PDA

View Full Version : 1911 for Under 1500$?

mwt1980
05-08-10, 00:37
Which one should i get??

graffex
05-08-10, 01:15
Uh... Whats the intended purpose?

Assy Mcgee
05-08-10, 01:54
full size or compact?

SA's TRP is a great one.

JHC
05-08-10, 08:13
TRP would be at the top of my list.

Rinspeed
05-08-10, 08:34
Used Les Baer would get my vote.

SeaSoldier
05-08-10, 10:04
You should be able to find a lightly used Baer TRS for that kinda coin. That would also be my first choice. I have seen quite a few used TRS's in the $1300-$1500 range. I have a few and have owned quite a few more and never had any problems with any of them. They are the 1911's that I have kept even after consolidating to 9MM Glock's and M&P9's. In my opinion they are the best value in the semi custom 1911 world.

Mr. Smith
05-08-10, 10:22
STI duty one for the money is one of the nicest gun on the market.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/STI%20%20stuff/STIDUTYONEFORSALE.jpg

Here is what they can be with a little love.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/STI%20SNIPER%20COMP%20DUTY%20ONE%2009/sniper19111.jpg

The duty one in this pic is one of the examples of what can be done if you like.
We do lots of work in the 1911 world.

maximus83
05-08-10, 10:25
If I were buying a stock 1911 in this price range, I'd check out these 3 options:

Springfield TRP

Dan Wesson Valor (if you can find one--check Gunbroker).

Fusion Firearms 1911: various models (run by Bob Serva, who USED to run Dan Wesson)

VooDoo6Actual
05-08-10, 10:26
MC Operator or TRP

cdunn
05-08-10, 10:28
S&W ,or springfield

maximus83
05-08-10, 10:49
S&W ,or springfield

Good point on S&W. I agree that S&W is an interesting consideration for 1911's, as they are REALLY well made for the price point. The thing that still bugs me, and would probably keep me from buying an S&W 1911, is their external extractor: several serious 1911 guys that I have seen comment on this don't like the idea and don't think it holds up well under heavy usage. There's a thread discussing it over at 10-8 forums. Maybe that will be proven wrong with time, but I wouldn't want to be the guy to find out that S&W's implementation of the external extractor isn't reliable, especially if this is a carry gun.

1oldgrunt
05-08-10, 11:39
There's a guy with a couple DW Valors for sale on GunsAmerica as of this AM. I prefer the valor over the TRP having owned a couple TRP's way more fit/finish for the bucks, it's built under the guidance of Ed Brown with mostly his parts in it. It's virtually a direct copy of his Executive model.
Good luck in your search.

PS NO MIM in these

Mr. Smith
05-08-10, 11:55
The most popular 1911 pistols as far as sales numbers all are filled with MIM parts the STI Duty One is not.
It is not perfect but it is a good place to start.

subzero
05-08-10, 13:25
For that kind of money, I wouldn't be looking at any glorified Loaded models.

That price range, I'd be looking for a used RRA Basic model or a used Baer TRS.

I might could take a flyer on a Dan Wesson Valor, as I've been very impressed with what I've seen of them, even though my time with them has been limited.

What do you know: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=88&t=768193

MarshallDodge
05-08-10, 19:36
Les Baer TRS. You can find slightly them slightly used in your price range and they are built to run.

The Valor and TRP are good choices as well. Be sure to handle a TRP before you make the purchase, the frontstrap checkering is a little sharp for some folks.

Cagemonkey
05-08-10, 20:22
Good point on S&W. I agree that S&W is an interesting consideration for 1911's, as they are REALLY well made for the price point. The thing that still bugs me, and would probably keep me from buying an S&W 1911, is their external extractor: several serious 1911 guys that I have seen comment on this don't like the idea and don't think it holds up well under heavy usage. There's a thread discussing it over at 10-8 forums. Maybe that will be proven wrong with time, but I wouldn't want to be the guy to find out that S&W's implementation of the external extractor isn't reliable, especially if this is a carry gun.You make a good point. I've looked a the 10-8 forums and the posts concerning external extractors are dated. Every other modern auto loading pistol uses an external extractor. From Glocks to S&W M&P's. Also the Browning HP started with an internal extractor and evolved to the external extractor. I find it difficult to understand why the 1911 can't perform reliably with a external extractor. The only issue with the S&W 1911 is the firing pin safety. I removed mine from my pistol. So far so good.

lethal dose
05-08-10, 21:08
Used baer, sti, or Kimber custom covert II... which I love.

