PDA

View Full Version : Appendix Carry: One or Two Loops?

Lucky Strike
05-09-10, 09:47
Looking into trying AIWB as I've always been a 4:00 guy and never really considered it until reading a bunch of threads here lately.

Wanting to get one just to try it out for either my Service size XD w/ chopped subcompact grip or my new P30.

I notice that there are basically two styles, the one loop setup where the loop is over the gun like the CCC Looper (which unfortunately they're not taking any new orders) and the two loop kind like the Raven ACR.

Just wondering what the pros/cons were for the two types

Also with AIWB what aspect of the gun is the "limiting factor" for comfort/printing....with 4:00 it is the length of the grip (hence the grip chop on my XD), the slide length isn't much of an issue.

With AIWB it seems to me never having tried it that slide length would be more important then grip length but I don't know....basically I'm trying to figure out which of my two CCW semi-autos to buy the test AIWB holster for. My XD has a shorter grip but the P30 will have a shorter slide and be little thinner.

Magsz
05-09-10, 10:19
Ive carried both ways and i prefer the ACR.

Granted, the one loop holster that i had wasnt exactly the greatest piece of gear on the planet but the overall design was fairly sound so the concept was true to form but the finished design wasnt quite...there...

I like the ACR because for me, it prevents the pistol from rotating in either direction.

With a properly designed wider single loop and a good belt the pistol WILL stay mounted up solid.

Whether you go for a one loop design or something akin to the ACR is up to you as i believe this is purely personal preference based around comfort for the end user. No one design is better than the other as far as i am concerned.

Ive only been carrying with the ACR for about a month and a half so long term durability on the double loop setup is still up in the air.

Buy a quality one loop designed holster and you will be very pleased.

Lucky Strike
05-09-10, 10:44
does either of the two styles work better if the user has a bit of a gut? If so that may be a deciding factor for me :cool:

Magsz
05-09-10, 10:52
I dont really know.

Im in the process of losing alot of weight so right now i dont have THAT much stomach fat although its still present. Ive pinched myself once or twice in the re holstering procedure which sucked a fat one...har...pun intended.

Appendix MAY not be the best carry method for people with larger stomachs as the stomach will push the pistol butt outwards.

I say that carry method is largely dictated by body type. As i lose more weight the last reserves of fat to come off of my body are my love handles. Carrying at 3 o'clock wasnt really working for me because on the draw i was always grabbing waist fat.

I transitioned to appendix carry and ease of access to the pistol increased dramatically.

The best (or worst depending on your reading comprehension levels and dedication to safety) suggestion i can make is to go ahead and CLEAR YOUR PISTOL, REMOVE ALL AMMO FROM THE ROOM YOU ARE IN and place the pistol in your waistband ala mexican carry style. If you're unable to access the pistol or it feels uncomfortable on the butt end you're most likely not going to like appendix carry. Adding a holster does very little to increase comfort in the appendix carry position. Its more for ease of access, safety and retention.

Please for the love of god be safe.

ER_STL
05-09-10, 11:23
As has been said, one wide loop should keep the holster in place, provided that it fits well to the belt. Otherwise two loops is the way to go. I have a leather holster with a single clip and it allows the holster to move around quite a bit. It does aid in comfort since the gun will usually move into the "sweet" spot between the thigh and groin when bending over but it's not ideal for drawing the gun.

The length from the tip of the muzzle to the top of the tang is the key measurement for AIWB. My M&P can be quite painful when carried this way since its beavertail becomes a sharp point into my stomach when I bend over. My G19 - which is smaller and which lacks the beavertail - isn't nearly as much of an issue.

Honestly, the best way to see if it's right for you is to buy a cheap nylon holster and try it out. If you like it you can buy a better holster and commit to that method of carry; if you don't you're only out $10 or so.

EDIT: A few more points...

- Stomach fat can aid in discomfort. It also pushes the grip of the gun out and increases printing. Wider shoulders and chest plus thinner waist equals comfortable and concealable AIWB all day long with larger guns.

- It's best to be even more careful when reholstering. I'm in the minority in that I don't worry too much about one-handed reholstering and I consider it more of an administrative task. Thus I do it deliberately and ensure that the trigger isn't catching on anything.

I moved to AIWB back in 2007 and never looked back. For me it's more concealable, comfortable and secure. I don't print when I bend over and I don't worry about people bumping into the grip in tighter areas. I also find it more accessible under a variety of conditions.

javentre
05-09-10, 13:40
If you're on the fence, get the ACR and the single loop attachment. Try them both!

http://www.themalabarfront.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=8&products_id=1603

Cazwell
05-09-10, 20:11
Where are you guys ordering the ACR? It's not on the raven concealment page, and I could order it from the MCS site either.

I would like to try one.

1911sforever
05-10-10, 07:27
If you buy the ACR, I strongly suggest you order spare parts at the same time.

Great holster, but requires more maintenance than others I've owned.

VolGrad
05-10-10, 07:37
Another consideration in the 1 vs 2 loop decision is belt loop placement. I have a couple of AIWB holsters that have a single loop ... one is a RGrizzle Southern Sidekick for a LCP and another is the AIWB from Aholster. The SS has a Kydex clip attached to a leather holster body. This one places quite easily. The Aholster is a wide kydex tunnel loop and it is sometimes difficult to place depending on where my belt loops are. I have a couple of pairs of pants I simply can't wear the Aholster with because of this. Shame too as I prefer that holster over the SS. Don't get me wrong ... they are both great but I prefer the kydex holster body.

I have a Shaggy on order from CCC for a G19. It should ship this week. It has two loops. I expect with 2 thin loops I will be able to place it easily where I want.