PDA

View Full Version : best SBR ammo?

kalibos
05-10-10, 20:14
what .223/5.56 ammo gives the best performance as far as accuracy and velocity out of a 10.3" chrome lined barrel with a 1-7 twist?

markm
05-10-10, 20:24
Accuracy and Velocity may end up being two mutually exlusive goals with that short of a barrel.

You'll likely have to find out what ammo your barrel likes best in the accuracy departement. And the only way to get decent velocity out of such a short barrel is with lighter bullets. :confused:

kalibos
05-10-10, 20:29
lol, that's kinda what i figured. i'm thinking about trying some type of 62gr. ammo and see if maybe it will be a happy medium

kalibos
05-10-10, 20:34
i shot some 55gr wolf today and the best i could get was 2" groups at 50 yards standing using irons. i'm new to shooting so rag on me too bad:D

Iraqgunz
05-11-10, 04:17
The last time markm and I went shooting I was shot my 11.5" with Magpul MBUS's and used mostly 55gr. ammo. I was able to hit our steel target out to 220 yds. As for groups....could care less really. Minute of perp is generally good enough for me.

Why not try some Black Hills 77gr. Match or Hornady TAP if you really are concerned about group sizes? Probably a better choice of ammo for self defense anyways.

i shot some 55gr wolf today and the best i could get was 2" groups at 50 yards standing using irons. i'm new to shooting so rag on me too bad:D

kalibos
05-11-10, 05:27
you're right, i shouldn't really be concerened with group size. i should just work on consistency with hitting targets out at a distance. what is the opinion on the TAP training ammo?

Iraqgunz
05-11-10, 10:55
I haven't used Hornady TAP training ammo yet only the 75gr. 5.56 TAP.

you're right, i shouldn't really be concerened with group size. i should just work on consistency with hitting targets out at a distance. what is the opinion on the TAP training ammo?

C4IGrant
05-11-10, 11:12
Velocity is king in a SBR as it will extend the fragmentation range.

So the Hornady T2 and BH's MK262 are my two personal choices.

C4

kalibos
05-11-10, 16:33
who has the best deal on these?

Velocity is king in a SBR as it will extend the fragmentation range.

So the Hornady T2 and BH's MK262 are my two personal choices.

C4

Robb Jensen
05-11-10, 17:21
My go to ammo for SBRs:

10.5" - 12.5" guns:
BH Mk262 Mod 1
Hornady TAP 75gr
Prvi 75gr

14.5":
LC M855
Federal Fusion 62gr

DocHolliday01
05-11-10, 17:55
My 10.5in has 2 mags of Silver State Armory loaded 70gr. Barnes TSX
and I have SSA loaded 77gr. Sierra OTM in my 16in Middy.

kalibos
05-11-10, 18:04
alittle OT but i'm using my friends registered lower until i get the stamp back for mine and was wondering if i need to re-zero the sights when i change the lower over to mine?
they are the exact same lowers. i can't think of any reason why it would affect anything but i'm still learning so...

Magic_Salad0892
05-11-10, 18:26
Don't worry about re-zeroing.

There will be no issues.

Tennvol12345
05-11-10, 18:28
I hope you don't have a short barrel upper on his lower because if you do you are in violation of the NFA.

Actually if his name is engraved on the side of the lower and registered to him doesn't he have to be in possession of it unless he has had it removed from the registry (short barrel mounted to it or not)?

kalibos
05-11-10, 18:29
i take the upper off when we leave the range and he is keeping my receiver in his safe until my stamp comes back. i assume this is ok?

kalibos
05-11-10, 18:32
that's kinda what i figured but was one of those" you never know unless you ask" kind of things for me

Don't worry about re-zeroing.

There will be no issues.

Fireglock
05-11-10, 19:03
I hope you don't have a short barrel upper on his lower because if you do you are in violation of the NFA.

Actually if his name is engraved on the side of the lower and registered to him doesn't he have to be in possession of it unless he has had it removed from the registry (short barrel mounted to it or not)?

If his buddy is with him what does it matter if he puts his SB upper on it? Not a permanent change now is it? And yes once registered the lower/SBR needs to be in the "possession" of the registered owner. That doesn't mean someone else can't shoot it while at the range.

kalibos
05-11-10, 19:10
i probably should have been more clear about it when i said i was using someone elses lower

Tennvol12345
05-11-10, 19:26
I read it as borrow, ie take it home.

I'm sure the op is keeping it all legit. I'm just trying to keep him out of jail.

kalibos
05-11-10, 19:35
thanks, i appreciate it:) jail=bad

TehLlama
05-11-10, 23:38
I'm curious about GotM4's mention of PPU 75gr.

