PDA

View Full Version : Vertx Tact Pants?

CyberM4
05-06-10, 18:32
Before I place my order for a pair of their tact pants that US Calvary has for sale. Is there any other place I should look at? For a better price.

panzerr
05-07-10, 10:39
be advised: not only do they run small, but they shrink significantly

Jay Cunningham
05-07-10, 10:49
For what I paid for them, they are damn nice pants.

Cut back on the beer and french fries and you'll fit in them just fine.

panzerr
05-07-10, 10:51
For what I paid for them, they are damn nice pants.

Cut back on the beer and french fries and you'll fit in them just fine.

No need to do that here. With a waste size of 32 I had to order 35 to fit comfortably, which they did until they were washed (on cold) and dried a few times. Garbage pants.

militarymoron
05-07-10, 11:48
that's puzzling, panzerr. sorry to hear about your experience. you must have more muscle in the glutes and quads that i have.
my waist is 32-33 and i'm wearing size 32 vertx pants comfortably, even after washing in warm water (i have 3 pairs which i've had for over a year). they're snugger than other pants (which usually have larger waists than marked), but still one of my favourite pants right now. i don't like pants that are overly baggy. i'm pretty much a 'medium' build.

cptx123
05-07-10, 11:52
Mine fit great and did not shrink, but they rip easily- my side pocket caught on a table and ripped. I would not pay more than 30.00 for a pair.

panzerr
05-07-10, 11:56
MM- That would make sense. My ass is probably on the larger side for my build because I have trained in Karate for years.

Garbage was a harsh statement on my part. I tried six pair of vertx pants before I found a size that worked and the damn thing shrank so much they weren't comfortable.

Magsz
05-07-10, 12:03
Anyone else having issues with the crotch/inseam on these pants?

They seem to sit unusually low for me.

I am oddly sized but i havent had any issues with other tactical pants like this.

rob_s
05-07-10, 12:09
I wonder if they are having QC issues as they grow as a company?

I have two pairs, ordered them the same size as my jeans, and while slightly tighter than my jeans they fit exactly as I want them to, and with the elastic waist work perfectly with/without IWB holstered G19.

I would estimate that both pairs have been washed approximately 6-10 times.

David Thomas
05-07-10, 12:19
I ordered a pair of pants when they first went on sale for 50% off direct from Vertx.

Other than being about an inch longer than my other pants they fit true to size. I did not experience any shrinkage with my pants.

They are completely different than 5.11 pants in the way they wear. With 5.11 the knees and thighs feel a little tight when squating or kneeling or if I put anything in the pockets. The Vertx pants have ample room in the knees and thighs and in the seat. The front pockets are large enough that a 1911 will fit in them... The rear pockets are normal. With 5.11's it seems like my wallet is behind my knee when I put it in the rear pocket.
Also, with 5.11's I constantly have to pull them up as the tend to migrate south when I move. Not so with Vertx pants.

I have only tried VertX and 3 versions of 5.11's (regular, rip stop, and the lightweight). I have not tried the rail riders, EoTach, or TAD gear or many of the other pants that would fall into the same catagory as the Vertx or 5.11.

However, between Vertx and 5.11, the Vertx is 10 times better fit for me.

Magsz
05-07-10, 13:12
No matter how high i wear my vertx pants it always looks like i have a steaming load in the seat of my pants, its kind of annoying.

Ive also noticed that my usual 32 inch inseam on these pants seems a bit longer than normal.

Im not knocking the pants, i think they're very well constructed and the overall design of them is sound i just wonder if perhaps i got a lemon or i truly am an amorphous blob?

CyberM4
05-07-10, 13:14
Would Eotac be a better fit?

Magsz
05-07-10, 13:22
Possibly.

The only problem is that i never, EVER order pants online and as far as i know there are no local Eotac dealers in my area. I havent checked the dealer locator lately but the last time i checked no one in south Florida was stocking their goodies.

rob_s
05-07-10, 13:23
No matter how high i wear my vertx pants it always looks like i have a steaming load in the seat of my pants, its kind of annoying.

Odd, I find the exact opposite. It's the Eotac and Woolrich pants that make me feel like I'm wearing 7-day shitters or MC Hammer pants.

Jay Cunningham
05-07-10, 13:24
Agree about the Eotach LW pants and the M.C. Hammer thing.

rudy99
05-07-10, 13:25
I normally wear a 33 waist in dress pants and jeans. The 34 waist Vertx seemed to fit well for me. Just got them, so I haven't worn them after going through the wash.

