PDA

View Full Version : To Grease or not to Grease that is the question

devildogljb
05-10-10, 18:37
so i was at my local gun store talking Ar's today and it seems like alot of guys grease there bolt carrier and bolt. I dont i just use clp. Its what we used in the marines and i had no problems. But i broke down and bought Hoppe's gun grease and figured i would give it a try. Is there any benifits to using grease as compared to clp:confused:? And how many of you guys actually use grease?

markm
05-10-10, 18:42
I use high temp grease on the cam pin. No oil seems to cut it there.

I also use grease on the carrier bearing rails. Oil never stays on those unless you soak the whole ****ing upper receiver... then you have the grit trap going on.

I still use oil in the carrier and on the bolt surface though.

Jay Cunningham
05-10-10, 18:44
Generally speaking an AR does not benefit from grease.

JSantoro
05-10-10, 18:45
I use it on the charging handle, on the small springs whenever I assemble a lower, and on pistol springs. The nice thing about grease is that it tends to stay in place better than liquid lubes, but related to what you said, it six of one/half-dozen of the other if you lube correctly.

I think it becomes a matter of personal taste and whatever gives you a better warm fuzzy about your gun. It sure won't hurt.

I use TW-25, the same stuff used on the Dillon Aero miniguns.

markm
05-10-10, 18:57
I use it on the charging handle

Why? I run my charging handles bone dry. I used to lightly oil them until I came to the realization that they need nothing at all.

devildogljb
05-10-10, 19:03
well i figured i would just try it out and see how it works out. Any suggestions where i should put the grease ?

Col_Crocs
05-10-10, 19:12
Yup, Absolutely. No harm in trying IMHO. Cam pin as markm suggested, charging handle as well. That's it for me but the carrier rails might be worth a shot as well. Dont go all out like youwould with lube though. I always have a fear of grease gunking up in ARs after heavy use.
Might be a big improvement from CLP but I would try a thicker non-combo lube as well to see how well the grease works vs. that.
You may end up with the same result.

JSantoro
05-10-10, 20:17
Why? I run my charging handles bone dry. I used to lightly oil them until I came to the realization that they need nothing at all.

Because out opinions RE: metal-on-metal rubbing somehow differ, I'm guessing.

markm
05-10-10, 20:21
Because out opinions RE: metal-on-metal rubbing somehow differ, I'm guessing.

I seriously have found that no lube at all on the CH has made absolutely ZERO difference in my guns.... and I'm a lube lunatic.... I run those brownells needle oilers to get a trinkle of lube on the smallest of bearing surfaces.

devildogljb
05-10-10, 20:23

To me if metal is rubbing against metal it needs some type of oil. Maybe it doesnt need it but better safe then sorry i guess

markm
05-10-10, 20:26
I totally agree. But I've found that the finish on the CH rubs off to a certain extent no matter what, and beyond that the lube does nothing except give you something to clean up and relube each cleaning.

devildogljb
05-10-10, 20:36
I totally agree. But I've found that the finish on the CH rubs off to a certain extent no matter what, and beyond that the lube does nothing except give you something to clean up and relube each cleaning.
Well for me i love cleaning my AR or any gun for that matter:D. And i know alot of guys are like me so cleaning a little lube off and putting some back on something doesn't really matter.

Blankwaffe
05-10-10, 20:43
I use it on the charging handle, on the small springs whenever I assemble a lower, and on pistol springs. The nice thing about grease is that it tends to stay in place better than liquid lubes, but related to what you said, it six of one/half-dozen of the other if you lube correctly.

I think it becomes a matter of personal taste and whatever gives you a better warm fuzzy about your gun. It sure won't hurt.

I use TW-25, the same stuff used on the Dillon Aero miniguns.

I also use a bit of Weapon Shield grease or TW25B on the FCG/pins during assembly.That said its short lived as I tend to keep all the moving parts well lubed with Weapon Shield CLP and it floats the grease off/out in short order.
Only other area I run grease is on the cam pin,and thats just a light smear of the Weapon Shield grease with a finger.
As far as a grease as the primary lube on the AR,the only grease Ive used in the application was TW25B and in EP form.Worked verywell too.But I'd be leary of using a grease any heavier than that,particularly with high round counts without PM.
Like Markm,I dont worry too much about the CH.I wipe it with a oil soaked cloth during PM but thats about it.I'd be concerned with running grease on the CH as it does not see excessive use and would worry that it might accumulate a large amount of fouling in its somewhat confined track.
Other than that I just give the bolt tail a shot of Weapon Shield CLP through the carrier gas ports,and a bit on the carrier every 300-400 rounds.I like to keep a sheen of oil on the BCG throughout use if possible.Ive found that it keeps the fouling in suspension and the action smooth,both of which aids in faster PM when Im done.
One area I think alot of folks neglects is the bolt tail.When Im done for the day I always put a few drops of oil through the gas ports on the side of the carrier to anoint the bolt tail.This gives a head start of getting the fouling to soften and protects the bolt tail from corrosion.

