PDA

View Full Version : Life of a Bachelor

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 09:09
So the wife and the kids left for VA Beach on Thursday and are going to be there all weekend. This has left me to my own devices (read no obligations). Very seldom do such things happen in my life. So how to take advantage of this rare opportunity?? The thoughts/ideas are endless.

First, I started off with shooting my AR off the deck (generally classified as a no no) at my groundhog popper (that is 300yds out).
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grants_Pics/Backyard_AR.jpg
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grants_Pics/Metal_GH.jpg

Next, what's for dinner? Maybe fire up the new Weber grill and throw a filet on?
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grants_Pics/Weber.jpg

After dinner, I think I will get into the hot tub and reflect upon the days accomplishments (as a bachelor).
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grants_Pics/Hot_Tub.jpg

Before getting into the hot tub, I think I will invite my buddy (Sam Adams) over for some drinks
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grants_Pics/Beer.jpg

Ahh, the good life...

C4

*Disclaimer: If you are reading this honey, it was all made up and none of it was actually done. Oh and I miss you terribly and hope you come home soon. ;)

Titleist
05-07-10, 09:13
I have that same Weber (all gray/silver though). Fire that bitch up and grill up some meat. ASAP!

Have fun, Grant.

Spiffums
05-07-10, 09:13
You better delete or edit the part about shooting off the deck. Don't want to incriminate yourself you know.:D

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 09:19
I have that same Weber (all gray/silver though). Fire that bitch up and grill up some meat. ASAP!

Have fun, Grant.

Nice grills (built like a tank). Am enjoying it a lot.

C4

lethal dose
05-07-10, 09:20
I'm still in bachelor status (until October). Need help with that grill, brew and popper? ;)

rjacobs
05-07-10, 09:22
Does that grill have one of those infrared plates for cooking steaks? My buddies dad got a new grill that has one and it is awesome, gets up to like 1200 degrees.

Abraxas
05-07-10, 09:25
I am envious Grant. Enjoy it while it lasts;) That is a great view off your deck.

rob_s
05-07-10, 09:29
Sounds like you should have planned ahead and had a man day. Whenever the ole lady is out of town I have some of the fellas over and we grill some meat, drink some beers, smoke some cigars, and sit around and tell each other lies.

Got another one coming up next month. :D

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 09:31
Does that grill have one of those infrared plates for cooking steaks? My buddies dad got a new grill that has one and it is awesome, gets up to like 1200 degrees.

It does not, but have read about them. Sounds interesting.

C4

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 09:32
Sounds like you should have planned ahead and had a man day. Whenever the ole lady is out of town I have some of the fellas over and we grill some meat, drink some beers, smoke some cigars, and sit around and tell each other lies.

Got another one coming up next month. :D

Ya know, I tried that, but go no takers (no one could get a kitchen pass). :mad:

C4

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 09:33
I am envious Grant. Enjoy it while it lasts;) That is a great view off your deck.

There isn't much better than sitting in the "tub" watching the sun set and drinking a few cold ones.

C4

Oscar 319
05-07-10, 09:42
Grant, you are my idol.

It seriously does not get any better than that.

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 09:43
Grant, you are my idol.

It seriously does not get any better than that.

LOL, I think you need to raise your standards. :D

C4

HAMMERDROP
05-07-10, 09:45
There isn't much better than sitting in the "tub" watching the sun set and drinking a few cold ones.

C4

1+ for that me and my wife are blessed with an incredible view of sunrise and sunset. It really helps keeps things in perspective.
However my bathtub, I keep in the house! ;)

Michael

Robb Jensen
05-07-10, 09:48
Haha! If I lived closer to you I'd come over and help you break that groundhog steel!

Don Robison
05-07-10, 09:57
If I lived closer I'd be over there bugging you Grant.
I put the wife on a plane yesterday to go visit her mom and sister in Greece for two weeks. This evenings festivities will include guns, steak and quite possibly a beer.

militarymoron
05-07-10, 10:04
do some 'over the beach' weapons testing in the hot tub like in that HK 416 video - rise out of the bubbling waters and take down the popper. then take a bite out of a steak and wash it down with the beer. then post it on youtube.

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 10:05
do some 'over the beach' weapons testing in the hot tub like in that HK 416 video - rise out of the bubbling waters and take down the popper. then take a bite out of a steak and wash it down with the beer. then post it on youtube.

I like this. :D

C4

mattjmcd
05-07-10, 10:15
Wow. Just, wow. That's an epic setup, dude. View. AR. Grill. No kids. (I hate you so much right now:D)

N4LtRecce
05-07-10, 10:21
MMMmmmmmmMMM ..........