The store I got them at mainly catered to police, fire, etc. I think a lady who was a rep for Vertx was there talking to two plain clothes officers about ordering some of the Vertx pants (the store had a limited selection). She said the pants have so much flexibility that you could do a roundhouse kick with them on. The two cops just looked at each other and made a comment about how frequently that would be happening.

rob_s
05-07-10, 13:26
Possibly.

The only problem is that i never, EVER order pants online and as far as i know there are no local Eotac dealers in my area. I havent checked the dealer locator lately but the last time i checked no one in south Florida was stocking their goodies.

One of our club members is a dealer.

Jay Cunningham
05-07-10, 13:26
I normally wear a 33 waist in dress pants and jeans. The 34 waist Vertx seemed to fit well for me. Just got them, so I haven't worn them after going through the wash.

The store I got them at mainly catered to police, fire, etc. I think a lady who was a rep for Vertx was there talking to two plain clothes officers about ordering some of the Vertx pants (the store had a limited selection). She said the pants have so much flexibility that you could do a roundhouse kick with them on. The two cops just looked at each other and made a comment about how frequently that would be happening.

Go check out the "which martial art integrates best with a firearm" thread. :p

JSantoro
05-07-10, 14:16
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/3627/rkd.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
05-07-10, 15:33
"Bow to your sensei!" :D

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/3627/rkd.jpg

SCBradley
05-07-10, 16:42
Anyone else having issues with the crotch/inseam on these pants?

They seem to sit unusually low for me.

I had the opposite problem. I tried 34's first as that is what I wear in everything else; usually with room for IWB. If I pulled them to my natural waist they constricted my junk and I had to fight to get my wallet in and out of the back pocket.

I traded them for 36's and they fit perfect after a few washes.

ST911
05-07-10, 17:30
be advised: not only do they run small, but they shrink significantly

No need to do that here. With a waste size of 32 I had to order 35 to fit comfortably, which they did until they were washed (on cold) and dried a few times. Garbage pants.

I've worn a 36 in Eotacs, Woolrich, and 5.11. My Vertx are the same. The Vertx waist is a little more snug, but still good.

Note, I never put my pants (or most of my knits) in a dryer, and always hang-dry them. That can make a big difference.

However, between Vertx and 5.11, the Vertx is 10 times better fit for me.

Overall fit for me is truly outstanding. Best fit in a "tactical" pant I've found yet. Superior build quality to the 5.11 too.

Obs 5.11: With high quality pants like the Vertx and Eotacs available, 5.11 isn't even a thought for me anymore.

Would Eotac be a better fit?

The Eotac is a different fit than others. Whether or not it's better depends on you. I didn't like their first fit type at all but lived with it for the benefits of other attributes they had. The revised fit is better for me.

ROSS4712
05-07-10, 17:35

Ditto

I wear 32/32 in 5.11 and in Woolrich

I had to get a 35/32 to fit and their 32 was like a 34 or 36 in length so now I have to get them taken up.

Turnkey11
05-20-10, 05:15
All my other pants are 34/32 (even though my last tape test I had a 37" waist.:D), I just placed an order for a navy pair of vertx pants to test the waters. Hopefully the bottomside fits in them.

jtb0311
05-20-10, 17:05

I wouldn't go so far as to call them garbage, but the VERTX 36 is tight as hell. No way I could fit IWB. Good pants, but disappointed with sizing.

Turnkey11
05-26-10, 15:09
Got mine in yesterday, tried them on before the wash in case the size was off but the fit was on the spot. Like others have said they arent overly baggy like Woolrich Elite pants, but movement doesnt seem restricted at all, you dont even feel the knees tighten up when running up stairs or squating. Im going to wear them to work tomorrow to see i I like them enough to buy a few more pairs, just need a cheaper vendor than Galls. So far they seem like really good pants.

CaptainDooley
06-01-10, 21:04
Couple of Q's:

1. How do you guys think these will wear in hot weather? I really don't like shorts, but I normally wear jeans in the Texas summer because I can't find khaki's I don't blow the crotch out of...

2. I've seen the posts on sizing, but want to confirm something if I were to order a pair... I normally wear a 38 when I'm not carrying and a 40 when I do (IWB). In your opinion(s) - should I still order the 40s or will I likely need 42s in the Vertxs?

ST911
06-02-10, 01:39
Couple of Q's:

1. How do you guys think these will wear in hot weather? I really don't like shorts, but I normally wear jeans in the Texas summer because I can't find khaki's I don't blow the crotch out of...

