PDA

View Full Version : Build help and suggestions!!!

Steve S.
05-07-10, 04:08
This is my first post (i believe its my first, not sure) but i have been following this site for several weeks now. I am working on building my first AR, and I was gonna run my plans by you guys. I'm sure you all are so sick of hearing this question since i'm sure it pops up here often. And yes I have spent probably 100 hours researching every little thing, but Daniel Defense and Yankee Hill are hard to find info on. Please let me know any tips or suggestions. I do need the rifle completed pretty soon, so i'm kind of following the market a bit when making choices.

The gun will serve as my go-to gun for home defense, while doubling as a range gun. I would eventually like to get into 3-Gun competition, since i'm already proficient with handguns. I have fired AR's and recently purchased the Smith and Wesson 15-22 on the cheap to take my fiance shooting with (she's about 5'2'' tall and 110 lbs., so that and her little Bersa .380 are perfect for her).

BUT TO THE BUILD!!!

Already have the following parts, or they are in the mail on their way. I got them all at a great price.

Stag stripped lower receiver
CMT lower parts kit
CMT milspec buffer tube assembly
Magpul 30rnd. Pmag

For the upper, I have these parts picked out and have just got to click the "checkout" buttons at both cheaperthandirt.com and midwayusa.com.

Yankee Hill upper w/ dust cover and forward assist
Daniel Defense 16" barrel 1/7 chrome lined, stripped
Yankee Hill gas block with picatinny rail
DPMS gas tube
DPMS charging handle
DPMS delta ring
Magpul MOE handgaurd
And either a Daniel Defense bolt carrier assembly OR a BCG bolt carrier assembly (suggestions?)

I will use the removable sights from the 15-22 until my local shop gets Troy flips in stock (got a coupon) and will use my 15-22 buttstock until I can get a Magpul MOE in dark earth (unless someone wants to give me their spare collapsable buttstock;) ) I am also going to order the armorers tool for the barrel and stock and the upper reciever insert by DPMS to vice and support it during the barrel install.

My biggest concerns are
1. Is the Daniel Defense barrel an accurate one? I read some horror stories from a few years back
2. Is the bolt carrier assembly worth the extra $25 (plus a third person to pay shipping to) for the Bravo Company instead of the Daniel Defense?
3. How is the YHM upper receiver? For $99 it seemed like a deal. I wanted something with m4 feedramps to match the DD barrel. I know this is rather unimportant, but will the finish match the Stag lower? Will it go well with the DD barrel?

Sorry about the long post and any suggestions to my set up would be great. I would like to place the order by monday at the latest, so any input is much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Steve S.
05-07-10, 04:18
I would also like to point out that I intentionally avoided CMMG. My friend has a CMMG he built from the ground up and it is an AMAZING gun, but from what I have read, there is some QC issues with CMMG. Being that I am not sure of what would be out of spec, I don't really want to take that risk. It is also nearly impossible to find a stripped CMMG barrel. I am not a big fan of the A2 front sight because I plan to get an EOtech eventually. I have shot the EO with both fixed and flip fronts, and I like the clean sight plain much better.

This is in no way a dig at CMMG. I have shot several of their rifles and have been nothing but impressed. To be honest, If i could find a stripped barrel around the $170 price point of the DD barrel, I would strongly consider it. Once again, thanks and I look forward tothe input!! You are a stand up guy if you read the long post I made, but I'm going to bed and moving this weekend, so I may not be available to answer questions. Tried to get most the info out there.

My only criteria is that the barrel be a 1/7 twist to run mean defense ammo and it be chrome lined so it will last a long time. I really would want it stripped so I can put front flipup sights without spending unneeded money. The criteria for the upper receiver is a low price point, m4 feed ramps, and if it matched the Stag that would be great. I also want to build the upper, even if its a little more money, because it seems like a great experience.

Steve S.
05-10-10, 10:41
Thanks for all the input, guys......

BrigandTwoFour
05-10-10, 11:55
Replies don't happen that quickly on this board, so you need to have some patience.

I am by no means an expert but, like you, I have spent countless hours on here and other places planning my build (in progress...almost there).

