PDA

View Full Version : 6920HB Worthwhile?

pkowatch
05-10-10, 21:44
First and foremost m4carbine.net is AWESOME! I am compiling the components for my first AR, and the insight provided by the members has been invaluable. Now to my question. I am going to purchase a 6920 as the base for my build, and I have an opportunity to purchase a new 6920HB upper assembly. I just wanted to get some thoughts as to whether the heavy barrel is really a plus? I plan to shoot the heck out of the thing, but I am just wondering of the extra weight will be too much of a detriment. Any insight would be appreciated.

sff70
05-11-10, 08:04
If you are doing to do a lot of full auto, the HB is good.

About 99.9999% of users will not "need" a HB.

The heavier the rifle is up front, the less muzzle flip you'll have when you shoot it. Of course there is very little flip with a AR type rifle in the first place, and with proper grip technique, you can reduce flip to nothing w/o adding weight.

If you actually train with the rifle, or hump it, or deploy the rifle in a "social" circumstance, all that weight forward of the balance point makes it real heavy real quick. And that's before you add weight to the rifle in the form of a RDS, a light, a rail system, etc.

Much like backpacking, I have yet to find a guy who wished their rifle/carbine (or backpack) weighed more.

At one time I owned a Colt 6721, which has the HBAR barrel. Took a 5 day class with it and all that weight really sucked.

Bought a 6920 later on and and sold the 6721. I do not regret that decision one bit.

Regardless of what you get, do yourself a HUGE favor and get some training from a proficient instructor.

Hope that helps.

Belmont31R
05-11-10, 13:44
No.

The purpose of the HB is to add extra material as a heat sink for FA fire. On a semi auto there is no point, and the extra weight sucks.

On a reece/SPR type gun extra material adds stiffness to the barrel (not wide as an HB but longer) which increases accuracy. The M4 HB barrels are only heavy for about 6" under the handguards not as an accuracy aid but in absorbing heat from the chamber.

If you plan on doing a lot of drills and running around with the gun Id shed as much weight as you can. A heavier gun is slower transitioning from target to target, slower to get the gun up, etc. Yesterday RetreatHell and I were doing timed drills, and I was faster with my SR15 than my BCM 16" middy. The SR15 is a really light and snappy gun...

Stickman
05-11-10, 14:02
If you want a heavy weapon, its a good choice..... otherwise, you could certainly do better.

graffex
05-11-10, 15:54
No reason to get one over a standard 6920 IMHO.

pkowatch
05-12-10, 21:57
Thanks folks. I very much appreciate the input. I believe that I will definitely forgo the HB and go with the standard 6920.