Shawn.L
05-08-10, 21:12
I owner a TRP, great gun at that price range. I wont comment on guns I havent personally had enough experiance with, but there seems to be some good options in that range for you.

Dont be afraid to look used. I saw a CQB in the EE here for $1800.

brushy bill
05-08-10, 23:48
The most popular 1911 pistols as far as sales numbers all are filled with MIM parts the STI Duty One is not.
It is not perfect but it is a good place to start.

Mr. Smith,

The FAQ section of the STI website indicates they use MIM (extract below). Is the Duty One different from the others in this regard? Maybe the lower end use them and mid to upper don't?

Nice looking work as always by the way.

QDoes STI use any MIM parts?

AYes. We, like most manufacturers, do but not in any of the "critical" stress or wear components. Our good friend Bob Serva of Fusion Firearms has graciously allowed us to quote his response to this question.

George Pernard
05-08-10, 23:59
Wilson Combat CQB compact. I really like the commander slide officers frame set up like the gunsite CCO's that colt used to make.

Dunderway
05-09-10, 00:36
Buy a beat up Colt S70 or SA Mil-Spec, then send it out to get the bare essentials (sights, trigger, reliability) done by a smith that knows what they are doing with the platform.

HK45
05-09-10, 01:18
I'm much more concerned by their use of a Swartz style safety.

Good point on S&W. I agree that S&W is an interesting consideration for 1911's, as they are REALLY well made for the price point. The thing that still bugs me, and would probably keep me from buying an S&W 1911, is their external extractor: several serious 1911 guys that I have seen comment on this don't like the idea and don't think it holds up well under heavy usage. There's a thread discussing it over at 10-8 forums. Maybe that will be proven wrong with time, but I wouldn't want to be the guy to find out that S&W's implementation of the external extractor isn't reliable, especially if this is a carry gun.

CAVDOC
05-09-10, 08:43
concur with the used les baer idea- in my neck of the woods it is easy to find one in the 1500 or under price range.
Remember even in SA's high end guns many of the parts are made in Brazil. Finish fitting and some parts from U.S. but you are still buying essentially a non American Made 1911,which just seems wrong to me.

G34Shooter
05-09-10, 08:52
He forgot to mention that he's in California so he's limited on his options, so I'd suggest a used Baer.

eternal24k
05-09-10, 08:56
My vote would be the Dan Wesson Valor, I have had nothing but good things to say about mine, absolute steal for the money (my FFL charged me $1,199 but it had a little bit of a wait)
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/valor.jpg?t=1273413358

majette
05-09-10, 09:59
MC Operator or TRP

+1

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/3190/mc45w.jpg

sbiggs
05-09-10, 16:09
I recently was looking for a duty 1911 in the same price range. After much research, went with a TRP Operator. Lucked up and found one NIB on gunbroker for $1400. I have put about 800 rounds through it and have been extremely happy with it.

Mr. Smith
05-09-10, 16:11
Mr. Smith,

The FAQ section of the STI website indicates they use MIM (extract below). Is the Duty One different from the others in this regard? Maybe the lower end use them and mid to upper don't?

Nice looking work as always by the way.

QDoes STI use any MIM parts?

AYes. We, like most manufacturers, do but not in any of the "critical" stress or wear components. Our good friend Bob Serva of Fusion Firearms has graciously allowed us to quote his response to this question.

Thank you for the complament on my work.

I think that all the Duty One pistols that we have dun have had MIM thumb safety's and slide releases.
What i was talking about was the fire control group.

d90king
05-09-10, 18:03
A used Baer with a few hundred rounds through it. A PII or TRS would could be had at your price point.

LandCruiser
05-10-10, 03:57
Add a few hundred on and you could get a used Ed Brown.

Anything from the custom shop of Kimber is gonna be pretty good too and within your budget.