The cost is obviously attractive (why I have so much), but why would this play well with SBR's? I run it happily through my 14.5" rifles, but I hadn't considered it through my SBR's....

Would the PPU be no-go for a double stamp unit (OPS 14th/10.5")?

C4IGrant
05-12-10, 08:51
who has the best deal on these?

There really is no such thing as a "good deal" on these two (as they are restricted and generally hard to get).

C4

Robb Jensen
05-12-10, 09:08
I'm curious about GotM4's mention of PPU 75gr.

The cost is obviously attractive (why I have so much), but why would this play well with SBR's? I run it happily through my 14.5" rifles, but I hadn't considered it through my SBR's....

Would the PPU be no-go for a double stamp unit (OPS 14th/10.5")?

PPU 75gr is good ammo but not as durable as military grade Mk262, M193 or M855.

As long as it's in mags and not getting banged around a lot you shouldn't have any issues. It runs well in every rifle I've ever shot it in. Don't know how water resistant it is or how it handles temperatures cycles and humidity if left in a car trunk etc.

This is why my SHTF bag (blow out kit and ammo) I keep in the vehicle has AR mags loaded with M855.

Magic_Salad0892
05-13-10, 11:42
My SHTF bag has Sierra 77 gr. SMK, and other SBR loads.

Working on getting BH Mk. 262 Mod. 1.

That will be awesome.

kalibos
05-13-10, 16:41
where can one find this ammo? i haven't seen it for sale anywhere on the net

Working on getting BH Mk. 262 Mod. 1.

That will be awesome.

Iraqgunz
05-14-10, 06:39
This is supposed to be a good substitute when it is in stock. I have used the BH .223 and it is very accurate.

http://www.ssarmory.com/556ammunition-2.aspx

http://www.sniperschool.com/store?page=shop.browse&category_id=3

where can one find this ammo? i haven't seen it for sale anywhere on the net

kalibos
05-14-10, 18:44
looking at the prices on some of this ammo i'm thinking about buying some equipment and loading my own since i don't plan on selling my guns and will always need ammo i would probably come out better in the end.

i know this isn't the right section but can someone make me a list of what bullet and powder i should buy to load something similar to the 5.56 TAP 75gr. ammo since i don't know squat about reloading?

i've been thinking about getting into it and after looking at ammo prices it has given me that final push i needed to make up my mind about it plus it will give me another hobby and something to do on rainy days;)

Magic_Salad0892
05-23-10, 05:00
I haven't found any BH Mk. 262 Mod. 01.

I did not know that it was regulated.

I shall keep shooting Sierra 77 gr. SMK.

C4IGrant
05-23-10, 19:57
I haven't found any BH Mk. 262 Mod. 01.

I did not know that it was regulated.

I shall keep shooting Sierra 77 gr. SMK.

Yes and so is T2 TAP.

You can find both, you just have to know where to look.

C4

Magic_Salad0892
05-25-10, 16:51
Is it legal for civilians?

snackgunner
03-25-11, 14:02
bump

Id like to hear what others like to shoot out of their SBR

Iraqgunz
03-26-11, 00:52
Can you be more specific? I shoot M193, Hornady steel TAP in 55gr. and 75gr. and markm loads for shits and giggles. I keep Hornady TAP T2 loaded for idiots.

bump

Id like to hear what others like to shoot out of their SBR

snackgunner
03-26-11, 08:34
Can you be more specific? I shoot M193, Hornady steel TAP in 55gr. and 75gr. and markm loads for shits and giggles. I keep Hornady TAP T2 loaded for idiots.

Im looking for some quality shtf and hd ammo for a 12.5" SBR. I would prefer this ammo to come at reasonable price, but maybe there is not such a thing. After reading Docs duty loads thread, the BH 5.56 50 gr TSX seems like the stuff to stock up on, but I dont know if I can afford it. I would rather buy a case of ammo and have a lot on hand. But if that TSX load would preform much better than most ammo out of a SBR, then maybe I should pick some up. I have a couple of thousand rounds for shtf (origionally meant for my 16" m4) but its all composed of 2 different loads and they are IMI m855 and BH .223 77gr SMK. I want to purchase some more ammo soon and I want to know what ammo it would be smart to stock up on next for my 12.5" SBR.

Iraqgunz
03-27-11, 16:17
I believe that the general consensus here will be don't get too wrapped up in the ammo minutia. I used to hear all sorts of stories about how ineffective the 55gr. bullet was until I saw someone get dropped with 2 to the chest about 15 years ago. In the end it's really about good shot placement.

I have no experience with the TSX load. Personally I think that you would be better off stocking up on some decent 5.56 ammo and then buying a few hundred rounds of something more exotic like the Black Hills 5.56 77gr. load (from ammunitiontogo) or a similar load from Silver State Armory.

if you can find some Hornady 75gr. TAP in 5.56 that would be good as well.

