PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning rod choice

skyrider
05-09-10, 23:36
I read the AR 15 sticky and found it informative with some good tips. What about the choice of a one-piece rod...stainless, coated stainless (with plastic I guess??), or carbon fiber? The local shops I've been to only have the stainless or carbon, I can't find a coated rod other than online. Although about $10 more, it seems the carbon fiber rod would present the least potential for gouging something.

Thanks, Sky

devildogljb
05-09-10, 23:59
i would go carbon fiber rod but thats just my opinion

hickuleas
05-10-10, 00:43
Another vote for carbon fiber. And don't forget to use a bore guide.

OTO27
05-10-10, 01:56
I use the dewey coated rods, works great, well worth the money. A guide is a nice thing to have, but if you are short on $, you can defenetly go without, as long as your rod is coated or carbon.

Cold Zero
05-10-10, 06:46
I like a Dewey rod and bore guide.

Artos
05-10-10, 08:24
I use the one piece stainless from pro shot...the lucas bore guide is top notch.

lt211
05-10-10, 20:08
The Dewey rods are great and I use the Sinclair AR-15 Rod guide. When I started using the Rod guide I realized I should have started way back. Its amazing, makes cleaning so much easier and safer too!

Avenger29
05-10-10, 23:51
Also one tip: pull the brush and patches (run the rod through and then attach your implements) instead of trying to push them down the bore. I never thought of trying it until someone on another board suggested it, and then it hit me how stupid I was in pushing instead of pulling.

oef24
05-11-10, 00:01
Check out BoreTech or Tipton. My Dewey rods all have the protective coating stripped. I think better options have come along in the past few years since the original Dewey rods came out.

O

Blankwaffe
05-11-10, 02:47
I prefer the Dewey coated rods.One in .22cal. and .30cal. pretty much takes care of the majority of my weapons.The big bore stuff .45 cal. and up I use the shotgun rod.
Ive been using the same rods for over a decade,so Im not real sure how one would do excessive damage to the coating on the rod.That said,I shot benchrest for almost twenty years,so my bore cleaning is delicate and surgical....at least so Im told from those around me.
As mentioned above,try pulling the rod from chamber to muzzle rather than pushing.Might try using a muzzle protector as well as it will help guide the rod.
Ive gota cone shaped muzzle guide that came from Kleene bore for next to nothing that works well with the FH's.

Quiet-Matt
05-11-10, 04:39
I have an old aluminum rod that i've been using for about 15 years now. I cut off the handle and rounded and polished the tip. I insert it from the chamber end and always pull my brushes and patches from chamber to muzzle. This saves having to thread and un-thread the jig each time, and the rod only travels in the direction of a projectile. I believe it started as a $7 Hoppe's 3 peice .22cal rod. I only use 2 sections for carbines. The aluminum is soft enough not to harm the crown, and I can go over the rod every once in a while with some fine steel wool to clean it up. I wipe it off after each pass to clean it and check for rough spots before re-inserting it.

BiggerStick47
05-11-10, 07:47
I like Dewey rods too.

oef24
05-11-10, 21:40
I am not that careful with the Dewey rods and have stripped the black coating on them. Dewey says it will not hurt the barrel and I continue to use them. If I had to purchase a new one, I would buy a carbon fiber Tipton or a Boretech.

kalibos
05-11-10, 22:08
has anyone tried this one:

http://www.deweyrods.com/cgi-bin/ccp5/cp-app.cgi?usr=DEWEY27109&pg=prod&ref=ar15fieldkit&cat=KITS&catstr=HOME:KITS

blackboar
05-11-10, 22:30
As opposed to the rod, how about the Otis kits? That's all I've used to clean the barrel of my colt.

Moose-Knuckle
05-12-10, 07:35
I prefer the Kleen Bore Saf-T-Clad rods. I keep the sectioned rod in my kit.

http://secure.armorholdings.com/kleen-bore/saftcladkits.html

120mm
05-12-10, 11:06
So, is it a bad thing if I consider the next round in the magazine to be my cleaning rod?;)