PDA

View Full Version : PA CCW Question

vel525
05-10-10, 11:52
Hello,

I hope this is the right area to ask. I am planning a weekend in Philadelphia to visit family. I've been doing some research on CCW laws in PA and just wanted to confirm a few things:
1. I have a VA CHP and I know PA recipricates VA CHP so that's good.
2. As long as I do not carry in court houses and elementary/secondary schools it looks like everywhere else is fair game.

Am I missing anything? How about restaurants or bars? Also, how is Philadelphia in general regarding CCW? Do I need to keep an eye out for signs that say no firearms (i.e. malls, shopping centers, etc.)?

Thanks.

Oh, and I do know that since MD sucks I will have to store my firearms and ammunition properly per federal firearms transportation guidelines while traveling through MD.

Jay Cunningham
05-10-10, 12:32
Philly?

lol

They sort of have their own laws... you need to read up on the particulars of Philly and CCW.

d90king
05-10-10, 12:33
No schools, courthouses, airports and federal buildings. Bars and restaurants are okay and unlike Va concealed is legal and probably preferred. I also think that they are prohibited from certain state monuments etc..

As far as how you choose to handle private property issues that is a personal choice that only you can make.

This is always a good reference to keep handy. www.handgunlaw.us

mkemmerl
05-10-10, 13:21
My in-laws are near Philly. Lots of stories of permit holders getting hassled in the city, at best. Of course, they all had to have done something to attract attention in the first place, so keep your nose clean and you'll be good.

I have never seen a "no guns" sign in my 8 years of Philly-burb visits, but maybe one of the PA residents can enlighten both of us on whether or not such a thing even exists (and where).

vel525
05-10-10, 13:55
Thanks guys.

Hmm, I thought many years ago Philly tried to do their own thing, but now they follow PA law. Well, I will dig around some more for Philly specific laws/issues.

D90king, the website you posted and this one http://www.carryconcealed.net/legal/ is where I usually start my CCW research.

d90king
05-10-10, 13:58
Thanks guys.

Hmm, I thought many years ago Philly tried to do their own thing, but now they follow PA law. Well, I will dig around some more for Philly specific laws/issues.

D90king, the website you posted and this one http://www.carryconcealed.net/legal/ is where I usually start my CCW research.

They have been overturned in the states Supreme Court however that does not mean that the local Philly PD follows it... I avoid the city at all cost anyway...

devildogljb
05-11-10, 20:30
Ha i got hasseled in philly and i held a ccw in pa. I was down there for my mom surgery got pulled over and i got questioned for a good 20 mins what i was doing down in philly and why i was carrying. They made me feel like i did some thing wrong. Now i just open carry and ive never been back to philly since