PDA

View Full Version : Tools for FF tube install

Uncle Alvah
05-10-10, 13:04
I have removed the VLTOR CASV from my AR, and I want to replace it with a Free Float tube handguard, probably with a DPMS Carbon Fiber unit.
I have NO collection of AR-15 tools at this time, and want to acquire them as needed.
That said, what tools do I need to purchase to complete this handguard swap professionally?

rychencop
05-10-10, 14:11
upper receiver block and strap wrench to start. it really depends on what handguard you're installing.

Uncle Alvah
05-10-10, 15:17
it really depends on what handguard you're installing.

It will be either the aluminum or Carbon fiber tube DPMS. Since I have no tools, I'm wondering if it might be better to simply have it installed as opposed to buying the gear. I know my way around gun work pretty well, but this AR is a whole new thing to me.......

Near as I can tell, (from watching a Brownell's video sans sound)I will need a punch set/block for the front sight tower, an AR multi-tool, receiver block, and strap wrench, but it's hard to tell from the pics.

13F3OL7
05-10-10, 15:37
It will be either the aluminum or Carbon fiber tube DPMS. Since I have no tools, I'm wondering if it might be better to simply have it installed as opposed to buying the gear. I know my way around gun work pretty well, but this AR is a whole new thing to me.......

Near as I can tell, (from watching a Brownell's video sans sound)I will need a punch set/block for the front sight tower, an AR multi-tool, receiver block, and strap wrench, but it's hard to tell from the pics.

It depends on whether you want the experience in installing the tube yourself or not.

If you decide to do it yourself, I would also include a delrin push for the gas tube to make sure it's firmly seated after you re-install the front sight tower. I forget the exact name of the tool, but they are available through Adco Firearms.