PDA

View Full Version : MO - Hold up victim shoots armed robber.

Irish
05-07-10, 10:48
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/A638C331F2271C2F8625771A003F553A?OpenDocument

HAZELWOOD -- A man who was robbed at gunpoint in Hazelwood on Tuesday night fought back and shot the robber to death, police say.

The victim of the holdup pulled his own gun and fatally shot the robber at about 8:40 p.m. Tuesday on a street in Hazelwood.

The shooting happened in the 3700 block of Dunn Road, near Cortena Drive.

A man in his 50s told police he had been walking along Dunn Road when another man came up to him, pulled a gun and demanded money. The robbery victim handed over his wallet.

As the robber rifled through the wallet, the man who'd been robbed shot the robber to death, police say. He died at the scene. The robber was a man about 20 years old, said Capt. Gregg Hall of the Hazelwood Police Department.

The medical examiner's office said Wednesday morning that the dead man hadn't been positively identified yet.

Police found no witnesses to the robbery or shooting, Hall said.

At this point, Hall said, police have no reason to doubt the account provided by the robbery victim.

"We have no reason to believe that he is not telling us the truth," Hall said. "We're in the middle of our investigation."

Hall said he didn't know yet how many shots were fired or how many times the robber was hit. He was awaiting results of the autopsy.

When the investigation is complete, Hall said police would present the case to the prosecuting attorney's office to consider.

Richard Garger, 71, who lives on Eagles Way Court about a half-block from the shooting, said he heard eight shots.
"What are the odds of two guys with guns walking down the street?" he said. "It's like the Old West."

Another neighbor, Georgia Baker, 78, said she heard shots and looked outside to see a man rolling down a sloping hill behind her home. At the top of the hill is Dunn Road. The man's body came to rest not far from a wooden bench. She saw a gun near his body.

Baker said she saw another man standing along Dunn Road, at the top of the hill.
I'm glad he was able to defend himself. 1 more for the good guys.

Oscar 319
05-07-10, 11:24
"What are the odds of two guys with guns walking down the street?"

What are the odds the robber won't be robbin' anymore?

Irish
05-07-10, 16:50
What are the odds the robber won't be robbin' anymore?

Gotta love a happy ending.

CobraBG
05-07-10, 19:49
Gotta love a happy ending.

You've got that right!

rjacobs
05-08-10, 10:36
This guy took his CCW with the guy I took mine with. The instructor is an officer in the city I live in and is the largest CCW trainer in Missouri(I think 6000+ students). This is now the 3rd shooting one of his students has been involved in, he already has talked to the guy as well as the hazelwood police and it looks as though no charges are going to be filed on the guy, but that is just the prelim that was told through his website.

QuietShootr
05-08-10, 10:57
He should have called 911 and left that to the professionals. Someone could have gotten hurt.

Bobert0989
05-08-10, 11:18
He should have called 911 and left that to the professionals. Someone could have gotten hurt.

He did call the police, and it went a little like this... ;)

"911, What's your emergency?"

"I'm being robbed!"

"Okay, do you have a general description of the suspect?"

"Yeah, little guy, about 20, with a GUN in my FACE!"

"Did he threaten you?"

"Yes..."

"Is the firearm loaded?"

"More than likely."

"What is the suspect wearing?"

"Seriously?"

"Sir, do you need help or not?"

"Just send someone over to Dunn Road and pick him up. He fell over the hill."

"Okay, remain calm, help is on the way. Should I stay on the line?"

"Nah, that's alright. You know, it's people like you that- - -"

"Please hold----"

Abraxas
05-08-10, 11:55
This guy took his CCW with the guy I took mine with. The instructor is an officer in the city I live in and is the largest CCW trainer in Missouri(I think 6000+ students). This is now the 3rd shooting one of his students has been involved in, he already has talked to the guy as well as the hazelwood police and it looks as though no charges are going to be filed on the guy, but that is just the prelim that was told through his website.

So far so good then