PDA

View Full Version : Please criticize

wallace11bravo
05-06-10, 14:10
For those of you who are CQB nuts, but do like to shoot long range on occasion(such as myself).

What is the maximum range you like to shoot?

The reason for asking is that I am building a training facility and I have the opportunity to purchase a peice of land that would accomodate a 1000 meter range. The original plan was only 800 meters. It would be more expensive in purchase and construction, but would it be worth it?

Personnally, I only shoot out to 800 meters, and that is the very upper limit of my range.

If you would like to see the facility design, just PM me.

DTHN2LGS
05-06-10, 16:16
I vote for the 1,000 meter distance. It would be a marketing plus over the the 800 meter range. It justs sounds better because everyone imagines they can make a 1,000 yard shot, it's an American ideal distance to demonstrate their prowess. Marketing is mostly "Image" and the longer range has that in spades.

Dirk Williams
05-11-10, 15:23
Have to agree with the last post 1000 is where it's at, build once , get it done. I don't think most folks really understand how far 1000 is, or the requirements to hit consistantly at that distance.

In my minds eye I envision anything but a square range as the best. I would also like to see you teaching angled shooting cross canyon shooting and other skills accociated with shooting..

I discovered"For me" that on my square ranges there becomes a point when the act of shooting the same thing or site repetativley is mechanical. Ive learned the game and the angles after one day there.

My training sessions out in the back woods are far more practical and by far more productive in skills aquired from unknown tangable situations, which make for realistic training.

Ive had some shitty sessions where nothing went right, Interestingly those sessions were where I seem to learned the most about me, my rifle, ammo, wind, shadow, stalking and shooting distance.It makes me be a thinker and a shooter not just a shooter.

Im off track here but want to wish you the best of luck in your school. Is it ok to ask where your setting up shop.

Respectfully D Williams

TehLlama
05-11-10, 23:41
One click is marketable, even if it's very seldom used.

If access to capital isn't a limitation, or if those funds take away the ability to provide other more tangible services, there's an argument against it, but if you can, go for it!

wallace11bravo
05-12-10, 02:22
3 votes for 1000, sounds like a plan.

Dirk,
You gave me a good idea! Although it wouldnt be right away, I would plan on building a 2 story shooting tower over the firing line for angled shots.

The facility will be near a central Nebraska town called Arnold. I am currently overseas and trying to purchase the land through a POA, so it is a huge pain in the ass.

Thanks for all the feedback and food for thought!

Dirk Williams
05-12-10, 12:06
Good luck to you on your project. Id love to be involved in something like that. Seems to me that courses should run from mild to wild.

Im actually assisting the local sheriffs office in putting together a basic sniper school this summer here in Klamath Falls Oregon.

Actually my part is very small im simply connecting the instructors with the agency's and working with another agency in CA to cover the POST plans for state rembursement if your a Calif shooter.

The local air base is going to lodge the students for free." I think" and I/We plan on putting on a huge BBQ for finals and graduation with donations from the local business's.

The Tri Tip Shootout!

I like your shoot house idea,

I like the idea of a steep mountain about 1/2 way up or down with no cover and shitty angles that are painful to shoot from, and shitty swirling wind from multi directions even better.

Keep your head down over there.
D Williams