That said, here's what I'm thinking:

I believe CMT and Stag are the same company. CMT was the manufacturing arm, and Stag was the commercial arm, so your parts are likely to match between those two companies. I can't really comment on the LPK that you've already purchased, but it should work fine.

Yankee Hill doesn't have the greatest reputation around here. It's not that their stuff is junk, it's just not very well appreciated among the "fit and finish" crowd. Their forearms, for example, tend to be heavy and rough, with rails that are occasionally out of spec. As far as the upper goes, though, it's pretty hard to screw up for a go-to rifle.

Daniel Defense is well-liked. You should be more than taken care of with that.

As far as the BCG goes, both DD and BCM are considered good to go.

Steve S.
05-10-10, 12:02
My man. I really appreciate the info. I just have checked back a couple times and noticed similiar threads like mine posted around the same time have plenty of replies, whereas I just have a bunch of views. Thought I'd call some people out a bit ;). haha.

Yea the upper kind of has me on edge, cause I haven't heard too great of things from YHM. My problem was finding an upper with m4 feedramps at a halfway decent price. Cheaperthandirt has the upper for $99, so it's kind of hard to beat. I have a lot of experience with handguns, but zero with building AR's (outside of a basic field strip and reassembly), but I know how bad things get once things are out of spec.

Once again, thanks for the reply, and I'll keep searching for more info on the stripped YHM upper. I would like to place the order in the next few days, so anybody feel free to chime in. Thanks guys.

BrigandTwoFour
05-10-10, 12:03
Also, just to ask....

Are you planning to continue building/collecting ARs? If not, then it might be more worth your while to check out G&R or something similar to do the upper assembly. Grant has some great prices on uppers that would serve you well and seem to be in your price range.

If you've never done it before, your go-to rifle might not be the one you want to experiment with.

Steve S.
05-10-10, 12:42
Oh yea, I definately got the itch now! I'm only 24 so I got many years to look forward to buying and building ridiculous firearms. Its actually costing me a bit more to build than just buy a functional upper, but I think I will end up with a better product and some handy tools at the end of it all.

In the event the rifle does need some tweaking before serving next to my bed, I own 4 handguns (Beretta 96fs, S&W .38sp , Ruger p90 .45acp, and Bersa .380) that are all loaded with Hornady Critical Defense to hold me down while I tinker. I also am a member at an indoor 25 yard range, and a gunclub that is outdoor 200yards/ indoor 20 yards. I like to shoot at least once a week, so buying and building firearms is a real hobby for me, not just an expensive habit. Next time I'm thinkin about buildin a milspec 1911a1 from used parts. The build is the fun part.

Thanks man. If you hear anything about the YHM upper, let me know.

Col_Crocs
05-10-10, 19:45
DD has very good quality control, not to mention good customer service. Their barrels and BCG's are good to go. You might want to consider the newer HF ones since theyre on offer anyway. Look into BCM as well. Top notch barrels, BCGs and parts. Cant go wrong with either though.
There are more reliable brands out there than YHM and DPMS. Im sure many here have had issue-free-parts from them but many here have also had several issues. Personally, Ive had issues with both. First was a FF rail from YHM that just would not line up and second, a full LPK from DPMS that had manufacturing imperfections on the disconnector and selector.
That said, BCM's cerro forge upper is quite reasonably priced and should be a significantly safer option than YHM.
I dont know who makes DPMS's gas tubes, CH, and delta rings but all these items are also offered by BCM. They currently have the best CH in the market.
As mentioned by BrigandTwoFour, you may be better off with a pre-assembled upper.

Warg
05-10-10, 22:35
I suspect the reason you're not receiving a lot of replies is due to the high standards and level of expectations among many of the forum members here. You stated that you've a 100 hours of research invested in "every little thing", but from your post it's pretty evident that you didn't read the Knowledge base threads under AR General Discussion - here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355). That is the best place to start. I could rehash a small portion of that information, but nowhere nearly as eloquently as the resident experts have.

I'd recommend spending a few more hours or research reading the first few threads and a few more pertaining to the specific information you’re looking for you should be GTG.

Remark - often the search function does not work properly when looking for multiple strings/ words. Use Google to search within M4C, e.g., “BCM bolt site: m4carbine.net” without the quotes.

