, 20:51
Nick, you haven't heard of the AZ guy who got prosecuted for defending himself with a 10mm? CA has no Castle Doctrine and the state is very, very antigun. It is no leap of imagination to imagine being prosecuted as a CA citizen who used an assault rifle in self defense.

Belmont31R
05-06-10, 20:53
On what basis do you have to back this up? Who is going to arrest, charge and convict a guy who stopped/shot/killed a "Bad-guy" who just slaughtered an entire family with an AK47?

Buck has a valid question....

The media? Who cares?

Politicians? Who cares, ****'em.

The shithead's family? Yep, they'll probably sue you, but **** them too.

Prosecutors? While there are certainly incidents of citizens rightfully defending themselves or the lives of others and getting a raw deal across the country, in this situation NO prosecutor is going to push for charges to be filed against a citizen who stopped a murderous thug who just wiped out an entire family with an AK47.

Here every homicide goes to a grand jury, and they can no bill is the suspect (ruling it justified homicide). Every death by another persons hand is a homicide. Its up to someone to decide if it was justified or not. In TX its up to a grand jury. The cops cant just say good shoot, and tell you to have a nice night.

Also from what I have read the DA in the next county over will keep returning a (justified) homicide case to the grand jury until they get one that accepts the charge to go to trial. In a grand jury you need legal representation to present your side of the case. Imagine the legal bills you could stack up before you even get to trial if you get a DA that pushes a case to a grand jury multiple times, and then finally gets one that goes to trial. You'd be looking at tens of thousands of legal fees in a perfectly justified shooting.

nickdrak
05-06-10, 21:35
Nick, you haven't heard of the AZ guy who got prosecuted for defending himself with a 10mm?

No, I have no knowledge of that case specifically. If it is "Apples to Apples" in comparison to this incident, then I would be interested in it in regards to this discussion.

CA has no Castle Doctrine and the state is very, very antigun. It is no leap of imagination to imagine being prosecuted as a CA citizen who used an assault rifle in self defense.

I know where you are coming from, but unless there is a basis (Apples to Apples) to found this presumption on, then I grow tired of the same-old repeated knee-jerk: "If a citizen did the same thing they would be locked up and the key would be thrown away...." reaction nearly every time a topic like this is posted.

nickdrak
05-06-10, 21:39
Here every homicide goes to a grand jury, and they can no bill is the suspect (ruling it justified homicide). Every death by another persons hand is a homicide. Its up to someone to decide if it was justified or not. In TX its up to a grand jury. The cops cant just say good shoot, and tell you to have a nice night.

I understand how it works. It works the same way here in my neck of the woods.

Belmont31R
05-06-10, 21:41
No, I have no knowledge of that case specifically. If it is "Apples to Apples" in comparison to this incident, then I would be interested in it in regards to this discussion.

I know where you are coming from, but unless there is a basis (Apples to Apples) to found this presumption on, then I grow tired of the same-old repeated knee-jerk: "If a citizen did the same thing they would be locked up and the key would be thrown away...." reaction.

Often times there are different legal channels for an LEO vs. a citizen for the same act. Just as assault on an LEO is different than assault on a citizen.

RUSKI
05-06-10, 23:03
That officer did a stand up job in the face of danger. I am sure those involved are thankful he went towards the gunfire.
Now the repercussions for leo or common citizen defending his own home will always depend on the officers on scene, DAs and local laws. I am thankful I live in a place where defense of your home is not frowned upon.

I want an AR-47, it just sounds Awesome.

Gramps
05-06-10, 23:24
Good on him for having the confidence to do what needed to be done.

I'm leaning to wards an AK-15. :D

shooter521
05-06-10, 23:31

Yeah, not so much. I knew a couple guys who had these; never could get 'em to run worth a damn.

http://www.sr-25.com/New%20AR47.htm

http://www.sr-25.com/AR47Greenlarge.jpg

bkb0000
05-06-10, 23:36
http://www.sr-25.com/AR47Greenlarge.jpg

ABOMINATION!