Sam Adams :cool:

arbninftry
05-07-10, 10:23
I miss the green trees and and scenery. Nice chunk of land.

Oscar 319
05-07-10, 10:27
Roxanne: "Grant, why are there shell casings in the hot tub"? :eek:

d90king
05-07-10, 10:34
Looks like a great weekend is in store for some bachelor in Ohio.:cool:

How new is that grill? It seems every time I buy something they come out with a newer version a month later... I think a strip steak is in order for proper testing...:D

Look forward to the AAR... You can keep the pics of you in the hot tub to your self though...:p

rob_s
05-07-10, 10:37
It seems every time I buy something they come out with a newer version a month later...

Like many things in life, this can work to your advantage as you can typically buy the "old" model for much less.

trappernana
05-07-10, 10:39
You deserve it Grant.You have it all! The Blondes,Brunettes or Red Heads are over-rated.........I think........maybe.......any way......A good man with a good soul . They'll be lined up!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

MookNW
05-07-10, 10:41

Plus one

Artos
05-07-10, 10:52
...it's good for the soul to be alone in the house every now and then. Wish I was out in the sticks & had a set up to shoot centerfires behind the house.

The mushy stuff is also a blessing when everyone returns home to say they miss you & all the free hugs.:)

Irish
05-07-10, 10:53
Great backyard! I need to get out of this city.

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 10:58
Looks like a great weekend is in store for some bachelor in Ohio.:cool:

How new is that grill? It seems every time I buy something they come out with a newer version a month later... I think a strip steak is in order for proper testing...:D

Look forward to the AAR... You can keep the pics of you in the hot tub to your self though...:p

The grill is about 3 weeks old.

C4

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 10:59
...it's good for the soul to be alone in the house every now and then. Wish I was out in the sticks & had a set up to shoot centerfires behind the house.

The mushy stuff is also a blessing when everyone returns home to say they miss you & all the free hugs.:)

Oh, I agree. Lord knows that I am difficult to live with and it is good for everyone to get a break.

C4

ForTehNguyen
05-07-10, 11:08
bring a bunch of friends over for the UFC fight saturday

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 11:12
bring a bunch of friends over for the UFC fight saturday

Good idea, but am teaching defensive pistol tomorrow night.

C4

Belmont31R
05-07-10, 11:15
Damn Id love to be able to shoot at home...some day....:cool:

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 11:20
Damn Id love to be able to shoot at home...some day....:cool:

Its great for sure. I have about 9 steel targets, short and long range berms, standard targets stands, benches and can basically do whatever I like.

C4

PdxMotoxer
05-07-10, 11:57
Damn Grant i am envious but as a customer i have to admit you deserve it!
Hard work earns hard play!

I have that same grill and as a diabetic and avid griller I can vogue that it IMHO is one of thee top of the line,
and cooks the hottest and most even as i have tried quite a few cheaper models.

After years of buying junk and having to replace every few seasons
the wife talked me into spending more on that one and i have and i've never looked back.
(invest in the weber cover.. it is better and thicker than the after markets)
I do still have the charcoal grill with offset smoker for those things that smoke long and slow or when you just want that charcoal cooking.
(but i think it got used under 10 times last summer.. lol)

Have a super safe but AWESOME weekend and i'm sure your wife
will approve of anything you do after she gets home to a more relaxed
happier Grant

Best wishes
Pdx Rob

Scoby
05-07-10, 12:09
That is really nice. I have a similar setup and get to do the bachelor thing on occassion.

It "recharges" a fella.

I need a good popper though!

Scoby

PdxMotoxer
05-07-10, 12:11
I miss the green trees and and scenery. Nice chunk of land.

I forgot to comment on this.
I agree and that is some beautiful property you have there Grant.

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 12:19
Damn Grant i am envious but as a customer i have to admit you deserve it!
Hard work earns hard play!

I have that same grill and as a diabetic and avid griller I can vogue that it IMHO is one of thee top of the line,
and cooks the hottest and most even as i have tried quite a few cheaper models.

After years of buying junk and having to replace every few seasons
the wife talked me into spending more on that one and i have and i've never looked back.
(invest in the weber cover.. it is better and thicker than the after markets)
I do still have the charcoal grill with offset smoker for those things that smoke long and slow or when you just want that charcoal cooking.
(but i think it got used under 10 times last summer.. lol)

Have a super safe but AWESOME weekend and i'm sure your wife
will approve of anything you do after she gets home to a more relaxed
happier Grant

Best wishes
Pdx Rob

Thanks.

The grill is superior to everything else I have owned for certain.