5pins
05-10-10, 22:17
I use grease on the charging handle also. Manly on the opposite side of the latch, I find it works smoother.

BigBuckeye
05-10-10, 22:35
I watched some video on youtube where the guy covers his BCG in grease and talks about how this is the correct way...

I tried it and the bolt wouldn't lock back after the last round...

Now after I clean it, I coat it in FP10...

shootist~
05-10-10, 23:41
I tried Tetra Gun grease on a Colt (bolt and carrier) in moderately cold weather once. It quickly went sluggish and then became a single shot. I had to flood it with Rem Oil to finish the match.

Dutchy556
05-11-10, 01:04
Having been doing the grease in the AR thing for quite some time now in most of my rifles with good success I thought I'd chime in.

How that Hoppes grease will treat you OP, that I can't tell you. However I can comment on TW25b

I lightly lube all contact points (bolt, cam pin, carrier rails, etc.) with it. It's fairly thin for a grease but stays in place better and longer than a lot of other stuff I've tried. It doesn't drip, and it doesn't blow out or burn off as easily as well.

I have had nothing but outstanding results after very high round counts in conditions ranging from below freezing to above 100 in everything from heavy rain to blowing dust & sand. I ran Dynamic Carbine 1 having lubed my BCM upper solely with TW-25b and without re-lubing intentionally for the three days with no ill-effects.

As a general habit I give things a a few drops of MC2500 (TW-25b oil) every range trip - keeps things a little slicker , but I've gone without well past 2k without. In the two years or so that I've been using the stuff almost exclusively I have yet to have any problems. Generally I'm sold but YMMV. I'd say give it a shot if you're not impressed with the Hoppes stuff.

Also, I have used Tetra grease in the past as well and it worked well but did noticeably slow things down in the cold in my experience. Not quite single shot but some malfs for sure.

mpom
05-11-10, 07:41
Switched to slide glide a few months ago for all lubrication except gas rings, oil, cleaned @ 400 rounds just because. Lube still there, would have been dry w oil.
Not a long term test. Will test in cold weather for issues. Agree grease needs to be on the thin side. Fwiw, slide glide comes in "light" version and is excellent in my glocks.

Mark

DaBears_85
05-11-10, 08:51
...I also use grease on the carrier bearing rails...

I've been thinking about doing that for awhile now. CLP just seems like it doesn't want to stay there. So you've had good results with greasing the carrier bearing rails? I bet it makes the action alot smoother.

eternal24k
05-11-10, 08:59
I coat my CH with dry moly, do a mix of oil and grease on lugs, cam, and (season dependent) rails, oil on bolt and gas rings.

ST911
05-11-10, 09:09
Generally speaking an AR does not benefit from grease.

My opinion as well.

rychencop
05-11-10, 15:12
most use some sort of CLP on the BCG. i use EWG (http://www.slip2000.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60340&Category_Code=EWG) on the bolt lugs and cam pin. works well and lasts a long time.

MattS
05-11-10, 15:55
I've had great luck with TW25B. Run it in both my AR's and pistols.

markm
05-11-10, 20:57
I've been thinking about doing that for awhile now. CLP just seems like it doesn't want to stay there. So you've had good results with greasing the carrier bearing rails? I bet it makes the action alot smoother.

I don't find that there's a big difference. But the grease stays put. I haven't run oil there in so long, I don't remember.

thopkins22
05-11-10, 21:05
Paul Howe uses grease pretty liberally. I think I might start using it on the cam pin and carrier rails.

EzGoingKev
05-12-10, 20:09
I like to use Red Line Oil's assembly lube grease on something that is going to sit a while. It is a very light grease and works great on all kinds of things.

The nice thing about using it is that you can put on as much as you want and not come back down the road and not find oil all over the rifle from the charging handle on down.

When shooting, I do use an oil as it is easier to squeeze out of the little tube I have stashed in my MIAD grip.

markm
05-12-10, 22:11
Paul Howe uses grease pretty liberally. I think I might start using it on the cam pin and carrier rails.

Once you start, I bet you won't go back. ;)

MarshallDodge
05-12-10, 22:25
I use a light viscosity teflon based grease on the bolt, pin, and carrier rails...pretty much any area that shows signs of heavy contact. Not a lot, just enough to make the surface look wet. The grease seems to stay put better than oil and does not run all over the gun getting the lower all gooey.

