PDA

View Full Version : VTAC M&P Pistol?

Pages : [1] 2

Oscar 319
05-10-10, 23:25
Anyone got any intel or pics of the Viking Tactics M&P pistol?

From S&W's Facebook posting;

Come meet SGM (Ret.) Kyle Lamb at the 2010 NRA Show Sat. May 15 and Sun. May 16, S&W Booth#1627 . Be one of the 1st to see the new M&P VTAC Pistol. Kyle is a retired member of the US Elite Special Forces & a combat veteran with extensive tours in Iraq and Mogadishu. Kyle will be signing copies of his book, “Green Eyes and Black Rifles” and speaking about the M&P VTAC pistols and rifles.

orionz06
05-11-10, 06:47
interest = peaked

John_Wayne777
05-11-10, 07:02
It'll be interesting to see how it's set up. I'm guessing different sights, perhaps a slightly customized trigger, and a VTAC logo.

MAP
05-11-10, 08:02
I'm surprised S&W doesn't have a Magpul Dynamic edition. They would sell a boat load of them.

Mike

Sam
05-11-10, 08:44
Is there anything out there that doesn't have VTAC's logo on it? Just sayin'.

orionz06
05-11-10, 08:45
I'm surprised S&W doesn't have a Magpul Dynamic edition. They would sell a boat load of them.

Mike

S&W couldnt keep up with the demand...

MookNW
05-11-10, 10:00
Bring it!

Oscar 319
05-11-10, 10:24
S&W couldnt keep up with the demand...

I blame Haley and Costa for the 16 year back up at Raven Concealment (ok currently 70-75 days :p).

I assume a Magpul Dynamics M&P like the ones Travis and Chris use on their videos would sell like crazy.

mattpittinger
05-11-10, 10:48
It'll be interesting to see how it's set up. I'm guessing different sights, perhaps a slightly customized trigger, and a VTAC logo.

Maybe a factory textured grip would be nice too...out of the box they feel like soap.....

jaxman7
05-11-10, 10:53
Mega seller idea! Magpul Dynamics/Boresight Solutions M&P with a Raven holster! That would be great but imagine the backorder on it! ;)

jaxman7
05-11-10, 10:57
My Google Fu is weak. Couldn't find anything on the pistol. Grant quit teasing! Is it one of those 'if I tell you I'll have to kill you deals'!!!?? :D

Rider79
05-11-10, 11:13
I blame Haley and Costa for the 16 year back up at Raven Concealment (ok currently 70-75 days :p).

I assume a Magpul Dynamics M&P like the ones Travis and Chris use on their videos would sell like crazy.

Wouldn't that be a Spec-Ops M&P with a threaded barrel and Boresight treatment?

Finally got my Raven holster after 2 and a half months wait. I love it.

jdavis6576
05-11-10, 11:46
Hopefully it will be on display Friday as well as Saturday and Sunday. If so, I'll try to get some pics.

jaxman7
05-11-10, 12:05
JDavis are you going to be in Charlotte this weekend!?! I would love to go. That'd be great if you could take some pics. I know everybody on here who isn't lucky enough to go would love to see them.

Hopefully it will be on display Friday as well as Saturday and Sunday. If so, I'll try to get some pics.

M4arc
05-11-10, 13:56
I'm getting TWO!

SWATcop556
05-11-10, 15:58
I'm getting TWO!

I think your Glocks just cried a little. :p

Jim D
05-11-10, 16:14
Mega seller idea! Magpul Dynamics/Boresight Solutions M&P with a Raven holster! That would be great but imagine the backorder on it! ;)

It'd have to come with a fake beard too, so you could really look like a poser. ;)

jdavis6576
05-11-10, 18:47
JDavis are you going to be in Charlotte this weekend!?! I would love to go. That'd be great if you could take some pics. I know everybody on here who isn't lucky enough to go would love to see them.

I'm going to the NRA Show on Friday (I only live 1 1/2 hours from there) and I plan on taking some pics of the following if they're on display and they'll let me take some:

M&P VTAC
Gen4 G19/G23
S&W SD9

Of course I'll look for other cool things too!

jaxman7
05-11-10, 20:03
Yeh ha ha and a lifetime supply of cupcakes and twinkies. There is another forum out there that I would guarantee the guys on there would wear the beard too!!!!!!;)

It'd have to come with a fake beard too, so you could really look like a poser. ;)

Oscar 319
05-11-10, 21:58
I think your Glocks just cried a little. :p

Actually, I think M4arc's Glock's just laughed.

TehLlama
05-11-10, 23:33
Well... I just soiled myself.

I guess I now need a Julie Golob edition for the spouse, and a VTAC for myself.

Urabus23
05-12-10, 00:25
I wonder how it will compare to the PT M&P?

HK45
05-12-10, 13:52
I think his Glocks just threw up in their barrels a little..

aflin
05-12-10, 14:21
tagged...this is will be interesting

macnamara
05-12-10, 15:03
Googling it just brought me back here. LOL.

I'd be interested to see what it has to offer over the standard versions.

Lawdog537
05-12-10, 15:39
So, where are these pics we've heard about?

d90king
05-12-10, 16:07
Beuller? .... Beuller? ....

JHC
05-12-10, 16:19
I think his Glocks just threw up in their barrels a little..

ROFL!!! That's funny as shit!!!! :D

jaxman7
05-12-10, 16:27
Jdavis is going to the NRA convention in Charlotte this Friday and he mentioned pics would be taken of the vtac (its supposed to debut there I believe ) and posted here.

[/B]
So, where are these pics we've heard about?

theblackknight
05-12-10, 18:04
I'm going to the NRA Show on Friday (I only live 1 1/2 hours from there) and I plan on taking some pics of the following if they're on display and they'll let me take some:

M&P VTAC
Gen4 G19/G23
S&W SD9

Of course I'll look for other cool things too!

Ill be there all of sat and sunday. Going to the concert thing sat night too.

GLOCKMASTER
05-12-10, 19:51
Is there anything out there that doesn't have VTAC's logo on it? Just sayin'.

Yes Sam there is actually quite a bit of gear out there without the VTAC name on it. If you care to discuss it please feel free to pm me.

jaxman7
05-12-10, 20:01
Black Knight bring your 007/Jason Bourne super agent super spy camera with you!!!!! Ha ha!

[/B]
Ill be there all of sat and sunday. Going to the oncert thing sat night too.

Chadzillaa
05-13-10, 01:21
Please try to post pics friday!!! I might be picking up an M&P9 this weekend and need to know if i should wait on the VTAC :)

C4IGrant
05-13-10, 10:38
The pistol with be in FDE (both slide and frame). The pistol will feature VTAC's new sights.

Look for a retail price to be in the $600 range.

Currently, that is all we know.

C4

crowkiller
05-13-10, 10:48
Anyone know if its going to be available in 9, 40 and 45?

macnamara
05-13-10, 10:51

That's what I want to know. Dammit! I was all reay to buy a M&P9 today too.

C4IGrant
05-13-10, 10:58

Don't know and the guy I spoke to at S&W didn't know either.

My guess that since Mr. Lamb likes the 40 S&W that it will be in this caliber for certain.

C4

C4IGrant
05-13-10, 11:41
Ok, I just got the official S&W flyer (thank you Mr. Cloessner).

The gun will be made in both 9mm and 40.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/209921.pdf

C4

orionz06
05-13-10, 11:42
I am questioning those sights a great deal. Why 6 dots?

Littlelebowski
05-13-10, 11:46
I am questioning those sights a great deal. Why 6 dots?

Different points of aim at different ranges, I'd wager.

javentre
05-13-10, 11:47
Not sure how I feel about those sights. I'd buy the gun, without doubt, if it had Warrens.

orionz06
05-13-10, 11:51
Different points of aim at different ranges, I'd wager.

