PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Defensive Handgun Observations

PaulL
05-10-10, 10:36
Yesterday I was out plinking at the in-laws' house and decided to take some shots at their 300 yard target (6'x2') with a few different guns and ammo. I've never done this before and the results were pretty interesting. The target had about 20 feet of sand in front of it so my goal was to try to hit the target first, but at least land it in the sand somewhere. My other goal was to not shoot a cow.

For the 9mm, sight picture was usually right at the top of the target, give or take a foot of slop 'cause 300 yds is a long ass way.

Glock 19 - 115gr FMJ reload, just barely IDPA legal, XS Big Dot sights

Out of 15 rounds, I was able to hit the sand twice. With the same point of aim, some of the rounds (7) would hit the dirt at around 150 yd on the centerline and some (4) would veer off to one side or the other and hit about 30 feet off center at the same distance. 2 rounds weren't track-able and likely went over the target. I suspect my 115 load just isn't heavy enough or moving fast enough for this kind of thing.

Glock 17 - WWB 124gr NATO, stock Glock sights

Shot 17 rounds and 6 hit the sand. The rest took a nose dive at 200-250 yds for some reason. Better than the reloads, though.

Glock 19 - 147gr Federal HST, XS Big Dot sights

Only shot 5 of these 'cause I can hardly find 'em anywhere. One hit the target dead center (blind luck) and the other 4 hit the sand. Goes to show the difference in quality ammo.

Glock 19 - 147gr Winchester Ranger SXT, stock Glock sights

5 of these went downrange and all 5 hit the sand. One was right at the bottom of the target. Again, the higher-end ammo clearly performs better, or at least more consistently.

Glock 21 - Remington UMC 230gr FMJ, Glock factory Meprolight night sights, LE trade-in reconditioned gun

This was the hardest to aim. Shot 5 rounds to get in the ballpark. Point of aim ended up being about 10 feet above the target. The best way to sight it was to put the bottom of the front dot at the top of the rear sight and aim just above the target. Out of 10 rounds, 2 hit the target. One of those was just right of dead center. The other 8 hit all around it, but actually pretty close.

Glock 21 - Remington 230gr Golden Sabre, Glock factory Meprolight night sights, LE trade-in reconditioned gun

Shot 3 rounds with one hit on the target. One went over the top and the third went into the sand just in front of the target. My brother-in-law shot this one and won't shut up about his 33% hit ratio. :rolleyes: :D

FWIW, we shot a fair bit at 50 yards with these guns and ammo and were able to get very consistent hits on a silhouette. Groups for all guns ran 18" and under shooting offhand.

My ultimate conclusions:

(1) You CAN hit stuff at 300 yards with a common defensive handgun.
(2) If you're going to shoot at stuff at 300 yards, buy good ammo.
(3) Accuracy at 25 or 50 yards doesn't mean squat at 300.
(4) XS Big Dot sights will work at long range.
(5) Hits at 300 yards with a handgun are mostly luck.
(6) 300 yards is for rifles.

There are a few long-range shooting reports out there, but I figured another one from some random goofball in Texas couldn't hurt. :D

No cows were harmed in the making of this post.

gtmtnbiker98
05-10-10, 11:05
Thanks for sharing, quite interesting and enforces the reasoning of owning a rifle.

FN in MT
05-10-10, 20:40
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/montanaguy375/DSC_0030-8_edited-1.jpg

I've got a pistol/rifle range in my back yard. I've got steel plates and a few other poppers fifty yds from my bench. As well as 10" steel plates at 100 yds and 200 yds. Also a few small popper gophers at 150 and 250 yds for my varmint guns. And an old M-113 rear door at 330 yds, up on the hill.

We shoot pistols far more than rifles, due to noise. I want to keep my 1/2 mile away neighbors happy. So I shoot the 100 and 200 yd plates with handguns quite a lot.

That all said...a few of my observations.

SIGHTS are almost as important as the ctg used. Traditional revolver adjustable sights are pretty good. Enough front sight height to allow you to Hold more frt sight above the rear to hold right on the bottom of a target. Way back they made frt sights with colored bars now I see why.