RUSKI
05-06-10, 23:58
ABOMINATION!

Ain't that the truth.
I was just kidding, but now knowing that thing actually exists I recant my previous statement.

Buck
05-07-10, 01:58
CA has no Castle Doctrine and the state is very, very antigun. It is no leap of imagination to imagine being prosecuted as a CA citizen who used an assault rifle in self defense.

If you see that on a quiz, check false... From the CA penal code...

197 (2) PC Justifiable Homicide

Homicide is also justifiable when committed by any person when committed in defense of habitation, property, or person, against one who manifestly intends or endeavors, by violence or surprise, to commit a felony, or against one who manifestly intends and endeavors, in a violent, riotous or tumultuous manner, to enter the habitation of another for the purpose of offering violence to any person therein;

198.5 PC Presumption in favor of one who uses deadly force against intruder

Any person using force intended or likely to cause death or great bodily injury within his or her residence shall be presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury to self, family, or a member of the household when that force is used against another person, not a member of the family or household, who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and forcibly entered the residence and the person using the force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred.

As used in this section, great bodily injury means a significant or substantial physical injury.

Here is some California case law to back it up…

People v. Owen (1991, Cal App 5th Dist) 226 Cal App 3d 996, 277 Cal Rptr 341, 1991 Cal App LEXIS 19, review denied (1991, Cal) 1991 Cal LEXIS 1283.

People v. Silvey (1997, Cal App 4th Dist) 58 Cal App 4th 1320, 68 Cal Rptr 2d 681, 1997 Cal App LEXIS 894, review denied (1998, Cal) 1998 Cal LEXIS 404.

Buck
05-07-10, 02:10
Often times there are different legal channels for an LEO vs. a citizen for the same act. Just as assault on an LEO is different than assault on a citizen.

I know this is not true in California, and I suspect it is not true anywhere else in the Country…

B

Mac5.56
05-07-10, 02:25
Also from what I have read the DA in the next county over will keep returning a (justified) homicide case to the grand jury until they get one that accepts the charge to go to trial. In a grand jury you need legal representation to present your side of the case. Imagine the legal bills you could stack up before you even get to trial if you get a DA that pushes a case to a grand jury multiple times, and then finally gets one that goes to trial. You'd be looking at tens of thousands of legal fees in a perfectly justified shooting.

I am not justifying the actions of said DA, so for those of us that love to jump down throats, read my entire post first.

I hear what your saying in regards to legal fees. They can be insane, and no reasonable person would/should ever consider willingly taking on the trouble for something that is anything less then a direct threat of physical harm to you or yours.

P.S. That gun is totally an abomination! I second that!!!

But given your statement, and in a climate like the one you describe where the DA keeps going back to a Grand Jury, why would a logical person keep paying legal fees to respond to the multiple Grand Juries? Say you pay $20,000 dollars on three GJ hearings, only to have the third one send you to court, and all the time you know that the DA is going to keep on with it until he gets his day. Why not just go to trial once, and spend all of that money on the best lawyer you can afford?

cobra90gt
05-07-10, 03:15
...an AR15 + AK47 = AR47 ? The secret Stoner-Kalashnikov collaboration rifle...

That's right up there along the lines of double secret probation. :D :p

OTO27
05-07-10, 03:17

I get it, you and your family don't need us because you're the definition of warrior and can do it yourself but in this instance there is probably 6 people pretty damn grateful that a man with no connection to them ran towards the sound of automatic gun fire.I never forget what I was taught in the academy.
Citizens and courts have hours, days, even months to analize a decision you had to make in a millisecond.

Littlelebowski
05-07-10, 06:18
I never forget what I was taught in the academy.
Citizens and courts have hours, days, even months to analize a decision you had to make in a millisecond.

You just elaborated on his reading failure.

QuietShootr
05-07-10, 07:06
You just elaborated on his reading failure.

:D:D:D:D

John_Wayne777
05-07-10, 07:56
Alrighty then...this one has totally Fonzied.

Eeeeyyy!!!