This is what works good for me but I only run my AR's about 500 rounds between cleanings so I am not a good abuse case.

orionz06
05-12-10, 22:27
To all of the folks running a grease, has a good oil failed you? Knowing how the oil fell short and where the grease picked up will help those considering a grease decide better.

Jay Cunningham
05-12-10, 22:28
To all of the folks running a grease, has a good oil failed you?

Now THAT is a really good question!

devildogljb
05-13-10, 00:55
Well i just wanted to say thanks for all the responses but keep them up i like to hear every ones thoughts. I greased my ar up and will try to head to the range soon and ill let every one know how it goes. And its not that oil has failed me and im not new to the ar world im just looking into something new and different to see how it works. It just seems like alot of guys i know seem to use grease so trying it wont hurt.

rychencop
05-13-10, 06:09
To all of the folks running a grease, has a good oil failed you? Knowing how the oil fell short and where the grease picked up will help those considering a grease decide better.

i think it's the idea that grease won't be absorbed and it stays put. i've never had a failure due to oil though and i only use grease in very few areas. ;)

Boss Hogg
05-13-10, 06:22
I use a mix of TW25B and Slip 2000 EWL.

If you have a well-worn bolt and carrier, that will show you the highest wear areas, and ones that I use TW25B on.

orionz06
05-13-10, 08:49
I use a mix of TW25B and Slip 2000 EWL.

If you have a well-worn bolt and carrier, that will show you the highest wear areas, and ones that I use TW25B on.

Have you prevented the wear marks on a virgin bolt/carrier with the use of grease? My assumption is that may be the only real advantage, and with that, I would think that the same wear patterns will develop regardless of lubrication.

CAVDOC
05-13-10, 09:07
I guess I am not that fussy- any old oil I have is used -probable about 10-12 drops for lubing the entire rifle after a cleaning or inbetween cleaning when it looks dry. That is more than I used to use (prior to reading and understanding Larry Vicker's article on lubrication) I get free samples of various lubes from time to time- slip 2000, militec, clp, whatever. type of oil does not seem at all important- rather the fact there is some in the right places

DocGKR
05-13-10, 12:01
I use grease on heavy wear points, especially on a duty/HD rifle, as oil has a tendency to run off, while the grease stays in place--this is useful on rifles that tend to spend a lot of time in patrol vehicle racks. I started using grease after discovering significant numbers of dry carbines in racks, despite them having been properly oiled several weeks prior...

99HMC4
05-13-10, 12:35
I grease my carrier rails, cam pin and hammer face (were it rides on the bottom of the carrier) with Tetra. Everything else gets oil. I dont use a lot just enough to cover but it does seem to cycle smoother. I also grease my charging hanlde good. I also grease the rails, cam pin and hammer face on my SCAR and it seems to really smooth that action out....:D

orionz06
05-13-10, 17:15
I use grease on heavy wear points, especially on a duty/HD rifle, as oil has a tendency to run off, while the grease stays in place--this is useful on rifles that tend to spend a lot of time in patrol vehicle racks. I started using grease after discovering significant numbers of dry carbines in racks, despite them having been properly oiled several weeks prior...

That was a legitimate answer and one that makes the most sense. Thanks!

RogerinTPA
05-13-10, 17:50
That was a legitimate answer and one that makes the most sense. Thanks!

Given the circumstances, it does make since for that particular reason. For our circumstances (Practice & training, moderate to heavy use), I'll stick with a good thick oil (Synthetic motor, Slip EWL, LSA, Militec-1), liberally applied on my ARs.

markm
05-13-10, 19:35

Yep! Even a soaked set of bolt lugs with relatively heavy Mobil 1 looks like I forgot to lube the bolt after a week in the safe, muzzle up.

Granted.... there'd be plenty enough lube to run several mags in horrible gun fight, but it's too dry for a full shooting session.

99HMC4
05-13-10, 20:12

Yup, aint it nice to get a puddle of oil in the buffer tube after the rifles been upright for a while?

akioty10
05-14-10, 07:24
I use Lucas wheelbeairng grease . I have shot upto 500 rounds and the Lucas was still where it should be when I was done .
I have not had an oil fail me I also use the slip 2000 ewl . I was just tired of the oil being everywhere , buffertube as an example .

glen
05-14-10, 21:27

Exactly my experience with oil as well. Whether pistol or rifle, I found my guns dry after a few weeks of no use, especially the carry gun.

Oil has never failed me...when it was there. But I found it just does not like to stay for the party.

I tried general purpose grease and while it stays put, it tended to get gunky when shooting a lot.

I found my happy medium in a light synthetic grease. Sprays on wet, solvent/carrier dries up and its a very light coat of grease. I was pleasantly surprised to find this lube still where it should be after shooting hundreds of rounds, without the gunk of plain ole' grease. It's light enough that I use it in place of oil also.