PDA

View Full Version : HELP feeding round, maybe????

joeinkeys
05-07-10, 23:00
hey all,

have not shot the rifle yet as I just picked up the lower from the FFL an hour ago. DD defense lower from G&R Tactical, BCM 16" light weight Middy Upper. Going shooting tomorrow. Filled up 5 PMAG 30 round clips. Thought I would test the action. I cant get a round to feed without using the foward assist. Chamber a round pull back the charging handle and ejection is slick as snot. Next round required foward assist to chamber. I noticed that there is a gap between upper and lower about 1 piece of papper thick. Id' think this is not a big deal. Is there an issue with the rifle; or should I put some hoppe gun oil on it all and hope rounds chamber when I shoot tomorrow?

First AR, kinda like your first baby home from the hospital lots of questions / anxiety with this and probably for nothing :confused:? Comments please!!!

kmrtnsn
05-07-10, 23:03
Is the bolt dry? Lube is your friend. I'd also function check the hell out of it WITHOUT AMMO.

joeinkeys
05-07-10, 23:10
Is the bolt dry? Lube is your friend. I'd also function check the hell out of it WITHOUT AMMO.

Bolt is probably dry. Came out of the bag from BCM dry. Wiped it down with synthetic Mobil 1 oil I put in my bike. Not alot, just a "wipe down". Will take the bottle of hoppes that I have with me to the range. Would put some on now; but the wife would get "red" with that oozing out on the floor.

Any issue with the razor thin gap between the DD lower and BCM upper. Seems tight and stable when holding the rifle. There is a little play when twisting the upper in oppisite direction from the lower. I know all machines have a minimum of play "designed" into them :)

5pins
05-07-10, 23:15
Are you riding the charging handle or letting it fly.

What ammo are you using?

Blankwaffe
05-07-10, 23:19
Just to note,I would not recommend repeated chambering of live cartridges in the home...that is if you are.I was almost killed by a family member doing just that years ago.
When you say you are pulling the charging handle back and chambering the cartridge,are you releasing the charging handle and letting the BCG fly foward,or are you holding onto the charging handle as it moves foward chambering the cartridge?
Try locking the BCG back with the bolt catch,push the charging handle foward and lock it into place,insert the loaded mag and depress the bolt catch releasing the BCG allowing it to strip the cartridge from the magazine.
Did the BCG feed the cartridge and go into battery?

Blankwaffe
05-07-10, 23:25
Any issue with the razor thin gap between the DD lower and BCM upper. Seems tight and stable when holding the rifle. There is a little play when twisting the upper in oppisite direction from the lower. I know all machines have a minimum of play "designed" into them :)

The gap is normal and so is the play....I doubt there is any related issues there.

joeinkeys
05-07-10, 23:33
Just to note,I would not recommend repeated chambering of live cartridges in the home...that is if you are.I was almost killed by a family member doing just that years ago.
When you say you are pulling the charging handle back and chambering the cartridge,are you releasing the charging handle and letting the BCG fly foward,or are you holding onto the charging handle as it moves foward chambering the cartridge?
Try locking the BCG back with the bolt catch,push the charging handle foward and lock it into place,insert the loaded mag and depress the bolt catch releasing the BCG allowing it to strip the cartridge from the magazine.
Did the BCG feed the cartridge and go into battery?

Thanks for reminding me of the stupidity of chambering live rounds in my home. I know I should not do it; but I was in the basement (yes I know that is not much better than being in room doing that with the kids) when chambering the rounds.

This damn thing is like crack I have to mess with it even though I will be shooting it for the first time in about 12 hours. back to the post....

Im using 55 gr wolf ammo. Picked up 1K for $230, and figure this rig would shoot it.

Thanks, and all you gentlemen were on the spot here. Put some Hoppes 9 all over the bcg. Worked the action, then noticed I was babying the charging handle upon release. When I pulled back and let her fly the rounds chambered with no problems.

Newbie here, but wont be afther tomorrow:D.

Thanks for all the help. Could not have put this rig together and felt good about it without having read this forum for the last few months!

graffex
05-07-10, 23:50
Thanks for reminding me of the stupidity of chambering live rounds in my home. I know I should not do it; but I was in the basement (yes I know that is not much better than being in room doing that with the kids) when chambering the rounds.

This damn thing is like crack I have to mess with it even though I will be shooting it for the first time in about 12 hours. back to the post....

Im using 55 gr wolf ammo. Picked up 1K for $230, and figure this rig would shoot it.

Thanks, and all you gentlemen were on the spot here. Put some Hoppes 9 all over the bcg. Worked the action, then noticed I was babying the charging handle upon release. When I pulled back and let her fly the rounds chambered with no problems.

Newbie here, but wont be afther tomorrow:D.

Thanks for all the help. Could not have put this rig together and felt good about it without having read this forum for the last few months!

Remember guns aren't toys ;)

Good luck, and have fun breaking her in tomorrow :cool:

Blankwaffe
05-08-10, 00:04
Yeap,just be careful.AD's happen very often even by some experienced folks.
Another note,when fooling with your weapons or doing PM don't watch TV etc...distractions are not good in my experience.
You may have read this before,if not its a excellent reference to PM.Plus download a copy of the manuals at the bottom of the page.The -10 will be of assistance to you getting started.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35490
Hope this helps and have fun in the morning.

Iraqgunz
05-08-10, 04:55
I highly recommend purchasing some dummy rounds. I also highly recommend using a good weapons lubricant. Don't forget that this a new weapon and of course things will be tight.

Take it out, load it up and shoot it. Remember to sling shot the charging handle and don't ride it forward.

Jimbo45
05-08-10, 15:07
Hoppe's 9 as a lube? Do what Iraqgunz said, and buy some proper lube next chance you get, or just use more of that Mobil 1 you already have. Its, MAGAZINE, not "clip", when talking about AR mags, just for future reference. And be careful, and enjoy breaking it in....

Robb Jensen
05-08-10, 16:39
Also be sure that you aren't putting 31 rounds into the PCLIPs....I mean PMAGs.

Blankwaffe
05-08-10, 17:30
Hoppe's 9 as a lube? Do what Iraqgunz said, and buy some proper lube next chance you get, or just use more of that Mobil 1 you already have. Its, MAGAZINE, not "clip", when talking about AR mags, just for future reference. And be careful, and enjoy breaking it in....

He is probably talking about Hoppes oil in the orange plastic bottle that comes with most of the cleaning kits they sell.Its a non-solvent mineral oil base.Works well enough,but there are better and more modern gun lubes available for sure.

As a note and to go off topic,I'd recommend Weapon Shield,Break Free LP or Mil-comm MC2500 for a lube.
Weapon Shield is the best of the bunch IMHO,and I particularly like the viscosity.
Those are the oils that have served me the best on the AR's.

To further add the newer Break Free CLP "liquid" is also good.They have dropped the solvent content back to about 12% on the liquid version which is called the E revision sold commercially,so the viscosity is a bit heavier than "mil-spec" CLP or the Break Free CLP aerosol(which is similar)and it does not flash off or evaporate as bad.
HTH