They are rows of tritium and rows of fiber optic rods. I just think they are a hair too busy, especially considering the trend towards two dots only. Kyle Lamb is wiser than I am, so I will wait for a better explanation.

CRab
05-13-10, 12:05
I like it...

ETA to move my sight talk to a new thread...

NCPatrolAR
05-13-10, 12:15
Don't know and the guy I spoke to at S&W didn't know either.

My guess that since Mr. Lamb likes the 40 S&W that it will be in this caliber for certain.

C4

It looks as if Smith pulled the ambi-safeties out of one of the FDE 45s and threw in black filler blocks for that photo. I would hope the production guns look better than that one

Anyone know the reasoning behind those sights?

John_Wayne777
05-13-10, 12:16
Those sights...yowsa...kind of busy for my tastes.

C4IGrant
05-13-10, 12:37
It looks as if Smith pulled the ambi-safeties out of one of the FDE 45s and threw in black filler blocks for that photo. I would hope the production guns look better than that one

Anyone know the reasoning behind those sights?

Am sure. This was a last minute deal.

C4

halfcocked
05-13-10, 12:37
Maybe Kyle is the Galileo of sight setups and we're just a bunch of flat-earthers, but I don't understand designing six dot sights while most are moving from 3 dot to 2 dot (or even 1). I'd really have to shoot that before I could judge, but my first inclination is that the sights are way too busy.

Of course, that doesn't mean that they won't sell like hotcakes. It will be great in the gunstores.

"It has tritium and fiber-optic! The best of both worlds!"

"TWICE the sight alignment of three dot sights."

"If two is one and one is none... then six is uber-tactical."

John_Wayne777
05-13-10, 12:50
Let's not get silly, here. Mr. Lamb isn't exactly some dude just off the street selling a new sight. I'm sure there are reasons behind the arrangement, even if they aren't readily apparent to me. I certainly wouldn't object to hearing the reasoning behind the setup.

I've said this many times and I'll say it once more:

Sights are an intensely personal thing. The only person who sees the world exactly as you do is...you. Therefore different sighting options may find different levels of utility with different individuals.

d90king
05-13-10, 12:55
Holy smokes Batman! Those are some serious sights... Very odd.:confused: My Sharpie would run out of ink trying to fix those... Maybe they have a blank rear version available that just isn't listed yet.

Maybe one of the VTAC gang can chime in and discuss the theory behind them.

John_Wayne777
05-13-10, 12:59
Ok....

As I understand it, the purpose of the multiple dots is to have a set of dots for daylight, and a set of dots for low light. (That was my first thought when seeing the sights) The FO for day, the tritiums for night. It's not a new concept at least on a front sight. I think it might be new to have multiple dots on the rear, though.

Dano5326
05-13-10, 13:04
Fiber optic atop, tritium below. If you have worked in places with stoopid bright glare & sunshine, ambient temps 100-130F, eyes squinting to razor slots.. the utility of fiber optics becomes readily apparent.

Kyle and I both ran TFO's at one point, over there. Some have noted deficiencies in durability with the TFO sights, and the profile is less than ideal IMO.

I expect his new offering to address these shortfalls.

John_Wayne777
05-13-10, 13:14
Thanks for your input, Dano. It's always good to hear from you.

Magsz
05-13-10, 14:48
So long as the plentiful dots arent distracting the setup makes alot of sense.

The fiber optics will be all but invisible in low light no light settings.

I wonder if the fiber rods will be replaceable? They look like they're completely enclosed ie permanent.

I also wonder if they've done any trigger work to the pistol or if its the typical M&P trigger assembly?

nickdrak
05-13-10, 15:04
I will probably pick one up and install a set of Heinie "Ledge" sights on it. I dig the finish on the slide.

JHC
05-13-10, 15:06
I was "ho-hum" about a special edition until seeing that flyer. That's pretty impressive. Thank you Grant.

Notable to JW's point . . . we have BTDT guys with all black sights, and BTDT guys with FO+Tritium and I'm told, some with MRDS. Not one answer.

BVickery
05-13-10, 15:40
Looks good, to bad I already picked up a M&P9 FS and can't afford another.

I'm curious though, any word about the sights? They adjustable, and will the be available for sale by themselves.

javentre
05-13-10, 15:45
I'm curious though, any word about the sights? They adjustable, and will the be available for sale by themselves.

I will certainly sell you the set off my pistol, if the gun price isn't outrageous.

I made an effort to make sure all of my guns have similar sight pictures, I don't plan on breaking that model now.

macnamara
05-13-10, 16:58
I really like it, and am glad I fought the urge to by a regular M&P9 today.

Any idea on a roll out date for these?

EDIT: Just saw the June 2010 launch date on the flyer. Gonne have to get my wife to freeze me in some snow like Cartman! ;)

Jim D
05-13-10, 17:48
I hope it comes with a better trigger than the standard models.

The sights seem like a good option for folks that like FO's. The FS height seems like it might be an issue in some holsters, but I could be wrong.

If I wanted to run FO's on a carry gun, I'd sharpie out the rear Tritium dots and run those.

Personally I find anything on my rear sight to be a distraction, but as has been said plenty of times before...sights are a highly personal choice. So while I personally don't care for them, I think it's a neat idea.

One thing is for sure, S&W seems to be one of the most responsive companies in bringing new products to the market (of the big manufacturers.)

threeheadeddog
05-13-10, 18:27
I love it. If I can add a thumb safty I will be buying this version within a month of its release. If Grant carries it I will order it with apex accessories.

And as far as the sights here is a quote of mine from a previous thread reguarding the TFO sights.

It is already a very wide front sight, combine that with the fact that it sits so far back on the gun and it is just not very good for what it is. I think the design could be way better implemented with a taller front sight that had FO over tritium where the tritium fed the FO, and the sight stepped to a narrower width around the FO.

I would love to find out that there was a channel between the tritium and FO so the FO would illuminate in the dark.

MadcapMagician
05-13-10, 19:53
I've seen the double insert on some other sights that were being developed by this guy...

http://www.centralfloridatacticalconference.com/images/Bio_Pics/doc24%2020jan08%20stop%20action%20right%20hand%20rs.jpg

JHC
05-14-10, 08:13
And who is that man?

NCPatrolAR
05-14-10, 08:20
And who is that man?

Dave Harrington

C4IGrant
05-14-10, 08:23
I hope it comes with a better trigger than the standard models.

You actually don't want S&W to put ther Performance Center stuff in it. Why? Because it really drives the cost, delays the gun and there are much better options out there (Apex Tactical).

C4

Steve
05-14-10, 08:32
dave's sights are a bit different but effective

Jim D
05-14-10, 08:40
You actually don't want S&W to put ther Performance Center stuff in it. Why? Because it really drives the cost, delays the gun and there are much better options out there (Apex Tactical).

C4

Ok, then why not sell them with the Apex?

They released the VTAC carbine with the JP single stage trigger, so it doesn't seem like S&W is 100% against aftermarket parts in their weapons.

If people are willing to wait in line for Noveske carbines, and Raven holsters... I wouldn't think waiting for a limited edition pistol would be that big of a deal. Would the delay be any longer than turn around time on an Apex instal?

C4IGrant
05-14-10, 10:08
Ok, then why not sell them with the Apex?

They released the VTAC carbine with the JP single stage trigger, so it doesn't seem like S&W is 100% against aftermarket parts in their weapons.

If people are willing to wait in line for Noveske carbines, and Raven holsters... I wouldn't think waiting for a limited edition pistol would be that big of a deal. Would the delay be any longer than turn around time on an Apex instal?

LOL, simple. S&W wants to use their components.

