PDA

View Full Version : Next shoot?

Josh-L
05-10-10, 08:53
So when are we going to get together and shoot?

Josh-L
05-15-10, 12:27
Geez guys this is M4C not OSA. I thought ya'll liked to shoot....

LOKNLOD
05-15-10, 15:10
Dude you know we don't go shooting around here, we just like to post pictures in the "shiny new guns" thread and see which new piece of gear we need to buy to look like Costa this week. :p

Seriously though - like we talked about last week, I think heading out to OKCGC on a weekday evening may be our best bet. The weekends seem to be just too full lately.

Any particular day of the week that works better than others?

Josh-L
05-15-10, 20:09
Maybe if we let people know that Costa has shot on our range people would come just so they could say they've shot on the same range? lol

My days off rotate every week. I get off at 3pm though and could be there jock'd up at 330. Fridays would prob. be best since the wife won't have to worry about getting ready for work the next day and take care of the kiddo while I'm gone.

LOKNLOD
05-15-10, 21:08
I'm (supposed to be) off every other Friday - those work well for me and I can be out there anytime then. The 28th will be my next one.

I guess we'll just have to set a date to go out and then see who else we can get to show up...

Further thoughts:
Would it be worthwhile to plan ahead and provide some more structure to the sessions? Say one week we work through drills related to reloads with the rifle. Or malfunction drills. Or drawstroke and pressout with the pistol.
Honestly I wouldn't claim to be qualified to teach a brick how to sink (actually if you've seen me attempt swimming that's probably the one thing I am qualified on) but if we have a few pairs of eyes we can help each other work through our issues.

Everybody -- what would you like to spend an afternoon working on?

Josh-L
05-16-10, 08:51
Yeah I think it should be more structured. I have some ideas. We just need to set a date and whoever shows up shows up. I work the 28th but could be there by 330.

bratch
05-16-10, 09:35
Fridays usually will work for me depending on how many brownie points I've used up on other stuff. I get off at 11:30 on Fridays so afternoons shoud be available to shoot.

The 28 is probably no good for me but maybe next time.

LOKNLOD
05-17-10, 16:01
Yeah I think it should be more structured. I have some ideas. We just need to set a date and whoever shows up shows up. I work the 28th but could be there by 330.

What kind of ideas?

I say we go for it. We're not going to get anything going if we don't just do it... I don't see anything else on the calendar that would interfere that day. It is the day after that Tom Givens shotgun class, if you're going to that still. I should be off all day so I can even get out there early to set up targets or something if needed so we can start shooting quicker.

Josh-L
05-17-10, 16:29
I was thinking if we started doing something just once a month hopefully we could get something good going. We could structure it to be pistol only one month then rifle only then maybe a combo day. I have compiled a decent folder of various drills I've been working on for almost a year. Most are around the 50 round range and can be used for rifle or pistol. I searched for drills that would give me about an hour of training (by myself) and not cost me a lot in ammo. I can afford 50 rounds of ammo to burn a month. If we can get a steady program going we can do more if we want too or less and fo a tactics based training day maybe.

Josh-L
05-17-10, 17:39
Forgot to add... Most of the drills only require one target. Some use two or three though. They also are to be used on idpa/ipsc style targets. I also have charts that go with just about all of them too so you can track your progress. Only thing i don't have is targets. I'm out.

LOKNLOD
05-21-10, 22:35
Next Friday - we still on?

LOKNLOD
05-22-10, 21:03
Pistol sounds good. I think I'll have a new AR doo-dad to try out, and get your opinion on, but that can be a side-bar.

PRDATOR
05-22-10, 23:29
Don't know if I could make it by 3:30 but I'll try.. I've got a bunch of target stands that I can bring.

Josh-L
05-23-10, 07:30
Does anyone have some pistol dummy rounds or snap caps? I have a neat drill that makes you do a t/r/bang.

PRDATOR
05-23-10, 08:41
Does anyone have some pistol dummy rounds or snap caps? I have a neat drill that makes you do a t/r/bang.

I've got 9mm and 40's don't have man but proly enough.
How man do you think you'd need?

Josh-L
05-23-10, 09:07
Just one would work. I think we all shoot 9 too.

LOKNLOD
05-23-10, 09:56
I have a bunch of homemade 9mm dummy rounds too...

Josh-L
05-23-10, 11:47
Ok then. Y'all come up with a round count and I will organize the drills around that. I'm thinkng with three or four people 100 rounds is a good target to work around. That would leave us some play time at the end before we split.

LOKNLOD
05-23-10, 12:44
100 rounds is a good number. It'll be easier to shoot more if we want than to figure out what to skip if we're moving slow.

I don't have any clean IDPA/IPSC targets left, but I've got a ton of cardboard saved up for target backers, and 2 stands I can bring.

I can also run off targets at work (ssshhh) if they fit on a 8.5x11, 8.5x14, or 11x17 size (I use the .pdf's from Todd's site a lot).

Josh-L
05-23-10, 15:11
If we have backers or some shot up idpa targets I guess we can use Magpul targets. I still have a lot of those. I modified most of the drills so that only a zone hits count to make it easy to score and stress accuracy.