I'm wearing Vertx almost exclusively now. Temps are coming up and they're staying very comfortable. They are a comparatively lighter weight overall than competitors, and breathe well.

2. I've seen the posts on sizing, but want to confirm something if I were to order a pair... I normally wear a 38 when I'm not carrying and a 40 when I do (IWB). In your opinion(s) - should I still order the 40s or will I likely need 42s in the Vertxs?

Most folks carrying IWB recommend going a size up. Variable to consider: Are you on the small or larger end of your size? That may make a difference as well.

vaspence
06-02-10, 09:03
I wear the 38s and have no issues. I may be closer to a 37, mine were snug but IWB is no problem and I carry every day. I ordered a set of 40s just to try, but returned them as they were way too large. I'd order a pair of each and return the ones that don't fit.

Use in heat has been fine here in central Va so far this year (80s). I was in the woods all morning last Saturday doing SAR training with ropes and a Stokes and didn't overheat. I've been wearing 6 pairs of these pants since January with lots of washes and they still look great. Have totally replaced my Carhartts, Rail Riders, MKs, etc. Still like the Tad Spartans but they are second to the Vertx. I like the ability to carry a TQ, Primed or Combat Gauze, gloves and face shield in the cargo pockets without really noticing they are there. The inside pockets of the cargo pockets hold all but the gloves securely. If they would add the two front pockets like the Spartans I'd never wear anything else.

JSantoro
06-02-10, 09:28
The cargo pockets on these things: are they a true thigh pocket?

Or are they the usual setup, in which anything of moderate weight placed inside the pocket is garuan-damn-teed to slam into one's medial-colateral ligament when you have to run? You know, a "we-don't-know-the-difference-between-a-knee-and-a-thigh" thigh pocket, or a "we-don't-understand-that-the-thigh-is-ABOVE-the-knee" thigh pocket?

militarymoron
06-02-10, 10:32
jim, i'm wearing my vertx pants at work today, coincidentally :)
on me, the bottom of the cargo pocket ends right above my knee cap. also, the internal pocket really helps a smaller-midsize item from ending up at the rear bottom corner of the pocket, where the most flopping/banging occurs. the fact that it's a flat, low profile pocket instead of a bellows pocket helps minimize floppage, as it keeps the contents closer to the leg. from my limited experience, it's probably the least annoying of all the cargo pants pockets i've tried.

and...correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the MCL on the inside of the knee? the lateral collatoral ligaments are the ones on the outside.

ST911
06-02-10, 12:43
jim, i'm wearing my vertx pants at work today, coincidentally :)
on me, the bottom of the cargo pocket ends right above my knee cap. also, the internal pocket really helps a smaller-midsize item from ending up at the rear bottom corner of the pocket, where the most flopping/banging occurs. the fact that it's a flat, low profile pocket instead of a bellows pocket helps minimize floppage, as it keeps the contents closer to the leg. from my limited experience, it's probably the least annoying of all the cargo pants pockets i've tried.

Same observations for mine.

I carry a flashlight, speed strip, cell phone, keys, and folder between the two leg pockets. Occasionally, an AR mag. They stay stable in high activity.

and...correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the MCL on the inside of the knee? the lateral collatoral ligaments are the ones on the outside.

I suppose you could hit your MCL with overloaded pockets if they were really overloaded. :D

http://www.arthroscopy.com/nucleus/Knee4.jpg

JSantoro
06-02-10, 13:51
Let's just all agree that everybody in the world is lucky I'm not an orthopedic surgeon. :p

Iraq Ninja
06-02-10, 14:03
Couple of Q's:

1. How do you guys think these will wear in hot weather?

I wear them over here on the FOBs when not working, and it is hot as hell right now. No issues at all with the pants and the heat. But, this is a dry heat.

I wear a 36 and bought the 38s. Perfect fit after washing.

I noticed on leave that the water quality or soap made them feel softer after the wife washed them. Not sure how KBR washes our stuff, but it ain't the best.

sadmin
06-02-10, 14:07
I have a couple pair and wore them to during some land clearing at our ranch. It was only 93 that day, far from what Iraq Ninja is in, but they were very comfortable even near a fire. I will never wear blue jeans outside "playing" again. Great investment imo.

markm
06-02-10, 14:17
We need a CHART to sort out which pants are in style at any given time. People need to know how to avoid showing up to a class in last season's attire.

