PDA

View Full Version : Russia to produce Beretta handguns

HK45
05-10-10, 10:59
http://tinyurl.com/23dkr69
Aviation Week

Russia Will Produce Italian Handguns
Posted by M Pyadushkin at 5/7/2010 9:00 AM CDT
Russia continues to gradually open its defense market for foreign manufacturers. On May 6 Russian Technologies Corporation, a giant state-controlled industrial and defense holding, announced its plans to launch a joint venture with Italian small arms manufacturer Beretta. According to the Corporation’s head Sergey Chemezov, the JV may start its work in the beginning of 2011 and will manufacture hand guns for police and intelligence agencies as well as hunting and sporting weapons. These weapons intended for both domestic market and export will be the first foreign small arms manufactured in Russia since WWI.

The JV will be located in the town of Vyatskie Polyany, Kirov region, at the facilities of a Molot plant controlled by Russian Technologies. Molot used to manufacture Kalashnikov RPK light machine guns, automatic grenade launchers and ATGMs. But now Russian Technologies plans to restructure its small arms assets that also include Izhevsk-based Izhmash and Izhmekh companies. “All military products will be manufactured at Izhmekh and Izhmash while Molot will be repurposed”, mentioned Chemezov.

According to Kommersant daily, the annual sales volume of the new JV is to amount to 35 million euro. It will manufacture 160 thousand firearms a year, including about 60 thousand military handguns. The agreement between Russian Technologies and Beretta will be reportedly finalized in May.

556mp
05-10-10, 21:58
Very interesting. Thanks for the post.

ST911
05-11-10, 09:42
I wonder which p/ns they'll produce specifically. I normally have no interest in Beretta handguns, but I can't help but think that a Russian variant of the M9 would make an interesting addition to cabinets with Italian and US variants already. Rather ironic addition, too. Russia producing the standard US mil sidearm?

Falboy
05-13-10, 10:37
I believe the Russians have adopted the M92/M9 as their standard military sidearm a while back now.

TOrrock
05-13-10, 11:03
I believe the Russians have adopted the M92/M9 as their standard military sidearm a while back now.

I'd really like to see some documentation on that. They "announced" that they were going with a polymer pistol chambered in 9mm Para. Like other new weapon systems though, they rarely get out in the field.

The Russians have so many Makarov PM's and Stetchkin pistols in their inventory, and the pistol has such a low position in their "training", except for some of their higher speed anti terror units, that I doubt we'll see anything new in their inventory.

I do remember watching Gorbachev getting out of his plane when he was ousted in the coup, and seeing his bodyguards carrying CZ-75's. For a long time the CZ-75 was about the only 9mm Para pistol that the Russian higher speed units had.

HK45
05-14-10, 10:03

Not a snowballs chance in hell of that. The russians are very proud of their indigenous weapons.

BTW that Limbaugh quote is idiotic.

Mjolnir
05-14-10, 14:25
By commonizing weapons/calibers with Western nations it could (theoretically) more easily allow them to operate alongside NATO/EU troops.

Potential Scenario

Collapse of US gov't and infrastructure. NATO would respond and, in theory, so could Russia with interoperability with some systems. It could be ANY major nation requiring HUGE assistance & internal security issues. It gives the gov't options.

If they were smart they'd have chosen Glock. :p

jaxman7
05-15-10, 09:03
[QUOTE=HK45 BTW that Limbaugh quote is idiotic.[/QUOTE]

No need for that man.

HK45
05-16-10, 22:04
No need for people to post inflammatory sigs either. He wants everyone to know his opinion. Now he just heard mine.

556mp
05-16-10, 22:28
Ohhh boy. lets stay on topic.. no? :rolleyes:

Anyone have any more info on this? I find it very interesting.

Quiet
05-17-10, 06:57
Since 2003, the 9x19mm Yarygin MP-443 Grach has been in use with some Russian Army units. It's suppose to be their new standard issue sidearm.
http://imzcorp.com/res_en/0_value_24485_188.jpg

Boss Hogg
05-17-10, 09:31
I find it interesting that the Russians- despite producing the most iconic "assault rifle" of the 20th Century- never made a significant mark in the handgun world.

I haven't heard a Makarov or Tokarev mentioned in a rap song yet.....

TOrrock
05-17-10, 09:37
I find it interesting that the Russians- despite producing the most iconic "assault rifle" of the 20th Century- never made a significant mark in the handgun world.

About the most the Russians expected out of their officer's and Commissar's side arms was the capability to enforce discipline.

Alex V
05-17-10, 10:11
Well if this is true I am not buying another Beretta again unless I see the "Made in Italy" stamped on it lol

Can you imagine the quality control on these guns?

GermanSynergy
05-17-10, 12:43

Lots of Russian rappers like Ivan G & Saratov Sasha rap about bustin' out their T's to represent in their 'grad. :cool::o:o j/k

I wonder why the Russians would select a Beretta design and how well it will sell?

Falboy
05-20-10, 10:59
Sorry for insulting "your president" HK45...... I've had that sigline for a yr. and you're the first to complain. Cheers.:D