I did get the Weber cover for it. ;)

Gutshot John
05-07-10, 12:20
We all have our crosses to bear. :D

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 12:22
We all have our crosses to bear. :D

Ya, it rough being me sometimes.

C4

civilian
05-07-10, 12:25
I seriously need to move out of NoVA so that my townhouse money can buy a couple acres somewhere. What I wouldn't give to have a backyard setup like that!

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 14:30
I seriously need to move out of NoVA so that my townhouse money can buy a couple acres somewhere. What I wouldn't give to have a backyard setup like that!

Move to Ohio. Dirt cheap to live here (no jobs though). :D

C4

ROGOPGEAR
05-07-10, 14:39
just gave you some more business today grant, you guys rock. enjoy your man time.

GermanSynergy
05-07-10, 14:54
Still a bachelor, livin' the dream every day:D:D:D

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 15:29
just gave you some more business today grant, you guys rock. enjoy your man time.

Hey thanks! Now I can afford to sit back and have another beer. ;)

C4

Submariner
05-07-10, 16:52

C4

Ale isn't really beer. Lager is beer.:D

sewvacman
05-07-10, 17:14
I'm reading this while at home watching the kids while my wife is running around town doing who knows what. I really want, no, need a Sam Adams right now.

Enjoy it while you can my man.

parishioner
05-07-10, 17:23
Stop posting in this thread, fire up that grill and enjoy that serenity. ;)

SeriousStudent
05-07-10, 18:17
Good for you! :D

And when Roxanne and the boys get back, and she asks what you did?

"Gee, nothing really, honey. Just hung out around the house and foraged for myself....."

GermanSynergy
05-07-10, 18:21

C4

Nice! :cool:

As soon as you get in some more M&P 9's I'll be sending more $$$ your way. :cool::D

mattjmcd
05-07-10, 19:07
Like many things in life, this can work to your advantage as you can typically buy the "old" model for much less.

I employed this very strategy when I acquired my wife!:D I keed, I keed.

(thank you... thank you... I'll be here all week.:cool:)

Still hating you, Grant.

GermanSynergy
05-07-10, 19:10
That's a nice grill, Grant. I just cooked a steak on my Propane Elaine and damn it was tasty! :D

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 21:30
Still hating you, Grant.

Ya, I get that a lot.

C4

Heavy Metal
05-07-10, 21:32
:D

C4

I saw that pic of that hot tub and said to myself: "You know, I proabally have paid for that hot tub over the years!"

Have fun this weekend, just don't have too much fun:D

Heavy Metal
05-07-10, 21:34
BTW, I have bad news Grant. Looks like I may have a steady GF. The irony is she lives across the street from where I lived in Charleston before I moved a year and a half ago. She moved in in the meantime and I was visiting the old neighbors and landlady when I saw her struggling with a wheelbarrow full of gravels. The rest may prove to be history. And I though I was done with the constant turnpike tolls.

The bad news vis a vi you is my discressionary income will surely be impacted.

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 21:37
:D

I saw that pic of that hot tub and said to myself: "You know, I proabally have paid for that hot tub over the years!"

Have fun this weekend, just don't have too much fun:D

LOL, actually, the money for the HT did not come from G&R.

Your money went to paying off my house. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 21:40
BTW, I have bad news Grant. Looks like I may have a steady GF. The irony is she lives across the street from where I lived in Charleston before I moved a year and a half ago. She moved in in the meantime and I was visiting the old neighbors and landlady when I saw her struggling with a wheelbarrow full of gravels. The rest may prove to be history. And I though I was done with the constant turnpike tolls.

The bad news vis a vi you is my discressionary income will surely be impacted.

So she isn't one of those mail order brides? :eek:

Good for you on th GF. Just remember that they are an expensive hobby!

C4

Heavy Metal
05-07-10, 22:02
So she isn't one of those mail order brides?

Did .30cal Slut tell the world I was hanging out on Thai Love Links?

No, she is from Maryland and a recent divorcee.

HES
05-07-10, 23:23
I am so jealous on so many levels. Good for you. Serious question, how much does land go per acre up there?

5pins
05-07-10, 23:25
Don’t tell me that you are getting out of Mothers Day duties on Sunday.:D

120mm
05-08-10, 04:44
You know, on your shooting off the deck comment, your wife must be related to my wife. A few years back when we lived on a farm, my wife got all bent out of shape because I shot a dumb squirrel in the back yard. You'd think it was the end of the world, or something.

You know, it's then that I discovered that even though the bathroom made a great squirrel hunting hide, but maybe shooting while actually on the shitter, inside the bathroom was a no-no.

Some women....