5.11s are out right? Long gone! (someone needs to tell those poser cops to quit wearing them. :p)

Force 10's? I think those are out too. Too fancy/Too boutique for hardcore internut commandouches?

Carharts? Undercover cool?

I'm not familiar with the other brands really..... ;) There needs to be a chart.... and don't just post it in the MOD's forum!!!

RogerinTPA
06-02-10, 14:44
I have two pair that I wore for three days during the VTac 1.5 Pistol here in Lakeland back in May. Temp Avg 94F, pretty humid, with an occasional light breeze. They were very comfortable, functional pockets, and lots of ballroom. I never felt hot in them.

militarymoron
06-02-10, 15:11
Let's just all agree that everybody in the world is lucky I'm not an orthopedic surgeon. :p
...and the ONLY reason i have a clue where the MCL is, is because i strained mine years ago skiing. you quickly learn the names of body parts that you f*** up.

markm
06-02-10, 15:13
lots of ballroom

This just had to be quoted.

Boss Hogg
06-02-10, 16:08
Vertx should consider a "Lite" cotton/poly version of these pants. My 5.11 Taclites- or whatever they're called- feel like PJs after a few washes.

Vertx shrink, but not nearly as much as the original Woolrich Elites in my experience.

ST911
06-02-10, 16:32
Vertx should consider a "Lite" cotton/poly version of these pants. My 5.11 Taclites- or whatever they're called- feel like PJs after a few washes. Vertx shrink, but not nearly as much as the original Woolrich Elites in my experience.

I'm not opposed to a LW offering, but I've found that there's a point of diminishing return in going light, function and durability wise, especially when you load the pockets with gear.

CyberM4
06-03-10, 13:15
Who has the best prices on Vertx that you guys have found?

jtb0311
06-04-10, 00:41
I got mine when they were having the 50% Facebook thing a few months ago, so I think they were about $30 a pair.

rudy99
06-04-10, 09:15
Who has the best prices on Vertx that you guys have found?

The pants seem to be about $50 everywhere I've looked in the past. You pretty much have to wait for a promo from Vertx or something. When I purchased mine they had a deal where you got a rebate ($20 or so) if you purchased $100 worth of stuff from them. That is over now. Kind of like "who has the best deal on an ipod" (i.e. they are the same price just about everywhere). I'd buy mail order out of state (no sales tax) and find someone with free shipping. That will be your best price.

CyberM4
06-04-10, 09:52
Tactical pants .com has free shipping. I'll most likely buy from them. Unless someone has a sale when I order within the next couple of weeks or less. I'm going too but 1 Vertx and 1 Eotac.

CaptainDooley
06-04-10, 10:12
Thanks for the heads up - I was hadn't found anyone with free shipping yet...

VMI-MO
06-04-10, 17:54
Does anyone have any experience ordering straight from Vertx? What are their turn around times like?

Thanks
PJ

CyberM4
06-04-10, 21:49
since I'm buying a Vertx and Eotac. Is there any other too look at that is $20-$30 more per pair. That I may consider.

ST911
06-04-10, 22:31
Does anyone have any experience ordering straight from Vertx? What are their turn around times like?
Thanks
PJ

Easy ordering, good comms, fast shipping. GTG

Argus
06-04-10, 22:46

Thanks
PJ

They shipped pretty fast. I think I had the pants within a week of ordering. The shipping confirmation/tracking number was a little late; I think it showed up the day before the pants did. No big deal. Ordering direct from Vertx is good to go. If you are on Facebook, sign up on their page; they periodically have Facebook fan promotions.

rob_s
04-05-11, 07:43
Anyone know if Vertx has settled down on the sizing issue? I have two pairs from the 50% off days and they do not fit the same as each other. Combine that with an increasing waist size and I'm unsure on what size to order. I'm sure most places will exchange them without issue but I don't want the hassle.

Mak8080
04-05-11, 08:59
I've had multiple pairs from them as well and they don't fit the same. Granted they were bought months apart, they all have been washed a bunch of times and still fit differently. From my experience, I always order a size up and would consider two just in case.

Moose-Knuckle
04-05-11, 14:47
I recently ordered two more. A 34"x32". I normally wear 33" waist but got the extra inch for AIWB CCW. I got my better half a pair and the womens sizes are true to size for the most part. She loves them.

rob_s
04-05-11, 14:57
I've had multiple pairs from them as well and they don't fit the same. Granted they were bought months apart, they all have been washed a bunch of times and still fit differently. From my experience, I always order a size up and would consider two just in case.

