PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up an M&P 9FS (new member intro)

mugenr
05-10-10, 23:26
Hey guys. I've been trolling these forums for a year or so now gathering some awesome information. :D Decided to post since this forum's info led me to my recent purchase.

I was deciding between a Glock 17 Gen 4 and the Smith and Wesson M&P 9. I gotta say the M&P has very comfortable ergos and the beaver tail protects my big mits from getting bit by the slide.

I'm mainly a DA/SA shooter, but latley I've been leaning towards the simplicity of having a consistent pull weight.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.:D

Here is the picture of my newly purchased pistol.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj59/SCATL/SW_MP_9FS.jpg

TheSmiter1
05-11-10, 01:29
I had an M&P 9. Great weapon. I had to sell it in a moment of financial difficulty. I have a Glock 19 at the moment, but the M&P sure was a sweet shooter.

It's got less recoil and is more ergonomic to me than the Glock is. The Glock does have one thing that the M&P doesn't: a 22lr conversion kit. I'll be getting another M&P as soon as they release a 22lr conversion or standalone M&P pistol.

Thankfully the Glock doesn't give me slide bite. But for those that do get bit, now there's always the M&P.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your M&P. :)

opmike
05-11-10, 01:55
Great handguns for sure. Easily the most pleasant polymer handguns to shoot IMO.

How positive is the manual safety on yours? A couple of the ones I tried were mush.

mugenr
05-11-10, 02:06
It's got less recoil and is more ergonomic to me than the Glock is. The Glock does have one thing that the M&P doesn't: a 22lr conversion kit. I'll be getting another M&P as soon as they release a 22lr conversion or standalone M&P pistol.

Thankfully the Glock doesn't give me slide bite. But for those that do get bit, now there's always the M&P.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your M&P. :)

Thanks for the welcome. I did notice the soft recoil on the M&P which made follow up shots so much easier. So far I'm loving the purchase.

The slide bite is a problem for my large hands. I love my P7M8, but I got scars that prove it doesn't love me back.:D I had the same issues with the glocks.

How positive is the manual safety on yours? A couple of the ones I tried were mush.

I get a nice solid click when going off safe and on. and the position of the safety (IMO) is perfect. My thumb will comfortably rest on top of the safety and take it off safe once drawn.

jmoore
05-11-10, 08:23
FWIW....

When I first got my M&P 9 FS, the safety was mushy. For reasons I can't explain (haven't torn into the pistol yet to look at how the safety works) it keeps getting better with use (+/- 1500 rounds or so). My logic says a safety should get easier/mushier with use. Not so with the M&P.

When I get time here in a few weeks, I'll install the Apex kit to take care of the trigger. Yes - that HAS improved some - but still not to my liking (old school 1911 guy:)

Also FWIW - I was bitchin up a storm about the lack of accuracy the first month or so of ownership. And yes, I could shoot my G17 just as well as my 1911s, so it wasn't d/t the striker system involved - or so I thought. Turns out that I was partially to blame, simply because the trigger was both different enough (from the Glock) and BAD enough to cause most of the problem. I've probably tightened up the groups 40% now - and hope the remainder will tighten up after the Apex therapy:)

Shoot safe!

Rated21R
05-11-10, 08:33
Congrats on the purchase. Buy lots of ammo and shoot the hell out of it. I love mine. Welcome.

jaxman7
05-11-10, 12:32
Welcome aboard M4C(M&P).net! Ha ha This place made me do two things I thought I'd never do. Put my 1911 in the closet and switch back to 9mm! There really is an absolute wealth of knowledge on here given out by some helpful people. Words of warning though, you WILL be spending more money since you are a member! Trust me on this one. :eek:

G34Shooter
05-11-10, 13:25
Welcome to M4C and the M&P club :D

S391
05-11-10, 13:29
Excellent choice!!! (in my best Ted Knight)... top notch.... top notch!

Welcome to the club and welcome to M4C.net.

M4arc
05-11-10, 13:52
Very nice man, and welcome to M4C!

GermanSynergy
05-11-10, 15:01
Congrats on a nice looking shooter!

RogerinTPA
05-11-10, 18:39
Nice! Caution, M&Ps have a tendency to multiply. I started with one and now have four....;)

mugenr
05-11-10, 18:49
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Nice! Caution, M&Ps have a tendency to multiply. I started with one and now have four....;)

I've already started thinking about getting the M&P 9c:rolleyes:.

But first, I got the Apex Hard Sear and USB, Surefire x300, and factory extended barrel on it's way. Now to find a good suppressor and night sights. :p

RogerinTPA
05-11-10, 20:05
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've already started thinking about getting the M&P 9c:rolleyes:.

But first, I got the Apex Hard Sear and USB, Surefire x300, and factory extended barrel on it's way. Now to find a good suppressor and night sights. :p

The 9c is an excellent weapon. I have around 7K rounds fired through it, Heinie Ledge 2 dot night sights, CT laser grip, Apex sear and is my daily carry weapon. I shoot it better that my FS 9 (God knows why).