30 cal slut
05-08-10, 06:16
Carbine class at Grant's house! I'll bring the beers! :eek:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grants_Pics/Backyard_AR.jpg

Iraqgunz
05-08-10, 08:31
Grant,

I am going to be in the VA/NC area near Moyock in the near future. Was thinking of driving to OH to visit my bother. Who knows......

scanda
05-08-10, 09:53
I have the same grill too, excellent choice sir!

VooDoo6Actual
05-08-10, 13:27
Looks like Nirvana to me .....

Sweet !

QuickStrike
05-08-10, 15:10

German techno is MANDATORY! :D

BVickery
05-08-10, 16:45
Hope your enjoying your free time Grant.

And remember, I'm available for adoption if need be. :D

adrenaline151
05-08-10, 17:33
Just don't forget to pick up the brass from the deck and the bottle caps from the hot tub, and you should be gtg. Nice setup you have there!

C4IGrant
05-09-10, 20:00
I am so jealous on so many levels. Good for you. Serious question, how much does land go per acre up there?

About $1,000-$1500 per acre.

C4

C4IGrant
05-09-10, 20:00
Don’t tell me that you are getting out of Mothers Day duties on Sunday.:D

Why yes I am. :D

C4

C4IGrant
05-09-10, 20:10
So its now Mother's Day and my weekend adverture is coming to an end (household 6 comes home tomorrow). Here is what I accomplished this weekend:

Thursday, shooting off the deck, enjoying the hot tube and a few beers.

Friday, dinner with Nate of NVB Gear and a few beers on the deck.

Saturday, we taught pistol training to the local natives and then went to dinner with some friends.

Sunday, drove down to Ken Hackathorn's home range (Ft. Harmar) and did a little shooting with him and their new shoot house (see pics below).

So all in all, it was a good weekends and MANY productive things were accomplished. ;)

C4

Me (in black) with Ken on my left.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Training_Pics/May10.jpg

Sgt. Watson of the T-County SO killing bad guys in the house.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Training_Pics/May10a.jpg

Ken showing us how it is supposed to be done.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Training_Pics/May10b.jpg

Robb Jensen
05-09-10, 20:14
What handgun are you shooting Grant? That doesn't look like a S&W M&P...

GermanSynergy
05-09-10, 20:32

I can't tell what it is either......

C4IGrant
05-09-10, 20:32

I am running my daly carry gun (HK P7 M8).

Fear not though, Hackathorn was carrying the M&P banner for me. :)

GermanSynergy
05-09-10, 20:35
I am running my daly carry gun (HK P7 M8).

Fear not though, Hackathorn was carrying the M&P banner for me. :)

Nice! I love my P7 PSP.... :cool:

Artos
05-09-10, 20:35

C4

that is insane cheap compared to the market in south tx & being able to get out in the sticks...at LEAST 2x min!!

Moon Doggie
05-09-10, 21:31
Class and shoot house looks fun :D

SeriousStudent
05-09-10, 21:55
Wow - that sound like a very nice way to spend a weekend!

How is Mr. Hackathorn liking his new lightweight carbine? It looks like he's running that pencil barrel build you did for him.

I just finished mine tonight, with the parts you sent. It's very, very quick, with the Troy rail and pencil barrel. :)

d90king
05-10-10, 05:46
So its now Mother's Day and my weekend adverture is coming to an end (household 6 comes home tomorrow). Here is what I accomplished this weekend:

Thursday, shooting off the deck, enjoying the hot tube and a few beers.

Friday, dinner with Nate of NVB Gear and a few beers on the deck.

Saturday, we taught pistol training to the local natives and then went to dinner with some friends.

Sunday, drove down to Ken Hackathorn's home range (Ft. Harmar) and did a little shooting with him and their new shoot house (see pics below).

So all in all, it was a good weekends and MANY productive things were accomplished. ;)

C4

Me (in black) with Ken on my left.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Training_Pics/May10.jpg

Sgt. Watson of the T-County SO killing bad guys in the house.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Training_Pics/May10a.jpg

Ken showing us how it is supposed to be done.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Training_Pics/May10b.jpg

Damn, now that ended up being a perfect Mother day weekend.:D If Mothers day looks like that, I can't wait to see what Fathers day looks like!

Looks like an outstanding weekend.... glad you had fun.

ROGOPGEAR
05-10-10, 06:24
now get back to work and mail my microT. haha, just kiddin. glad to see your weekend turned out well.

Cold Zero
05-10-10, 07:53
Nice deck / Hot Tub.

C4IGrant
05-10-10, 08:13
Wow - that sound like a very nice way to spend a weekend!

