PDA

View Full Version : Home invasion scam

mnoe82
05-09-10, 19:52
These people are friends of my parents and this happened about 10 miles from my house.

A terrifying reality: Father featured on TV show kills one of three who tried to invade his home
By Robert Moore, Tribune Staff Writer
Citizen Tribune
5/8/2010 11:15:49 PM

An alleged female decoy for a pair of heavily armed home-invasion robbers was shot dead early Saturday morning outside the West Hamblen County home of a family featured on a television reality show, authorities say.

Hamblen County Sheriff Esco Jarnagin identified the woman as Holly Ann Repasky, a 29-year-old from Knoxville.

Scott Knight, who lives with his wife, Penny and three children, survived an assault-weapon barrage uninjured and fired the shot that killed the woman, according to Jarnagin.

Jarnagin says he considers the fatal shooting in the Timbercrest subdivision to be a clear-cut case of justifiable homicide.

"Scott Knight is to be commended for a job well done in protecting himself and his family because the law does provide that a man has a right to protect his home," Jarnagin said.

The .22-caliber bullet hit Repasky in the upper-left chest area, and she died as a result of blood loss within two minutes, Jarnagin says.

The sheriff says investigators haven’t ruled out the possibility that Knight hit at least one of the other alleged home-invasion robbers.

Some time after the 1:30 a.m. exchange of gunfire in Hamblen County, a black male walked into the Knoxville St. Mary’s Hospital emergency room for treatment of a small-caliber gunshot wound to his abdomen.

Knight described the men who allegedly attempted to force their way into his home as black males. The injured man, who reportedly was gravely wounded, underwent surgery Saturday afternoon, according to the sheriff.

Jarnagin says the man was under police guard, and Hamblen County detectives traveled to Knoxville in hopes of further developing leads.

The Knights were featured on "The World’s Strictest Parents," a Country Music Television reality show on which hard-to-handle teens lived in their home.

Mr. Knight’s wife, Penny, is a probation officer for the Hamblen County Juvenile Court system, and the Knights have taken in troubled teens as foster children for several years.

The sheriff says detectives are considering all potential factors in their investigation.

Jarnagin says he can’t rule out the possibility that the Knights’ appearance on the television show made them targets.

The sheriff also couldn’t rule out grudges that emerged through Mrs. Knight’s job or fouled relationships with former foster children.

A 17-year-old foster child ran away from the Knights’ home in March and had not been located by Friday afternoon, officials say.

The series of events that led to the shooting began when Repasky appeared at the Knights’ front door, falsely representing she was having car trouble and needed help, according to Jarnagin.

Mr. Knight was suspicious about the complaint lodged by an out-of-town woman in a residential neighborhood.

Knight retrieved the handgun from his bedroom before asking further about the specific nature of the problem, according to the sheriff.

When Knight returned to his front door, the two black males allegedly attempted to force their way inside, Jarnagin said. At that point, one or both of the men opened fire with assault weapons, the sheriff said.

Knight returned fire.

After their accomplice was fatally wounded, the two men fled a in a white compact car, a vehicle that could have been missing one hubcap.

Jarnagin says crime-scene technicians recovered a total of 11 to 13 shell casings.

Assault-rifle shell casings logged as evidence reportedly matched bullets recovered from the Knights’ home, according to the sheriff.

District Attorney General C. Berkeley Bell Jr. says a Hamblen County jury weighs evidence in all violent homicides. Jarnagin says he feels confident that Mr. Knight will be found blameless.

Bell says that in some jurisdictions, prosecutors have sought felony-murder indictments for suspects whose alleged accomplices have died during the commission of a crime.

The district attorney says that’s never been his policy.

Bell says that he’s sought felony-murder indictments only in cases where victims — not perpetrators — lost their lives.

Irish
05-09-10, 20:02
Good post with some good info, glad everything worked out OK. You should post a link for others ;)

kry226
05-09-10, 20:35
Concur. Great job for someone defending his family and home! But I have to ask, why does it seem that everyone is defending their homes these days with a .22?

Of course, more bad news for "assault rifles" as they only belong to criminals. :rolleyes:

Moon Doggie
05-09-10, 21:12
Glad he had the "Feeling" and went and retrieved a weapon, I always go to the door carrying and look out first.
I hope they find a connection on how they chose this house, if there is one

rrpederson
05-09-10, 21:22
man, im glad that whole thing turned out ok. good job to that guy.

mnoe82
05-10-10, 06:24
Good post with some good info, glad everything worked out OK. You should post a link for others ;)

http://www.citizentribune.com/news/view_sections.asp?idcategory=47&idarticle=15175

mnoe82
05-10-10, 06:25
Concur. Great job for someone defending his family and home! But I have to ask, why does it seem that everyone is defending their homes these days with a .22?

Worked out pretty well for him! I would prefer something larger myself, but the results speak for themself.

mnoe82
05-10-10, 06:31
Glad he had the "Feeling" and went and retrieved a weapon, I always go to the door carrying and look out first.
I hope they find a connection on how they chose this house, if there is one

I haven't spoken with him directly, but according to my folks the girl was probably was one of the foster kids they had helped out through the years. These are genuinely good people. My opinion is that the girl saw her former foster parents on TV and thought "They must be rich cause they were on TV!". She then tells her boyfriend about it and they are on their way to get some easy money.

QuietShootr
05-10-10, 06:51

I was just recently told that that was paranoid :rolleyes:

M4arc
05-10-10, 07:05
Good for Mr. Knight!

John_Wayne777
05-10-10, 07:28
I haven't spoken with him directly, but according to my folks the girl was probably was one of the foster kids they had helped out through the years.

...and that's not at all uncommon. The list of people I know personally who have been victimized because out of compassion they tried to assist various "at risk" individuals is too long to recount. Charity is a magnificent thing and I believe in it firmly...but I also believe that you help people with one hand while keeping the other on your gun.

I was just recently told that that was paranoid :rolleyes:

Mmm-hmm. Having actually experienced one of these ambush attempts (which was aborted once the bad guys figured out that my Glock beat the piss out of their Easton baseball bat) I've learned that you're not paranoid if they're really out to get you. ;)