PDA

View Full Version : New Class of Scope Invented (This Changes Everything)

ProPilot
05-06-10, 12:17
http://www.physorg.com/news192299313.html

"The MicroSight, a disc smaller than a dime, brings both the target and the iron sight into simultaneous focus..."

"...whereas lenses focus light using refraction — essentially, changing the direction of light waves by changing their speed — zone plates use diffraction."

"The MicroSight gives you much of the performance you'd get out of a holographic or telescopic sight," says INL engineer David Crandall, who developed the technology. "But it's more reliable, much lighter-weight and much cheaper."

"The MicroSight... is tiny — its zone plate is thin and only about a quarter-inch in diameter — and relatively cheap. ...[T]he sight should cost significantly less than red-dot and telescopic sights when Apollo Optical Systems, which licensed the technology, takes it to market."

Incredible!

http://cdn.physorg.com/newman/gfx/news/newinlgunsig.jpg

Irish
05-06-10, 12:26
Interesting. Company website: https://inlportal.inl.gov/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=255&mode=2

ProPilot
05-06-10, 12:28
https://inlportal.inl.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_810_257_0_43/http%3B/exps3.inl.gov%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/communities/inl_gov/newsroom/home_page_feature_stories/stories/new_inl_gunsight_technology_should_improve_accuracy_for_target_shooters__hunters__soldiers_7.jpg

Game over.

ProPilot
05-06-10, 12:33
Full story from Idaho National Labs' website:

https://inlportal.inl.gov/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=1269&mode=2&featurestory=DA_549448

halo2304
05-07-10, 22:22
Very interesting. I'm very curious about the price.

HowardCohodas
05-08-10, 01:46
I've done several projects with Battelle (INL is operated by Battelle) in my career and have always been very impressed by them.

The company that licensed the technology for production also has a good reputation.

Another neat technology to intrigue the early adopters among us. (Definition: Early Adopters - those of us with drawers full of stuff that we bought when they were expensive, before they were perfected and most of which were junk. But oh how sweet when we discover something that exceeds our expectations.)

JHC
05-08-10, 15:05
A fountain of youth! Thanks for posting this.

Jerm
05-09-10, 01:02
So practically speaking what is this going to be used for?

A kickass aperture on a rear BUIS?Rear sight on a handgun?

If so...That's great and all (I'm interested).

But unless I'm missing something(very possible) it'll still have numerous disadvantages to any of the current popular choices in optics.It seems more like a rear sight option...Rather than a replacement for current optics like they seem to be suggesting.

HowardCohodas
05-09-10, 01:26
So practically speaking what is this going to be used for?

A kickass aperture on a rear BUIS?Rear sight on a handgun?

If so...That's great and all (I'm interested).

But unless I'm missing something(very possible) it'll still have numerous disadvantages to any of the current popular choices in optics.It seems more like a rear sight option...Rather than a replacement for current optics like they seem to be suggesting.

Perhaps this transcript (https://inlportal.inl.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_291_60758_0_0_18/MicroSight%20Podcast%20Script_Final.pdf) from a demonstration by the inventor may offer some insight.

Jerm
05-09-10, 01:55
Didn't help.:(

Maybe I just need some sleep.

Bear with me and tell me where I'm going wrong...

We're talking about non-magnified sighting correct(otherwise my mind may indeed be blown)?This isn't going to allow you to focus on your front sight and a magnified target is it?

So I'm assuming...

It would still require a near perfect cheek weld and sight alignment if you're using your front sight?

There would be no illumination short of possibly a tritium front sight?

If I'm correct it would still have some obvious advantages over standard iron sights.I just don't see how it would trump a quality red-dot...Other than maybe price and reliability.

HowardCohodas
05-09-10, 02:26
We're talking about non-magnified sighting correct -- Nope. Magnification is possible. Think of a Fresnel Lens magnifier. Essentially the same technology.

No extra illumination, but great effort to preserve available light.

Jerm
05-09-10, 02:41
We're talking about non-magnified sighting correct -- Nope. Magnification is possible. Think of a Fresnel Lens magnifier. Essentially the same technology.

No extra illumination, but great effort to preserve available light.

Well then...:D

That could be very interesting.

What they're showing now is non-magnified correct?Even it could have some cool applications.

snappy
05-09-10, 08:02
Looks pretty neat. I keep hoping someone will come up with a filter to eliminate the RDS "blossom/firework/cluster of grapes" that those of us with astigmatism see.

Killjoy
05-09-10, 08:50
Interesting technological innovation. It seems like it would appeal only to a small group of shooters who can't use optical systems like Aimpoint, Eotech or scopes, or maybe as a BUIS. But I dislike the article implying that electronic sights or scopes are fragile; I'm sure an Aimpoint or Nightforce can take as much abuse as this small piece of glass!

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-09-10, 13:26
I don't think that it totally replaces a red dot. Even with the three planes (Rear sight, front sight and target) in focus, you still need to get all three aligned. A red dot seems to be projected onto the target, so that you don't need perfect head alignment. A little off from directly behind the gun and the red dot just seems to shift a bit to the POI.

Obviously, you need to have the gun pointed in the right direction to hit a target, but I think the red dot would still give you some advantage in freedom of head placement.

Still might be nice for a handgun, and especially for high power iron-sighted rifle shooters.

boltcatch
05-10-10, 12:31
Looks pretty neat. I keep hoping someone will come up with a filter to eliminate the RDS "blossom/firework/cluster of grapes" that those of us with astigmatism see.

Try looking through the small aperature on your rear BUIS. ;)

This looks really interesting... I'd be interested to see how much speed and accuracy you'd gain with irons, with a device like this.

snappy
05-10-10, 13:10
Try looking through the small aperature on your rear BUIS. ;)

I do this and it helps some, depending on the brightness/setting required for conditions.

johnbiltz
05-11-10, 18:00
2 words: old eyes
Personally I'm having trouble just focusing on a front sight post anymore and on a short barrel I can't. Its like holding a newspaper farther out to read it and running out of arm length.

Didn't help.:(

Maybe I just need some sleep.

Bear with me and tell me where I'm going wrong...

We're talking about non-magnified sighting correct(otherwise my mind may indeed be blown)?This isn't going to allow you to focus on your front sight and a magnified target is it?

So I'm assuming...

It would still require a near perfect cheek weld and sight alignment if you're using your front sight?

There would be no illumination short of possibly a tritium front sight?

If I'm correct it would still have some obvious advantages over standard iron sights.I just don't see how it would trump a quality red-dot...Other than maybe price and reliability.

SHIVAN
05-11-10, 19:58
That's very interesting for precision irons shooting, but is it really shooting with irons? :confused:

Bronco
05-18-10, 13:12
That's very interesting for precision irons shooting, but is it really shooting with irons? :confused:

This is kind of a neat idea. If I'm not mistaken, it essentially builds on the physics that brought us the old Merit Optical Attachment. The target shooters among us will remember that as the little adjustable aperture devise with the suction cup that you would stick right onto your shooting glasses. Using these 'plates' to align the incoming lightwaves mimics the effect of the Merit's reduced aperture bringing the rear sight, front sight and target all into simultaneous focus - with the obvious advantage that this device also merges the optical attachment and the rear sight into one unit while still allowing for increased light transmission and a decent sized sight picture. Parallax will still be an issue and, I don't see them discussing magnification except in fairly vague terms, but an interesting development nonetheless.