Heavy bullets seem to be better for LR work. Possibly it's just easier to adjust your sights or hold as you can see heavier/larger slugs impact easier. But hits seem more frequent with the .40 or larger ctg's. Though my 229 SIG in .357 SIG does quite well even at 200 yds.

Obviously longer barrels like an 8 3/8" inch S&W revolver REALLY help with the hits.

Finally...if you have never played at longer ranges with a service pistol like a glock, or sig...You really should. It will probably be a real learning experience. In the hands of someone who has some confidence and an idea of hold over...one can hit a man sized tgt at some amazing ranges.

FN in MT

Lucky Strike
05-10-10, 22:32
FN you have my dream backyard you bastard...i'm currently stuck in the 'burbs.....luckily I have my gunclub within 10 minutes but to just be able to go to the backyard to shoot would be super sweet.

As far as shooting at distance I've never gone past 50yards with a handgun but next time I'm shooting I'd like to try some 100+ yard stuff with my .357

Oscar 319
05-10-10, 22:53
My other goal was to not shoot a cow.

Awesome!

I've got a pistol/rifle range in my back yard.

You suck!

Seriously, that is beautiful land.

FN in MT
05-10-10, 23:30
The back yard range was one of my dreams for many years as well. Grew up in New Jersey. Even thirty years back finding a place to shoot outside was a chore...even as a cop. High powered rifle was out of the question.

Had to work my ass off to buy...then pay for the place, but it was worth it.

Montana is so laid back. I have an AK74 that I carry on the rack on my 4 wheeler. Runs around the property 90% of the time, but I occasionally run across the County Road to check out the hatch on the River. NO one gets excited seeing an AK on the 4 wheeler. Imagine doing THAT in Jersey!! Front page news.

It IS nice being able to set up the cronograph...fire a few shots...check the target....adjust loads down at the loading bench...then come out and try again. I know...I'm SPOILED.

FN in MT

skyugo
05-11-10, 00:12
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/montanaguy375/DSC_0030-8_edited-1.jpg

FN in MT

that's a nice looking range man :cool:

PaulL
05-13-10, 10:43
Man, I would love to have a place like that to shoot all the time.

And....no cows. Definite plus.

FN in MT
05-13-10, 13:31
Man, I would love to have a place like that to shoot all the time.

And....no cows. Definite plus.

Good thread Truthseeker....It's amazing how accurate a handgun can be at longer ranges isn't it?? We had a series of qualification courses that we would update, etc every few years. We ALWAYS had a course that required 25 to 50 yd engagements. Lots of wide open spaces out here...the thought of having to engage at farther than the "National average shoot out distance" was always present. So we trained for it.

I've read accounts of 1880's Cavalry Troopers engaging the enemy at 100-200 yds with their Colt Cavalry model single actions. The old Colt .45 loading with that heavy slug would have probably worked fairly well. Other than all the black powder smoke.

Hunting is a different deal...but I know of a wounded elk that was dispatched at a measured 188 yds by a guy with a 6.5" Smith .44 mag pistol.

The elk had been shot (badly ) by a guy with a rifle, who then ran out of ammo. It followed the herd away , but stopped in the middle of a field.
Another hunter who was NOT out for elk, armed with the handgun shows up...talks to the ammoless hunter and stays to keep an eye on the elk.

Time passes...starting to get dark...NO riflemen with ammo. So the pistol packer gets as cloose as he can for a broadside shot (later measured at 188 yds). Lobs a 250 gr Keith slug into the elks lungs...end of story.

FN in MT

PaulL
05-13-10, 18:22
I noticed that 50 yards out in a wide open field didn't really look that far. Were I to encounter a guy with a gun at that range in something like a parking lot, I wouldn't think for a second about engaging. In reality, under pressure, I'd probably be missing quite a bit. Small errors in trigger pull and sight alignment make all the difference. I think this is a good thing to work on at those gun ranges that don't allow rapid fire or drawing from a holster. You can use that time to develop the high-quality muscle memory needed to put shots on target when the bad guy's way out there. North Hollywood or the shootout in Tyler, TX would be prime examples.