Comparing the VTAC rifle to the VTAC pistol is apples and oranges. S&W doesn't make a single stage or two stage trigger so they had no choice, but to go out and get those parts. S&W MAKES performance sear's.

Yes, way longer. There are like 10 people in all of S&W PC shop and as I said, you are much better off just installing the APEX components yourself as you will save money AND time.

C4

JHC
05-14-10, 10:39

C4

+1 I have the Pro 9. Sweet trigger but IMO too light for general purpose SD purposes and it appears the PC sear may be more problematic for reset issues. My next MP whenever that is will start stock and I'll shoot it smooth. The last few I've sampled in stores have not been bad at all. And even tho the PC reset is more positive when dry firing than stock, when running the gun in live fire fast its still undetectable to me. But after 200 rds it was never an issue and I don't care anymore. It was easy to learn to get off the trigger at speed.

Jim D
05-14-10, 10:49
LOL, simple. S&W wants to use their components.

Comparing the VTAC rifle to the VTAC pistol is apples and oranges. S&W doesn't make a single stage or two stage trigger so they had no choice, but to go out and get those parts. S&W MAKES performance sear's.

Yes, way longer. There are like 10 people in all of S&W PC shop and as I said, you are much better off just installing the APEX components yourself as you will save money AND time.

C4

ok. In the mean time, people will be buying the Lamb/VTAC endorsed pistol that ships with a less than desireable trigger.

If I had a name worth Kyle's, I wouldn't think I'd want it attached to anything less than my own personal stardards.

Does Lamb run a stock trigger in his personal M&P?

MookNW
05-14-10, 10:52
Kyle uses sheer intimidation to make the gun fire, he needs no trigger.

C4IGrant
05-14-10, 11:00
ok. In the mean time, people will be buying the Lamb/VTAC endorsed pistol that ships with a less than desireable trigger.

If I had a name worth Kyle's, I wouldn't think I'd want it attached to anything less than my own personal stardards.

Does Lamb run a stock trigger in his personal M&P?

A lot of shooters like bone stock triggers. Remember that a better trigger really accounts for 10% of the accuracy. The other 90% is in your melon. ;)

C4

John_Wayne777
05-14-10, 11:20
I wouldn't think waiting for a limited edition pistol would be that big of a deal.

Grant has some experience in that realm as he is the sole distributor for another limited edition M&P pistol which took well over a year to go from "Let's do this!!" to actually being delivered.

It seems relatively simple...but it isn't. Really.

Speaking as someone who has had all sorts of trigger configs in M&P's, the stock trigger can be shot every bit as well as any modded trigger I've ever tried. As I've said in other places, I really like the Apex trigger setup and some of the trigger mods...but they aren't necessary to make the gun shootable.

C4IGrant
05-14-10, 11:24
Grant has some experience in that realm as he is the sole distributor for another limited edition M&P pistol which took well over a year to go from "Let's do this!!" to actually being delivered.

It seems relatively simple...but it isn't. Really.

Speaking as someone who has had all sorts of trigger configs in M&P's, the stock trigger can be shot every bit as well as any modded trigger I've ever tried. As I've said in other places, I really like the Apex trigger setup and some of the trigger mods...but they aren't necessary to make the gun shootable.

Right.

I have too MUCH experience with factory built "custom" M&P pistols. So much so, that I shy away from the hassle of them. ;)

C4

TehLlama
05-14-10, 13:16
I love it. If I can add a thumb safty I will be buying this version within a month of its release. If Grant carries it I will order it with apex accessories.

THIS! It seems to want a Trijicon RMR mounted on it, but from there I'd be set.

jdavis6576
05-14-10, 16:09
Below are several pics of the VTAC M&P. I asked the rep if this had any upgrades to the trigger and he said it would not come with the Pro Sear but "might have a tactical sear", whatever that means. Pull should between 4-5 pounds. I also asked about versions with a manual safety and he said it was possible but if they came out with that option it wouldn't be any time soon.

On a side note, I BEGGED for a G19 sized M&P when talking with one of their enginerds. I don't think he cared for a commoner making the recommendation...

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3208.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3207.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3206.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3205.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3202.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3200.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3199.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3198.jpg

Rated21R
05-14-10, 16:16
way more sexy in real life. i really like the finish on that.

javentre
05-14-10, 16:22
Was the barrel threaded? Those sights are pretty tall....

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-14-10, 16:24
Where are the red dots on each stack for the full traffic light effect?

Seems like there has to be a better engineering solution than this. Burying a tritium gas tube in the middle of the fiber optic or something.

Good looking handgun.

jdavis6576
05-14-10, 16:27
Was the barrel threaded? Those sights are pretty tall....

No threaded barrels on these samples. The sights looked even taller in my hand than the photos show.

SamColt
05-14-10, 16:29
If they're going to make a tan pistol I don't know why they don't make it tan. The black components mixed in make it look like it was a pain in the ass to make tan ones. But I'll probably still buy one.

threeheadeddog
05-14-10, 16:47
Well, I see frame fillers in the demo guns.

If these actually do come this way, and its not just some haphazard thrown together demo gun, can a certified armorer/S&W dealer(Grant) order the thumb safty and install it before it ships? Or is the thumb safty not a purchasable part?

Also any idea on release time?

NCPatrolAR
05-14-10, 16:58
That's a serious notch

M4arc
05-14-10, 17:01
A lot of shooters like bone stock triggers. Remember that a better trigger really accounts for 10% of the accuracy. The other 90% is in your melon. ;)

C4

I'm one of those that wants the VTAC bone stock. If I see fit after the first 1000 rounds I'll put an APEX sear in it or have Subzero do a trigger job (he does excellent M&P trigger jobs) but give it to me as basic and simple as possible and I'll tweak it.

BTW, that is one sexy-assed handgun!

(and yes, my Glocks are going to be pissed :D)

dialM4murder
05-14-10, 20:25
Looks good. However, I'm becoming jaded with this new FDE phenomenon. Make mine all black.

M4arc
05-14-10, 21:36
And who is that man?

Super Dave Harrington.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3208.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3207.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3206.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3205.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3202.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3200.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3199.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3198.jpg

Very cool, thank you for the pictures! I love that gun but I have no idea what's going on with those sights...

Fire_Medic
05-14-10, 21:41
Super Dave Harrington.

Very cool, thank you for the pictures! I love that gun but I have no idea what's going on with those sights...

I'm not the smartest guy in the world but it would seem those sights are tall and have 2 sets of dots for use with and without a suppressor.

Jim D
05-14-10, 21:42
I'm not the smartest guy in the world but it would seem those sights are tall and have 2 sets of dots for use with and without a suppressor.

If that was the intention of those sights, I would think the pistol would ship with suppressor capability out of the box. ;)

Cagemonkey
05-14-10, 21:50
The top dots on the sights are Fiber Optic while I'll guess the bottom dots are tritium night sights.

Oscar 319
05-14-10, 21:52
I am guessing that the fiber optics are the "primary" sight and the tritiums is the low-light/night "back up" sight.

As stated before, it looks too busy for me. I would love to try it to see how it works.

The gun is good looking. I was hoping for an olive green slide and black frame with olive grip inserts. :cool:

Thanks for the pics jdavis.

jaxman7
05-14-10, 21:54
way more sexy in real life. i really like the finish on that.

Agreed! Thanks for the pics man!

Fire_Medic
05-14-10, 22:01
If that was the intention of those sights, I would think the pistol would ship with suppressor capability out of the box. ;)

That's my guess, we'll know more when all the specs are released right.
:cool:

Urabus23
05-15-10, 00:06
Your pics suck!!;) Now I want to buy another M&P:D

Seriously though, nice pics of a great looking gun. FO sights must be strong so you don't notice the night sights during daylight, right?

