PDA

View Full Version : NYT: Manhattan Bomb Suspect's Gun Proved Easy to Obtain

FMJ556
05-06-10, 10:25
Excerpt:

It is fearsome looking, a carbine hybrid of a pistol and a long gun with a mouthful of a name: the Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/nyregion/06gun.html

bobbo
05-06-10, 12:30
Mr. Shahzad made his choice of gun and produced his Connecticut driver’s license. He left for a two-week waiting period, and returned March 15, putting down about $400 not for a used gun, but for a new rifle, serial number E7L98, according to a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives tracing report.

That's absolutely outrageous. A two week waiting period! Seriously though, do firearm sales in New York require the dealers to perform some kind of extra sensory mind scan before selling a weapon to a U.S. citizen now? Apparently the Times believes they have a responsibility to imply that the dealer was involved in the bomb plot. :rolleyes:

I also like how the Times points out: "has front and rear sights for aiming" now that's really evil!

Mac5.56
05-06-10, 12:54
That's absolutely outrageous. A two week waiting period! Seriously though, do firearm sales in New York require the dealers to perform some kind of extra sensory mind scan before selling a weapon to a U.S. citizen now? Apparently the Times believes they have a responsibility to imply that the dealer was involved in the bomb plot. :rolleyes:

I also like how the Times points out: "has front and rear sights for aiming" now that's really evil!

That article is amazing. New York City residents whether conservative or liberal, I have found, have the most un-educated and out of touch understanding and relationship with firearms. The little five burrough bubble should be an impervious barrier against all things with a trigger. So that said, the article doesn't surprise me at all.

As for the brain scan? Nothing different regarding the purchase of rifles in this state.

So on a side note about NYC, my friend just got a $250 fine because he had his Kershaw knife clipped to his pocket. "Gravity Knives" are now illegal in NYC. The officers were nice enough to let him keep it, but they still gave him the fine.

dbrowne1
05-06-10, 13:26
So on a side note about NYC, my friend just got a $250 fine because he had his Kershaw knife clipped to his pocket. "Gravity Knives" are now illegal in NYC. The officers were nice enough to let him keep it, but they still gave him the fine.

Sounds like they just wanted the charge for their statistics and couldn't give a shit less about the (supposed) public safety aspect of it.

If I didn't have friends and family in the Boston area, I would probably never travel to the northeast. It's truly a cesspool of idiotic and oppressive rules and attitudes, at least until you get to the less populated states like NH and VT.

Treehopr
05-06-10, 13:51
That article is amazing. New York City residents whether conservative or liberal, I have found, have the most un-educated and out of touch understanding and relationship with firearms. The little five burrough bubble should be an impervious barrier against all things with a trigger. So that said, the article doesn't surprise me at all.

As for the brain scan? Nothing different regarding the purchase of rifles in this state.

Not sure what NYC has to do with the gun sale as it was purchased in CT and the waiting period is in accordance with CT law.

Over 10 years ago when I ETS'd from active duty army I went to the Manhattan VA for a follow up visit, IIRC I had a 3 7/8 inch Spyderco folder which I duly placed in the little plastic bowl to pass through the metal detector checkpoint.

At that point I was informed that my pocket knife with a blade greater than 3 inches was illegal on FEDERAL property even though NYC law allows for folders under 4 inches.

I asked the VA cop if I could just reschedule my appointment if he'd give me the knife back and he made a big deal about how he was already doing me a favor by not writing me up for the $500 summons...

He didn't budge and I ended up going to the appt. minus my "illegal" knife despite the fact that 2 months earlier I had control over everything from M9 pistols to M249 SAW's and 60mm mortars.

CarlosDJackal
05-06-10, 14:06
That article is amazing. Most of Americans whether conservative or liberal, I have found, have the most un-educated and out of touch understanding and relationship with firearms...

Fixed it for you. :p

ForTehNguyen
05-06-10, 14:32
“It is fearsome looking, a carbine hybrid of a pistol and a long gun with a mouthful of a name: the Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000.”

“Because the Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 is classified as a rifle, it required no permit, as pistols do in Connecticut. But with its folding stock, hand grip and appetite for pistol ammunition and not rifle ammunition, the Kel-Tec was about as close as one could get to a pistol that is not technically one.”

“It weighs four pounds unloaded, has front and rear sights for aiming and a grip like one on a pistol. The rifle is unusual in that it fires pistol rounds — in this particular gun’s case, 9-millimeter rounds. It fires as quickly as one can pull the trigger; it is not a machine gun. The number of bullets it holds varies with the size of the magazine. Kel-Tec sells it with 10-round magazines.”

“Unlike the Tec-9, it is not frequently used by criminals, the official said. The manufacturer said the long barrel increases accuracy and range. “The superior precision is also very useful against small or partially covered targets at shorter range,” Kel-Tec said on its Web site. “The amount of training to master the SUB 2000 is only a fraction of that required for a handgun.”

:rolleyes:

Zhurdan
05-06-10, 14:40
It is, in effect, a low-powered rifle. Unlike those of some rifles, its bullets probably would not penetrate a police officer’s bullet-resistant vest, a law enforcement official said.

Ohhh my hell! Now I finally understand what a high powered rifle is. All this time, I thought it was just main stream media hype, but now... I know that there really are low powered rifles out there!

Mac5.56
05-06-10, 17:14
Not sure what NYC has to do with the gun sale as it was purchased in CT and the waiting period is in accordance with CT law.

The author of the article is from NYC, thus the language of the article, that was my point.

Mac5.56
05-06-10, 17:14
Fixed it for you. :p

Good point...:)

Caeser25
05-06-10, 17:59
"It was loaded with multiple clips", can you now load three magazines and each one alternates in supplying the next round?

Belmont31R
05-06-10, 18:35
Both parties use any excuse they can to erode our freedoms.

Of course the idea of not importing people for citizenship and visas from terrorist sponsoring nations would never cross their minds. Instead we'll trample on American's rights while we keep the door open for every Saudi, Egyption, African, Iraqi, Pakistani, Iranian, etc national to come here, and welcome them in open arms with grants, free college, and a chance to kill Americans.

MistWolf
05-06-10, 19:02
If that's what passes for reporting these days, the 4th Estate is in a sorry state indeed

Belmont31R
05-06-10, 19:07
If that's what passes for reporting these days, the 4th Estate is in a sorry state indeed

Most of the media is now inbedded either way with one ideology or the other. Meaning most is progressive slanted, and a few are conservative slanted. WSJ, and Fox news for the C's, and most of the rest are just repeating talking points for the progressives in the government.

We don't have ANY independent media anymore. They are all batting for a team, and work a lot closer with politicians than many are aware of.

Dienekes
05-06-10, 20:32
"Fearsome", eh? I had to buy my wife one because she thought it was "cute".

Disclosure: I lived in NY state up to the age of 9 and had an "arsenal" of cap guns. Predictably I came to a bad end. :eek:

GermanSynergy
05-06-10, 20:35
A pistol caliber carbine? The horror!!!! :rolleyes: