PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a Summer Workshop

Jay Cunningham
05-09-10, 14:46
So far we've had great success with our Winter and Spring gatherings. Both of these have been two-day affairs, but for this summer I was considering a one-day workshop.

Seems like most can make Saturday, but lots have issues with Sunday. Instead of doing a two-day, I was thinking about a full (very full) one-day Saturday only.

Thoughts?

orionz06
05-09-10, 16:24
Not to stray from the carbine (on M4C), but I really want to get my handgun skills in order. A one day session fits my summer very well.

Any ideas on location?

Jay Cunningham
05-09-10, 16:36
I had a couple of ideas in mind, but the one I thought most appropriate was a One Day Pistol Accuracy and Speed Workshop.

Location can possibly be at Forest Grove, Phil's (if he is amenable to it) or possibly a police range near Marietta, OH.

orionz06
05-09-10, 16:37
That sounds like a great idea. As far as any coordination, if you need help lemme know.

jasonb
05-09-10, 18:07
I may be able to arrange for a day at Mapleton Gun Club in the East Canton area. Let me know. And with that comes the possibility of using our target stands, but I would have to talk to the training commander.

Aray
05-09-10, 21:17
I think that would be a very good thing. I like the idea of one day better than 2, because my wife does.:rolleyes:

I also like the topic as long as it's Speed and Accuracy

Jay Cunningham
05-10-10, 02:07
I also like the topic as long as it's Speed and Accuracy

You know how I love to blast the berm. ;)

oakmax
05-10-10, 05:42
Low light?¿

Jay Cunningham
05-10-10, 05:47
Low light?¿

The middle of summer is a bad time to do a low light. Fall is a much better choice.

macnamara
05-10-10, 07:11
I'd be interested in this if there's room for a new shooter.

Jay Cunningham
05-10-10, 12:39
I'd be interested in this if there's room for a new shooter.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of this, there *would not* be room for brand new shooters. I would require certain prerequisites for this - the reason being that we would be skipping over a lot of stuff that we have already covered in the first two gatherings, in order to maximize the training day.

Nothing personal, hope you can understand where I'm coming from on this.

macnamara
05-10-10, 12:41
Not a problem.

Nathan_Bell
05-10-10, 13:41
Unfortunately, due to the nature of this, there *would not* be room for brand new shooters. I would require certain prerequisites for this - the reason being that we would be skipping over a lot of stuff that we have already covered in the first two gatherings, in order to maximize the training day.

Nothing personal, hope you can understand where I'm coming from on this.

Might want to look at doing a one day basic pistol as well, then a one day carbine. Doing all day of one discipline does fry folks more, but if only doing it for one day might work.

Shawn.L
05-10-10, 16:08
I could be game.

Jay Cunningham
05-10-10, 18:41
Might want to look at doing a one day basic pistol as well, then a one day carbine. Doing all day of one discipline does fry folks more, but if only doing it for one day might work.

Not a bad idea at all.

1911pro
05-11-10, 18:55

I would be up for this if I can make the list of those allowed to attend.

eo500
05-11-10, 19:50
I'd be interested any training/ get-together you decide on depending on the date.

Jay Cunningham
05-11-10, 19:57
August 7th, 14th, or 21st would work best for me.

Gutshot John
05-11-10, 20:19
I'm in.

orionz06
05-11-10, 20:35
I can commit to any of those dates with more preference to the 7th.

Shawn.L
05-12-10, 02:51
August 7th, 14th, or 21st would work best for me.

14th only.

to be fair though, if we all start picking dates that rarely goes well. TK, if your taking charge, just pick a date based on whatever criteria you decide. No one date will normally work for everyone, nice if it does though.

eo500
05-12-10, 09:09
The 7th is the best for me

sewvacman
05-13-10, 21:47
I made it to the winter group but had to bow out of the spring meet. Is this enough training to make it to this one or must I have attended both sessions? I can do any of those dates.