I'm no marksman, but I like the stock triggers on my M&P's.

glocktogo
05-15-10, 00:19
If they had just added a threaded barrel, I'd be all over it. :(

Rider79
05-16-10, 11:09

Since you mentioned it, is that something that can be done to a regular M&P? Remove the thumb safety in that manner and still be operational?

Magsz
05-16-10, 11:27
Since you mentioned it, is that something that can be done to a regular M&P? Remove the thumb safety in that manner and still be operational?

Yes, its doable, you have to get the frame plugs though.

theblackknight
05-17-10, 15:24
I am guessing that the fiber optics are the "primary" sight and the tritiums is the low-light/night "back up" sight.

Thats exactly why. I asked the man himself. He said the fibers are easy to see from behind some serious Oakleys and when the sun is glaring in your face. If you guys think these sights are tall, . . . . .:eek:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/mxer1/2010-05-15163504.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/mxer1/2010-05-15163530.jpg

John_Wayne777
05-17-10, 15:42
True...but keep in mind that the sights on the FN gun are as tall as they are because the weapon was designed around use with a suppressor.

subzero
05-17-10, 16:24

Absolutely. You can drop a whole new sear pack into a gun with a manual safety to give yourself a gun without a safety and/or with a magazine safety.

I haven't seen those frame cutout blanks before. I wonder if those will be offered as a new part or if they were a prototype-only kinda thing.

C45P312
05-17-10, 17:05
I would love to get a FDE frame for my M&P9.

R Moran
05-17-10, 18:41
Whats most interesting to me, is that for all the boohooing over the "crappy" stock M&P trigger, with is faint reset, etc etc.
Apparently, VTAC/Lamb didn't feel the need to address it.
Maybe its not so bad afterall.

Bob

JHC
05-17-10, 19:21
Whats most interesting to me, is that for all the boohooing over the "crappy" stock M&P trigger, with is faint reset, etc etc.
Apparently, VTAC/Lamb didn't feel the need to address it.
Maybe its not so bad afterall.

Bob

Agreed. Mine has the PC sear and if I were starting over I'd get a stock trigger and shoot it smooth. The PC sears better reset is still not that detectable at speed (not like a Glock) but this long time Glock shooter figured it out in no more than 200 rds and can run it as fast as I can hit without a problem.
I'll be watching for recurrence of failure to reset (PC sear) but for local games, that's not a big worry.

TehLlama
05-17-10, 21:10
I think Grant absolutely nailed it - stock trigger will sell the most quantity, and the Apex parts will end up being bought by M&P aficionados anyway.

If the thumb safety version comes out, I'm getting it. Period.
The sights may turn into a pair of 10-8's, but everything else on this looks amazing.

ash
05-20-10, 11:38
very good looking guns

subzero
05-26-10, 11:00
I haven't seen those frame cutout blanks before. I wonder if those will be offered as a new part or if they were a prototype-only kinda thing.

I know quoting myself is lame but in case anyone else was wondering: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=39247&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

556mp
05-26-10, 20:25
Absolutely. You can drop a whole new sear pack into a gun with a manual safety to give yourself a gun without a safety and/or with a magazine safety.

Not sure if this is the "Correct" way... But on my M&P45 w/ Thumb safety I just knocked out the rear roll pin, removed the sear block, and removed the safety lever from it and re installed the sear block... Functioned fine.

The detente was still in the sear block but did nothing. Did not bother me any :)

As far as mag safety you can just remove the spring that pushes the arm out no? not sure.

subzero
05-26-10, 21:36
That is a functional and field expedient way to remove the thumb safety, though not my preferred method. At the very least I'd pull the spring and detent to avoid any small parts rattling around loose inside my gun. However, I'd rather swap in a new sear pack than mess around with the tiny springs and detents inside of a sear pack. FWIW, S&W recommends replacing sear packs as a whole instead of messing about with small parts as it's simply much less of a hassle that way.

Removing the magazine safety (which I would NEVER do, nope) is easily accomplished by removing the mag safety lever and spring and inserting a small spring to ensure the yellow sear block lever (can't think of the right name for the stupid thing) is pushed all the way to the left all the time. I use a cut down 1911 mag release spring since I have a few lying about.

supersix4
05-27-10, 23:32
Is June still a good date for this pistol to start showing up?

M4arc
05-28-10, 11:28
Is June still a good date for this pistol to start showing up?

I hope so but I believe C4iGrant said S&W will start the production run in June :(

brushy bill
05-28-10, 17:27
If the thumb safety version comes out, I'm getting it.

Ditto. 40 S&W with thumb safety. I even like the concept behind the sights.

ck1
05-29-10, 10:47
Those sights look really confusing to me especially after having gone back to plain all-black irons, have a feeling my eyes would agree. Thinking they're more "tacti-cool" than actually tactical.

BWT
05-29-10, 11:34
Those sights look really confusing to me especially after having gone back to plain all-black irons, have a feeling my eyes would agree. Thinking they're more "tacti-cool" than actually tactical.

Bright during the day and bright at night was the concept as far as I can tell.

Fiber optics during the day, tritium during the night.

Actually seems like a good idea, in theory, I haven't shot one, so, I don't know how well it executes, but I bet if Kyle Lamb's going to put his signature/logo on it, he's tested it and approved.

whiterabbit05
05-29-10, 11:37
Only way of having fiber optics and tritiums without violating TruGlo's patent on their TFOs.

kmrtnsn
05-31-10, 20:16
Grant,

Will this VTAC version be available as a 9L?

Thanks,

Ken

C4IGrant
05-31-10, 20:58
Grant,

Will this VTAC version be available as a 9L?

Thanks,

Ken

Not that I am aware of.

C4

kmrtnsn
05-31-10, 21:12
Thanks Grant.

Marc
06-08-10, 03:45
Does any one have an idea if the VTac M&P will be also available in .45ACP in the future?

Thanks.
Marc.

Urabus23
06-08-10, 05:49
Any word on possible cost?

Lumpy196
06-08-10, 10:18
I'd be far more worried about how fragile that front sight is than how "busy" the sight picture is.

Magsz
06-08-10, 13:00
Lumpy,

What makes you think the sight is fragile? Its height and relative thickness...or lack thereof?

jaxman7
06-08-10, 19:39
Has anybody on here bought and used the vtac setup of sights yet? Would love to hear any feedback! Thanks,

-Jax

GLOCKMASTER
06-08-10, 19:42
Has anybody on here bought and used the vtac setup of sights yet? Would love to hear any feedback! Thanks,

-Jax

As of yet they are not on the market.

brushy bill
06-08-10, 20:45
I was interested in one of these until I posted a question concerning the 9mm on a .40 frame and Freuler closed the thread with an "its already been answered" note...never did find the answer with the search function or on any of the stickies. Maybe it is there somewhere, but certainly not something I could easily find.

M4arc
06-08-10, 21:03
I was interested in one of these until I posted a question concerning the 9mm on a .40 frame and Freuler closed the thread with an "its already been answered" note...never did find the answer with the search function or on any of the stickies. Maybe it is there somewhere, but certainly not something I could easily find.

Because of that you don't want one of the VTAC pistols any more? That's excessive...

The subject of the M&P being designed and built for the 40 S&W has been covered dozens of times here.

brushy bill
06-08-10, 21:14
The subject of the M&P being designed and built for the 40 S&W has been covered dozens of times here.[/QUOTE]

Understood. Don't want to beat a dead horse, but I had a specific question that goes beyond that fact and couldn't find an answer using either the threads or google search with M4carbine.net as site (forum search function eliminates shorter search words such as MP9). Didn't think posting a question folks could answer or ignore would be a problem.