Steve S.
05-25-10, 20:43
Well the build went well. Didn't listen and build everything from scratch, and it is extremely easy. Really, anyone could build an AR, upper and lower. I ended up switching out some parts, more due to backorders and availability.

Barrel, Bolt Carrier Group, and Lower Parts Kit was all Daniel Defense. I got the DPMS Heavy buffer and standard spring, Magpul pmags, Magpul MOE stock and MOE pistol grip. 4 rail free float by UTG (which has suprisingly great quality considering the price), Yankee Hill flip up front gas block/sight, Midwest rear flip up sight, Olympic Gas tube, DPMS charging handle, Delaware Machine & Tool stripped lower receiver, and Yankee Hill Stripped Upper Receiver.

The stripped upper and lower fit really tight. I had to use a rubber mallet and pin punches to get the takedown pins to push and receivers to mate. But this is very similar to Rock River Arms lowers from what I have read. Since firing, the punches are no longer needed.

I have only ran 20 rounds through tonight to function test and zero in the flipup sights, but there were zero malfunctions. Gun shot great and I will put another 100 rounds through tomorrow and probably post pictures if I get a chance.

The bottom line, If anyone is considering building an AR, don't let people dissuade you from building the Upper also. Make sure you get an M16 armorers wrench and the upper receiver vice block, and just make sure to research everything. I got to make my rifle custom to my liking without overpaying for parts to sit in a box and got the joy of building something from scratch. I've read a lot of AR forums, and sometimes I feel a touch of arrogance from those who build their own. Don't worry, just do the research and it's a piece of cake to build both the upper and lower.

Keep it real...

Steve S.
05-26-10, 00:17
I suspect the reason you're not receiving a lot of replies is due to the high standards and level of expectations among many of the forum members here. You stated that you've a 100 hours of research invested in "every little thing", but from your post it's pretty evident that you didn't read the Knowledge base threads under AR General Discussion - here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355). That is the best place to start. I could rehash a small portion of that information, but nowhere nearly as eloquently as the resident experts have.

I'd recommend spending a few more hours or research reading the first few threads and a few more pertaining to the specific information you’re looking for you should be GTG.

Remark - often the search function does not work properly when looking for multiple strings/ words. Use Google to search within M4C, e.g., “BCM bolt site: m4carbine.net” without the quotes.

I also went back and read that, and none of it pertained to my question about Yankee Hill stripped uppers. In fact, all of it was pretty common knowledge. The tip on the search function was appreciated though.

isa268
05-26-10, 10:28
UTG is for airsoft.

Steve S.
05-26-10, 10:43
An aluminum free float is an aluminum free float. I'm pretty sure airsoft guns don't require an armorers wrench and the manufacturer suggested 30-80lbs torque (or the fact the manual says "designed for 5.56/.223 rifles). Or the numerous reviews posted on the FF rail (check midway, ctd, amazon, brownells, etc.). I've kept my build under $800 by using the best where needed, and keeping it economical where it doesn't matter. I'd take any freefloat over a two-piece anyday. I've handled enough rails to know that at $45, its a steal for a free float.

But then again, I always thought loyalty to name brand was a girl's trait....

isa268
05-26-10, 19:27
An aluminum free float is an aluminum free float. I'm pretty sure airsoft guns don't require an armorers wrench and the manufacturer suggested 30-80lbs torque (or the fact the manual says "designed for 5.56/.223 rifles). Or the numerous reviews posted on the FF rail (check midway, ctd, amazon, brownells, etc.). I've kept my build under $800 by using the best where needed, and keeping it economical where it doesn't matter. I'd take any freefloat over a two-piece anyday. I've handled enough rails to know that at $45, its a steal for a free float.

But then again, I always thought loyalty to name brand was a girl's trait....

no they are not.

just one recent thread dealing how shitty UTG rails are:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54153&highlight=rails

Steve S.
05-26-10, 19:58
Did you even read the link you posted? about the officer who ran his for 9 months with no issue? The original post was made about a 2piece rail. There are only a few things that matter in a free float rail. Lightweight, Sturdy, and rails that are in spec. The UTG has all of these. Too many people on here justify bullshit they don't need. I hear about Aimpoint battery life, but unless you are headin over to the sandbox, there's no need to worry since you probably are near many convenience stores before those 10k hours are up. There is no reason for anyone outside of law enforcement and military to spend big money. I do 3gun, and I know that I simply need a free-float so my barrel won't flex while slinged. Now, if spending money on a Troy and Eotechs over UTGs and Bushnell Holosights makes you feel warm inside, good for you. But chances are if you aren't mil or a leo or firearm instructor, you don't need it.