Jay Cunningham
05-13-10, 22:43
Whenever we get a date and a location, I'll then make the determination regarding experience levels on a case-by-case basis.

thopkins22
05-14-10, 00:24
Getting a post in edgewise here, because I'll be in WV in August and may have the opportunity to disappear for a couple of days.;)

Jay Cunningham
05-14-10, 00:39
Getting a post in edgewise here, because I'll be in WV in August and may have the opportunity to disappear for a couple of days.;)

If the old lady lets you!

eagle5
05-14-10, 15:33
My vote would be for the 14th or 21st, but not the 7th.

thopkins22
05-14-10, 16:06
If the old lady lets you!

Pretty much the long and short of it.

AR-15Tom
05-15-10, 08:43
I would also like to attend if I qualify.

jasonb
05-15-10, 08:47
My vote would be for the 14th or 21st, but not the 7th.

Same here. 7th is bad for me.

huklbrry
05-15-10, 20:36
I would also like to attend if I qualify.

same here. any of those dates are good for me.

Jay Cunningham
05-21-10, 19:07
August 7th is definitely out.

cfrazier
05-22-10, 00:20
TK

Able to use the department range on the 21st.

Jay Cunningham
05-23-10, 22:10
TK

Able to use the department range on the 21st.

Thanks for the generous offer!

:D

Complication
06-06-10, 22:36
I'm probably going to be in WV with an old high school buddy of mine during the first or second week of August. But he'd definitely be pumped to get a little training so I'm game for whenever.

jjw
06-10-10, 10:27
Why dont u use the Greensport range s.e of Canton in Waco Ohio. it has more than about any place i go and i see a LOT of ranges around the country doing trg. i can think of 7-8 people here it is close to.

Bill Bird would like let us use it for a small amount for the day. u could call and ask or i will, if u want.

has all of the following

steel plate pit for pistol shooting for 15 or so shooters

rifle range form 25 yds too 300 with some steel on the long range.

jungle lane for abut anything

all the target stands and stuff to do a proper trg or school.

all the facilities including porta potties, trg room and a lunch truck that can happen also. nothing better i know of.

this is centrally located and easy to use. also we run a hot range at all our classes and the owner is good with it, if the people are qualified. if a particular person is new or uncomfortable he just clears when he is thru shooting, and we move on.

big rifle - pistol match there Sunday the 13Th of June. come out and See for yourself. many of us will be there.

a1ctesta
06-13-10, 09:36
Hello i just came across this part of the website and i am very interested to meet and shoot woth everyone around the area. I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Dan and i am a new owner of an m4 and was looking for people to start shooting with.

macnamara
06-13-10, 09:50
Welcome Dan. Check out the intro thread located here and post an intro with your location, etc:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=652454#post652454

Shawn.L
06-20-10, 15:43
any movement on this ?

Blake
07-10-10, 10:24
I would be more than willing to help out or participate as long as it isn't the 14th. I have to travel out of state that day. Would love to get together with some local shooters, as I'm very new to the area.

wedgehead30
07-11-10, 15:19
Just want to second what B.L. said, Greenport Tactical is a great facility. http://http://www.gta.dynalias.org/ (http://www.gta.dynalias.org/)

I'm the current president of the club so I've got a pretty good idea of what's going on schedule wise. Our calendar is wide open for August. I have a 3-gun scheduled for the end of July and a 4-gun in September. So pretty much any weekend is available. We have the perfect set-up for just about any type of pistol training

I don't know who's running the show here as far as the one day class is concerned. But if you're interested in using the range get in touch with me at: sdenniss@att.net

We can figure out exactly what is needed and I can approach the property owner about it. He has final say but he's usually very accommodating.

Scott

Jay Cunningham
07-11-10, 17:07
Just want to second what B.L. said, Greenport Tactical is a great facility. http://http://www.gta.dynalias.org/ (http://www.gta.dynalias.org/)

I'm the current president of the club so I've got a pretty good idea of what's going on schedule wise. Our calendar is wide open for August. I have a 3-gun scheduled for the end of July and a 4-gun in September. So pretty much any weekend is available. We have the perfect set-up for just about any type of pistol training

I don't know who's running the show here as far as the one day class is concerned. But if you're interested in using the range get in touch with me at: sdenniss@att.net

We can figure out exactly what is needed and I can approach the property owner about it. He has final say but he's usually very accommodating.