C4IGrant
06-08-10, 21:27
Understood. Don't want to beat a dead horse, but I had a specific question that goes beyond that fact and couldn't find an answer using either the threads or google search with M4carbine.net as site (forum search function eliminates shorter search words such as MP9). Didn't think posting a question folks could answer or ignore would be a problem.

I read your post about the 9mm M&P being more durable than an M&P in 40. Yes that is possible, but no one can really say for certain and is at best a guess.

So your question was hypothetical. Was this your "specific question?"

C4

JohnN
06-09-10, 22:44
Double tap, sorry

JohnN
06-09-10, 22:45
As of yet they are not on the market.

Can you share any sight dimensions with us Jeff? Notch size, front size width and height, so on and so forth.

GLOCKMASTER
06-10-10, 15:41
Can you share any sight dimensions with us Jeff? Notch size, front size width and height, so on and so forth.

Sorry I cannot as I do not have that information at hand. However, I will check and see if I can get that information for you.

xdfan
07-07-10, 16:18
All I have to say is why? Just buy a hi point and call it good.

Littlelebowski
07-07-10, 16:34

Trolling or what?

C4IGrant
07-07-10, 16:36

Good for what? Digging a hole? Holding a door open? The Hi-Point is not good for a single thing.

C4

jaxman7
07-07-10, 18:21
I may have finally found my sig line.

dookie1481
07-07-10, 19:41
Trolling or what?

Look at his screen name.

Jay

M4arc
07-07-10, 22:14

Consider this a warning. I don't know if you're trolling or you don't know, what you don't know but I looked at your IP and profile and something looks fishy. I will be keeping my eye on you so if you're trolling save yourself the time and log out. If not I HIGHLY suggest you spend more time reading and learning than posting.

Cwood
07-07-10, 22:26
Have these starting shipping to dealers yet? Also, any word on the number being produced?

l8apex
07-07-10, 23:14
Looks interesting, I'm guessing that two variants may be for sale. One with the suppressor sights/threaded barrel and one standard?

variablebinary
07-08-10, 07:03
Grant,

Any chance an M&P 9mm VTAC can be purchased from you with a safety lever and threaded barrel?

thx

xdfan
07-08-10, 12:25
I guess I'm doing a bit of both. I just think that it is absurd that the gun comes with a six dot sight system. Fiber optic sights above night sights? Really? Why didn't they just put fiber optic night sights on the gun and call it good? Besides, the gun is most likely going to be $200 more than a standard M&P pistol just for those sights and the VTAC stamp on it. I just don't see the point.

Littlelebowski
07-08-10, 12:42
Well, you're not offering much except admitted trolling and a lack of rational discussion.

John_Wayne777
07-08-10, 12:55
I guess I'm doing a bit of both.

Good enough for me.

We don't tolerate any trolling here. If you have a legitimate question, ask it. If you have a legitimate opinion, share it in a respectful manner. If you just want to stir up trouble, do it elsewhere.

Jim D
07-08-10, 13:01
I guess I'm doing a bit of both. I just think that it is absurd that the gun comes with a six dot sight system. Fiber optic sights above night sights? Really? Why didn't they just put fiber optic night sights on the gun and call it good? Besides, the gun is most likely going to be $200 more than a standard M&P pistol just for those sights and the VTAC stamp on it. I just don't see the point.

Have you shot FO sights in the pitch black night?

Have you shot plain black night sights looking into the blinding sun?

If you read Dano's post you'd understand the thinking behind the design. Whether or not it suites your needs is another story.

If you don't want it, don't buy it. There is plenty of stuff on the market that many people don't want...but you don't see everyone whining in every thread about how they don't want something.

M4arc
07-08-10, 13:05
Thanks to JW_777 for keeping an eye on this while I was out riding.

xdfan, I don't understand the sights either but here are my thoughts;

1. Just because I don't understand them doesn't mean they don't have a purpose or work.
2. Someone a lot better at shooting and a real deal guy spec'd them so I'll defer to his experience and keep my trap shut until I try them.
3. Sights are pentiful, relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.
4. I highly doubt it will be $200 more but I do like the FDE frame and would be willing to pay a bit extra for it. Sure it has nothing to do with function but I have so many black guns (my wife thinks it's the same gun) an FDE one would be cool to own.

See man, you can disagree or have a different opinion in a respectful way without getting an infraction. Smart remarks and admitting to trolling is not the way to do it.

orionz06
07-08-10, 13:19
2. Someone a lot better at shooting and a real deal guy spec'd them so I'll defer to his experience and keep my trap shut until I try them.
3. Sights are pentiful, relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.
4. I highly doubt it will be $200 more but I do like the FDE frame and would be willing to pay a bit extra for it. Sure it has nothing to do with function but I have so many black guns (my wife thinks it's the same gun) an FDE one would be cool to own.

I am pretty sure Kyle Lamb wouldn't have them if they didn't accomplish something. I imagine lots of people were hesitant to use a two dot sight, or a u-notch sight and they are the norm now.

On the frame, yes, the .45 guys make me very jealous with their FDE option.

C4IGrant
07-08-10, 16:59
Grant,

Any chance an M&P 9mm VTAC can be purchased from you with a safety lever and threaded barrel?

thx

I don't think they are going to offer them with a TS. A threaded barrel might be an option though.

C4

Magsz
07-08-10, 17:20
I don't think they are going to offer them with a TS. A threaded barrel might be an option though.

C4

At least the frames appear to have the cutouts for the thumb safeties.

Here's to hoping that we can add them to the guns if its not offered as a factory option.

B.K.
07-08-10, 21:56
C4 are we getting closer to release?

Mat
07-08-10, 22:17
C4 are we getting closer to release?

I think Grant just got a new sig line with that one ;)

DMR
08-09-10, 09:54
Are these any closer to shipping?

rbabbitt767
08-09-10, 10:28
Is there any word on whether or not these will be offered in 45?

This is my only picture. I could have sworn I took more. This gun fascinated me.
http://i35.tinypic.com/jkx1jk.jpg

C4IGrant
08-09-10, 10:34

This is my only picture. I could have sworn I took more. This gun fascinated me.

I don't think so.

C4

BWT
08-09-10, 13:10

http://i35.tinypic.com/jkx1jk.jpg

I haven't seen anything, but I'm also not somebody who'd know something like that.

But I do think Kyle Lamb has a preference to .40 S&W as his handgun caliber of choice, so I'd assume they're only going to be offered in his preferred format.

Business_Casual
08-09-10, 13:24
What does Kyle state as his reason for preferring 40, I didn't know that.

That is a nice looking M&P. Too bad there isn't any current info.

B_C

Mjolnir
08-09-10, 15:24
Handsome pistol, that.

Magsz
08-09-10, 16:52
Anyone have an update as to when this will be available?

Chomping at the bit in anticipation.

BWT
08-09-10, 17:47
What does Kyle state as his reason for preferring 40, I didn't know that.

That is a nice looking M&P. Too bad there isn't any current info.

B_C

That's what I recall, I'll go grab his book off the shelf.

I may be mistaken, let me verify.

I went through the Glossary real quick, referenced a few pages, can't seem to find his preference for a handgun caliber anyway, but I seem to recall distinctly that he preferred that caliber.

I may very well be mistaken, I couldn't find it in writing.

Magsz
08-09-10, 18:39
I dont believe you're mistaken.

I believe CAG is running .40 cal glocks, or was at one point? Im sure there is a reason why they were doing that.

A buddy of mine attended VTAC pistol 1.5 and mentioned that kyle said he preferred .40 cal. No other information was shared beyond that and this is third hand info so take it with a grain of salt.

