PDA

View Full Version : GLOCK 22, light or no?

BurkeB
05-08-10, 11:06
I've heard all the problems with the 22 with a light mounted on it, and I've read all about the possible solutions, everything up to and including GLOCK's unofficial fix with the Gen. 4. My question isn't so much what can I do to fix it, it's should I even bother.

I have been carrying a 22 with no problems for a couple years now but at my last department qual I was running fine until we got to the 50 yard line. From 50 yards I was shooting real slow with a relaxed grip and I was getting failure to feed 50% to 75% of the time. I took the light (M3X) off and it ran 100%. The failure was the same every time. The round would eject fine and the slide would come to a stop on the next round without stripping it from the mag at all.

It still ran 100% at normal fighting ranges with a normal fighting grip so I have to assume that I was "limp wristing" from the 50. This is my department gun and even though I'm a department armorer I don't think I'm going to get much traction trying to get this problem addressed (our rangemaster saw my malfunctions and said "yea that's real common with a light attached, you're limp wristing it")

I'm not going to be with this PD for too much longer anyway (moving) so I'm really looking at this as a temporary problem. What I'm wondering is, would you guys recommend I just ditch the light all together, or carry it and assume that if I have to use it on the street it will function for me like it does when I shoot normally?

Any input is appreciated.

-burke

Robb Jensen
05-08-10, 11:10
Glock 22 Gen 3 (be careful with a light mounted)
Glock 22 Gen 4 (no trouble with a light mounted)
Glock 35 Gen 3 (no trouble with a light mounted)

skyugo
05-08-10, 11:57
doesnt' running the latest mag springs and followers help with the light issue? :confused:
a new recoil spring may be of aid too. basically i think the slide outruns the magazine's ability to feed.

has anyone had any luck adding a wolf extra power recoil spring to make the 40 glocks run with a light? :confused:

operator81
05-08-10, 12:07
I've never had an issue with a light mounted. Bought my first G22 NIB in 2004 and ran it for over 5000 rounds with a Surefire X200. Never a hiccup. I recently purchased a G22 RTF2 and have used it with a Streamlight TLR2s, no issues. This was using a variety of different magazine followers. I'd say if you're wary about running the light, pick up a Gen4. Otherwise just test the piss out of whatever platform you're running. Updating your mag followers and mag springs might be a fix.

The issues you described sounded more user induced due to the lighter grip.