Im looking for some quality shtf and hd ammo for a 12.5" SBR. I would prefer this ammo to come at reasonable price, but maybe there is not such a thing. After reading Docs duty loads thread, the BH 5.56 50 gr TSX seems like the stuff to stock up on, but I dont know if I can afford it. I would rather buy a case of ammo and have a lot on hand. But if that TSX load would preform much better than most ammo out of a SBR, then maybe I should pick some up. I have a couple of thousand rounds for shtf (origionally meant for my 16" m4) but its all composed of 2 different loads and they are IMI m855 and BH .223 77gr SMK. I want to purchase some more ammo soon and I want to know what ammo it would be smart to stock up on next for my 12.5" SBR.

Ironman8
03-29-11, 22:04
After a little TOO MUCH research, here is what I have come to understand (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Also, when I reference the term "SBR" I will be referring to barrels in the 10"-11.5" range as I believe anything longer than 12" or so is adequate for a 100+ yd gun as far as velocity is concerned...

1) FMJ and HP/OTM use fragmentation as a wounding mechanism, but require a certain velocity in order to fragment reliably.

2) Bonded/Non-Bonded SPs use expansion as a wounding mechanism, and will reliably expand through a larger velocity range meaning lower velocities will still expand

3) SBRs lose alot of velocity = not good for #1 above, so you should stick with 5.56 loads for the extra velocity

4) 5.56 Hornady TAP T2 is the absolute best round that uses fragmentation as a wounding mechanism, but even then it will only give a max effective range of about 48 yds out of a 10.5" barrel...thus limiting it to CQB distances

5) There are a number of "expanding" rounds that will work well out of SBRs, you just have to decide if you want barrier performance or not.

6) All of these "best" loads are FREAKIN expensive! :blink:

Personally, I am giving a hard look at the Speer 24448 load for my "extended range, expanding barrier round" and trying to locate some TAP T2 for "CQB range, fragmenting round". I would like to stock up on as much as possible, however with the prices where they are, that might not be feasible to buy in bulk.

Note: Yes, these rounds may still be fatal when shot outside their "effective range", but it is still beneficial to know your ballistics and be prepared with the proper load for the right situation. I do 100% agree there is no substitution for good shot placement...so get out and get some training before worrying about what guns/gear/ammo to buy!

My Question:

Is there a round (in the .30 cent per round price range) of the soft point variety that has adequate expansion out of a 10.5" SBR? It doesn't have to be the "best" round out, just something economical, yet functional, that one could stock in bulk.

The only ballistic testing I can find is on these high dollar rounds...

Hope this helps some people, and thanks in advance for suggestions to my question...

markm
03-30-11, 08:40
trying to locate some TAP T2 for "CQB range, fragmenting round". I would like to stock up on as much as possible, however with the prices where they are, that might not be feasible to buy in bulk.

PM sent...

Evil1969SS>LS6
04-02-11, 21:46
My Question:
Is there a round (in the .30 cent per round price range) of the soft point variety that has adequate expansion out of a 10.5" SBR? It doesn't have to be the "best" round out, just something economical, yet functional, that one could stock in bulk.

The only Bonded round that comes to mind available in that range is XM223SP1, nearly identical to the 62gr. Fusion or Gold Dot at half the price. I've bulked up on it for that reason, should be fine out of 10-11.5 barrels.

Tactical Joke
04-26-11, 22:45
I picked up some HSM-556-17T-N (Hunting Shack 5.56x45 w/ Hornady 75gr OTM) that I plan to test out this spring. It was the closest thing I could find to the 75gr 5.56 Hornady loads.

I'm confident that my 5.56 55gr PPU would get the job done, but there is certainly some compelling evidence in support of the Hornady 75gr loads for business use.

Ironman8
04-26-11, 23:08
The only Bonded round that comes to mind available in that range is XM223SP1, nearly identical to the 62gr. Fusion or Gold Dot at half the price. I've bulked up on it for that reason, should be fine out of 10-11.5 barrels.

I don't know why I just saw this...do you have a source for this? Can't seem to find it online...

snackgunner
04-26-11, 23:31
http://palmettostatearmory.com/1829.php

Ironman8
04-27-11, 16:44
Thanks snackgunner!

Core781
02-16-20, 20:51
Any 60-70g copper hollow point projectile will be ideal for an 1/7” SBR down to 10”. MK318 mod 0/1 is the best barrier blind performance from SBR. A few others which are more or less hunting projectiles. Berger, Barnes, Sierra.

mark5pt56
02-17-20, 05:26
So it doesn't pop up in 2030