M4Fundi
08-10-10, 03:42
Back to the sights. I like a deep notch. I do not think during the "day" I would notice the Trit Vials with a bright FO hovering over them and in "darkness" obviously the FO would disappear and the Trit Vials would only be visible. I will be anxious to see how well these work at twilight and low mixed lighting conditions where both sets "might" compete. I wish they came in a strait 8 style. If under a certain light the FO & Trit did compete atleast you will be making hits on the gig line. Then again Kyle is light years ahead in knowledge than I am so I look forward to hopefully trying them someday.

hworang00
08-11-10, 23:47
I wanted to get my 9c refinished to FDE but now that this is coming out, I WANT THIS GUN!! It's everything I want in a pistol right now. I love my 9c and so this will be the gun of my dreams (some may say small dreams but I know what I like :D). Anyone have any news on the release date and what kind of internals it might be sporting? No responses in a day so I figured I'd start the fire again...haha Hope everyone has a great day!

whiterabbit05
08-12-10, 01:00
delete

96 SS
08-12-10, 10:05
Will this be limited production or another ongoing option?

I am interested in one, but wont have the money for a couple months.

dirt_diver
11-06-10, 22:51
FYI for those interested:
I am quite interested in this pistol, so a couple of weeks ago I called S&W customer service and inquired as to its availability. I was told that it would be available sometime in November, and be in 9mm and 40S&W.
I am a know-nothing noob who has and continues to learn much from this site, so basically I am wondering if anyone of the pros/insiders/vendors has any additional info.
As always, thanks a lot...

kmrtnsn
11-06-10, 22:57
I've had one on order since June. I talked to my dealer yesterday and was told that S&W is still taking orders to guage the size of the production run and have yet to produce a single pistol. From that I don't expect to see one in my hands until after SHOT at the earliest.

dirt_diver
11-06-10, 23:05
Thanks for the reply!
I hate the misinformation that gets put out there...

kmrtnsn
11-06-10, 23:16
Don't get me wrong, I am really hoping that you are right and the S&W Rep is blowing smoke up my dealer's butt; I'd much rather get one this month rather than next year. Hell, I already have a Kydex holster, two mag pouches, and 6 magazines for a pistol that I don't even own yet!

dirt_diver
11-06-10, 23:41
Haha I'm right there with you. I have a threaded 9mm barrel for a pistol I don't even own yet and will likely be ordering a RCS or Comp Tac sooner than later.

Steve S.
11-07-10, 00:24
I would love to get 30 minutes with those sights. Just to see how they run. But I love the pistol. Any word on Trigger work?

kmrtnsn
11-07-10, 00:30
When I ordered mine the word was that a standard trigger group was going to be included which was fine for me. Personally I would prefer a six pound trigger but with a short, crisp, tactile reset.

JHC
11-07-10, 05:38
With the latest word getting out (on this board mostly) about newer guns shipping with the MA sear block and some improved trigger bits which gave an improved reset etc - this might have been well worth the delay - but one might want to insure these guns get that treatment. Just sayin'.

JohnN
11-07-10, 13:30
With the latest word getting out (on this board mostly) about newer guns shipping with the MA sear block and some improved trigger bits which gave an improved reset etc - this might have been well worth the delay - but one might want to insure these guns get that treatment. Just sayin'.

Problem is there is no way of knowing whether the gun has the upgraded parts without disassembling it. Can't imagine most dealers are up for that.:(

B.K.
12-22-10, 08:48
Any news on this? I talked to S&W last month and they said be looking around SHOT 2011!

Irish10
12-22-10, 14:03
Talking about this?
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/209921.pdf

B.K.
12-22-10, 14:48
That would be correct!

ash
12-22-10, 15:04
Any news on this? I talked to S&W last month and they said be looking around SHOT 2011!

Comes out feb.11 retail is $779.00

dc202
02-01-11, 16:53

Good to know. I hope they make enough so that I can get one.

Kevin P
02-01-11, 17:31
So I looked at the pdf flyer and wonder what is different with this vtac edition besides the coating and the sights?

sobiloff
02-01-11, 17:40
Dunno if there are any obvious other differences, but S&W finally has a page on their website for it:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_783001_-1_757954_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

dookie1481
02-10-11, 12:12

That's the MSRP. I would suspect street price to be $600-650 based on the other models' prices. If so, that's a pretty good deal. $150-200 for some expensive sights, a cerakoted slide, and an FDE frame. I imagine some people would pay that price for an FDE pistol alone.

eternal24k
02-10-11, 12:17
so is it cerakote over melonite?

dookie1481
02-10-11, 12:44

PVD, sorry.

dookie1481
02-10-11, 12:51

PVD, sorry.

okie john
02-10-11, 13:57
Is there anything out there that doesn't have VTAC's logo on it?

Army pensions are calculated on base pay, so a soldier who spent his time in the motor pool gets the same as one who went into harm's way. A buddy of mine who retired at E-8 after 20 years in SF gets about $1,300 per month. CSM Lamb was an E-9, so call it $1,500--tops.

Both men survived dangerous, low-paying careers, and now a grateful nation gives them beer money.

I think he should go for it.

Okie John

Fried Chicken Blowout
02-10-11, 14:01
Army pensions are calculated on base pay, so a soldier who spent his time in the motor pool gets the same as one who went into harm's way. A buddy of mine who retired at E-8 after 20 years in SF gets about $1,300 per month. CSM Lamb was an E-9, so call it $1,500--tops.

Both men survived dangerous, low-paying careers, and now a grateful nation gives them beer money.

I think he should go for it.

Okie John

Yah, really... He got experience that give he an opportunity to make a name for himself in training. If he can turn it into a retirement and something to leave his family one day then he's really making the American dream come true.

Magsz
02-10-11, 15:25
Sam,

That comment makes you sound like a bit of a douche...

The guy has transferable knowledge gained through experience. Plenty of people are willing to pay for it and plenty of people are willing to pay for GOOD quality products with LEGIT input from someone that happens to know what they're talking about.

We are lucky in the firearms industry that we have men of integrity that generally wont just slap their name onto anything that crosses under their nose covered in dollar bills. To imply that Kyle Lamb is one of the shills that eats at the altar of cash is just downright insulting to him, his students and the rest of the gun owning public that appreciates finely designed products born out of a perceived need and backed by tons of experience and knowledge.

96 SS
02-11-11, 11:49
A terrible picture I took at SHOT. I really liked the sights - were not confusing in the least.

Kchen986
02-11-11, 12:29
Do the sights require specialized holsters? They look a tad tall.

Cameron
02-11-11, 12:46
From the Viking Tactics website:

THE VIKING SIGHT (http://www.vikingtactics.com/viking-sight.html)

http://www.vikingtactics.com/images/vikingsights-multi2.jpg

Product Code: VTAC-VSMP
Retail Pricing: $239.99
Introductory Pricing: $214.99
(NOTE: Currently only available for the Smith & Wesson M&P)

PRODUCT INFORMATION:
Unlike any sight on the market, the Revolutionary design of the Viking Sight will enhance your ability to close with and destroy the threat, day or night. The Viking Sight from Viking Tactics, Inc. features a tapered front sight that will draw you immediately to the correct aiming point. This sight is not only tapered for speed, but to help with accuracy at distance when needed. The tapered sight leads to an indestructible fiber optic that will help to drive your focus where it is needed. These sights are extremely fast. The rear sight notch has also been cut lower than normal to not only enhance speed, but to allow the shooter to see the tritium vials that have been inserted below the fiber optic. The Viking Sight will allow you to have the fine aiming point that you want and need, coupled with fiber optic to help draw your attention. If the sun goes down you are now able to use the tritium that is slightly below the fiber optic.
Tapered Front Sight; Serrated Front and Rear Sights; Fiber Optic Speed Sight; Tritium Night Sights

Cameron
02-11-11, 13:07
Model M&P9 VTAC® Viking Tactics $779.00 (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_783001_-1_757954_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y) or Model M&P40 VTAC® Viking Tactics $779.00 (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_783002_-1_757955_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y)

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/209921_01_lg.jpg

Model: M&P9 VTAC®
Caliber: 9mm
Capacity: 17+1 Rounds
Action: Striker Fire Action
Barrel Length: 4.25" / 10.8 cm
Front Sight: VTAC® Warrior
Rear Sight: VTAC® Warrior
Overall Length: 7.63" / 19.4 cm
Weight: 24 oz./680.4 g
Grip: Polymer
Frame Material: Polymer
Slide Material: Stainless Steel
Finish: Flat Dark Earth (FDE)
Other Features: Durable PVD Coated Slide
Purpose: Competitive/Recreational/Home Protection

STS
02-11-11, 13:37
A terrible picture I took at SHOT. I really liked the sights - were not confusing in the least.