I personally would rather take the money saved and actually shoot my guns, which i'm sure is a new idea to many of the forum dwellers who simply take pictures of their guns to post, not shoot. I've shot my whole life, and I have watched plenty of suckers at gun shops. Spend money on what matters, not hype. Your rail doesn't need to be able to survive being dropped from a heli if you aren't jumping from one.

Plus, to the ignorant (airsoft?), the rail is in spec, lightweight, and doesn't flex, so i'm sure if i etched "Troy" into it, you would be more than willing to hand over a couple Benjamins and never know the difference. Hell, you'd probably still get your warm feeling inside.

keep it real....

Steve S.
05-26-10, 20:16
But thanks for the link, didn't know that UTG moved to my state to manufacture their product. God knows Michigan could use the work. To be honest, I thought they were a shitty Airsoft company who started making shitty AR components but managed to make a good product at a great price. After reading about 100 positive reviews from AR owners, plus my own experience with this rail and other big name rails, sorry if I don't take your "shitty UTG rails" comment very seriously, ISA. keep it real though...

isa268
05-26-10, 20:27
Did you even read the link you posted? about the officer who ran his for 9 months with no issue? The original post was made about a 2piece rail. There are only a few things that matter in a free float rail. Lightweight, Sturdy, and rails that are in spec. The UTG has all of these. Too many people on here justify bullshit they don't need. I hear about Aimpoint battery life, but unless you are headin over to the sandbox, there's no need to worry since you probably are near many convenience stores before those 10k hours are up. There is no reason for anyone outside of law enforcement and military to spend big money. I do 3gun, and I know that I simply need a free-float so my barrel won't flex while slinged. Now, if spending money on a Troy and Eotechs over UTGs and Bushnell Holosights makes you feel warm inside, good for you. But chances are if you aren't mil or a leo or firearm instructor, you don't need it.

I personally would rather take the money saved and actually shoot my guns, which i'm sure is a new idea to many of the forum dwellers who simply take pictures of their guns to post, not shoot. I've shot my whole life, and I have watched plenty of suckers at gun shops. Spend money on what matters, not hype. Your rail doesn't need to be able to survive being dropped from a heli if you aren't jumping from one.

Plus, to the ignorant (airsoft?), the rail is in spec, lightweight, and doesn't flex, so i'm sure if i etched "Troy" into it, you would be more than willing to hand over a couple Benjamins and never know the difference. Hell, you'd probably still get your warm feeling inside.

keep it real....

yes i did.

Well I listened to all of everyone's constructive and not so constructive criticism and dumped the UTG rails from my middy and got a set of Troy rails.

The differences in hardness, fit and finish are amazing. Plus the Troy rails are about a third lighter than the UTG rails.

Just don't let my wife know I listened to common sense. It may set a precedent.

What do you expect from cheap shit made by the ChiComs.

All I am saying is when you can get YHM rails, KAC blems or KAC used why buy UTG?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

isa268
05-26-10, 20:32
But thanks for the link, didn't know that UTG moved to my state to manufacture their product. God knows Michigan could use the work. To be honest, I thought they were a shitty Airsoft company who started making shitty AR components but managed to make a good product at a great price. After reading about 100 positive reviews from AR owners, plus my own experience with this rail and other big name rails, sorry if I don't take your "shitty UTG rails" comment very seriously, ISA. keep it real though...

i understand you're mad i pointed out UTG is shit, i would be too if i wasted my money.

Beretta96fs keep it real though.....

ETA:

An aluminum free float is an aluminum free float.

how can you even compare $75 rails to, Laure, KAC, DD, Troy.... so no a rail is not a rail is not a rail.

Failure2Stop
05-26-10, 20:47
This is ridiculous.