PDA

View Full Version : Mullah Omar captured?

500grains
05-10-10, 22:19
check it out:

http://biggovernment.com/bthor/2010/05/10/exclusive-mullah-omar-captured/

Let's hope it pans out.

RWBlue
05-10-10, 22:38
I wounder how sure they are that it is him.

rdm
05-11-10, 00:01
I'm not too sure, no major news outlets seem to be talking about this (domestic and international).

Magic_Salad0892
05-11-10, 03:10
Let's ****in' hope it's him.

If it is, major morale boost on our side.

variablebinary
05-11-10, 03:30
Capture or kill all those ****ers.

We will win this war

Iraqgunz
05-11-10, 03:40
I used to think so. Unfortunately the events of the last few months have changed my mind. From the BS politics being played with the military personnel on the ground here to the complete apathetic, not giving a shit attitude of the ANA soldiers, etc....

We will win this war

Magic_Salad0892
05-11-10, 05:35
Clarify ''win''.

My definition of ''win'':

Neutralize the terrorist cell(s) known as Al Qaeda, and Taliban, capture or kill majority of members of said terrorist cell(s),

That's a war I think is winnable.

variablebinary
05-11-10, 05:49
Clarify ''win''.

My definition of ''win'':

Neutralize the terrorist cell(s) known as Al Qaeda, and Taliban, capture or kill majority of members of said terrorist cell(s),

That's a war I think is winnable.

I personally don't define winning by the Afghans ability to get cheeseburgers and ipods.

Killing terrorists in large amounts, or throwing them in prison is my own take on winning.

Though, IG is right, the politics is going to make life harder for the boots on the ground for sure.

9mm_shooter
05-11-10, 06:19
I wounder how sure they are that it is him.

They can usually confirm these sort of things through DNA testing of known members of his family.

rifleman2000
05-11-10, 07:56

We will win this war

We lost the war as soon as Hillary negotiated with the Taliban and Obama gave them our time table for withdrawal.

kaltesherz
05-11-10, 09:32
We lost the war as soon as Hillary negotiated with the Taliban and Obama gave them our time table for withdrawal.

It was lost WAAAAAY before that. Combination of ignoring OEF while putting all resources into OIF along with ridicuous ROE. Have you seen Karzai's 12 points?

rifleman2000
05-11-10, 09:37
It was lost WAAAAAY before that. Combination of ignoring OEF while putting all resources into OIF along with ridicuous ROE. Have you seen Zarzai's 12 points?

I have not seen Zarzai's 12 points. But when I was in Afghanistan in 2007-08 the Taliban was on the ropes. Their recent resurgence began as a last gasp, and since has been strengthened by American politics.

5pins
05-11-10, 11:49
How reliable is this source?

VooDoo6Actual
05-11-10, 12:01
Frankly, it's not that difficult.

How many terrorists have his right eye issues or DNA ?

Ridiculous in reality & to say we are in trouble w/ the current UODF/ROE et alia etc. is a huge understatement.

Oh ya, several deployments starting back in 02'.

dcollect
05-11-10, 12:26
I'm wondering how many times I need to hear about one of these clowns being captured or killed, multiple times each, without a retraction ever.

120mm
05-11-10, 12:49
I have not seen Zarzai's 12 points. But when I was in Afghanistan in 2007-08 the Taliban was on the ropes. Their recent resurgence began as a last gasp, and since has been strengthened by American politics.

And media, and a lack of central direction.

Seriously, the media makes it look like Afghanistan is on fire. Guess what. It's not.

That and we, that's us the U.S. have created the great majority of the so-called "Taliban" so we have a single enemy to fight.

The majority of the so-called "Taliban" are just good old red neck inbred boys who want to grow their poppy, beat their women and be left the hell alone. We may as well declare war on Appalachia and save ourselves the trip, if that's all we're going to do.

As far as ROE are concerned, yeah. Kind of disappointing that we now have to treat Afghans like human beings, whose country it is. Having spent awhile now, living among Afghans, I've gained a bit of perspective. You know, the kind of perspective you get when some shit-kicking testosterone soaked ignorant 82nd Airborne trooper lights up your car because it happens to be on the same road. Good thing though, 82nd Airborne can't shoot for shit.