I too really liked the sights. I went to SHOT prepared to hate them, but I was surprised. I found them to be very easy to pick up and not busy at all.

dc202
02-28-11, 21:57
This model is now out in the 40 cal version, for anyone interested in buying one.

Heidevolk
02-28-11, 22:22
It should come from the factory with the Apex upgrades at that price :-)

dc202
02-28-11, 22:28
The retail right now is running around $650. That seems like a fair price without the Apex upgrades given the cost of the sights.

Heidevolk
02-28-11, 23:44
The retail right now is running around $650. That seems like a fair price without the Apex upgrades given the cost of the sights.

I was going based on the MSRP

Model M&P9 VTAC® Viking Tactics $779.00

dc202
03-01-11, 17:06
I was noting the prices that real people actually pay.

C4IGrant
03-01-11, 17:24
We have 9mm and 40's in stock now.

C4

dc202
03-01-11, 17:33
I couldn't find them on your web site. I am ready to order.

MCS
03-01-11, 17:45
Will there be a .45acp vtac model?

eternal24k
03-01-11, 17:47
ok team,
someone go buy one and give me the good word

Rosco Benson
03-01-11, 19:32
I think that the fly in the ointment is that TruGlo has a patent on using tritium vials to illuminate fiber optics. Aerotek used to offer such an arrangement, but I think they were driven out of it by TruGlo. This wouldn't be so bad if the TruGlo TFO's weren't so badly executed.

I suspect this is why the VTAC folks went with the 6-dot arrangement.

Rosco

C4IGrant
03-02-11, 09:08
I couldn't find them on your web site. I am ready to order.

Here you go: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=209921 and http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=209920

C4

C4IGrant
03-02-11, 09:13
Will there be a .45acp vtac model?

Doubtful.

C4

MCS
03-02-11, 11:08
Too bad.

razors
03-03-11, 10:20
Im purchasing one within a week...local shop owner owns the 9mm and does not think the sights are too busy at all. Ive read some good stuff on the PVD slide coating.

B.K.
03-03-11, 11:23
G&R has a good price on these!

Watrdawg
03-03-11, 11:48
Doubtful.

C4

No 45 VTAC! That stinks.

snappy
03-03-11, 19:17
Beautiful looking pistol. The sights sort of confuse me though. Wouldn't using the tritium sights cause the front post to obscure your target and move your point of aim significantly below your point of impact if the pistol was zeroed in traditional manner?

I'm definitely not questioning KL's credibility or value as a product designer, and I can be a bit dense sometimes and miss the obvious, but I don't get how this works out. Anyone shooting one yet? :confused:

dc202
03-04-11, 00:17
Grant, those 40 caliber VTACs didn't last long. Any word on getting more?

C4IGrant
03-04-11, 08:53
Grant, those 40 caliber VTACs didn't last long. Any word on getting more?

I have more on order. Shoot me an e-mail and I will contact you when they come in.

C4

pittbull
03-04-11, 11:50
Grant,
Any way to get an accurate measurement on the sight height?
My search-fu is failing me at the moment...

C4IGrant
03-04-11, 11:57
Grant,
Any way to get an accurate measurement on the sight height?
My search-fu is failing me at the moment...

From what I can tell, the front sight is .217.

C4

pittbull
03-04-11, 11:59
Thank you, sir.

C4IGrant
03-04-11, 12:08
Thank you, sir.

You are welcome.

C4

Mat
03-04-11, 19:20
I think I read somewhere that the VTAC M&P has a slightly wider trigger guard. If true that means it won't fit in a VM2 holster, correct?

AKIA_AZ
03-05-11, 03:06
I can't answer about the VM2 but Grant checked for me and said it will work with RCS holsters just fine.

C4IGrant
03-05-11, 09:31
I think I read somewhere that the VTAC M&P has a slightly wider trigger guard. If true that means it won't fit in a VM2 holster, correct?

Tested the hoslter in a RCS and VM2 and it fit just fine.

C4

ReBeLaCe
03-11-11, 00:25
Anybody got ideas on who has any in stock? I have been searching everywhere. Never tried so hard to give someone my money before haha.

eternal24k
03-11-11, 06:15
Anybody got ideas on who has any in stock? I have been searching everywhere. Never tried so hard to give someone my money before haha.

Check Buds, they did a day ago

ReBeLaCe
03-11-11, 10:13
Check Buds, they did a day ago

They have the .40 version I am looking for 9mm. Thanks for the heads up though!

eternal24k
03-11-11, 10:25
looks like it sold out fast.
this was the one i was referencing

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/69314

ReBeLaCe
03-11-11, 10:26
looks like it sold out fast.
this was the one i was referencing

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/69314

Yeah I have been checking them pretty regular and haven't seen any movement on it. Maybe I missed it. That sucks.

eternal24k
03-11-11, 10:30
Yeah I have been checking them pretty regular and haven't seen any movement on it. Maybe I missed it. That sucks.

put it on your wishlist I got the notification on the 9th

jdub75
03-11-11, 11:05
check out express police supply. I just looked at them a few days ago, and they had the best price on them (under $600). I got 2 of the trade in glocks a while back, and they seem good to go--shipped fast enuf, and even sent me a replacement mag without any hassel (the mags are used as well on the trade ins...had a messed up one).

B.K.
03-13-11, 03:39
Looks like Grant has the 40 back in stock!!

BigHate
03-14-11, 04:09
Not to derail the thread, but will G and R be getting the new M&P 9mm in FDE? As of now they only come in a package? If anyone knows?:confused:

urbanamish
06-09-11, 09:21
I'd rather buy from G&R, but for those who are looking, Buds has the VTAC 9mm in stock as of this morning.

I can't afford it now, unfortunately, or I'd spring for one.

C4IGrant
06-09-11, 11:28
Not to derail the thread, but will G and R be getting the new M&P 9mm in FDE? As of now they only come in a package? If anyone knows?:confused:

Some day, but don't know when. All capacity is going to International Contracts right now.

C4

BigHate
06-11-11, 00:58
Some day, but don't know when. All capacity is going to International Contracts right now.

C4

Thanks for the response Grant! Any more VTAC M&P's coming in to you? Looking to pick one up.

C4IGrant
06-11-11, 07:55
Thanks for the response Grant! Any more VTAC M&P's coming in to you? Looking to pick one up.

They are on order.

C4

30 cal slut
06-12-11, 07:13
I fondled one yesterday. Color was FDE.

There are two sets of sight inserts - fiber optic sitting on top of tritium (front and rear).

The trigger was a bit firmer than what I'm used to. Nothing that an APEX sear can't change.