Scott

Please drop me a line at jay@thekatar.net

07-12-10, 15:52
Just moved to West, by God, Virginia. If a date/place can be finalized, count me in. Glad to assist in any way needed.

rsgard
07-12-10, 15:56
Im game if i can get my rifle pieced together by then.

wedgehead30
07-12-10, 19:56
Please drop me a line at jay@thekatar.net

You have mail!

Wedge

Jay Cunningham
07-12-10, 19:59
You have mail!

Wedge

Got it- will get back to you shortly.

Guys, I am still trying to get a one day workshop organized... maybe 10 or 11 hours on a Saturday. I have a couple ideas in mind:

Marksmanship Fundamentals Workshop
Accuracy With Speed Workshop
Murphy's Law Manipulations Workshop

Let me know the interest level.

T_K

orionz06
07-12-10, 20:19
If the skill level is such that I am able to participate, accuracy with speed is my preference, although if there was a better way to prepare for upcoming events, I would lean that way.

wedgehead30
07-12-10, 20:25
Got it- will get back to you shortly.

Guys, I am still trying to get a one day workshop organized... maybe 10 or 11 hours on a Saturday. I have a couple ideas in mind:

Marksmanship Fundamentals Workshop
Accuracy With Speed Workshop
Murphy's Law Manipulations Workshop

Let me know the interest level.

T_K

Accuracy with speed gets my vote. But it also limits the participants accordingly.

Wedge

Jay Cunningham
07-12-10, 20:29
One additional option would be a one day Quirks of the Kalashnikov Workshop.

landrvrnut22
07-12-10, 21:01
Markmanship fundamentals sounds interesting. There is never anything wrong with getting back to basics.

Complication
07-12-10, 21:26
TK, The "quirks" idea brought something to mind...

Last time it seemed like the majority of folks were running Glocks or M&Ps. Despite that fact (and perhaps because of it) I'd be interested in a short familiarization with whatever armament people bring--sort of a "battlefield pickup" type thing. I'm not really interested in shooting every gun people bring but I wouldn't mind familiarizing myself with the controls of different pistols.

I can't imagine it would take too long and it could be tacked on at the end of the day or lunch or whatnot (although having it worked into the schedule and supervised, making sure everyone's guns were empty would be the safe way to do it).

Thoughts on that? Good idea/bad idea/not enough time/etc.?

Jay Cunningham
07-12-10, 21:28
TK, The "quicks" idea brought something to mind...

Last time it seemed like the majority of folks were running Glocks or M&Ps. Despite that fact (and perhaps because of it) I'd be interested in a short familiarization with whatever armament people bring--sort of a "battlefield pickup" type thing. I'm not really interested in shooting every gun people bring but I wouldn't mind familiarizing myself with the controls of different pistols.

I can't imagine it would take too long and it could be tacked on at the end of the day or lunch or whatnot (although having it worked into the schedule and supervised, making sure everyone's guns were empty would be the safe way to do it).

Thoughts on that? Good idea/bad idea/not enough time/etc.?

My Murphy's Law Workshop would contain this element.

Complication
07-13-10, 08:59
My Murphy's Law Workshop would contain this element.

Sounds like perhaps the most valuable workshop anyone can run.

Jay Cunningham
07-13-10, 12:42
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=58030

Poll generated to gauge interest.

mkemmerl
07-16-10, 08:56
Has the date for this been decided? I don't want to vote in the poll unless I can attend.

Jay Cunningham
07-18-10, 19:57
Probably August 21st.

orionz06
07-18-10, 20:01
I will refrain from voting as the 21st is a date I cannot do.

Shawn.L
07-18-10, 20:02
the bad news: I'll be in class with Randy Cain that weekend
the good news: I'll be in class with Randy Cain that weekend !!!

have fun guys !

Jay Cunningham
08-05-10, 15:42
Sorry but it looks like this isn't going to happen. I will probably offer it as a formal class sometime in the future.

mkemmerl
08-05-10, 21:06
Since TK is out, is there any interest in an informal gathering on the same date? Maybe an afternoon of practice and BS'ing?

I'm a novice, but I'm always up for being embarassed by better shooters and meeting some new people.