LOKNLOD
05-24-10, 08:44
If we have backers or some shot up idpa targets I guess we can use Magpul targets. I still have a lot of those. I modified most of the drills so that only a zone hits count to make it easy to score and stress accuracy.

There's always 8" paper plates and 3x5 cards to simulate the IDPA target zones...

Josh-L
05-25-10, 09:24
So I get to work today and there's a note that our dept meeting was moved to Friday at 3. It's our annual insurance meeting too so it will be at least an hour long.

LOKNLOD
05-27-10, 08:25
I'm going to try and get out there between 3-3:30 regardless. I'll be over on one of the action pistol bays (we usually try for the one with the livery stable mockup when its available). White 4-door Tacoma. I'm planning on mostly shooting pistol but will have my SBR there to test out a new muzzle device...

If anyone else plans on coming, feel free to shoot me a PM if you need my phone # or something. If you're not an OKCGC member, I think we can have 1 guest per member.

LOKNLOD
06-01-10, 13:00
Well, Doc Todd and I had time to run some good pistol drills, like the Press-six (http://pistol-training.com/drills/press-six). When Josh finally got out of his meeting, we burned through a few mags to try out the new BattleComp (http://www.battlecomp.com/) on my SBR.

We need to plan something again soon, try and make this a semi-regular event...

Josh-L
06-04-10, 09:06
Next shoot..... June 18th? Carbine only day?

LOKNLOD
06-04-10, 10:14
Next shoot..... June 18th? Carbine only day?

I work that day, so I couldn't be out until a little later. I should be able to get off at 4:00, depending on work load.

Josh-L
06-04-10, 11:48
So you are off the next Friday the 25th? I work that day but could be there at 330.

LOKNLOD
06-04-10, 11:54
So you are off the next Friday the 25th? I work that day but could be there at 330.

I should be off, but that's a bit far out for me to know what I'll be in the middle of that week. I could be out there by about 4:30 on the 18th - I know what I've got scheduled for that week so if all goes well I'll be pretty free that Friday.

Josh-L
06-04-10, 17:43
Whatever you think dude. If you want to go on the 18th at 430 that's cool. Or we can skip this month and go in July.

Josh-L
06-06-10, 09:41
So here is a .pdf of my favorite training drills with charts to track progress. I am not very good at making charts and if anyone has a better way of doing it I'm all ears and you can send it to me and I'll make a new one. I have a lot more drills but these are the easiest to setup and shoot by yourself and the round counts are good. I do need to add the dot torture drill and Todds 26662 drill which I shoot frequently too. But I figured I'd share this for now for you guys to check out and see if you like any of them for our monthly training days. I "modified" most of them to work for me which is why I wrote modified on there so there may be some variation if you have seen these drills before. Mostly I changed the target or scoring stuff to make it more simple and so I'd only need one type of target. I have all the drills and the original version too if anyone wants them. I scanned them in at work to make it a .pdf so you could download one thing instead of twenty. I print them out and three hole punch it and keep it in a binder.

Edit... doh! It would appear this exceeds the limit of uploads for M4C. If anyone one wants them email me at Josh-L (at) cox.net

LOKNLOD
06-06-10, 16:34
I vote we plan for about 4:30 on the 18th, and then we've still got the 25th as a fallback. A carbine-only day sounds fun :cool:

email inbound on the drills log.

LOKNLOD
06-17-10, 10:05
Still up for this tomorrow?

Josh-L
06-17-10, 13:10
Yep. I think dustinguadner is going to come too. Doc is out of town. I'm gonna get there early and do a little pistol work since I missed last months session.

LOKNLOD
06-17-10, 20:44
Sweet, I plan on making it as well unless all hell breaks loose at work tomorrow (and if it does, at least I'll have my shit in the truck).

Anything in particular I need to come prepared for?

Josh-L
06-18-10, 10:37
Son of a....

I'm a great organizer but suck at participation!

My step dads defibralizer (sp?) went off last night so they may have to take him to the heart hospital to get checked. So I may not be able to make it since I'd have to go pick up my son since my mom watches him.

Josh-L
06-18-10, 13:58
Update... the doc called back and said he did have an "episode" but his defib didn't shock him and he doesn't need to come in. So I'll be there ready to shoot at 430! Unless something else crazy happens....

dustingaunder
06-21-10, 10:38
Fun times were had.

LOKNLOD
06-21-10, 18:47
Glad you made it out, Dustin. Good to meet you (again) and thanks for letting me put a few rounds downrange with the .338 :cool:

dustingaunder
06-21-10, 20:37
I'm glad I could make it out too. I had a lot of fun. It was my pleasure to let you shoot the 338. That's the only way I can really step back and hear the awesomeness of the TITAN.

Josh-L
06-22-10, 07:48
Maybe with more practice y'all will be able to hang with me! J/K I only had better scores cause I can't count my rounds lol.

teamacacia
06-29-10, 08:06
I'm glad I could make it out too. I had a lot of fun. It was my pleasure to let you shoot the 338. That's the only way I can really step back and hear the awesomeness of the TITAN.

Damn you trip to Chicago, I'd love to been with you guys to see the 338.