That is my problem too. I have two pairs and neither fits the same even though they are both the same size.

DJK
04-05-11, 17:01
That is my problem too. I have two pairs and neither fits the same even though they are both the same size.

Me too!! Two pairs that fit differently plus one comes out of the wash and doesn't need ironing. The other needs serious ironing, not just touch up to make them look decent. I'm going to really miss my Eotacs when they are gone. :(

Kuro Ookami
05-12-11, 05:10
My shrinking waistline rendered them useless for draws. The entire holster comes up now. :(

Randull
05-12-11, 11:03
I bought one pair a few weeks back and I must say not only am I shocked at there shipping, $10 to ship one pair of pants that took two weeks (I work for an online clothing retailer so I know that that is an insane ship/process time), but it seems like the pockets sit incredibly deep on them. every time I go for my chap stick or gum it looks like im trying to fondle myself!

I am having serious doubts about buying another pair especially considering what I am hearing from everyone here!

rob_s
05-12-11, 11:20
Perhaps despite my better judgement I decided to order a pair of the shorts to see how they fit. In the pictures I'm unsure of how thelength is going to play out and just hope I don't wind up with something resembling UDTs.

cptx123
05-12-11, 11:27
I got two pair of shorts during the last sale, they are almost to short for me to wear. On a side note I got one their soft shells on sale and it is quite nice for the 100.00 I paid for it.

5 Rings Tac
05-12-11, 11:29
I usually wear size 30 jeans but wear size 32 in Vertx pants. I also never put mine in the dryer. Always wash cold and hang dry. There does not appear to have been any shrinking. I wear the dark blue color for work and they start to fade and look terrible rather quickly. I also keep a folding knife in the left pocket and it ate a hole in those pants... granted I was wearing them A LOT at that time.

Overall for me they have been a pretty decent pair of pants. I've never had the MC Hammer pant problem and the crotch doesn't sag too low inhibiting movement. I had some 5.11 TDU pants and for some reason I had this problem.

Watrdawg
05-12-11, 11:39
I bought 2 pairs of the pants, both same sizes, but different colors. They both fit the same and were true to size for me. I've washed them both multiple times and no shrinkage to speak of really.

rob_s
05-20-11, 08:13
I went ahead and ordered a pair of the Vertx shortpants from LA Police Gear. I did this with much trepidation because:

The two pairs of britches I have both fit differently in the waist, despite saying on the tag that they are the same.
The two pairs of britches I Have both are of a different length, despite saying on the tag that they are the same.
The stated 10" inseam of the Vertx shortpantss is shorter than I typically wear.
The material of the britches is thicker/hotter than I'd like, and the shortpants are the same material.

I was willing to risk it because:

If the damn britches fit the same I would really like the layout and the cut.
Vertx is supposed to be coming out with lightweight britches soon which would allow me to have shortpants, summer britches, and winter britches all with the same pocket layout.
I wanted to see if the sizing was stabilized.
I'm an idiot and a glutton for punishment.

I also went ahead and ordered a pair of the shortpants in a 35" waist when I typically wear a 34" in jeans and khakis. Most of my jeans and khakis still have room for my IWB holster(s).

They came yesterday, and I wore them last night and this morning, and so far I'm pretty happy. I suspect that after some washings I'm going to wind up needing the 36" to carry IWB, but that's a simple lesson learned and if this pair still fits but without the gun I can always relegate them to pocket carry. I haven't tried carrying with them yet but when I go out later today I will.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

rob_s
07-06-11, 09:12
Is LApolicegear.com the best source? $50 for britches and $45 for short pants?

Tzoid
07-06-11, 14:07
I really like the VertX pants but Rob is dead nuts on with his statement about them not being consistent in length or waist fit.

I bought 2 pairs from LA Police gear in two different colors and one was perfect and the other too tight.

The minimal amount of elastic in the waistband makes the inconsistency in size a problem so buyer beware and error to the larger size.

Also.... I noticed that the two pairs of pants had different labeling and tags so maybe LA. Police Gear has " Old Stock" in some colors and that may explain the inconsistency in Fit.

Dave L.
07-07-11, 00:52
Hmm, I just ordered two more pairs after liking my first. Everything was cool with the first pair but then again, I bought it direct from them for the Pro Deal.
I'm hoping they come up with a rip-stop hot weather design. Besides the cut, the slight amount of stretch in them keeps me from ripping the crotch out.
I'll post more regarding QC when I get them in hand.