How is Mr. Hackathorn liking his new lightweight carbine? It looks like he's running that pencil barrel build you did for him.

I just finished mine tonight, with the parts you sent. It's very, very quick, with the Troy rail and pencil barrel. :)

He tells me that he really likes and he shoots it VERY well. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
05-10-10, 09:45
Here is the link to the Ft. Harmar shoot house pics from Sunday: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=650492&posted=1#post650492

C4

HES
05-10-10, 15:54

C4
:eek: Great Googly Moogly!!!! :eek:

In central Florida, that would get you a 1/10th of an acre. I found out recently that around Dawsonville, GA that an acre runs at about $15,000 and I thought that was a good price.

If there is a decent hospital in the area I am calling a Realtor!

C4IGrant
05-10-10, 15:58

In central Florida, that would get you a 1/10th of an acre. I found out recently that around Dawsonville, GA that an acre runs at about $15,000 and I thought that was a good price.

If there is a decent hospital in the area I am calling a Realtor!

Don't know if it is a "decent" hopsital or not, but the closest one is Union Hospital. Next would be Timken Mercy.

C4

ROGOPGEAR
05-12-10, 20:55
Hey Grant, just got my T-1 in the mail today. Thanx for the awesome business. Finally I'm done with my build. Got the barrel and gas block, lower, and aimpoint from you.

I posted this in the pic thread, but here you go anyways.
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp238/ravenwulfe101/DSCN4443.jpg?t=1273715220

C4IGrant
05-13-10, 11:11
Hey Grant, just got my T-1 in the mail today. Thanx for the awesome business. Finally I'm done with my build. Got the barrel and gas block, lower, and aimpoint from you.

I posted this in the pic thread, but here you go anyways.
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp238/ravenwulfe101/DSCN4443.jpg?t=1273715220

Looks good!

C4

DragonDoc
05-14-10, 18:46
How many acres do you have Grant? I hope to be able to afford a decent spread one of these days. Unfortunately, NCO pay won't get me there any time soon.

The_War_Wagon
05-14-10, 18:57
I had a few weekends like that when I was 25... with crappier armament :p, and only a smokin' hot redhead for company. :D

THOSE days, will never come again, however... :(

C4IGrant
05-14-10, 20:14
How many acres do you have Grant? I hope to be able to afford a decent spread one of these days. Unfortunately, NCO pay won't get me there any time soon.

We have just over 10 acres.

Am looking at buying 40-60 acres right now so I can build a private range on it.

C4

TehLlama
05-14-10, 21:34
You have truly inspired me to innovate in the field of hot tub accessible grilling. If I'm able to build a mini-fridge into this process, I think my only worry will be becoming a prune.

M4Fundi
05-15-10, 05:55
I am currently becoming a bachelor and my wife gets the house, the hot tub and the Noveske, so I will have to live vicariously thru Grant for awhile:confused:

Palmguy
05-15-10, 06:45
I am currently becoming a bachelor and my wife gets ... the Noveske

:eek::eek::eek:

That's just wrong. Did you walk into court and call the judge some obscene name or something? Damn.

C4IGrant
05-15-10, 07:55
You have truly inspired me to innovate in the field of hot tub accessible grilling. If I'm able to build a mini-fridge into this process, I think my only worry will be becoming a prune.

LOL, well I am glad I motivated someone today. Usually I am trying to get someone to take their first training class, but this will have to do. :D

C4

C4IGrant
05-15-10, 07:56
I am currently becoming a bachelor and my wife gets the house, the hot tub and the Noveske, so I will have to live vicariously thru Grant for awhile:confused:

I am sorry to hear that. Remember that it WILL get better.

In bad situations such as yours, I try and look at the positives. A chance to buy a better hot tub, a new gun and nicer house. ;)

C4

orionz06
05-15-10, 08:01

infrared racks are the the only way to sear a steak properly, at least compared to other household options.

Is that a Zappa reference I spy?

M4Fundi
05-15-10, 14:13
I am sorry to hear that. Remember that it WILL get better.

In bad situations such as yours, I try and look at the positives. A chance to buy a better hot tub, a new gun and nicer house. ;)

C4

Thanks Grant
Didn't mean to to drop the terd in the hot tub;)

Trust in HIM!

Make sure you police all your brass out of the bottom of the hot tub or when your wife steps on one your bachelor ways will be exposed:eek:

Tho I think your hot tub needs a spotting scope attachment so the wife and kids can spot for you while soaking.:p

GermanSynergy
05-16-10, 18:18

My ex wife got a P99 AS, USP 9 and Steyr M9. Even though you may not think so now, life does get better.