PDA

View Full Version : Is there an FAQ on rail installation/compatibility?

geezerbutler
05-08-10, 10:30
I searched and got nothing.

What I'm looking for is a thread on what brand of rail requires installation of a proprietary barrel nut and those which will work with the stock Colt barrel nut and delta ring, without removal of the FSB.

Say for example the KAC RAS, which is the rail I'm most familiar with uses the factory barrel nut and delta ring.

I guess something like "The Chart" except for rail systems with check marks on the types of things necessary (or not) to install them.

IE:

"requires removal of FSB" (x)

"Install Manufacturer provided barrel nut" (X)

"Uses Factory Barrel Nut"

Thanks

boltcatch
05-08-10, 17:36
You can figure out a lot of that from this -

http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/69016/69058.html

Google also pulls up results for this site, and probably works a good bit better than the forum search tools. :cool:

geezerbutler
05-08-10, 18:06
Thanks, that really contains exactly what I was looking for. It confirms that most rails use their own barrel nut, which ain't happening with a pinned and welded FS. :(

Looks like I'll be sticking with the KAC RAS for those builds

Sparky5019
05-08-10, 18:22
Whatever you like but for me...

LaRue Tactical, 'nuff said.

Sparky

HeavyDuty
05-08-10, 20:12
Thanks, that really contains exactly what I was looking for. It confirms that most rails use their own barrel nut, which ain't happening with a pinned and welded FS. :(

DD Omega uses the stock barrel nut and Delta ring...

crazymoose
05-08-10, 20:17

As has been posted, the DD Omega is an excellent rail, as is the VLTOR CASV. A few other companies also make two-piece free floating rails, but I think the two above mentioned ones are the best.

Merle
05-09-10, 21:35
Troy MRF rails use the stock barrel nut sans the delta ring. Better make sure you like it before cutting off the delta ring on your pinned barel though.

LMTRocks
05-11-10, 15:40
It is entirely possible to put a barrel with a perm. FH already attached. you only have to remove the gas tube.....and it will slide further into the upper receiver once unpinned from the FSB. You can then rotate it slightly and remove it from the upper half. At that point you can take your barrel nut off. Also if the FSB is pinned, you can slide it forward enough to remove the barrel nut but you must take the pins out before doing so. The thing is you're not going to put a different barrel nut on the weapon. If you decide to remove the delta ring cut it off. The TROY MRF rails are strong, and so are Midwest Industries rails. MI seem to cost a little less for the same style of clamping system.