PDA

View Full Version : TX - 3rd Grader gets 1 week detention for piece of candy.

Irish
05-09-10, 15:02
This is along the same lines as suspending kids for having a GI Joe gun at school and wearing American flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo. The idiots are in charge. VIDEO HERE: http://www.khou.com/news/Candy-Gets-Third-Grader-A-Weeks-Detention-93033319.html#

ORCHARD, Texas – A third-grader at Brazos Elementary was given a week’s detention for possessing a Jolly Rancher.

School officials in Brazos County are defending the seemingly harsh sentence. The school’s principal and superintendent said they were simply complying with a state law that limits junk food in schools.

But the girl’s parents say it’s a huge overreaction.

“I think it’s stupid to give a kid a week’s worth of detention for a piece of candy,” said Amber Brazda, the girl’s mother. "The whole thing was just ridiculous to me."

Leighann Adair, 10, was eating lunch Monday when a teacher confiscated the candy. Her parents said she was in tears when she arrived home later that afternoon and handed them the detention notice.

According to the disciplinary referral, she would be separated from other students during lunch and recess through Friday.

Jack Ellis, the superintendent for Brazos Independent School District, declined an on-camera interview. But he said the school was abiding by a state guideline that banned “minimal nutrition” foods.

“Whether or not I agree with the guidelines, we have to follow the rules,” he said.

The state, however, gives each school discretion over how to enforce the policy. Ellis said school officials had decided a stricter punishment was necessary after lesser penalties failed to serve as a deterrent.

Ellis said failing to adhere to the state’s guidelines could put federal funding in jeopardy.

According to the Texas Department of Agriculture’s website, “The Texas Public School Nutrition Policy (TPSNP) explicitly states that it does not restrict what foods or beverages parents may provide for their own children's consumption.”

Brazos Elementary Principal Jeanne Young, said the problem, in this instance, was that the candy was provided by another student – not the girl’s parents.

The girl’s mother said the incident has taught her daughter a lesson, but not the one her teachers intended.

“I told her, ‘Leighann, unfortunately you’re learning very young that life’s not fair,'” Brazda said.

TAZ
05-09-10, 15:50
Wow. Didn't realize this was in Tx. assumed it was in some other left leaning state. I wonder if they are suspending all the kids eating the rot gut cafeteria swill that they serve. I'd much rather eat Jolly Ranchers than that crap.

I thought the regs on the food were to control what the district served and not what the parents packed for their kids. Hmmm I guess one more well meaning step to hell.

Irish
05-09-10, 15:58
I guess one more well meaning step to hell.

The zero tolerance policies that have been enacted and enforced are asinine.

TAZ
05-09-10, 16:05
Zero tolerance= zero thinking= zero responsibility= zero accountability. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

austinN4
05-09-10, 16:10
I thought the regs on the food were to control what the district served and not what the parents packed for their kids. Hmmm I guess one more well meaning step to hell.
From the OP - "According to the Texas Department of Agriculture’s website, “The Texas Public School Nutrition Policy (TPSNP) explicitly states that it does not restrict what foods or beverages parents may provide for their own children's consumption.”

TAZ
05-09-10, 16:55
From the OP - "According to the Texas Department of Agriculture’s website, “The Texas Public School Nutrition Policy (TPSNP) explicitly states that it does not restrict what foods or beverages parents may provide for their own children's consumption.”

So then what right did the school or district have to discipline the child? Assumably none and they should be getting the crap sued out of them.

austinN4
05-09-10, 17:00
So then what right did the school or district have to discipline the child? Assumably none and they should be getting the crap sued out of them.
So it would seem.

glocktogo
05-10-10, 21:33
You're seriously telling me that a school gave a child a weeks detention for failing to refuse a piece of candy? Perhaps the school administrators should be given a weeks detention for wasting oxygen! :mad:

Spoon
05-10-10, 21:49
Wow thats beyond insane for a piece of candy.

JSantoro
05-10-10, 23:48
The parents should sue, if for no other reason than stupidity should beget more stupidity.

mnagant762
05-11-10, 04:09
No they shouldn't sue, just give the girl a bag of Jolly Ranchers and a slingshot and line up the rule makers and let her have at it. :)

Irish
05-11-10, 09:34
No they shouldn't sue, just give the girl a bag of Jolly Ranchers and a slingshot and line up the rule makers and let her have at it. :)

Then she'd be charged with assault with a deadly weapon... although I do like your suggestion ;)

Alex V
05-11-10, 10:42

lol I like it!

This is just nuts... I think every kid in school should come to lunch, open up a HUGE bag of M&Ms and go to town!