PDA

View Full Version : Magpul ASAP and Magpul MS2. Questions.

Roadblock
05-10-10, 12:45
I just picked up the Magpul ASAP and the MS2... I gotta say I was slightly surprised by the quality of the ASAP though. It appears to be all MIM (metal injection molded).

Has anyone has one of these break on them yet?

I've broken/cracked MIM parts before. Hell the hammer broke off my Kimber once. I'm a tad worried about slinging $3k worth of AR on this thing while running.

Then my second concern is the sling. Ummm it well, sure is a quick detach sling isn't it. :D You yank on that little cord and the gun drops right off to the floor. I'm worried about it catching on my gear when I'm running and gunning with my pistol (I shoot 2 gun matches).

Anyone had any issues with there MS2 coming undone?

I know Magpul makes good stuff but I was just a little surprised to see the sling point attachment is MIM more then anything and I'm worried about the sling coming open too a little bit.

Thoughts? :confused:

DeputyMend
05-10-10, 13:04
I don’t have anything I can say about the ASAP plates durability because I have not broken one nor do I have firsthand knowledge of one breaking.

As far as the quick release sling issue, I agree with you that is seems too easy to release. I took the little string off immediately, and I don’t really worry about something pulling on the ring. It seemed to me that the string interfered with my safety as well.

Roadblock
05-10-10, 13:43
I thought about taking the string off but then it defeats the purpose of having a QD sling. I actually want to be able to take the rifle off the sling I just, well I'm used to those clips that are like 2 half circles that over lap and you have to depress the button a ways to get them off. You know, sorta like a claw clip thingy... Here like this clip in the middle:

http://www.thewarstore.org/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/S/B/SB2_003_2.jpg

Guess I'll just try it, if I dump my gun, I'll figure something else out.

scjbash
05-10-10, 13:57
According to Magpul's website the ASAP is cast, not MIM.

http://store.magpul.com/product/mag500/100

mnoe82
05-10-10, 14:55
Sometimes when I am running on the treadmill I will use various gear (IE backpacks, tac vests, etc) for added weight and to see how they move around while running. I've also done this with my AR. I've got a MS2 and ASAP plate and have had no problems while running. Moving around with it, at least for me, has caused no problems with the QD or any of the other components.

controlledpairs2
05-10-10, 15:14
it is cast, and both the asap and clasp are rated for a few hundred pounds. i took my work m-4 (which is about 12 lbs) and swung and flung it around pretty violently from a rooftop to show my buddies how well it worked. no worries mate, you can't break it doing anything you would survive.

Magic_Salad0892
05-11-10, 02:58
It'll be fine.

I still want to know what the MS3 is supposed to be. I'll probably buy it. O_o

nickdrak
05-11-10, 03:58
I dont think you have anything to worry about with the slings hardware.

My only suggestion is to use 100mph tape around all of the points where the sling threads through to keep the sling from coming undone on it's own over time. It happened to me during a CSAT rifle class last year. Plop! Right on the ground:o I taped it up and haven't had a problem since.

rrpederson
05-11-10, 04:10
i beat the crap out of my sling and mount just about every few weeks during training. hasn't broken yet. i have had it for just about a year now.

kry226
05-11-10, 07:02
I dont think you have anything to worry about with the slings hardware.

My only suggestion is to use 100mph tape around all of the points where the sling threads through to keep the sling from coming undone on it's own over time. It happened to me during a CSAT rifle class last year. Plop! Right on the ground:o I taped it up and haven't had a problem since.

I understand what you're saying, but I'd have a hard time dropping coin on a sling that I'll have to tape up for security. Kind of defeats the purpose, no? Something is failing on the sling if you have to tape it up.

rgaper
05-11-10, 09:53
No durability problems with the ASAP plate or the MS2 sling so far.

Magpul makes some awesome stuff, but I'm not a fan of the MS2 sling. IMHO, Magpul used the wrong material (it's too flimsy and binds easily), too heavy of hardware, and it doesn't adjust the way/where that it should.

CTBuilder1
05-11-10, 10:32
I really like the ASAP sling plate but I could take or leave the MS2. I currently run a Gear Sector single point with HK hook and far prefer it to the MS2. Of course there is no option to go from single to two point with the GS sling but I really don't need that option. Mission drives the gear......

Belmont31R
05-11-10, 13:12
You don't need tape if you run the "tail" of the material back down through the slider. Ive never had a sling come close to coming loose doing it this way.

Never had an ASAP plate break or hear of one breaking. Ive filed one to fit a KAC lower, and staked quite a few. They are much harder than a normal end plate.

My only complaint about the setup is the MS2 sling on the edge of the webbing. Unless you wear a collared shirt the edge can kinda rub you sore/raw if you're using it for an extended period of time.

I would also not recommend them for any SPR/DMR/Recce type of gun as they are simply to heavy of guns to be used with a single point sling (especially one with thin webbing). They were not designed for this anyways but Ive seen some people try. A 2 point like a VCAS or Vickers would be more applicable.

nickdrak
05-11-10, 14:04
I understand what you're saying, but I'd have a hard time dropping coin on a sling that I'll have to tape up for security. Kind of defeats the purpose, no? Something is failing on the sling if you have to tape it up.

Every sling I have had has loosened up over time. The 100mph tape adds a level of security. I should have taped it prior to attending the class, but I just got it a few days before the class and wanted to shake it out. I feel any sling you run on a duty rifle or plan to take into harms way should be taped up for added security.

JSantoro
05-11-10, 17:09
One can say the same thing about a sling where the loose end of the webbing is run back over the hardware and forced through the rear side. This has the benefit on not having a bunch of debris-attracting adhesive smeared all over the load points to get dirt and whatnot stuck, ground into the fibers and weakening it before it would otherwise do so. No different than climbing rope.

Either way, you should secure the loose ends of your sling(s). The material is no different than anything else. If you get it wet, stuff will shift as it dries, and shift again when it gets wet again. If you bounce weight off of it or pull on it, stuff will shift. Secure the ends, and it only has so much room to shift before it just stops.

igoswoop
05-11-10, 18:18

Has anyone has one of these break on them yet?

You yank on that little cord and the gun drops right off to the floor. I'm worried about it catching on my gear when I'm running and gunning with my pistol (I shoot 2 gun matches).

Anyone had any issues with there MS2 coming undone?

Thoughts? :confused:

The ASAP plate stood up to more weight than you'd want hanging from it before failure.

The 'swedish' release shackle is a common piece of hardware used on parachute risers to connect a reserve static line. You wouldn't want one of these failing either if you needed it. :)

There are a lot of great slings on the market that integrate a quick adjust feature. The MS2 wasn't designed around this concept. While it is adjustable to get a tighter fit when changing the rifle into a two point mode, its primary configuration and benefit come from running it in a single point configuration in conjunction with the ASAP plate for easier transitions to the reaction side shoulder.

Roadblock
05-24-10, 15:55
So far so good. I haven't dumped my gun yet.

I did notice that Magpul now has a MS3 sling though. They did away with the sling point attachment that "bothered" me. Hrmmm. :D

The sling now uses two attachments similar to the bigger one that you use to convert the MS2 from one point to two point. Going to have to pick one of those up too I think.

Due out later this summer:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj3/roadblockxl/magpul_ms3.jpg

Norsemen
05-25-10, 20:42
I'm with rgaper, no problems with the plate, but don't care for the sling material and the way it tends to bind. Thus, Vicker's meet MS2. I got rid of the loop on the quick disconnect and replaced with a solid pull cord. This has been working pretty good thus far. Just a thought.

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/norsemen_photos/Hobby/attach.jpg