PDA

View Full Version : Nesting animal in my car

orionz06
05-10-10, 16:40
Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of a nesting animal that likes the engine bay of my car and I need to dispose of it. I do not know what it is, but the means to destroy it must be manageable for me to keep my pets away from it.

And a suppressor is not the answer I am looking for, although it is on my list.

Zhurdan
05-10-10, 16:50
Watch, enjoy, employ! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZjoxSDEvbo)

Unless it's something snarly, a pressure washer should do the trick.

orionz06
05-10-10, 16:51
I should have been more clear, I have never encountered the creature, I need to prevent it, trap it, or poison it.

OPPFOR
05-10-10, 17:08
More details needed........approximate size? You can't trap it if you don't know what it likes to eat and you can't know what it eats if you don't know what it is.

orionz06
05-10-10, 17:11
It cant be larger than a squirrel, thus far it eats insulation, plastic, and wire covers. The nest it created is chipmunk sized.

Zhurdan
05-10-10, 17:12
I really wasn't trying to be a jerk :D... a pressure washer should get whatever nesting materials that are in there out, and hopefully it will move on. I've had to do that before with an old vehicle. Once you pressure wash out their nesting materials, they generally move on for easier pastures.

Also, like GF said, you really need to find out what it is.

Is it leaving nesting materials?
How long is your vehicle stationary?

adrenaline151
05-10-10, 17:15
you could try mothballs. it might keep whatever it is away. Or a big rat snap type trap with peanut butter. just anchor it in case it's bigger than average, you don't want a big 'ol squirrel dragging itself across the neighbors yards with a rat trap on it's back.

OPPFOR
05-10-10, 17:39
I'd also suggest a rat trap with good ole PB. I just rounded up a couple of mice in less than 5 hours with peanut butter. They can't resist it.

halo2304
05-10-10, 17:50
If you use peanut butter and a rat trap, put the PB under the release plate. You could get a Have-A-Heart trap...then take the critter for a swim.

lethal dose
05-10-10, 18:00
Probably a mouse. I think they make traps for them.

R.D.
05-10-10, 18:01
I live in northern illinois and trap animals for a living. I have seen a growing number of tree squirrels( grey and fox) denning in engine compartments. The Glenview Police had a problem with this a few years ago that I helped take care of.

If you can't tell what animal it is the pressure washer idea has some Merritt. It removes the nesting material and if the animal has to keep rebuilding the nest it will soon give up on that den site. You could try a piece of cardboard with cornstarch, flower etc.. under the engine to see prints and then identify the animal. Once you determine the type of animal set the appropriate trap and ,after capture ,euthanize the animal within the laws if your state. I do not reccomend releasing the animal as it could spread desease, cause unnessary suffering( starvation, being exposed to the elements, crossing mutiple roads etc..) and potentially gives the problem you are having to someone else.

orionz06
05-10-10, 18:03
the vehicle is stationary from 8pm til 6am. I have removed nesting materials, but I will place mothballs on the compartment and try the cornstarch first.

Artos
05-10-10, 18:05
you could try mothballs.

this is what we use at the ranch in the offseason...go sparingly!! we just throw it on the ground under the trailer & it still manages to stank it up for a week or two.

Bounce drier sheets work too...go sparingly!!

With either of these, they will look for a better place to crash.

R.D.
05-10-10, 18:09
I have found mothballs,amonia etc. be fairly inefective as a deterent. Take that with a grain of salt though as I get called after home remedies don't work. As far as pets go the properly sized live capture trap is the way to go and a squirrel trap can be used to house a mouse trap or three and not allow a dog or cat to get pinched while allowing mice to enter through the bars. If you could describe the size of the nest as well as the material used I could make an educated guess ad to the type of animal.

orionz06
05-10-10, 18:36
softball size at best and made of insulation from the car and some straw type material, but mostly vehicle insulation from the engine bay.

R.D.
05-10-10, 19:07
Sounds like some kind of squirrel to me. I'm not up on all the kinds of small animals in your area. If the corn starch doesn't yield any useful information you should call one of your local nuisance wildlife companys as, at least in my neck of the woods, we are pretty good about letting you pick our brains about local trends and legal methods to remedy your problem. Hope my info helps.

orionz06
05-10-10, 20:02
I am gonna make a few calls tomorrow and see what it is, I found a few repellents I wanna try.

Slinger646
05-10-10, 20:02
This, FTW

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=11582

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/images/PH0540.jpg.JPG