PDA

View Full Version : TX - Homeowner shoots & kills intruder.

Irish
05-07-10, 10:44
http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_15027169?source=most_viewed

EL PASO -- A homeowner shot and killed a burglar who broke into his house early Wednesday morning, police said.

About 4:40, an unidentified man in his early 20s broke into a house in the 8000 block of Tonto Place, police said.

Homeowners Paul Daw and Monica Daw were asleep during the initial break-in and awoke to find the man in the master bedroom.

They fought with him, police said.

During the struggle, Paul Daw shot the man multiple times with a handgun. He was taken to Beaumont Army Medical Center, where he later died, said police spokesman Darrel Petry.

Investigators were working Wednesday afternoon to identify the man through his fingerprints, said Dr. Paul Shrode, the county medical examiner.

Police spokesman Detective Mike Baranyay said the couple's children were home during the break-in.

"I know there was a man and a woman and kids, but I don't know how many kids," Baranyay said.

David Hennis said the shooting was the first in the upscale Mountain Park neighborhood since he and his family moved there in the 1960s.

"I'm sure it's handy for people who want to break into houses that there's no streetlights," said Hennis, 80.

The last time an El Paso homeowner shot and killed an intruder was in 2000, when Dr. Joseph Segapeli, a pediatrician, shot a man who forced his way into his Lower Valley home.

The man, Steven Medrano, held three children, their nanny and another man in the kitchen before the shooting.

Segapeli was not prosecuted.

In Texas, homeowners may use deadly force to protect themselves, their families and their property under certain conditions.
After the Castle Doctrine became law in 2007, homeowners could legally use a gun to defend themselves from home invaders without retreating before shooting, said National Rifle Association spokeswoman Vickie Cieplak.

Before the passing of the Castle Doctrine law, a person had to retreat to another room in his or her house before shooting an intruder, she said.

A permit is not required to own a gun, but a permit is required to conceal and carry a gun.

PaulL
05-07-10, 14:30
Before the passing of the Castle Doctrine law, a person had to retreat to another room in his or her house before shooting an intruder, she said.

Is this really what that meant? I'm pretty sure you could shoot an intruder no questions asked if they came in your house. I have been wrong before, though....

arbninftry
05-07-10, 14:44
It is getting worse by the day here! Anyone want to buy a defendable house with standoff in the El Paso area!

arbninftry
05-07-10, 14:48
Police Arrest 3 In String Of Robberies. 7 MAY 2010:eek:
Three men are suspected in a string of street robberies, including mugging victims during a basketball game and in the parking lot of a Jack-in-the-Box restaurant. El Paso police said the men, one of whom was convicted in March in a previous robbery, are accused of walking up to people and assaulting them to take their wallets, cell phones and other items in five cases in the Northeast since April 27. Detectives and the Northeast Tactical Unit this week arrested USPER1, 20, of the 100 block of South Resler; USPER2, 17, of the 8500 block of Viscount; and USPER3, 21, of the 4700 block of Joel. Mug shots were not released because an investigation continues. More arrests are pending. The suspects were identified by victims and witnesses through photo lineups, and some of the defendants allegedly made statements implicating themselves, stated complaint affidavits obtained by the El Paso Times.
According to police documents, the robbery spree went like this:
- 2:40 p.m. Tuesday, an 18-year-old man was walking on Fairfax Street near Irvin High School when a group punched and kicked him. The victim was knocked to the ground. The robbers left in a car when a witness yelled at them.
- 10 p.m. Sunday, robbers knocked down a man walking to his car with food outside the Jack-in-the Box on Dyer Street. Security video showed the suspects in the restaurant before the robbery.

- 8:10 p.m. Sunday, a man was robbed while walking on Echo Street near Sunrise Park. The victim was hit on the head and pushed against a rock wall.
- 5 p.m. April 30, two men playing basketball were robbed in the 4600 block of Fairbanks. An iPod Nano music player was among items taken.
- 5 p.m. April 27, a man and woman walking on Rushing Boulevard near Dyer were robbed by men who smelled of marijuana. "What's up," a robber told the man, who was punched in the face when he turned around. A backpack and a purse were among items stolen.
One of the men arrested has a history of robberies. USPER1 avoided prison time after a robbery conviction months ago. USPER1 was arrested in December after robbing a man at gunpoint. On March 25, USPER1 pleaded guilty before Judge Bonnie Rangel to a charge of aggravated robbery. Court records show USPER1 was given 10 years of probation. He got deferred adjudication (the case would not go to trial if he did not get into trouble) for two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Source: http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_15036521

The local gangs are aligning with the cartels from Juarez, also.
And Bobvila thought he lived in the hood. This place will make Baghdad look like Disneyland if it is not cleaned up soon.

arbninftry
05-07-10, 14:57
Two teenagers and a 26-year-old man were killed inside a vehicle with Texas license plates in the outskirts of Juárez. Chihuahua state officials said gunmen shot E. Zamarripa, 26, E. Pérez, 18, and B. Rodriguez, 18, about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in El Sauzal, a rural town near the border between Socorro and San Elizario. The three were shot 16 times. The 2000 Dodge Intrepid with Texas license plates was parked outside the town's hospital when the attack occurred. Source: http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_15023327?source=most_viewed

If you are not familiar with Juarez and El Paso, look out back and check out the chainlink fence seperating your yard and your neighbors. That is all that seperates us here. Border fence my ass in places.

GermanSynergy
05-07-10, 19:20
At least Texas has Castle Doctrine!

MrMilitaryPolice
05-08-10, 04:16
good for that homeowner

SteveL
05-08-10, 07:57
good for that homeowner

My thoughts exactly.

Mando'a
05-08-10, 10:29
Is this really what that meant? I'm pretty sure you could shoot an intruder no questions asked if they came in your house. I have been wrong before, though....

Before the Castle Doctrine, you were supposed to "Flee," until you either removed yourself from your own home, or trapped yourself in your own home.