Pretty slick looking gun.

kmrtnsn
07-15-11, 12:53
Well, 1,400 rounds down the pipe, mostly 124 gr HP's, I finally had my first issue with the pistol. The high visibilty vial on the front sight parted ways. I am not surprised. I don't know who makes these sights for Viking Tactics and Smith and Wesson but the Tru-Glow sights used by are SRT guys break at a high rate of frequency. I am deciding what I want to replace them with, a set of Mepro night sights or maybe a set of Trijicons.

trinydex
07-15-11, 13:03
You cant just replace the fiber?

Dos Cylindros
07-15-11, 13:36
Well, 1,400 rounds down the pipe, mostly 124 gr HP's, I finally had my first issue with the pistol. The high visibilty vial on the front sight parted ways. I am not surprised. I don't know who makes these sights for Viking Tactics and Smith and Wesson but the Tru-Glow sights used by are SRT guys break at a high rate of frequency. I am deciding what I want to replace them with, a set of Mepro night sights or maybe a set of Trijicons.

That does suck, but points out one of the pluses of FO or tritium sights. Once the insert breaks or falls out, you still have functional iron sights to work with. On the VTAC you also still have tritium or FO depending on which one fails, but I still find that sght picture a bit "busy" for me. Hope you get the issue resolved quickly.

MSteele
07-15-11, 14:51

Trijicon HD NS work great... The VTAC sights do seem a bit busy.

MCS
09-30-11, 16:13
Is this going to be a limited produced gun or is S&W plan on keeping this on the model lineup? I would really want to pick one of these up!

red headed stranger
09-30-11, 16:32
I set up an email alert at Bud's for when they come in. I got the email a couple days ago, and by the time I made it to the site, they were gone.

kmrtnsn
09-30-11, 21:26
Trijicon HD NS work great... The VTAC sights do seem a bit busy.

Not busy at all. I ended up buying replacement tube material, about 3 feet worth, replaced it, glued it in, no problems since.

Icculus
10-10-11, 12:20
Not busy at all. I ended up buying replacement tube material, about 3 feet worth, replaced it, glued it in, no problems since.

I just purchased one of these is and I have to agree. I thought the sights might be terribly busy but I actually like them after my first trip to the range with it.

Of course my new gun doesn't run for shit but the sights aren't busy ;). I'm sure it will break in and be fine, its just frustrating because I have never had to experience a break-in period with a pistol. Everything I have (including a couple of other M&P's) has run like a top straight out of the box.

First 100 rounds out of multiple known good mags I kept getting failure to feed's. After firing one or two rounds, one would get stuck angled up trying to feed into the chamber. Also had several failures to extract. After about 50 rounds I decided to strip the pistol down again and relube just to see if it helped. After locking the slide back, pushing the yellow lever inside down and then rotating the take down lever, the slide still wouldn't come off and I ended up having to pull the trigger before it would come off. When I went to reassemble, after I put the slide on, the yellow lever inside didn't move back up to the normal position (like it does in my others) and basically was stuck down and blocking the insertion of a fresh mag.

I love my M&P's but this one definitely has gremlins. Back to the range today to see if I can shake the bugs out.

Irish
10-10-11, 12:35
I shot a few magazines out of one of these a couple of weeks ago at an LMS Defense class. My initial thoughts prior to shooting the gun were that the sights seemed to be a bit too busy. However, after shooting it I really liked them. The only problem I might foresee happening is difficulty finding a holster that will accomodate the taller sights. The owner didn't have a holster for his and was just letting people test run it.

Really nice shooting gun and the sights worked very well.

kmrtnsn
10-10-11, 12:58
I shot a few magazines out of one of these a couple of weeks ago at an LMS Defense class. My initial thoughts prior to shooting the gun were that the sights seemed to be a bit too busy. However, after shooting it I really liked them. The only problem I might foresee happening is difficulty finding a holster that will accomodate the taller sights. The owner didn't have a holster for his and was just letting people test run it.

Really nice shooting gun and the sights worked very well.

Mine fits easily in both a custom Kydex holster I had made and a Safariland ALS with a TLR-1.

kmrtnsn
10-10-11, 13:00
I just purchased one of these is and I have to agree. I thought the sights might be terribly busy but I actually like them after my first trip to the range with it.

Of course my new gun doesn't run for shit but the sights aren't busy ;). I'm sure it will break in and be fine, its just frustrating because I have never had to experience a break-in period with a pistol. Everything I have (including a couple of other M&P's) has run like a top straight out of the box.

First 100 rounds out of multiple known good mags I kept getting failure to feed's. After firing one or two rounds, one would get stuck angled up trying to feed into the chamber. Also had several failures to extract. After about 50 rounds I decided to strip the pistol down again and relube just to see if it helped. After locking the slide back, pushing the yellow lever inside down and then rotating the take down lever, the slide still wouldn't come off and I ended up having to pull the trigger before it would come off. When I went to reassemble, after I put the slide on, the yellow lever inside didn't move back up to the normal position (like it does in my others) and basically was stuck down and blocking the insertion of a fresh mag.

I love my M&P's but this one definitely has gremlins. Back to the range today to see if I can shake the bugs out.

I have fired nothing but 124gr. jacketed hollowpoints without a hick-up.

Icculus
10-10-11, 15:34
The only problem I might foresee happening is difficulty finding a holster that will accomodate the taller sights.

Can't speak for every holster but it seems to work ok in my Comp-tac and a couple of pages back Grant said he checked and it fit in a RCS fine.

Irish
10-10-11, 15:40
Can't speak for every holster but it seems to work ok in my Comp-tac and a couple of pages back Grant said he checked and it fit in a RCS fine.

I'd say it's a non-issue then. ;)

FChen17213
10-22-11, 13:40
I put the first 100 rounds through mine today. Unfortunately, the gun experienced two light primer strikes. Looking at the shell casings, it definitely seems that the M&P has a much lighter primer dent than a Glock. 100 is nothing and I will put maybe 500 rounds through it before reaching any sort of conclusion, but I really hope this problem goes away. The sights actually weren't too busy for me either. They were fine.

JHC
10-22-11, 15:32
I ran a few magazines full through one last Sunday. I thought the sights worked well and were outstanding with one caveat. While the owner was shooting it, it lost the fiber optic rod. It hadn't gotten to 200 rds yet at that point.

The trigger was very good.

USA
10-22-11, 16:07
Military Arms Channel recently did a review of the VTAC M&P Pistol.

kmrtnsn
10-22-11, 16:10
I ran a few magazines full through one last Sunday. I thought the sights worked well and were outstanding with one caveat. While the owner was shooting it, it lost the fiber optic rod. It hadn't gotten to 200 rds yet at that point.

The trigger was very good.

Search earlier in this thread for my comments concerning the fibre-optic tube, have the owner contact me via PM if he wants some tube to fix it himself, I have plenty.

dc202
10-22-11, 21:15
Mine (9mm version) has been flawless through 500 rounds with a mixture of ammo, including HPs.

JHC
10-23-11, 13:00
Search earlier in this thread for my comments concerning the fibre-optic tube, have the owner contact me via PM if he wants some tube to fix it himself, I have plenty.

I ran into him on the range again this morning and he already fixed up his fiber optic tube. Nice of you to offer. I shot it before and after the FO tube launched and the site really worked well as solid black with a tritium dot also. I have never fretted about fragility of FO much because the front sight still works pretty well. ;)

Javelin
10-23-11, 13:06
You kind of lost me at S&W.... :p

kmrtnsn
10-23-11, 15:09
I ran into him on the range again this morning and he already fixed up his fiber optic tube. Nice of you to offer. I shot it before and after the FO tube launched and the site really worked well as solid black with a tritium dot also. I have never fretted about fragility of FO much because the front sight still works pretty well. ;)

Let him know the offer stands, should he have an issue in the future.

Dachs
10-23-11, 16:48
interest = peaked

piqued* ;)