The days of murdering a family or two because two bad guys ran into their house are over, friends. Put the JDAMs away.

The sad thing about the conflict is the enforced lack of Afghan to soldier interaction. That and the absence of central effort. A waste of American and Afghan lives, in my opinion. Personally, I want to win it.

rifleman2000
05-11-10, 12:57
And media, and a lack of central direction.

Seriously, the media makes it look like Afghanistan is on fire. Guess what. It's not.

That and we, that's us the U.S. have created the great majority of the so-called "Taliban" so we have a single enemy to fight.

The majority of the so-called "Taliban" are just good old red neck inbred boys who want to grow their poppy, beat their women and be left the hell alone. We may as well declare war on Appalachia and save ourselves the trip, if that's all we're going to do.

As far as ROE are concerned, yeah. Kind of disappointing that we now have to treat Afghans like human beings, whose country it is. Having spent awhile now, living among Afghans, I've gained a bit of perspective. You know, the kind of perspective you get when some shit-kicking testosterone soaked ignorant 82nd Airborne trooper lights up your car because it happens to be on the same road. Good thing though, 82nd Airborne can't shoot for shit.

The days of murdering a family or two because two bad guys ran into their house are over, friends. Put the JDAMs away.

The sad thing about the conflict is the enforced lack of Afghan to soldier interaction. That and the absence of central effort. A waste of American and Afghan lives, in my opinion. Personally, I want to win it.

You know as well as I do that the threat level depends on locality. I spent some time in Tagab. The most persistent threat was the local rednecks. But the valley was also home to Chechnyans, Saudis, and other terrorists from outside Afghanistan. Throw in the local Taliban VFW and the HIG. It was volatile. Our ROE matched our threat, JDAMS and all.

I was an advisor with the Afghan National Civil Order Police. They knew how to fight Taliban and deal with the people.

120mm
05-11-10, 13:00
You know as well as I do that the threat level depends on locality. I spent some time in Tagab. The most persistent threat was the local rednecks. But the valley was also home to Chechnyans, Saudis, and other terrorists from outside Afghanistan. Throw in the local Taliban VFW and the HIG. It was volatile. Our ROE matched our threat, JDAMS and all.

I was an advisor with the Afghan National Civil Order Police. They knew how to fight Taliban and deal with the people.

We probably saw each other

I was there, too. Al Asay valley and Kapisa province as well.

Al Asay mountain was one of the few places you could go "weapons free" and not have to worry about waxing mom and the kids.

BTW, units have personalities, and 101st units welcomed us with open arms. Even if we smelled bad and wore beards.

rifleman2000
05-11-10, 13:05
We probably saw each other

I was there, too. Al Asay valley and Kapisa province as well.

Al Asay mountain was one of the few places you could go "weapons free" and not have to worry about waxing mom and the kids.

BTW, units have personalities, and 101st units welcomed us with open arms. Even if we smelled bad and wore beards.

Al Asay was always nice...

I stayed at Fire Base Kutchbach for 3 months from DEC 07 to FEB 08. I was not with the 101st then, just a MTT team leader. I worked with 10th Group and 82nd Pathfinders (LRSD).

120mm
05-11-10, 13:35
We were a year apart. May-Jun 09 for me. 101st had a French Alpine Bn, the 23d with them when I was there.

rifleman2000
05-11-10, 13:37
We were a year apart. May-Jun 09 for me. 101st had a French Alpine Bn, the 23d with them when I was there.

Were the police checkpoints still there? The HESCO forts?

rickrock305
05-11-10, 13:43
I used to think so. Unfortunately the events of the last few months have changed my mind. From the BS politics being played with the military personnel on the ground here to the complete apathetic, not giving a shit attitude of the ANA soldiers, etc....

the problem is, even if we "win" we're still going to lose in the long run. just like we did in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan previously, etc.

120mm
05-11-10, 14:03
Were the police checkpoints still there? The HESCO forts?

Everyone was still HESCO'd up last time I was by (didn't spend time there, I went from Bagram to the field) and the HESCOs were looking, well, "furry".

I got around a little in 2009. Helmand, Kabul, Kapisa/Tagab, Badakhshan, Herat.